forum

How to stop mashing?

posted
Total Posts
show more
B1rd
I have the same problem.

The solution: practice easy maps. I've been playing hards and long AR8 insane maps everyday, as well as AR9 insane, and I retry every time I miss (unless it was from a stream, I suck at those...). So I've been training my self to read every note properly and not to miss. Don't play maps that are too fast and you have to spam through.

It's been working so far, but consistence isn't something you can develop overnight. I think it takes a lot of frustration and retries on long slow maps.
AmaiHachimitsu
Practice slow streams, below 120 bpm. It helps you take control over your fingers
timemon
People also mash when their aim isn't good enough to play the map.
if you move your cursor faster, you will have more room to breathe before you have to hit the next circle.

TL;DR aim affects speed and speed affects aim.
Topic Starter
sayonara_sekai
i noticed my single tapping is MUCH faster and consistent on my index finger than middle (ive been using middle since I started). The problem is I always revert to middle finger when I see a triple/stream. Has anyone succesfully switches their dominant finger? I'm trying to force myself to start everything with x instead of z but I guess its so hard wired into my brain that its not working.
Vuelo Eluko
singletap with index more
theres no other way
f i z i k

phonics wrote:

i noticed my single tapping is MUCH faster and consistent on my index finger than middle (ive been using middle since I started). The problem is I always revert to middle finger when I see a triple/stream. Has anyone succesfully switches their dominant finger? I'm trying to force myself to start everything with x instead of z but I guess its so hard wired into my brain that its not working.
you can try but its a waste of time and just your imagination. the easiest way to work on that is start playing 7k mania for some time until you gain finger independence and do all those exercises that people do when learning to play piano,and some day you can use whatever finger for whatever you want. of course this will take a long time,considering youre trying to change a habit you had for 10k plays
Sophia

phonics wrote:

Don't mind it and go tapping with middle finger until it's at the same speed. Will also help for streaming in the future.
IppE
play BASARA

loads of BASARA

technique before speed
Topic Starter
sayonara_sekai

IppE wrote:

play BASARA

loads of BASARA

technique before speed
lmfao i cant even finish the normal map. kill me now.
Vuelo Eluko

IppE wrote:

play BASARA

loads of BASARA

technique before speed
this map is better for improving your speed than technique, imo. at least [BASARA] is, i didnt try the other diffs..

how didnt i notice mouse buttons were enabled wtf
rip combos
buny

Riince wrote:

IppE wrote:

play BASARA

loads of BASARA

technique before speed
this map is better for improving your speed than technique, imo. at least [BASARA] is, i didnt try the other diffs..

how didnt i notice mouse buttons were enabled wtf
rip combos
It's like 120 bpm...

Only good for improving slow and spaced stream.
Vuelo Eluko
130 bpm
so unless you can already consistently singletap 260 with perfect acc it's good speed practice.
there isnt really any spacing to speak of, all the notes are touching.

basically im suggesting op speed up his singletap to the point where ultra slow streams below mendes are irrelevant. that's another way to get over mashing is being able to singletap more things.
buny

Riince wrote:

130 bpm
so unless you can already consistently singletap 260 with perfect acc it's good speed practice.
there isnt really any spacing to speak of, all the notes are touching.
Except this map isn't asking for advice on singletapping

Also I don't think you know how spacing works.
Vuelo Eluko
meh
Martell_old_1

phonics wrote:

I'm starting to realize I spent wayyyy too much time playing really hard maps with zero natural sense of rhythm and now its coming to bite me in the ass hard. I really should of spent way longer on 3 star maps but now when I go back to them all my bad habits from playing maps too hard come out. I'm totally useless when it comes to rhythm unless its a song I'm very familiar with.

I press too many buttons (3 keys for doubles), overstream, mash through stacks, mash slider streams and those are just the biggest issues. Only maps I can get good acc anymore are ones with very simple beats, no long slider/single alterating sections and few doubles. (example: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/143798&m=0)

Should I just reset and go back to normals or some crap and work my way back up until I can consistently 97+% acc every map below 4 stars?
Listen to the song and go with a flow instead of focusing on dem approach circles
nooblet
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/89799

I dare you not to mash this. HT if you need, it'll make you break a sweat if you do it PROPERLY. Best anti mash evar
IppE

buny wrote:

He doesn't know how anything works, it's safe to just ignore him.
Vuelo Eluko

IppE wrote:

buny wrote:

He doesn't know how anything works, it's safe to just ignore him.
you are painfully ignorant
Blueprint
I've been there it'll go away just focus on accuracy if you get a 50 restart/quit
GoldenWolf

nooblet wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/89799

I dare you not to mash this. HT if you need, it'll make you break a sweat if you do it PROPERLY. Best anti mash evar
dis brain-breaking map
Pettanko
mfw people singletap <=130 bpm streams instead of alternating them like a real man

l2stream low bpm scrubs lel
Vuelo Eluko

Pettanko wrote:

mfw people singletap <=130 bpm streams instead of alternating them like a real man

why would you alternate when you can singletap
B1rd

Blueprint wrote:

I've been there it'll go away just focus on accuracy if you get a 50 restart/quit
just retry until you get too frustrated on the map to play it good.

Riince wrote:

Pettanko wrote:

why would you alternate when you can singletap
look at lewa's most played, alternating low bpm is how you get good streaming accuracy.
f i z i k

B1rd wrote:

look at lewa's most played, alternating low bpm is how you get good streaming accuracy.
or because he has the best HD DT run on it - one of 3
lewa is good at accuracy because he understands music and played shitloads of od10 i suppose
B1rd

f i z i k wrote:

B1rd wrote:

or because he has the best HD DT run on it - one of 3
lewa is good at accuracy because he understands music and played shitloads of od10 i suppose
yes, he played it no mod first though.