forum

Osu! really needs to be ''Natively'' available for Linux

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arcane
I've tried alot of ways to get osu on linux but everytime i triend it with whine i got errors.
Jeroen Mathon
Yeah its time that Linux gets an Osu! Port
peppy
It's time you started using a real OS.
Ryu Sei
peppy
wine is basically native, you know.
Ryu Sei
But not for the osu! installer.
Even I consider it "technically native", but well it's enough run it on Wine.
Crazychrome

peppy wrote:

#Shrekt
Howl
peppy said that osu! will be open source. Once it will be, somebody will for sure make it in Mono so you can have your native version for Linux.

Until then, get Windows.

Or a decent pc that supports osu! on wine.
ErunamoJAZZ

peppy wrote:

Peppy, pls... mac a **** :3

While true that Wine is not an emulator, it is clear that performance is not native like. I am one of those who waits patiently peppy may release the game code. In my PCs I only have winbug installed to edit maps ... it's the only reason.

I hope all the development team can finish reordering the code to release it soon!!
MillhioreF
As peppy stated at Japan Expo 15, osu! is going open source soon (ETA later this year). A native Linux port almost definitely isn't going to come out until that happens and a very skilled developer ports the osu! codebase themselves (peppy sees it as low priority, as you can probably infer.)
Nyquill
Haven't you guys read anything peppy wrote about cross platforming.
xasuma

peppy wrote:

LOL , cracked me up! haha

But he's right. Or a little patience for someone to make it happen after open source.
- Marco -
Use PlayOnLinux :v
Topic Starter
Arcane

peppy wrote:

whew you are mean :\ T-T linux rules everything ;)
Topic Starter
Arcane

Ryu Sei wrote:

At least there's a solution (yet not native); run it via Wine
Doesnt work just errors >.<
IppE

peppy wrote:

You really should get your head out of your ass.
Lolzy

IppE wrote:

peppy wrote:

You really should get your head out of your ass.
Lol'd so hard
Duder963

peppy wrote:

He is. It's called Linux.
iotRL

peppy wrote:

Well, yeah, but I bet a FreeBSD port will take even more time.
Howl
I thought this topic was to discuss for the 41892nd time about a linux port, not to argue about the meaning of "real OS" and about peppy.
Also, as said an infinite numbers of time: Don't request ports. Do them. You aren't a developer? osu!staff can't really help you. You are and you seriously want to help out with osu!? Get in touch, as peppy said thousands of times. There are plenty of projects like Opsu and osu! for mac in this section, you may check them out to try osu! on other OS. If you want to play the game with the full-online integration, amazing community (well except for some people but hey, the ignore list is right there) and you currently are on a shitty PC with linux, osu!staff can't help you running the game, since there is a list of priorities and if from some points it can seem that ports to linux and mac are the priority, they aren't because they are waaaay too resource-expensive. Also, osu! is going to be open source so I think that for sure somebody will port that to Linux, so just wait. Maybe 2-3 years, but osu! it's hopefully going to be natively available on linux. Not right now, tho.
boat
Raymonf
peppy's right. Linux isn't an OS. It's a kernel.
Agka
this whole thread is potato

Howl wrote:

shitty PC with linux
you implying linux can't be used in anything other than shit PCs?
rofl

iceblade112 wrote:

peppy's right. Linux isn't an OS. It's a kernel.
[insert stallman pic]

osu! really needs a native gnu/linux port
CharlisMadCut

Agka wrote:

this whole thread is potato
Agreed.

boat wrote:

potatopeople who can't into computer
That sentence made me Rofl.

Agka wrote:

you implying linux can't be used in anything other than shit PCs?
rofl
Actually, 90% of the PC ('said PC, not server) using linux are shitty because people think their PC will run way faster with a linux distro.

I think linux is great to manage a server, but on PC, I think it's reserved for people who care about security, or just the developers/PeopleWhoKnowHowToUseAComputer. Others people should go on Windows (even if it is a lot criticized due to his Modern Ui, Windows 8 brings a lot of ameliorations in term of performance), or on Mac OS if they like to be restricted.

Like Howl said, there are actually things way more important than a linux port. A linux port takes time, and it concerns only a few users. And it's not like you cannot play osu! on linux, use Wine.

You people have to wait for osu! to be open source, and for someone who will make this port. Or move your ass and do it by yourself ! :P

Howl wrote:

Don't request ports. Do them. You aren't a developer? osu!staff can't really help you