forum

[History] First Taiko BAT Anniversary!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
OnosakiHito
Today the 02.08.2014 is the first anniversary of the Taiko BATs which has been found the 02.08.2013, with the addition of the first TBATs, OnosakiHito and Tasha, choosen by the BATmanagers from that time and Ephemeral.

Its first mention lies in the earlier years of osu, but has become more important after the amount of ranked Taiko difficulties has risen.
Due to this, there was a research for people who could provide knowledge in both game modes, osu! and Taiko, to make sure that Taiko difficulties with a decent quality get ranked. So in general you can say, these people were the very first Taiko BATs who had beside their main task(checking osu maps), also the task to have an eye on Taikos. People from that time were for example wmfchris, kanpakyin or MMzz, which some of them still remained as BAT.

Later, the amount of Taikos has reached a significant number, which was hard to manage in a long run. That was the time where the first official Taiko rules has been established(based on Rokodo's Guide), which was the first step into having rankable Taiko-Sets(#1 #2 #3).

Due to an -more or less- explosive rise of difficulties, Taiko Maps with significant problems got ranked as well, which has lead to several discussions between the Taiko- and osu-Community. Its piek was reached after another Map with quality issues got ranked, which brought back the urge to roleback the topic about having Taiko BATs who only take care of this game mode. So as ironically it sounds, this map opened the way for real Taiko BATs, which reasons has been stated by OnosakiHito to the Community Manager. The quotation can be found in the spolier down below, which is from the 10.06.2013:

First release

OnosakiHito wrote:

Subject: Taiko BAT ? [invalid]

Ephemeral wrote:

The teams will not be divided any further and we already have several members of staff whom are capable, established Taiko modders.
p/2354828/

Hey Ephemeral,
it's been a while since our last contact. Hope you are doing good.

Before I start to say anything about this topic, please let me make one thing clear: I won't complain in this PM.
I would like to know some things concerning to osu's current system by considering the current case right now and I'm confident about, that you will give me a proper answer which no one from the BAT Team gave me before.

I hope you have read my whole post in this thread, because the questions which I posted there are serious. Maybe I should repost them here.

OnosakiHito wrote:

[...]
Can someone explain the system of osu to me? I think I misunderstood here something?
peppy and other higher BATs disagree with a Taiko Team or some guys who are experienced in it to join the BAT team, because they think the current team can handle it already pretty well. But all I can see here is a skim or ignore of the Taiko difficulties which has the consequence that the Taiko difficultie has been checked too insufficiently.

The problem here is, that this isn't the first time something like that happened, but still, the same mistake has been done. How is that even possible?
4 BATs out of 4 didn't notice the massive issues of the map. This is truly a masterful performance.
So far it goes well with the ranking system when an experienced Taiko Mapper is doing a guest diff.. But if it happens once, that a new mapper is coming and doing a difficultie, this confident to a mapper of the BAT Team can't help anymore. New mappers need proper mods to be able to learn of it and be able to get a decent taiko map ranked so next time they might be able to improve their mapping skill. Unfortunaley this isn't the case here. Unfortunaley.

It is not the current BATs fault, they are just not experienced enough to do the work. It is rather a problem of the current system which is Taiko unfriendly.
Neither it's the fault of the mapper who made the Taiko difficultie. I assume this mapper is a fresh one, so he/she isn't able to considere the usage of patterns well enough right now, which is actually the reason to have some mods for this mapper.

[...]
You know Ephemeral, I'm already for a quite long time in osu and I noticed many things during these years.
This is unfortunaley not the first time such a Taiko difficultie got ranked and it is by far over the fifth or sixth time that I have need to suggest unranking a map-set. And you know that I'm not the only person around here who do so.

Even though we said it many times to keep an eye on Taiko difficulties, the same mistakes has been repeat.
I also told the BATs enough times not to wait, and ask us experienced taiko mappers to help when they are not sure about a rank. Even then just a handful came to us. The unranks continued and the request for help faded out.

Of course, unranks can happen. Everyone can miss something in a map, no matter how good he or she is in modding. I can understand that, really.

But what I can't understand is to tell us, the user, in form of an unwanted lie, who keep osu alive and buy even sometimes supporter TAGs to give ppy the possibility to fly to japan and pay for the root, that the current BAT Team has established Taiko modders who are capable of preventing such ranks, while the converse is the case. I really can't understand this Ephemeral. And even here I'm not the only one.

It is true that the BAT Team has received some modders which are experienced in taiko modding. At the beginning I was confident about this move. But please, let's be honest when considering the current state of Taiko modding:
The normal BATs are officially responsible for the rank of a project by a quality check of all game mode specific difficulties, but inofficially most BATs mod what they are able to. Grab a ranked Taiko GD and make your own opinion about this point. In the most cases where the BATs modded osu-taiko sets they are confident with the one or two Taiko mods or the mapper it-self, so they rank it without knowing is it right or wrong.

And even though we have BATs which are also Taiko experienced, they won't find enough time to help you as Taiko Mapper, since they have already a bunch of -as they say- overload of work/osu-modding/school work to do. I experienced that really often and I'm not the only one again(my Taiko Modding Team suffered due to this).

The top of the story is when we look at the current taiko-set situation. The people have literally no one which they can rely on when its about modding. They do rely somehow on me, but even I can't give what a BAT is just able to do. Motivaiting people to finding mods by giving afterwards a rank for their hard work.

The Taiko community of the english speakers dies. Slowly. The mappers are leaving one by one, finding no future in the ranking system anymore. That means a decrease of modding and maps for people who were actually able to learn out of this. The effect of this are unexperienced modders and mappers who endanger a ranked project.
The foundation has become many cracks as it had never before.

So right now the Taiko community is -as we in germany say- thrown into cold water, without significant support. What I heard so far breaks my heart. And even worse is it for me, that I have no idea what I could do for this community I love so much, anymore. What's happening right now is no illusion. It is the blank fact for our community.

That's why I want to come back to the questions, "How does the osu modding/mapping system work?".
and "How is it possible, that even after multiple mistakes in the ranking progres the team still didn't learn out of this mistakes?".

Do we need to sacrifice all our mappers and players before something is gonna happen?
Right now it seems so.
We don't want a Taiko Team. All we ask for is to reconsider your decision and hire one or two Taiko BATs who are to 100% experienced in this game modus. Nothing more. It would help and mean really much for all of us sice this is a basic element for the foundation.
I'm also begging you in my name to reconsider it at least one more time and think about what I said...

Sincerely,
OnosakiHito in name of the Taiko Community

Pretty dramatically, huh? We lived in hard times back then. Haha
Anyway... after this case with the PM as output, there was a reconsideration of a possible Taiko Team(thanks really much to Ephemeral and the BATmanagers in that time), which at the end has lead to nowadays Taiko BATs:

1. 02.08.2013 - OnosakiHito, Tasha
  2. 17.08.2013 - aabc271, KanaRin
  3. 14.01.2014 - TKS
  4. 21.04.2014 - Love
In this 1 Year, an amount of 214 Taiko Maps and Sets has been ranked, which goes far above this called number, considering the amount of specific difficulties(Kantan, Futsuu, Muzukashii, Oni, Ura, Inner). Right now, we have 3~4 bubbled Taiko sets which are heading to the ranked status!

At this point I want to thank everyone who was involved and concerned all the last years and who has put a lot of effort to bring Taiko where it is now.
In the past(5~6 years ago) it was just an extra mod(just as Hidden or Hardrock) to push people's osu-scores a bit. Nowadays it is an well established game mode with a big community(which might be sometimes sleepy haha) and a so far well working system. Beside certain modding issues(since we are sleepy, aaaaaah), we have no real problems at all. People behave in a really nice manner and help each other when time really calls for it. Disucssions are staying reasonable and everyone states their opinion in certain topics in a really nice way. This was noticeable in the previous TWCs as well. So a really big thanks to the community at this point.

Also, a special thanks to people like aquabluu(+some older guys from here) and lepidopodus(+wmfchris) who managed back in their times the old Taiko Community. Their significant contribution in the past had a big impact on nowadays Taikos.

And last but not least the other Taiko BATs, who did also their part in this community! Ranking 214 difficulties without making a mistake isn't that easy either.
So far we had only one unranked Taiko-Set, which in my opinion really is something special.

I will stick this thread for some time and unstick it later again. I think there is something else in planing when considering this. ;p
My, my. Now I told you some history, huh?
Krisom
Congratulations! (inb4greatgorankmymap :U)

I remember when the Taiko community were always bugging the moderation team for a Taiko BAT team, since at that time there were no real rules of taiko mapping (well, there were some rules....) and the quality was very questionable. Me along some other BATs at the time used to ask the mapper to get taiko mods for their diffs from recognized taiko mappers to make sure the quality was at least passable, but that was as far as we could go (and not all BATs used to do that...).

To think that now ful taiko spreads can be ranked. You should always take a look back as a comunity and look at what you've accomplished. Good job!
deadbeat
OnosakiHistory \:D/
it's always nice to celebrate awesome stuff like this.
Akiyama Mizuki
Congratulations! I hope that I can be TBAT someday :o
sheela
Woah~~ That's so cool! And congratulations~
Amianki
Congrats.

I don't personally like this mode in any way, but I can't complain about the less prominent parts of the game progressing to something bigger.
Lally
Waaah really nice gratz \o3o/
wendao
oh wow, I hope there's new Taiko BAT \:D/ to check my maps, lol
Nwolf
wooo ~O~
wasonz

wendao wrote:

oh wow, I hope there's new Taiko BAT \:D/ to check my maps, lol
I agree Congratulation ~ :D
Stefan
drum drum

Taiko BAT anniversary
+ 1000 warm fuzzies

It really inspires me to see the efforts one makes to achieve their goals. Congrats Ono, and everyone who helped make this possible
Mythiax
Congratulations! Glad that my map helped here lol
Loctav
why am I never mentioned anywhere in these Taiko retribution threads? :C
Dolphin

Loctav wrote:

why am I never mentioned anywhere in these Taiko retribution threads? :C
:(
Dainesl
And yet the Taiko mode has lasted much longer than the Taiko BATs have...welp that just shows reluctance to new things imo (people dislike change)
Dolphin

yes hello i have been sent by the gods to ruin the mood of this thread hope you enjoy!! kthx
Coro
Yay~ Anniversary~

To a new year and a stronger community in the future~
Nwolf

OnosakiHito wrote:

I think there is something else in planing when considering this. ;p
... : (
ikin5050
taiko is so great thanks to all these people like the TBAT, keep up the good work :)