1

posted
Total Posts
79
show more
Vuelo Eluko

buny wrote:

B1rd wrote:

so instead of trying to hit to the beat of the song you should try and change the offset to compensate for you own sense of rhythm?
How does changing the offset "compensate for ones sense of rhythm"?
It doesn't change how the map plays to the beat, it simply shifts the timeline.

Also, pretty much only old maps are going to have the wrong offset and this is a pretty bad way on determining offset because it only gives you a general idea of if you're too early or too late - in your screenshot we can see that you hit notes too late too, and a lot can factor into this such as streams (nobody will ever perfectly maintain a long stream without having to compensate speed).

You should only be changing offset if you know for certain that it's off.
it's rarely or never off enough to cause a noticeable hit error margin that can't be made up by simply playing better. this is just an unnecessary chore.
a waste of time, even.
GoldenWolf

Woobowiz wrote:

I thought it was a ranked prerequisite to have a map timed properly....
It is, but apparently inaccuraries of ~10ms are acceptable.
Lach

GoldenWolf wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

I thought it was a ranked prerequisite to have a map timed properly....
It is, but apparently inaccuraries of ~10ms are acceptable.
More like +/- 5. I've had quite a few maps changed online by 6-7ms in the past.
pooptartsonas
I change my offset fairly often, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it unless you're consistent enough to know for sure that your misplaying is due to the song being mistimed, rather than your own inconsistency. If you're an accuracy player though, on OD10 it really does make quite the difference; I think you guys are underestimating how many maps are out there that are mistimed enough to actually affect play.
Dexus
To get higher accuracy it's better to IGNORE the hit error bar (one less thing to look at/worry about while playing). Instead focus on what the hitsounds relate to in the music and time it in sync with them. Also fixing your UO takes priority over messing with LO. The only time you really need to mess with the LO is when the map is clearly and painfully out of sync; the couple ms inaccuracy are acceptable because windows itself fluctuates plus I don't think anyone can hit a stable -1/+1 every time they play. If you're seeing that on EVERY map you're playing that you hit early or late then it's commonly 2 things: 1) your UNIVERSAL offset is wrong 2) you're not listening to the music.

To fix your universal offset simply go download the offset wizard song by peppy and put these sounds into your skin [ http://puu.sh/9BkRs.zip ] Then go into the options and open up the offset wizard (Have the offset wizard song by peppy playing). Stop the music and raise the offset to +10 or +20 and then start it; every tick try and lower it by 1ms until the sound shifts to a deeper almost muted kind of sound. From there go further about 3ms and you should be fine. If you're uncertain about it you should be able to hit stop and then play, the metronome ticks should sound the same as before you stopped the music. I use -5ms on my laptop, -3ms on my desktop. Commonly I see computers be within this range.
Topic Starter
Moeri
I think some people also did not read everything, because in the beginning I clearly said that it also depends on hardware, some keyboards have delay and some only tiny.

If keyboard is very sensitive, it means even if you click right on the beat, it clicks earlier, like mine. I mostly have to use -10 and -15ms offset.
^Edit: What I mean with if you click right on the beat it clicks earlier is that, it's very common amongst players who has used standard keyboards to click the button almost/all the way down to activate it.
If keyboard is average then you might not have to change offset so much.

And I am NOT forcing you anything, do not blame me for putting up tips. And please think well before you post(like the thing about that it's rather the song that could be timed incorrectly than you click in wrong timing).

Any how, I already listed a few factors that affects your accuracy:
- Keyboard delay
- Song timed incorrectly
- Your skin's hitsound could have delays
- Soundcard issue where it's not made for listening to music and messes up

... or you're just generally bad when it's about clicking to the rhythm. (practice makes perfect!)
Topic Starter
Moeri

Dexus wrote:

To get higher accuracy it's better to IGNORE the hit error bar (one less thing to look at/worry about while playing). Instead focus on what the hitsounds relate to in the music and time it in sync with them. Also fixing your UO takes priority over messing with LO. The only time you really need to mess with the LO is when the map is clearly and painfully out of sync; the couple ms inaccuracy are acceptable because windows itself fluctuates plus I don't think anyone can hit a stable -1/+1 every time they play. If you're seeing that on EVERY map you're playing that you hit early or late then it's commonly 2 things: 1) your UNIVERSAL offset is wrong 2) you're not listening to the music.

To fix your universal offset simply go download the offset wizard song by peppy and put these sounds into your skin [ http://puu.sh/9BkRs.zip ] Then go into the options and open up the offset wizard (Have the offset wizard song by peppy playing). Stop the music and raise the offset to +10 or +20 and then start it; every tick try and lower it by 1ms until the sound shifts to a deeper almost muted kind of sound. From there go further about 3ms and you should be fine. If you're uncertain about it you should be able to hit stop and then play, the metronome ticks should sound the same as before you stopped the music. I use -5ms on my laptop, -3ms on my desktop. Commonly I see computers be within this range.
I don't think ignoring hit error bar is a very good idea because it DOES work as it should and it's for you to diagnose(not sure how to spell) between your click timings and the actual song, rather than the beatmap itself, because it's the beatmap that's mostly not right.

And I'm not sure why but universal offset never really worked for me, I still get same delay even if I put -15ms comparing to put -15ms manually.
nrl

Lach wrote:

More like +/- 5. I've had quite a few maps changed online by 6-7ms in the past.
This work of art has an online offset of 15ms.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Lach wrote:

More like +/- 5. I've had quite a few maps changed online by 6-7ms in the past.
This map has an online offset of 15ms.
I believe "Map" is a rather exaggerated term for this.
nrl
You're right, edited.
Dexus
Its like you read the first sentence and ignored the rest of what I wrote.
lolcubes

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

Any how, I already listed a few factors that affects your accuracy:
- Keyboard delay
- Song timed incorrectly
- Your skin's hitsound could have delays
You're missing the soundcard.
Some soundcards are really terrible for this game, USB soundcards have really weird response and my xonar has a pretty large input lag.
Rockmin

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

Mathsma wrote:

I wouldn't do it because I am lazy and there are simply too many songs to even bother.
Topic Starter
Moeri

Dexus wrote:

Its like you read the first sentence and ignored the rest of what I wrote.
No, I did not ignore the rest of what you wrote.
I just didn't want to comment on it because I didn't want to. Also, it seems that actually you ignored what I wrote. Universal offset does not work for everybody, and I'm one of them. Only way for me is to manually set offset if needed.

Sure, some people might think hit error bar is annoying, but let's be honest, there is even an option to resize it, how hard can it be?


And all the lazy people, you're most likely just trashposting.
Topic Starter
Moeri

pooptartsonas wrote:

I change my offset fairly often, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it unless you're consistent enough to know for sure that your misplaying is due to the song being mistimed, rather than your own inconsistency. If you're an accuracy player though, on OD10 it really does make quite the difference; I think you guys are underestimating how many maps are out there that are mistimed enough to actually affect play.
I know what you mean, if you have stable accuracy but still getting lots of 100s, then it's the offset/timing issue.
buny

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

Dexus wrote:

Its like you read the first sentence and ignored the rest of what I wrote.
No, I did not ignore the rest of what you wrote.
I just didn't want to comment on it because I didn't want to. Also, it seems that actually you ignored what I wrote. Universal offset does not work for everybody, and I'm one of them. Only way for me is to manually set offset if needed.

Sure, some people might think hit error bar is annoying, but let's be honest, there is even an option to resize it, how hard can it be?


And all the lazy people, you're most likely just trashposting.
Honestly, you play low OD maps so even if the beat is off by 10ms, you are still easily in range to get a 300
Topic Starter
Moeri

buny wrote:

Honestly, you play low OD maps so even if the beat is off by 10ms, you are still easily in range to get a 300
Yes, but it does not change the fact that I see the accuracy balance isn't very close to the ideal balance(middle).
Dexus
In my post I show you how to set the offset correctly though.
nooblet

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

buny wrote:

Honestly, you play low OD maps so even if the beat is off by 10ms, you are still easily in range to get a 300
Yes, but it does not change the fact that I see the accuracy balance isn't very close to the ideal balance(middle).
Sorry, but judging from your page you're clearly an SS player but like he said, those are all low OD songs. Have you tried anything OD9, or even 10? A 300 can easily become a 100 or even 50 with high OD, so how do you cope with that? Maybe some will land in the 300 range, but sorry I still kinda doubt you have enough experience with accuracy to write a guide for others. Frankly, it's a bit misleading and only your own method.

No offence, and I may be wrong, but I kinda doubt you can tell the difference between 10ms yet while you're playing (not saying I can, but some of the people who have posted can easily tell 5ms). Actually 10ms shouldn't even make a difference on the maps you're submitting scores on. If you could tell, you wouldn't need to rely on the hit error bar this much; you would be able to hear that you're early or late. The bar is just there for confirmation or checking parts that might be timed wrong or have irregularities.

Try some OD 9+ on maps that are time well, and you'll realize offset won't always save you.
Vuelo Eluko
i can still get an A on an OD9 map with an offset of like +/- 20
it doesnt matter
get better accuracy

you guys are so hung up on offset do you play without hitsounds? turn them on and focus on them like you're supposed to anyway.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply