forum

How much does a skin matter to you?

posted
Total Posts
show more
DarkerStyle
My skin is the most clearest and simple, it helps my gameplay alot! Sooo... ALOT
AstralPhnx
To me the important stuff in a skin is it has to be clean and easy to see while placed on a black background. The hitsounds have to be audable (duh) and follow points have to be easy to see. I also find a smaller simple cursor helps me out a bit as well. Another little preference I have is the combo break sound. I was never a fan of the default combo break sound due to it being quite shocking and sometimes causing me to screw up even more so I use a softer combo break sound that is less shocking.
I also stick with no 300s and I don't use combo bursts.

In general it just comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer simpler and cleaner skins to more graphically impressive ones.

Still if your looking for a skin with a simpler design then check out Black 2014. Its a simple but really nice skin.
Kaeru
It matters a lot. I don't think I could survive without my skin. I would just be a skeleton :(
Bauxe
Skin doesn't have much of an effect for me. Maybe a little bit, since I am used to playing with mine, but whenever I have tried using a different skin, my ability is pretty much the same. Pretty much just use a skin for extra visibility, primarily with hidden.
Yakuyan
I'm the same as you ;) I don't know if it is a psychological thing but I HIGHLY depend on my skin. I can't play good without it hehe. The invisible 300's and cursor trails really do help me and the semi-transparent or somewhat translucent circles help a lot for overlapping patterns. Many people can usually play with the default or other skins and they play the same for any, but for me, I play substantially differently when I switch skins. (I don't know if it counts but the hitsounds in my skin really do help me too :D )
nrl
In absolute terms, the difference between using my skin and using another high-quality skin are pretty small, but when I'm playing near the edge of my abilities it can still be enough to drag me all the way from an FC to a fail.
YamiHikari
Hm. It does, especially when it comes to the huge cursors and stuff, and more importantly THE 300s .
I'd prefer a skin with invisible/no 300s, unlike the default 300 which blocks everything, and... Well, a smaller cursor would be better.
FrzR
Mainly a FPS boost from the default skin stars and shiny stuff 2stronk

And light circle transparency makes me read streams better. Transparent 300 ftw.
Rockmin

CelsiusLK wrote:

The cursor,transparent circle,invisible 300s,normal hitsounds take role here
this!
Sylveon
The only skin I do well with is peachicks skin. My perfect skin would be one similar to peachicks with no combo counter accuracy 100/50s and timer (this just to try to FC maps and not get nervous, obviously if I needed to know accuracy I would simply switch back to peachicks original skin
Valdyr
Just the fact that I suck hard if I don't get used to one, which is why I rarely change skins. Though I prefer transparent skins, don't really mind the hitsounds.
Rokk
Subtle yet clear hitsounds is most important for me. That, and a skin which clearly conveys what kind of object something is.

Basically, I prefer the classic default skin. The difference between 300, 100 and 50 is very clear.
notkris
matters a lot unfortunately. need that background dimmed too.
nrl

Teraku wrote:

Basically, I prefer the classic default skin.
But there are lots of skins that are clearer than the default. Like, you have to go out of your way to find one that's worse.
ETHICALMOUSEUSE
Hitsounds are the most important for me, I'll go through the all of a specific skins hitsounds and replace them with the same sound file so I don't have to hear hitsound effects like drum or clap.
Skin itself, nothing too flashy otherwise I can't see what I'm doing
Rokk

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Teraku wrote:

Basically, I prefer the classic default skin.
But there are lots of skins that are clearer than the default. Like, you have to go out of your way to find one that's worse.
By all means, show me one that's clearer. And I mean the classic default skin, not the new one. The classic one has clear numbers and large colorful hit bursts to notify you of the fact that you got a 100 just now.
xGx

iWhorse
10\10 will not use anything except for my own skin
nrl

Teraku wrote:

By all means, show me one that's clearer. And I mean the classic default skin, not the new one. The classic one has clear numbers and large colorful hit bursts to notify you of the fact that you got a 100 just now.
Uhm... I don't know what you consider clear, but I don't consider large colorful hitbursts a good thing at all. While I don't really like either of them, Black 2014 and Aesthetic are two very popular skins that are head and shoulders above the default.
[ HDthunder ]
no number's blue and white circles small cursor hitsounds that sound like a pimp slap
its a good day today
Makan1
I've used about 50 skins and what I learned is that it needs to be a solid hitcircle, not hollow. I am comfortable with all hit sounds EXCEPT those retarded hitmarker sounds. Like the one used on Nara's skin. It honestly sounds like utter shit. I guess skins matter a fair bit but I wouldn't volunteer to use the default skin at all.... perhaps ever
khan119
As long as the 300's are hidden and it isn't stuffed with half naked 9 year old anime girls crying around when I miss it's fine.

Also transparent hitcircles aren't "necessary" for hidden.
nrl

Sugoi-_-Desu wrote:

They're an immense help if you want to sight-read it.
DansGame
For me skin is extremely important, mostly because i made the skin to suite me.
If you cannot find a skin that is good for you, make your own using particles from the other skins, because apparently there's no copyright when it comes to osu skins, thought most people post stuff that it is but no one will judge you.
Keep clicking & having fun m8!
khan119

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Sugoi-_-Desu wrote:

They're an immense help if you want to sight-read it.

I don't really notice them and it dosn't make a difference (for me) so idk.
LtBeanSniffer
Idk why but I can't play with any skin other than the one I currently use. I think I've just gotten used to it at this point but if I switch skin I can see a very apparent drop in acc. I've tried swapping elements and I always come back to the original skin. I'm just uncomfortable without it. (Maybe I just really hate change like so many others lol)
Violet Link
I mainly look for the design of the skin and the hit sounds.

I do not like really, really weird hit sounds. I like the ones that are calm/osu sounds.

And as for the skin design, I like the ones that don't look too complicated. I don't like the ones that have a lot of design. Simple ones are fine, because they can keep me focused.