forum

Is this game mostly peripheral vision after a while?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Keeby
Since I've obtained a new laptop, I'm able to maintain video playing while playing an actual beatmap. The videos used to make me lag, but I also thought it was very distracting. After turning them back on (years later), I find that it really doesn't affect my performance at all. Most of the time I find myself just watching the video, too. I've been able to FC some songs around my level, too. This used to be impossible for me.

Is there just some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy in terms of 'distraction'? I find that focusing really hard on the actual circles don't really improve my performance; rather, it just frustrates me if I mess up. I can just look at random stuff like the circle trails and do fine, too. Is it normal to be this reliant on peripheral vision?
Vuelo Eluko
nope your reading will just get lazy and you'll get more random misses it's always worth following along with each circle. even if you aren't eye-snapping to each note, which is the most effective and yet most effort-intensive method, at least have your field of focus scanning around the play field around where the notes are appearing... although if you learn to focus on reading each circle individually it will come naturally, it becomes a fortunate trait of our eye muscles being 100x stronger than they have to be for their job.

the only exceptions to this come on maps you've already played, but even on those you open up a chance for random misses by relying solely on peripheral and muscle memory to carry you through the patterns rather than proper reading.

im speaking mostly on what top players have told me personally and not just on the fact that I play with one eye so I don't have much of any peripheral, which if I was just basing it off myself, would be pure hyperbole for those with fully functioning eyesight.
Topic Starter
Keeby
I see. I don't think I am not relying solely on peripheral vision; however, there is a great deal of it being used. Sorry, I wasn't clear. In terms of the actual circles, I look in the general direction of where there are. However, it should be noted that I am not really paying attention to them; rather, I am looking at the video.

Maybe the fact that I cannot reach a high % on songs is because of this? I've always noted myself as an outlier since most people's top ranks are full of S ranks, and mine are full of As, Bs, and Cs. xD
Vuelo Eluko

Keeby wrote:

Maybe the fact that I cannot reach a high % on songs is because of this? I've always noted myself as an outlier since most people's top ranks are full of S ranks, and mine are full of As, Bs, and Cs. xD
Probably.
sangu

Keeby wrote:

No, it is not necessary to look at every circle individually, some players play better that way some don't. I personally do not look at the individual notes. And not "eye snapping" (I guess thats what Riince wants to call it?) will not cause an increase in random misses. You will have random misses no matter what, and doing things which you are unfamiliar will cause more of it. The reason you have A, B, and C top ranks is because you don't have high PP giving S ranks.
*Edited to fix quote box
**edited again to add edit notice
Vuelo Eluko

sanguisinvia wrote:

Keeby wrote:

No, it is not necessary to look at every circle individually, some players play better that way some don't. I personally do not look at the individual notes. And not "eye snapping" (I guess thats what Riince wants to call it?) will not cause an increase in random misses. You will have random misses no matter what, and doing things which you are unfamiliar will cause more of it. The reason you have A, B, and C top ranks is because you don't have high PP giving S ranks.
*Edited to fix quote box
**edited again to add edit notice
Please. If he isn''t paying attention to the notes, like he said, I'll be damned if that isn't negatively impacting his performance.
buny
As someone who used to grind dt on the daily, no.
Purple
I started focusing more on individual circles after I got my tablet, one or two weeks into it. I think it had something to do with mouse movement being more prone to errors (mouse drift) and having to keep track of the cursor.

Both thelewa and rrtyui look at patterns, playfield, cursor and followpoints when they play, so they don't focus exclusively on hitcircles. Niko did, though, he tunneled circles, if I'm not mistaken.
tfg50
I think it's 50/50. I focus on a certain area for some patterns but I mostly follow the circules individualy (maybe it's just because my osu! area is HUGE because I play on fullscreen and my monitor is fairly wide)
Kouya-
At first when I started playing, I was so focused one hit circle at a time .

Now, I just do quick glances during jumps and maps that have fast AR like 9 & 10 .

So, I'd say half and half ~
RaneFire
You can focus on every object or every 2nd object. It's just a good idea to do this because we can't accurately gauge distance between two points if we are not focusing on at least one of them. To try do that where both of the 2 points are only in our peripheral field of vision, but neither one is in focus, is extremely inaccurate.

So yeah, half and half, depending on distances between notes and their speed/density. Very close groups of notes (almost touching) are basically within your focus so you don't really have to try adjust focus so acutely. Peripheral vision will do for those.

Anyway this is very difficult to control, since reading is an active process.
Rewben2
Sometimes I don't look directly at the notes and rely on peripheral vision, often during jumps. Works for me. thelewa says he does this too so yeah, it's definitely a thing that people do.
Maxis
While I watch complete patterns if they're too fast for me to process one at a time (usually when playing with DT), most of the time I'm actually focusing on the very last object or second-to-last that appeared. I focus on it, its approach circle, memorize its location, then move on when a new object appears. Meanwhile, my cursor lags behind in my peripheral and I hit all the objects I just saw in order to the beat. If suddenly no more objects are appearing I'll start spinning at the end of the combo, which often just results in amusing random spins at the beginning of breaks.

It's a lot similar to playing with hidden, to be honest.

I'll also occasionally glance a bit unfocused at my combo as I use it as an indicator of where I am in the song, watch follow lines peripherally (focusing more on them than on the cursor, but less than on hitcircles/sliders) in order to double-check reading, and will also temporarily switch to just generally focusing on the center of the screen and using my peripheral vision if there's fullscreen jumps like the ones in Remote Control (or again, on fast patterns). This kind of happens randomly or based off of whatever feels naturally to me at the time, sometimes I'm not lazy and end up following those big of jumps with my eyes anyway. Doesn't really make a noticable difference in my performance.

Not really sure why I do this. This is just what I ended up doing naturally overtime while playing, and it hasn't wronged me yet.
ETHICALMOUSEUSE
I'll have a quick glance at generally where each note lands, and just move my hand accordingly and pray to the muscle memory gods, if that ain't working, then I keep practicing until I have perfect precision so I'm not missing notes by a tiny margin.

I sometimes think that actually paying attention to the notes more would prove as a good idea, although it's never how I've played
nrl
There was a period of about a month or so where I would make it a point to stare down every circle I was trying to hit, and initially it helped a lot with jumps, but over time I stopped being so conscious about it (presumably because it became a habit). Now I only really think about it on huge jumps.
B1rd
look at every note for better consistency. play at 60x40 resoulution to increase eye stamina.