forum

i stream too slow for my rank

posted
Total Posts
show more
Martell_old_1

Sylveon wrote:

Obviously practise... But for me I found that when I switched from my rubbish keyboard to a mechanical one that on the day the mechanical one was delivered I had already improved ALOT just from changing keyboards. I think it's important to practise with decent equipment or your just wasting time. I got a repetitive strain injury from practising with my old keyboard and my streaming never improved. However now I feel I can really focus on not mashing and other streaming techniques
I got RSI from playing with red switches.
Improve? I think not.
GoldenWolf

Sylveon wrote:

I got a repetitive strain injury from practising with my old keyboard and my streaming never improved.

Martell wrote:

I got RSI from playing with red switches.
You guys got RSI because of however wrong you were using your hands, not because of your keyboards.
Ichi

GoldenWolf wrote:

You guys got RSI because of however wrong you were using your hands, not because of your keyboards.
true this, the hand positioning must be good to avoid injury. This aside, my tip for improving streams would be to go to a map which has some 15-20 note streams on it (straight streams preferably), i´ll suggest the map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/68075 its 200bpm so maybe you won´t do it but at least you know the type of map i talk about. So you approach a map like this and do your best to stream as much as you can until you tire, then you keep doing singles on the map until you feel your stamina recover, and repeat the process. Eventually keep doing this for like an hour til you feel your fingers are warmed up. Now go back to the bpm you where comfortable before and try streaming it with almost no pressure on the keys. Tap as light as you can and stream like this for some time, then go back to the map you struggled with and attempt it with light and fast tapping.

I used to not be able to stream 180bpm for more than 40 notes at my rank, and by doing this i could reach 240 (still got same rank tho but who cares)
Yakuyan

Sylveon wrote:

I think it's important to practise with decent equipment or your just wasting time.
Practicing with a shitty keyboard really isn't a waste of time. Playing with a rubberdome to me is like ankle weights in running. If you can play high BPM maps and stream very well with stiff rubberdomes, playing with a mech, your stamina will go through the roof. I haven't played with a mech keyboard that much since I was only borrowing but I felt so much better playing with them. Maybe to you, its a waste, but maybe to some people its more of a benefit than a con.
Dexus
The keyboard itself is irrelevant to how well you can stream (to a certain extent). Rank itself is irrelevant to how well you can stream (to a certain extent).

If you vibrate/mash your fingers red switches are of course going to make you seem better, black switches and rubber dome keys are just forcing you to do it in a more proper way. I'm not saying black switches will make you good at streaming or you'll be perfect if you use a certain key types. How you move your fingers and how much time you dedicate to practicing streams is what matters.

Good practice is playing slow streams and lifting your fingers high and pressing down as fast and as accurately as possible but only lift your other finger once they are both touching. With even motions with both fingers with equal rest time on and off the key is important. Also correlate what each note is in the stream with sounds within the song so you can ensure you're playing accurately.

I've been working on streams for several years and can say it's a pain in the neck; the hardest thing to get is speed to play faster longer streams. Stamina doesn't really seem to be a thing and it's more so that you're moving your fingers incorrectly or too slowly. Speed comes with natural abilities and repetition. The more you practice stuff at certain speeds the more it will be a normal thing for you to do. When doing 200bpm all the time it will make anything slower than it seem easy, but not everyone can start out at 200bpm so that's where the natural ability part comes in. This doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to suck at life if you can't even do 140bpm it just means that you're going to have to work a lot longer and a lot harder than other players.
nooblet

kymotsujason wrote:

Or you could do what I did and play Freedom Dive [4D] on HT over 500 times. It did help me... I can stream at 270bpm.
How is it humanly possible to even consider this streaming like what in the mother of ... I don't even ... That's like, pure mashing, not even the kind of mashing I do ...

Topic: Please don't do the above and mash to your hearts content claiming it's streaming. Do some burst streams (5-9 notes) a little above your limit (say, 180-190 ish?), but be sure you're accurate an not hitting your keys 5 times as fast as you can hoping they'll be 300s. Play at a speed you can confidently and consistently get 95+ on. Also do slower long streams (like long stream practice maps). They're hard at first, you'll definitely have to grind them many many times before you get the hang of it, but that's how you develop muscle memory. There's no shortcut, except mashing, which isn't really a shortcut because you'll hit a dead end FAST. I'm trying to turn back, and it's one helluva hard habit to get rid of. So don't do it.
Aka
who
cares
what
bpm
you
can
stream
just
play
the
game
and
find
your
style
GoldenWolf

kymotsujason wrote:

Or you could do what I did and play Freedom Dive [4D] on HT over 500 times. It did help me... I can stream at 270bpm.
lol, nice double tapping you got there

this is horrible streaming though
well it's not even streaming so yeah
Dexus
@Aka
BPM = Speed
DT = Lots of speed = Lots of PP

It only makes sense that the faster you can play and more accurately the more ranks you can get. The faster you are the easier it should be to hit notes. Saying BPM doesn't matter is very ignorant. Of course aim is an important factor but that's a different topic entirely.
kymotsujason

GoldenWolf wrote:

kymotsujason wrote:

lol, nice double tapping you got there

this is horrible streaming though
well it's not even streaming so yeah
There were only 2 streams in that video that can be considered streaming, the rest are just mashing. Replays are quite useful, I found out the problems in my playstyle and fixed a lot of them (less mashing, more streaming).
By the way, I define streaming as alternatively tapping and mashing as tapping with both fingers at the same time if that helps anyone.
Aka

Dexus wrote:

@Aka
BPM = Speed
DT = Lots of speed = Lots of PP

It only makes sense that the faster you can play and more accurately the more ranks you can get. The faster you are the easier it should be to hit notes. Saying BPM doesn't matter is very ignorant. Of course aim is an important factor but that's a different topic entirely.
yes, it doesnt matter. how the map is mapped itself - metters a lot. you can gain same pp from 240bpm dt score and hr/hrhd 160-180bpm one if it is mapped in a way which will give you an opportunity to do this

im out
Ichi
It is relative and both will matter in a certain way, if considering the exact same mapping style speed will count more, and if considering simple patterns with high bpm vs complex jumps, squares, big spacing, with less bpm then they will probably be the same or the latter would give more pp. Not something really important tho. PP sucks
GoldenWolf

kymotsujason wrote:

By the way, I define streaming as alternatively tapping and mashing as tapping with both fingers at the same time if that helps anyone.
Meh. Doubletapping is using both fingers at the time, mashing is alternating your fingers but just hope for the best.
At the very best I only saw mashing in that video, not a single stream was done properly, but if you prefer your definition of "streaming" then it's up to you ¯\(°◡o)/¯
ETHICALMOUSEUSE
delete all stream maps in possession
problem solved
beeboy123

Hryukat wrote:

problem solved

Instead of solving problems you just ignore them and never improve. 10/10 advice
ilikepudge
Do lots and lots of triplets and you will stream much better
-Soba-
Is there a set bpm to stream for each rank? I wonder if I'm on par for mine
DENKOUSEKKA

Hryukat wrote:

DeletedUser_613592
im near #50 in dis world and i can't stream above 200bpm, deal with it scrubs
B1rd
I wish I could stream any bpm.