forum

[New Rule] Preview Point must be snapped

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Preview points are setted in order to literally preview a song.
However even preview points are not snapped properly to the timing, it functions properly.
Still leaving things unsnapped could surely be a problem.

I'd like to discuss if preview points must be snapped properly, and what people think about an 1/4 earlier usage for preview points.

Preview point must be snapped to the music.
Sorarei
Nice idea, support this
Lanturn
I didn't realize this wasn't already a rule.
Regardless, yes. Preview points should be snapped.

1/4 earlier usage is perfectly fine as it makes vocals easier to hear in most points.. or 1/2 in high bpm songs.

PS. Make this pop up in AiMod / AiBat please. Most Preview points become unsnapped when small timing changes are made.. because the last thing anyone thinks about is resnapping their preview point!
Kodora
Preview point should be placed logically - i often see how people blindly place it on the big white line instead of real beginning of chorus/phrase (example - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/224634)

1 ms unsnapped preview point is actually not even noticeable in most of cases... I'd prefer this to be a guideline instead of rule - unranking over 1 ms unsnapped preview point would be pointless as for me.
Nyxa

Kodora wrote:

Preview point should be placed logically - i often see how people blindly place it on the big white line instead of real beginning of chorus/phrase (example - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/224634)

1 ms unsnapped preview point is actually not even noticeable in most of cases... I'd prefer this to be a guideline instead of rule - unranking over 1 ms unsnapped preview point would be pointless as for me.
This, and I don't really see the point altogether.

Sonnyc wrote:

Still leaving things unsnapped could surely be a problem
Why? What would that problem be? I think you should elaborate further on why unsnapped preview points would be a problem, since snapping is mostly important for the beatmap itself. The preview point is for hearing a part of the song before playing the beatmap, so why would snapping it be necessary?
- Marco -
Also there is a fade when changing song, so also think about that when making this rule :D
those
Fade in for song preview is a static amount of ms; it does not scale with bpm. As such, provided that the song is timed correctly, if the preview point is not snapped to the main beat in order to have certain song elements played in the preview, the preview point does not have to be snapped to be placed in the optimal position.

tl;dr no.
Zare
i see absolutely no reason for this
as kodora said, if a map were to be unraked because the preview point is unsnapped by a few ms, that'd be really frustrating and extremely pointless
Stefan

marcostudios wrote:

Also there is a fade when changing song, so also think about that when making this rule :D
Bascially this why I say no.
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Then I guess the conclusion would be there is no point to ask mappers to ask unsnapped preview points, unless it isn't functioning properly?
pw384
bcz of the fade-in, I think placing preview point 1/4 earlier is reasonable and even better than just on the long white ticks.
and bcz of the fade-in, unsnapped preview points wouldn't even be realized by players.

So imo perfectly snapped preview points are not necessary. If the unsnapped preview points function correctly, it should be fine. Mappers don't want to see their maps get unqualified bcz of such pinpoint things when preview functions well.
Ozato Fumika

Zare wrote:

i see absolutely no reason for this
as kodora said, if a map were to be unraked because the preview point is unsnapped by a few ms, that'd be really frustrating and extremely pointless
Agreed
Dark Fang
i think it's unnecessary. sometimes it need to be difference from snapping. yea should fix it
WingSilent
Usually setting it 1 white tick before the big white tick. But it may vary depending the song.. and your choice. ;)
PyaKura
I don't really care having this as a rule and I'm late on the train , but people should really stop making pointless rules. I mean who cares about an unsnapped preview point lol. It just makes things complex for pretty much nothing at all. Making a new rule about the preview point placement musically speaking (before the main chorus etc) sounds like a good idea though. Just my 2 cents.
DakeDekaane
Well, I think this is really not a must, for the reasons people stated above, and if the preview point is placed in a wrong place it can be fixed easily via modding.

Denied.