forum

Touch screen friendly mode/mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +18
Topic Starter
Dexus
First off, I understand that touchscreens are a minority, but for those that do have them osu! can be pretty difficult to play namely because of how fast streams are to tap and sometimes spinners are to spin. I propose a touch friendly mode or mod to be playable where it converts streams (1/4 notes) into half notes and spinners require less spin to pass. This would open up a lot more maps to be playable on a touchscreen monitor or even tablet pc. I enjoy playing osu! a lot on my laptop that has a touchscreen, but there's a select few amount of maps that I can actually play on it. I know of some other players that have tablet pc / touchscreen monitors that pick osu! up for 20 or 30 minutes and then don't really continue on playing with it simply because it's not possible. It feels like a gimmick or out of place playing the game with these types of devices when really it should feel more natural.
xasuma
Make it optional and unranked.
Although I don't know how it would implement this 'pseudo selective half time mod'.

This is a 'sure, why not' suggestion. However with the man power the developers have, I don't see it happening, because of the extreme minority factor you mentioned. And the fact that this would be at the bottom of their to do list most likely based on importance. :/
Topic Starter
Dexus
It would be more of a pseudo easy mode rather than a half time mod. I don't really expect them to add this right away, but it's just something I thought I'd put on the table for them to think about and possibly do in the future when they do have time.
power007
I suggest to add multi-touch support and then add buttons in the side of screen witch is allow to tap streams on touch-screen.
Lach
Multitouch would be incredibly overpowered, and shouldn't become part of the game as a ranked playstyle.
power007

Lach wrote:

Multitouch would be incredibly overpowered, and shouldn't become part of the game as a ranked playstyle.
no, I have only half of my power using touchscreen. Streams will add more 50% of skill and it will be equal as usual Wacom tablet user.
Topic Starter
Dexus
It would be like playing tobe style, everyone knows tobe style is OP for streams but it's hard to play really well. I don't hear anyone saying that tobe style should be unranked!

Edit:
Just to clarify, That is unrelated to this request though. This one is to just simplify notes in order for maps to be more playable without changing the input methods.
Sarah Katherine
I've got the same idea. When playing on touchscreen tab, there is a lot map that I can play, and/or I can only play Normal or Easy mode (hard to stream).
Plus, there will be more awesome if Mania, CTB and Taiko can be played on touchscreen too (they are keyboard-based).
veovis
kind of offtopic, but how do you even play on touchscreen properly, anyways? even when i have the tablet option selected, osu! only detects my taps on liftoff. it's pretty frustrating and impossible to play properly.
Kuudere
I really enjoy playing on my windows tablet but streams really kill me and normal songs are too slow, to address some other concerns couldn't you make a mode that allows for two notes to be hit simultaneously? Similar to how osu!stream is on iOS. This way the touch screen is required to play in this mode so ranks don't mix and there's no trouble for standard ranking.
Sea_Food
cant you use keyboard plus touchscreen? Keyboard to do streams while moving cursor with touch screen and every other note can touch normally on the screen. I have a similar set up kinda on my osu!droid. And you can get physical keyboards for like every tablet.

Then just play with spunout if u cant into spinners. If spun out spins too slow aswell that is another problem that there is already a thread for.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Thats just sidestepping the issue.
Using a keyboard would require you to disable mouse inputs and spun out would make you not have to spin. I want to be able to tap and spin with authentic touch input. The mapping style that would be playable for touch screen players would be painfully boring for everyone else so I dont see rankings of that style happening any time soon.
Vuelo Eluko
we need a mouse friendly mode where jumps are closer and a tablet friendly mode where streams are less spaced and more regularly shaped.
lets make it happen

i think people should just learn to get around the difficulties their playstyle choices bring.
Sea_Food

Riince wrote:

we need a mouse friendly mode where jumps are closer and a tablet friendly mode where streams are less spaced and more regularly shaped.
lets make it happen

i think people should just learn to get around the difficulties their playstyle choices bring.
Good point.

Also how about making some more touchscreen friendly maps like story of my wife, exept maybe even ranked.
MillhioreF
In a lot of ways, Relax makes for good touchscreen gameplay already. You can just drag across streams like sliders, hitting notes late will still be punished appropriately (since the cursor won't reach them until you tap; hitting early has no penalty though) and spinners get an SPM boost for easier spinning.