forum

Spinner help?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yami -chan
Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new player (joined a few weeks ago) and im finding that my spinner results are pretty inconsistent. I normally spin around the centre and get around 250-300 when on target and 70-150 the rest of the time :( Could someone give me some tips on how to spin and hand positioning?(spin with wrist or arm, hand on table or in air, etc...)
Randomly spinning my mouse around on 800x600 resolution manages to get me the most spins(around 350) o.o
Thanks!
Vuelo Eluko
Spinning close to the center is ideal, because it gives you a smaller 'area' your cursor could possibly be in at the end of a spinner so you can recover and go to notes quicker. This is much more prevalent for mouse playing than tablet play.

Try to remember that spinning is more about technique than practice, unless you're going for those 0-470+ in 1/4 a second competitive spins which there's no point to. That requires great technique AND a lot of practice. typical player spins, not really. I can't really help you spin like that.

try spinning the other way you might be surprised that it lets you go faster.
make sure you're getting your arm involved not just your fingers.

Ideally you'll want to be able to spin around 325-400 consistently, which is enough if you arent going for 1st places on easy/normals with 4mods [why would you do that?!].

this is a paint simulation of where i spin because why not

Most importantly, play more. 500 playcount is abysmal. your spins are so awfully inconsistent most likely because of your inexperience rather than technique. hand position isnt too important as long as you can keep your spin in the center and you arent restricting your arm.
GoldenWolf

Riince wrote:

Most importantly, play more. 500 playcount is abysmal. your spins are so awfully inconsistent most likely because of your inexperience rather than technique.
You don't even have to play the game to know how to spin, some people start off really slow while other can go 450 from day 1
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

Riince wrote:

Most importantly, play more. 500 playcount is abysmal. your spins are so awfully inconsistent most likely because of your inexperience rather than technique.
You don't even have to play the game to know how to spin, some people start off really slow while other can go 450 from day 1
well yes but you'd expect a new player trying to keep to the middle of the spinner to be very inconsistent at spinning. 450 from day 1 is basically by spinning lncognito style around the whole screen. Not really optimal. [Unless your playstyle involves playing the kind of maps lncognito plays]

I'd shit my pants if I saw a new player sustaining 450 in the middle of the spinner, consistently, no passing over the middle of going under 400, because damn.

Maybe it happens but if it does i dont think OP is one of these godspinners
GoldenWolf
Nah, it's about how fast you can vibrate your arm if you do small circles, or using a really high DPI so you go fullscreen circles

but really spins are a matter of technique, but a lack of technique is also a lack of experience so yea, in the end it's again about playing more to get better :p
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

Riince wrote:

Yeah I know right, other games also have click and hold whilst maintaining circling motion with mouse at rapid speeds.
Moeri_old_1
You have to prepare for looking wierd when spinning fast, and it's best to spin close to middle, but still not too close because your cursor could get on the wrong side and your RPM decreases for a moment.
sayonara_sekai
spinners are in the game specifically to fuck up mouse players. They also have nothing to do with rhythm which make them even more frustrating especially when they appear in the middle of fast paced songs or are followed by jumps.
Vuelo Eluko

phonics wrote:

spinners are in the game specifically to fuck up mouse players. They also have nothing to do with rhythm which make them even more frustrating especially when they appear in the middle of fast paced songs or are followed by jumps.
They more or less act as breaks for your tapping stamina to replenish a bit. especially on fast, streamy maps.
Rewben2

phonics wrote:

spinners are in the game specifically to fuck up mouse players.
if you're fucking up on spinners you're doing something wrong
gamestonk
I remember watching an old video to help new osu players, and something the guy said was to push your mouse forward while spinning because due to having wide screen monitors, people tend to make more of an oval when trying to make a circle with their mouse. I spin 290~ consistently now (not that that's good, but hey).
sayonara_sekai

Rewben2 wrote:

phonics wrote:

spinners are in the game specifically to fuck up mouse players.
well I've been gaming with a mouse for 15+ years and i've never had to make multiple fast circular motions. I spend 15+ mins a day practicing spinners and still cant even get 200rpm consistent and usually cant complete spinners unless I know they are coming. the movement is so foreign that I doubt itll ever start feeling natural no matter how much I practice.
GoldenWolf

phonics wrote:

well I've been gaming with a mouse for 15+ years and i've never had to make multiple fast circular motions. I spend 15+ mins a day practicing spinners and still cant even get 200rpm consistent and usually cant complete spinners unless I know they are coming. the movement is so foreign that I doubt itll ever start feeling natural no matter how much I practice.
huh

you're doing something veeeeery wrong
sayonara_sekai

GoldenWolf wrote:

phonics wrote:

huh

you're doing something veeeeery wrong
I'm well aware but I cant really fix it since my brain just won accept spinners for some reason. No matter how slow I try to go or how much I practice I still cannot get any kind of consistent RPM, its really demoralizing to get 50s and 100s from every spinner even in 3.5 star maps, pretty much all of my ragequits are because of spinners.
KagamiHRS

phonics wrote:

Have you tried spinning the other way around? Also, let's trace your issue. Try making quick a circular motion with your finger, dragging with the table. Is it difficult still and how fast is it? Now, try again but with your whole hand without the mouse. Is it good?
sayonara_sekai

KagamiHRS wrote:

phonics wrote:

Have you tried spinning the other way around? Also, let's trace your issue. Try making quick a circular motion with your finger, dragging with the table. Is it difficult still and how fast is it? Now, try again but with your whole hand without the mouse. Is it good?
I've tried spinning both ways. My spins are more circular if I spin clockwise but much much slower so I spin CCW. I can do circles fine with my finger / without mouse in hand but the moment I encounter spinners in game I seize up. The biggest problem from watching my replays is that when I spin I tend to cross over to the other side without making the full circle. Say my cursor is at the top I sometime accidentally move it through the center of the spinners to the bottom instantly killing any RPM I might have. I can complete the 20s Ievan polka maybe 1 out of 20 times I try.
Rewben2

phonics wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

Oh my. I've been able to 250+rpm since I started playing and that's really nothing good. If you're getting <200 with practice then you should try completely redefining your technique because something is wrong.
B1rd
I could spin over 300rpm as soon as I got a tablet. With a mouse it was closer to 200.
Topic Starter
Yami -chan
Sounds like mouse is pretty bad for osu...My mouse is probably too fat
Woobowiz
Play Ievan Polka, you'll get some good exercise down ;^)
show more