forum

That little pen and pad thing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sashathorne
You guys know that thing? It seems easier when you play with that, and if you don't know what I am talking about, the person playing osu in this video is using it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9_bXZEWV4
Where do you get those? :?
This might be a stupid question, but I don't know much about osu at the moment :(
uzzi
They're called pen tablets. You can get them at most electronic stores, amazon, ebay, even here in the osu!store.
Vuelo Eluko
good for streaming 420 bpm
nrl
You can get the Huion 420 for $25 on amazon. It's marketed as a signature pad, but it works great for osu!.
Topic Starter
Sashathorne
thank you guys for telling me, i put the huion one on my wish list on amazon :)
Madokami
If you can afford it go for a Wacom intuos pen instead. It's higher quality and what most pros use.
Maxis

davstr wrote:

what most pros use.
but that barely matters
nrl

davstr wrote:

If you can afford it go for a Wacom intuos pen instead. It's higher quality and what most pros use.
Huion tablets have higher specs and support raw input. Wacoms are just used for the brand name.
Bauxe

davstr wrote:

You are an idiot.
Madokami

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

davstr wrote:

Huion tablets have higher specs and support raw input. Wacoms are just used for the brand name.
Not saying the Huions are bad, especially not the more expensive models. Personally I wouldn't get the H420 though as I find the active area too small and the pen "clumsier" than the Intuos pen.
nrl
Then get the 540 for $35. Same size as the entry level wacom tablet but with higher specs and raw input.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Then get the 540 for $35. Same size as the entry level wacom tablet but with higher specs and raw input.
intuos tend to have higher specs especially in terms of Lines Per Inch, 4000 on huion as opposed to intuos' 5000 [fact], and they have a better pen [opinion, but one most would agree with].

you still get what you pay for. not that it really matters since both are useful but to call one better based on falsehoods is rather silly.

im unsure what advantage raw input affords a tablet user so if its some huge advantage in movement i guess huion is better.
nrl
Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. The Huion 540 is the equivalent to the CTH480, both having a very similar active area and similar features. The Huion is $35, the Wacom $75. The Huion has a report rate of 200 rps and a resolution of 4000 lpi, the wacom has a report rate of 133 rps and a resolution of 2540 lpi. All other stats are either identical or irrelevant to osu!. So I dunno, seems like the Huion has both higher specs and a better price.

Unless you were referring to the higher end Intuos line, in which case no shit they have higher specs.

Riince wrote:

im unsure what advantage raw input affords a tablet user so if its some huge advantage in movement i guess huion is better.
Same as raw input on a mouse, it shaves a few milliseconds.
Vuelo Eluko
my bad, i just remembered all the time not having a unnecessarily high LPI's and RPS cost me a good play, and how much better i'd be doing with that clunky ass pen.

thank you
ninjastarr
fun fact: you can find success on osu to some extent with any strange contraption you decide to use with it
nrl

Riince wrote:

my bad, i just remembered all the time not having a unnecessarily high LPI's and RPS cost me a good play, and how much better i'd be doing with that clunky ass pen.

thank you
Are you seriously trying to write off an obviously better and cheaper product with "i dont like the pen and it basicaly doesnt matter anyway"?
Vuelo Eluko
comfort is the only important difference between the two other than price so yes. would you tell someone to buy a Chevrolet Impala over a Cadillac Escalade just because hur dur it can speed up faster and its cheaper. what you're using it for matters.
nrl
When you consider that comfort is both subjective and learned, it becomes something of a non sequitur in this context. Report rate and raw input capability, however, have a direct effect on input lag, which is very, very relevant to osu! performance.

And since the natural counter argument is that cookiezi used a bamboo so it couldn't be that significant, he also played with Aero for a long time. You gonna start saying Aero lag doesn't matter too?
B1rd

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

And since the natural counter argument is that cookiezi used a bamboo so it couldn't be that significant, he also played with Aero for a long time. You gonna start saying Aero lag doesn't matter too?
It highlights the fact that small amount of lag doesn't have much of an effect on gameplay. So compared with aero, whatever tiny negligible 0.2ms less lag of the Huion isn't going to make any difference, and is entirely negligible compared to such factors as a more comfortable and lighter pen, and even better aesthetics.

But besides, I think Intuos are the norm now, normal priced. Bamboo is old now, I think.
nrl
But comfort is entirely subjective, as is pen weight preference. The only concrete differences are the price and the specs, both of which lean in Huion's favor.

And yes, the intuos is the current model whose specs I referenced.
show more