forum

So, uhm, this damned pen uh.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
felys
Hi guys!
It's my first post here on forum, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

My problem is, i don't know how to hold my tablet pen ç_ç
I hold it just like a pen,

but I've also seen that a lot of people grip it a looot more higher than i do... but for me, it's pratically impossible to do that (yes, i feel like a tard when i drop the pen after 5 seconds of a song).
Oh, and when I usually play a lot of time, my middle finger starts to hurts, where the pen is lean on, the side near the index finger :c

I've searched a bit on the forum but i haven't found that much (or maybe i closed without knowing forum threads tabs because tl;dr)

Please help me guys, give me any advice ç_ç
Vuelo Eluko
any way works if you can hit all 4 corners easily, usually this is NOT the same way you hold a pen to write so don't expect it to be surprised if it isn't. generally you'll hold it farther from the tip and position your hand differently for wider ranges of motions. the only important thing is keeping your grip the same once you find it
buny
hold it like a normal pen
xasuma
I hold mine exactly as a normal pen.
Mathsma
Hold it however you want, it is preference just like tablet area. Not everyone holds the pen like a normal pen, do you think GensokyoAkuma writes like he plays osu? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmG50E-vb9Y

As long as the grip is comfortable and allows you to move freely without tensing or straining your hand too much you will be able to play effectively with almost any grip.

Another example, Silynn uses 100% of his tablet area and holds his pen like a normal pen - http://www.twitch.tv/sileynn/c/4149041
buny
Yeah, not everyone holds the pen like a normal pen.
But a VERY large majority does.

Mathsma wrote:

As long as the grip is comfortable and allows you to move freely without tensing or straining your hand too much you will be able to play effectively with almost any grip.
You've used a normal pen grip for your whole life. Surely it should be comfortable, yes?

If you wanted to be "unique" so badly, I guess you could adopt an awkward pen grip. Other than that, why strive for another when the one you have already works?
[-Cloud-]

Mathsma wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmG50E-vb9Y
This video is so awkward on so many different levels.
Mathsma

buny wrote:

You've used a normal pen grip for your whole life. Surely it should be comfortable, yes?

If you wanted to be "unique" so badly, I guess you could adopt an awkward pen grip. Other than that, why strive for another when the one you have already works?
My normal pen grip is not comfortable for extended osu play and I am not trying to be "unique", it is simply that I found a grip that allows me to play more comfortably. This issue isn't a simple "use this grip for osu", it is a preference issue. If he wants to find the right grip he needs to experiment a bit until he finds one that he likes, and if that happens to be the normal pen grip then it is okay.
iaceo
All this "normal" grip... I'll assume everyone means a grip close to the tip..
Ill admitt that i dont play tablet but i own one and draw so ill give some input from that point of view!

Holding the pen at the tip is good for detailed drawing or writing, when your drawing longer lines or sketch you adjust your grip accordingly.
So when ive played around with my tablet ingame i end up holding it fairly high (same as when im drawing something bigger than a stamp), that just makes more sense to me. (All you damn folk are writers! Buying a tablet to play osu! and never learning how to use it!) actually what im trying to say is that you should be more open minded with the grips.

With a short grip i think players have a better time fine tuning positioning but their actual paths taken will be wobbly... So for streaming (following with a nice arc) an extended grip should be more suitable..

Try stuff out, they have different charasteristics.. Go draw some lines in paint.. Draw 10 dots in rows and connect them~ draw circles, arcs! do whatever! Experiment, progress, Cookiezi

Im sure there should be more in depth discussions on this somewhere on the forums.. There should be at least!
Have some grips: http://drawsketch.about.com/od/learntod ... ep-heading (page 4-5 are not tablet grips, too much incline and they are for large sketches.. A3size.. ^^
To round this all off i repeat, i play mouse ;d.. But i enjoy theorycrafting so decided to bump in a bit
winber1
whether it's your middle finger or ring or index finger or even pinkie that's leaning on the tablet, you will get used to it as you play more. I have awkward callus right at the last joint before my nail on my ring finger. I've had blisters there before and it would hurt a little to lean on it, but it goes away when you keep playing.

same thing with playing guitar. your hands will hurt like fuk at first, then it's easier. or you can switch from acoustic to electric and realize how painful acoustic guitar is.
Topic Starter
felys
First of all, thank you all for the answer.

Yes,in my whole life i used a pen the same way, but with osu i find myself a lot of times with pain in my hands (and my arms too), because i tense too much, as my grip on the pen is right before the tip.

So yeah, i will now try to change my grip a bit more far from the tip, and see how it works.
If not, I'm just gonna go back with normal grip and play with it :D