forum

Your style of playing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
Hello community,

I have some questions to ask all of you...

Do you, just like I do, quit a song if youfail do it like FC or SS, and try again, or you simply finish it even if you miss, and then try to break your last score? I feel slightly dishonest for quitting a song once i see i can't really complete it in order to avoid deterioration in my hit accuracy and rank...

Also i have this problem when my hand LITERALLY freezes when I am just about to SS a song especially when I'm about to do it with increased difficulties. I can barely move my hand and most of the times i just fail at the very end.
How do i prevent this? To be honest, one of the main reasons i play this is to impress others, and I also play to improve. Rarely the reason i play is fun (which should be the main reason to play this and any other game) but if I don't compete, i don't even feel like playing it...

Thanks folks c:
Vuelo Eluko

a few of many
the goal is to get all of these looking like the one on the top right.
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
I'm not sure i understood you... :c
Rewben2
I'm either playing for scores or I'm playing stuff for fun which is challenging to me, usually out of range of being fcable. If I'm playing for scores I only really care about how much pp it will give because I'm not getting top-50 so there's not much else to try and set a score for. If this is the case I usually have a goal set for the score in mind (I need X accuracy for example) so if I'm doing poorly and getting a bunch of 100's I'll retry. Missing is an obvious retry unless it's near the end or I want to practice the map. I will not submit a score if I know it will "ruin" an older score from a pp perspective because there's really no reason to submit it.

If I'm playing for fun then I just play through the maps because I'm not going to be fcing anyways.
Martell_old_1
Playing hard stuff that i can barely pass for the most of time.
Sometimes going to get some peppys and fc some stuff tho
Kyno
Normally i just play a map then get atleast 90% or higher with no mods. Then just... i dont know i just improve it to an S or SS.
> On the hand freezing thing.... maybe its just that you get really really nervous and that grade and percent on the top right.... its intimidating you
or maybe the way you hold it.... like you're choking it to death?

Maybe when you play maps, try to keep focus and don't let yourself get so nervous :D .... like, don't think about it so much about "OMG OMG OMG BOUT TO SS!!" just stay
calm and just think... "Okay. just keep playing and you will SS this map."
Yakuyan
I usually stop playing a song after I miss like one or two on a difficulty, but sometimes I get obsessed with trying to S a song. For me, it depends on whether I feel OCD today or not :D

About the hand freezing up.....its because of nerves. Most people have it so it isn't some crazy thing going on lol. You have to learn to relax as much as possible. When you get nervous, naturally your muscles will tense up, which causes your fingers to stop moving or tapping. It is probably the most annoying thing that people go through but it's all of a matter of learning to relax. ;)
nrl
I don't usually play a map more than two or three times in a row; I start psyching myself out and making silly mistakes.
DocDrazen
I go through and just play songs and beat them. Playing harder songs as I go along, after a while, I go back to the songs I used to just barely manage to beat and do a lot better on them. I also play touchscreen as well, I have a Wacom tablet but I found that I'm pretty much miserable with it. I can't even beat a lot of Hard songs on it. Thus I decided to stick with touch. I'm still not at a very good rank but I'm improving, and my accuracy has gone from 88% to almost 92%, so that's good. At the end of the day, I just have fun with it, playing songs I like, but I also love to increase my rank. That's my biggest motivation to keep playing sometimes.
Ichi
I´ve been through many stages, first i just random played, then i tryharded to FC maps and get pp, now i sort of mix up the two whenever i feel like it. I don´t think that is a playstile tho, it´s more like your approach towards the game and if you want to get ranks only or truly improve every aspect of the game.
Zalaria
I tend to play a map until I can fc it, but I have the worst tendency to make stupid mistakes and sliderbreak or miss a note >.< I honestly cant stand retrying a map over and over unless I'm really desperate to fc it lol, after a few tries and I end up missing a note, chances are I move on to another map, and the cycle repeats itself .-. I'm just bad at fcing maps in general.
Holorin

Zalaria wrote:

I tend to play a map until I can fc it, but I have the worst tendency to make stupid mistakes and sliderbreak or miss a note >.< I honestly cant stand retrying a map over and over unless I'm really desperate to fc it lol, after a few tries and I end up missing a note, chances are I move on to another map, and the cycle repeats itself .-. I'm just bad at fcing maps in general.
I know your feelings dude :( I retries 203 times on https://osu.ppy.sh/s/71345 and the 204th time I FCed it. The first 150 tries were silly mistakes, from singletapping miss to confusion of the penta-note in the chorus.
But I tend to finish what I want so even if it takes 1000 tries, FC is always what I aim ;)
timemon
1.Stalk people's profile
2.look at their top plays
3.holy shit so much pp
4.proceed to fail horribly
Zalaria

timemon wrote:

1.Stalk people's profile
3.holy shit so much pp
I lol'd so hard xD
HazeL
Cold shoulder <mania>

Left hand = JK <default>
Right hand = DF <default>

//dont look @ the accuracy all the time
//dont look at the top 50 or close it like i do<the left side>
//stay calm xD
//i just repeat the beatmap if i know that i can do it again <better>
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
All right that's one big load of responses.

About my hand. Yes i think that is because i get very very nervous, today i was just about to earn 1000 combo achievement and i failed at 959 but i feel like rapidly improving and the more i play, the less i get excited about completing songs because i just know i can do them anytime.

Today i raised my PP and my rank, a lot. Played some songs i used to play when i started osu! year ago, they we're like 85-90%, but now are 100% and my PP just got up. I am finding myself able to do 100% on some songs i couldn't even complete at all couple of months ago.

Looks like taking a 2 month break really, really in a strange way improved my accuracy and reflexes :D

Thanks again for all responses, it really means a lot.
Good luck, and have fun farming PP lol xD :3
Vuelo Eluko
breaks are OP. 2 months is a bit much though.
but most people who play a lot then take a break come back a lot better
thats how cookiezi 1x100 freedom divee. he stopped for a bit, then he logged on one day and did it
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
Yep, after about 10 retries i managed to get 1009 (fc) on Chasers - Lost (Hard)
My rank jumped for 3000 and my PP is almost 900 (was 800 yesterday)
The first time i reached like 960 got so excited and missed. The next time i was less excited, and when I did my hand wasn't frozen at all. I just told myself that I can do it any time, I am good at this, and *BAM* i made it!
Gosh i am so happy ! :)
Moeri_old_1
I go for SS and master them and go for a bit harder and harder every time. After no mod SS = HR SS.
If not SS or 1x100 I usually restart or quit :3
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
I am sorry but everyone keeps mentioning the 1x100 thing and i have no idea what it means. Can anyone explain? Thanks
Rewben2

MiloSx7 wrote:

I am sorry but everyone keeps mentioning the 1x100 thing and i have no idea what it means. Can anyone explain? Thanks
Getting one 100 on a map. 5x100 would be five 100's, 5x50 would be five 50's, etc.
sayonara_sekai
I dont think I've FCd anything so far with the intention of going for FC. It just happens. (rarely for me)

Apparently random spaced singles in 3.5 star maps are harder than AR9 jumps for me. :?
Zalaria

A i k a wrote:

I go for SS and master them and go for a bit harder and harder every time. After no mod SS = HR SS.
If not SS or 1x100 I usually restart or quit :3
Teach me how to SS ;~;
naliem

timemon wrote:

1.Stalk people's profile
3.holy shit so much pp
Ohhhh, I'd thought I was the one playing like this :D
Topic Starter
MiloSx7

phonics wrote:

I dont think I've FCd anything so far with the intention of going for FC. It just happens. (rarely for me)

Apparently random spaced singles in 3.5 star maps are harder than AR9 jumps for me. :?
You are soooo very right. Today i was like "let me play some osu!" i had no intention on FC-ing any hard song or whatever, i ended up FC-ing (1, or 2x100) 2 hard songs, the best part, my hand didn't freeze at all. I wasn't even aware that the song is soon to end, wasn't even aware of my combo nor my points, i was just deeply focused on the song, or my mind simply realizes that i can do those any time so I don't even get excited anymore

Guess I'm getting better and better each and every day :)
ArrowOfWInD
dc + tablet cth480
always alternate
Mythras
Usually play my list of songs 1-5x each to see where i'm at and kinda warm-up (these are maps i haven't S/SS'd yet or have below 98.5% on). Then decide what to try to FC/improve on. Try to condense playing time a bit.

... Usually the motivation to play at all lasts about a month then I can't even open osu! lol. I do love it though.
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
I have finally FC'd Snake Eyes on Extreme (4 stars) https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130223

I played it over and over and now i am confused. Is my muscle memory simply memorizing the moves i should make because i've replayed it a lot of times (in a period of one week) or i am simply getting better

By the way, now i am #34000, i was #65000 when i posted this thread. Never been happier and more excited in my life, i can't stop playing this game
Vuelo Eluko

MiloSx7 wrote:

I have finally FC'd Snake Eyes on Extreme (4 stars) https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130223

I played it over and over and now i am confused. Is my muscle memory simply memorizing the moves i should make because i've replayed it a lot of times (in a period of one week) or i am simply getting better

By the way, now i am #34000, i was #65000 when i posted this thread. Never been happier and more excited in my life, i can't stop playing this game
i smell a woobowiz 3rd edition thread coming on
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
Eh.. Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean? ._.
show more