forum

What DPI should I use?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
shuai8297
Obviously it's a very subjective question but I'd like to know your opinions anyways.
I've decided on one of these three:
2400 (requires 3x scaling)
The problem I had with the lower two was that my arm was required to move the mouse. However, due to the texture of my table my arm usually gets stuck and restricts movement.

Greatful for any reply!
Vuelo Eluko
i dont know that 3x scaling means but it doesnt sound good

either 1600 or 800, both are quite good. I think Kaeru uses high dpi and hes some ridiculously high cookiezi-like rank and has like 5k playcount. So.
Granger
Which DPI was your old mouse? You likely want to stay with that DPI.
Topic Starter
shuai8297
I haven't changed my mouse at all. Just thought I'd settle on one DPI since changing it back and forth really confuses me. When I wrote 3x scaling I was refering to digital amplification (i.e. 3x in the osu settings). I know the concensus is that a low dpi is better but since I'm having these issues I'm wondering if the aforementioned is still the case.
El Koko
Consider the area available for your mouse movements and use as low DPI as you can without getting to extremes - I still find 400dpi to be too extreme-. Something around 800 should be fine.
GoldenWolf
Use the lowest DPI that let you reach all the corners comfortably.
Mookae
For a few months, I played Osu at 200 dpi. I'm sure a lot of people here will call me crazy for trying it, but it turned out to be really enjoyable if your arm had the endurance for it. It was fun to be able to make those large sweeping motions across my table when I played, but this became impractical due to the large table and mousepad that I needed for it, and the speed I would need to keep up with faster songs (still just clearing 4 - 5 star maps after going back to 400 dpi).

So personally I would recommend to play at 400 (by using 800 dpi and .5x mouse sensitivity in-game), and to pick up a reasonably large mousepad that your arm can rest on as well, to solve the problem with your table's texture. Just remember that sensitivity is mostly a matter of preference, and that it's more important to pick one and stick with it, in order to develop muscle memory.

By the way, what resolution are you playing at? This also has a major effect on your sensitivity, and it might be easier to change resolution than dpi.
E a g l e
Play with whatever you feel comfortable with, turn raw-input on and try to stay within 400-3600dpi range, even tough you might be comfortable with higher dpi than that your accuracy will suffer for it.

Source: I played way too much FPS games.
AmaiHachimitsu
You should use the lowest possible DPI which allows you to reach both horizontal sides comfortably