forum

Science [STD] HD v1.7 Updated (7-20-15)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Gritoit

-Liquid- wrote:

While I love this skin, why not put an arrow for the slider to go back, and no numbers? (could be an alternative pack or something just asking)
Thanks I am glad that you like the skin overall. I am going to be uploading a new version in the next few mins and also a collection of extras which includes a reverse arrow. What do you mean by the no numbers? Currently I have white dots for the numbers unless you mean I should include a set of regular numbers.

Also sorry I am so late in responding I should try and check the forums a bit more frequently.
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Newest update is now available. This update smooths out many visuals and changes a few others completely. In addition I have added the huge extras pack for download. This pack has many alternative versions and old versions of skin elements including over 130 cursors. Moving forward I want to continue improving the base skin while also adding a vast amount more options in extras. If anyone wants to help contribute to the extras I would love to feature other peoples work as alternatives to my own. I will of course credit you and it will help the extras eventually become a wonderful source of skinning elements from which players can create custom skins without the bother of downloading multiple skins or creating their own elements.

Check out the cursors based on marbles bellow

Topic Starter
Gritoit
Version 1.5 is up and includes new selection buttons / mods and a new spinner.

Makes sure to post comments good and bad about the skin. It gets lonely with no one commenting. :(
Xial
Oh there i some good cursor !
Your skin starts to be really good !
Good work !
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Xial wrote:

Oh there i some good cursor !
Your skin starts to be really good !
Good work !
Thanks I am glad to hear you like it. Especially since you are a great skinner yourself! I love your Pure skin and the square one is fun too. If you can think of anything I should work on further let me know.
Xial

Gritoit wrote:

Thanks I am glad to hear you like it. Especially since you are a great skinner yourself! I love your Pure skin and the square one is fun too. If you can think of anything I should work on further let me know.
Oh thats sweet :o Thank's ^-^
Yes i will ^^
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Version 1.6 screenshots and download are now available. Version 1.6 changes the default numbers and adds new ranking letters. Make sure to check everything out in the main post and leave me feedback.
AGRX
I think good idea will be to remake the "Science" banner to make it look more futuristic and less rastafa :D.
It really don't fit the skin visuals and purpose.
And viewers may be discourage to even check how the skin looks like.
Also reduce the wall of the text on the main page. People hate walls of text. You can always put this stuff into spoilerboxes.
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Agrrox wrote:

I think good idea will be to remake the "Science" banner to make it look more futuristic and less rastafa :D.
It really don't fit the skin visuals and purpose.
And viewers may be discourage to even check how the skin looks like.
Also reduce the wall of the text on the main page. People hate walls of text. You can always put this stuff into spoilerboxes.
These are some good points. I will tidy up the text some right now.

The banner is a big turn off in my opinion as well though I am still not sure I love the name science. I wonder if I should stick with it just so as to not confuse people or switch it to something that better represents the skin?

Made a new banner which looks a bit better though I am still not crazy about it.

What do you think of the updates I have done to the skin so far?
AGRX
looks good...

EDIT:
- Ranking Letters should have more serious look.

- Remake followpoints: from shinny dots -> new line style 9-frame followpoints

- Spinner should be more minimalistic: spinner-circle without those blue dots, because you already use dots for hitcircles :).
spinner metre is not important, and can be removed.

- Make input overlay and keys without color fill

- Mode icons should look more unique

- Menu selection buttons should look less monopoly-style :)

- Update skin for latest skin.ini 2.4 version
Topic Starter
Gritoit
I have been away from the forums for a bit. Going to work on my skin some more over this week.

Few questions about your feedback Agrrox:

Ranking letters: I just redid them so I doubt I will get to making them again immediately, however what do you mean by "more serious"? I was thinking perhaps you mean a less stylized font choice? Btw as a side note the current letters were made from scratch and not based on a font.

The follow points: I do have a few 9 frame options in the extras. Do you think I should use one of them or do none of them fit all that well?

The spinner: I have noticed sometimes with notes immediately following having the spinner with blue dots makes it hard to aim. I may try a style with an outer ring and a small center point just to make it easier to read after. Does that sound good?

Input overlay and keys: Do you mean transparent? Obviously if I did do them transparent they would be hard to see on some maps. Maybe you meant the keys should be black?

Mode icons: Currently they are just colored version of the defaults. So you think I should try and make my own version correct?

Menu selection buttons: I am going to be remaking the background on which the icons sit so this should help to make them look nicer.

Skin version: Due to how my "stars" work version 2.2 onward messes up how they are meant to be displayed. I also do not like the preview pictures to me they seem to be extra clutter when most the window is open or highly transparent anyways. I figured no one picks maps based on the backgrounds anyways or maybe they do? In the extras should anyone wish I include elements to update the skin to newer versions if you like the newer skin versions.
Mizuru
SO. MANY. CURSORS.
AGRX
Ranking letters: I just redid them so I doubt I will get to making them again immediately, however what do you mean by "more serious"? I was thinking perhaps you mean a less stylized font choice? Btw as a side note the current letters were made from scratch and not based on a font.
As amateur calligrapher I personally don't like the font but you can give f*ck about my opinion.

The follow points: I do have a few 9 frame options in the extras. Do you think I should use one of them or do none of them fit all that well?
try these: http://puu.sh/g1Hfl.zip

The spinner: I have noticed sometimes with notes immediately following having the spinner with blue dots makes it hard to aim. I may try a style with an outer ring and a small center point just to make it easier to read after. Does that sound good?
Try to simplify the spinner. I dont see point of having spinner with many blue dots.

Input overlay and keys: Do you mean transparent? Obviously if I did do them transparent they would be hard to see on some maps. Maybe you meant the keys should be black?
Dont use the green hue for the keys because you dont want to pay much atention on them. its much better to see keys when they have transparent fill and have stroke.

Mode icons: Currently they are just colored version of the defaults. So you think I should try and make my own version correct?
I liked the technical approach of the old "shapes" mode icons they were hard to see but were interesting. Maybe design them so you can read modes while they are stacked over each other.

Skin version: Due to how my "stars" work version 2.2 onward messes up how they are meant to be displayed. I also do not like the preview pictures to me they seem to be extra clutter when most the window is open or highly transparent anyways. I figured no one picks maps based on the backgrounds anyways or maybe they do? In the extras should anyone wish I include elements to update the skin to newer versions if you like the newer skin versions.
Agree with this. The new versions don't bring anything new.

Also I think nobody will never ever use marble cursors. It doesn't add style to this skin.
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Mizuru wrote:

SO. MANY. CURSORS.
Lol Yeah and I often have to stop myself from making more. I have an unhealthy obsession with cursors.
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Agrrox wrote:

As amateur calligrapher I personally don't like the font but you can give f*ck about my opinion.
I like to have as many opinions as possible to see how other people view my skin since I have an slight though obvious bias. Could you give me an example of a font that looks really nice?

try these: http://puu.sh/g1Hfl.zip
Those are very nice. I am currently using them personally. Do you mind if I include them with the next version of the skin?

Try to simplify the spinner. I dont see point of having spinner with many blue dots.
Got done with a spinner in the new style which is a ring with small circle bumps on it. Seems to work a lot better for me since it takes up a ton less room on the screen.

Dont use the green hue for the keys because you dont want to pay much atention on them. its much better to see keys when they have transparent fill and have stroke.
I went with a off black background and only kept the gold outline on the keys. Blends into the background better and looks pretty slick.

I liked the technical approach of the old "shapes" mode icons they were hard to see but were interesting. Maybe design them so you can read modes while they are stacked over each other.
I am guessing you mean my old mod icons such as double time, half time... ect? If not maybe could you post a picture since I seem to be drawing a blank.

Also I think nobody will never ever use marble cursors. It doesn't add style to this skin.
You are likely right that very few people will use them, but since I made them why not keep them as a choice. I am bad about making things that blend with my current skin.

Thanks so much for all the help. You always have good advice and have helped me a ton in the shaping of my skin.
AGRX
I will find some fonts.
Yes you can use those followpoints.
Interested to see the new spinner. ^^
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Finally back with a new update. Version 1.7 adds a new spinner, default numbers and follow points. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ne8j8 ... e_v1.7.osk

Also since I made a skin for a player privately who no longer plays I will post that here as well. This skin has a ton of anime girls. Please note the skin has some (pg 13) elements. I think last I knew this was allowed if not please remove the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m7qiu ... _v_1.1.osk

Also if you want your own custom skin elements feel free to contact me always fun seeing what I can do with different themes.

Still thinking about changing the ranking letters but every time I try I am unhappy with the results. Please give me feedback on the main skin. The private side skin will not be updated.
AGRX
Wow nice update! good job :)
[LS]SirroNL
Maybe could you change the bracket thing when your playing? Its kinda distracting :)
Topic Starter
Gritoit

HolyHeck wrote:

Maybe could you change the bracket thing when your playing? Its kinda distracting :)
Do you mean the slider ball? I certainly could change it. In fact I think there are a few different ones in the extras. I should post my most recent version since it has been forever since I updated the skin.