When osu! goes mainstream...

posted
Total Posts
show more
Magicphoenix
When that day comes, R.I.P. German osu! community
Cocaine dog

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

At the same time I do would like it to be mainstream and yet, I kind of don't want to .

For one,

MoF10 wrote:

It would be terrible to deal with copyright claims.
And another,

Raniemi wrote:

I don't think there are enough people that are interested into osu for it to go mainstream :(
Also,

kirukashi wrote:

Hopefully the people I know and fucking hate to oblivion at my school don't ever find out about this game... and my profile
And finally,

Trauter wrote:

This

I agree with you, but still I wouldn't mind more people / if some of my closer friends would start aswell, or people nearby.
silmarilen

SupaWolfTiga wrote:

kirukashi wrote:

Hopefully the people I know don't ever find out about this game... and my profile
Granger

kirukashi wrote:

Hopefully the people I know don't ever find out about this game... and my profile
Kyno

kirukashi wrote:

Hopefully the people I know and fucking hate to oblivion at my school don't ever find out about this game... and my profile
B1rd
when that happens all of us will be the oldfag master race.
Kyno

B1rd wrote:

amen

and imagine all the new players.... calling everyone "hackers" and flaming over everything ....
this is what happened to minecraft
Witch Mercy

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

never gonna happen thank god

but if it does a LOT more maps than already have will be taken off the websites because of copyright claims.
This.
ColdTooth

Trauter wrote:

i think i'll quit CoD
Vuelo Eluko
also my rank would plummet
this would suck
Trauter

ColdTooth wrote:

Trauter wrote:

i think i'll quit CoD
Just look at this ;-;
Gumpy
As long as the people are not idiots i'm fine with it, but what am I saying that is never gonna happen.
HDHR Crutch

Gumpyyy wrote:

As long as the people are not idiots i'm fine with it, but what am I saying that is never gonna happen.
This.
BroAidan
If osu became truly mainstream, i think that would be tremendous as it would increase the player base, oh and i would be able to leave my attic XD
Sylveon
I'm fine with it going mainstream BUT... god if we 'inherit' the type of kids that play League or COD, RIP this community being of anything significant. I think I would quit if on the forums I just read random stupid posts just saying 'fag' or 'hahahahaha youurrr nannnss fat' seriously I know we are all socially awkward but it takes a special kind of person to be that kid on COD who (wants to start to chat) but instead of saying 'hello' screams into the mike or makes retarded sounds...because apparently saying hello is to hard *rant over*
kirueggy

Sylveon wrote:

I'm fine with it going mainstream BUT... god if we 'inherit' the type of kids that play League or COD, RIP this community being of anything significant. I think I would quit if on the forums I just read random stupid posts just saying 'fag' or 'hahahahaha youurrr nannnss fat' seriously I know we are all socially awkward but it takes a special kind of person to be that kid on COD who (wants to start to chat) but instead of saying 'hello' screams into the mike or makes retarded sounds...because apparently saying hello is to hard *rant over*
R.I.P. in peace osu! forums if that ever happens.

But don't worry, we have moderators (although they put up with so much each day I)
AutoMedic

kirukashi wrote:

Sylveon wrote:

R.I.P. in peace osu! forums if that ever happens.

But don't worry, we have moderators (although they put up with so much each day I)
Moderation would be much worst. Oldfags wont handle the flood of complains the newfag might say.
B1rd
I have trust in the mods. the current community is quite good, and we still get ruled with an iron fist.
Kyno

B1rd wrote:

I have trust in the mods. the current community is quite good, and we still get ruled with an iron fist.
but then again.... remember how many people would be flooding the forums and then there's chat....

If osu! goes mainstream and 99% of new players are a bunch of whining little kids (a.k.a the stereotypical 12 year old kid on COD)
i pray for you mods
Restless Spirit
Then we'd need a whole bunch of new moderators for the forums and the chat so that all the requests can be covered. Luckily there'd be the oldfags who could do that job. But the community would go down the tubes pretty fuckin' quick, let me tell ya. Like, even now with this relatively small userbase we have our good share of idiots on the forums and the mods are working hard. To imagine what kind of work it would be to manage a community comprised of these people we're talking about here... this would be horrible. I shit you not.

Also there'd be a lot more copyright claims. Luckily for us there's enough free music out there that can be used instead so while we might lose half of our beatmaps to whiny officials who are bitches about a few dollars they apparently don't get into their pocket (as far as I know a lot of the artists don't see a big deal of the money anyways), we can get back up again with free music. There's plenty out there.

The worst part would really be that the osu!community would have nothing to set them apart from other communities anymore. I've met people here on the forums who are just something else than most people on the internet and I like it that way. On this particular platform I can talk to people who are just cool guys and gals.
Oh and the german osu!community would be so screwed. Like, I'm a German myself alright. And I know that approximately 90% of the German online communities are shit because we have quite a lot of whiny 12 year olds who cry and scream about everything. It always surprises me how immature a lot of these people really are. I'm a moderator in a German forum community myself and GOD these people. In my forum, where I moderate, it's not so bad because I'm handling a rather small part of the forums. But the bigger discussion forums... dear lord THE PEOPLE.

Long story short: various bits of the osu! community would plummet into the depths of mainstream hell with a lot of cfybabies, we'd lose at least half of our beatmaps to crybabies in suits and the people here that are setting this community apart from the other communities out there would be leaving a great deal because they wouldn't want to put up with all this shit. In the long run, if osu! gets mainstream, osu! will lose.

Fortunately though, that's not gonna happen. Ever. And I'm thankful for it.
Kritzkingvoid

kynolenkun wrote:

B1rd wrote:

but then again.... remember how many people would be flooding the forums and then there's chat....

If osu! goes mainstream and 99% of new players are a bunch of whining little kids (a.k.a the stereotypical 12 year old kid on COD)
i pray for you mods
I doubt little kids even play other games other than FPS
VoidnOwO
:)
Kyno

Kritzkingvoid wrote:

I doubt little kids even play other games other than FPS
Well, does anyone remember Minecraft before it was a glorified block game? Think about it, after this game started to have merchandise in store and other things like that, popularity rose(?) . More people began to like sandbox games, and then there was some kind of transition from FPS games to sandbox games.

Maybe later on, there might be some kind of new, popular rhythm game (I already know about guitar hero, but they didn't quite make it) That people like and as more people play rhythm games, they would want to find more games that are rhythm based. (phone gamers : who remembers tap tap revenge? anyone?)

Although when you think about it, the.. "stereotypical 12 year old COD player" thinks that 1 map = makes them top 50 rank. 2 maps = cookiezi
just imagine how many people would rage quit... (i would love to see that...)

Then again, rhythm games are easy when you see it, but playing it is hard as heck. One day, osu! mightl become really known, but rarely played by new players because of how hard it is to master < whereas sandblox games are just.. build and FPS games(for the most part) just shoot people. run.

Why can't I write like this on essays. The hell.
Pangus

Corin wrote:

We're already technically mainstream,.
osu! has more users than new zealand has people.....
Granger
Thats total registered, not active. A pointless stat for this thread.
ColdTooth
lets think about it this way

i dont think osu! will go mainstream
[-Tsubomi-]
Prob won't happen but it'd be interesting to see what it would be like
TheGreatEops
Becoming mainstream certainly has its pros and cons . For one , more players = more beatmaps , mods and people to mark as your rivals >:) ( guess sometimes in life you just want the things you don't have T_T ) or firends for that matter . Obviously , beatmaps will get faster ranks and would "maybe" be of a higher quality , since more people would be able to help each other , post tutorials etc. Furthermore , more money will be donated , resulting in a higher budget for good ol' peppy ( more features hurray ! ) . The obvious downside to the entire thing is that the community might suffer , especially if it becomes as toxic as it is MOBA or FPS games . However to add to this , Osu is essentially single player , you don't have a "team" in which people who "mess" up affect you . It's only your skill that get you a better score / rank , thus a lot of the toxicity of previously mentioned genres would be lost .There are dumbasses everywhere who would rather troll than do anything else with their pathetic lives , but if the game were to become mainstream , I do have faith in the ability of the moderators to keep game/forums clean ;) . After all , both League and COD don't give a damn about their communities . The fact that everybody is concerned about it going foul goes to show what kind of people play this game .

However , the biggest problem would be copyright . Big companies want their big stacks of cash ! ~ Look a the the mess Youtube went through a while ago .
Sang
Pls no.
wkLeon
I get this feeling if osu! did go mainstream then the RIAA will have a field day with a number of beatmaps here.
Ven
Well peppy'd get fucked in the bung by lawyers so I don't see that happening
Nameless
If Osu! goes mainstream we may be screwed.
I'm happy with being one of the only osu! players in my area.
Zymaz

B1rd wrote:

too bad you'd be one of the newfags :O xx
MrKenfully

MintLatios wrote:

If Osu! goes mainstream we may be screwed.
I'm happy with being one of the only osu! players in my area.
You never know who's also playing osu!
maybe your neighbor is playing too :^^^)))))))