forum

What have you done lately to better yourself?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Amianki
SPOILER

CalignoBot wrote:

CalignoBot wrote:

I got a job at a grocery store (primarily to start paying on the student loan bills) and have been focusing almost entirely on making sure my coworkers and managers have as positive an opinion as possible about me. Primarily, I've been trying to improve communication in my department and become a support that people can rely on since... our department is notorious for having people leave or get forcibly kicked out within two months of them joining. One side effect of working here is that I'm also actually gaining social skills since I never talked to anyone during high school.
I'm really damn glad I had the foresight to do this, since I was made aware of a future job opportunity that can finally get me out of that horrific work environment. Both of the managers I had worked under are pretty much guaranteed to give a full positive review of me when asked, and I have a couple other professional references from my coworkers that can point out that the strong points of my personality align perfectly with what they're looking for. On top of that, I have three people within the company I'm shooting for that can do the same thing. My resume is already completely done and ready to roll, so I basically only have to worry about making some kind of fatal mistake in an interview because I'm basically set.

Just having that job instead of my current one would improve my life drastically. Even discounting better pay and more benefits, pretty much everything is better. The hours are consistent (my current job is nowhere near consistent; I have times where I close the department at 9PM and have to be there at 7AM 2 days later), the work environment is calmer and supportive (constant stress about having to multitask various things while also worrying about having to help the front end at my current job), the dress code is incredibly lax (I walked to work in the company's 'uniform', which is basically winter clothes; SUMMER IS FUN), I sit for most of the day (it's hard to walk after most shifts since I work 9 hours a day; virtually all of it is on my feet), etc. etc.

The only real downside is that I'd be talking to people over a phone, which I don't have the best time doing. |:

Otherwise, I"m a lot more comfortable with where my life is going now than I did a couple months ago. Now I just need to get my motivation back and I'll be set \o/

Update. I have an interview for a position with the company in about an hour and a half. If things go well, I'll officially start working for them on the first of Decembver.
xslyte
I'm still trying to work on being able to work hard for school and other "Important stuff". It feels like I'm letting my parents down at that part, Sister doing like the most impressive university available in the Netherlands and parents at kinda high-end jobs and here I am sitting behind my pc making small amounts of money with gaming and writing at forums, I don't go outside much because I don't like talking to stranger because I feel like I am waisting there time or they have better things to do. But yea that's like my complete story.
TheNekoNextDoor

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

My first target: this upcoming maths assessment I'm scared about. I'll go in, in a great mood, and feeling like I can succeed.
...I did it.
I can't believe I actually did it!
Now I know there's a way out of being constantly pessimistic. I just need to keep doing this... not JUST for tests, but in any situation!
I've found it!

I think I did really well in the test, anyway. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be! ^^
Magicphoenix

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

My first target: this upcoming maths assessment I'm scared about. I'll go in, in a great mood, and feeling like I can succeed.
...I did it.
Now I know there's a way out of being constantly pessimistic. I just need to keep doing this... not JUST for tests, but in any situation!
I've found it!

I think I did really well in the test, anyway. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be! ^^
spongypuppet

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

...I did it.
I've found it!

Congrats! I had tests as well! (I forgot about them so I hadn't revised T_T)
But I still got some decent scores, though! I'm a pessimist most of the time. But I sometimes keep the negative thoughts away by thinking and thinking (and sometimes talking to myself why/how this and that). I guess, everyday I become euphoric for a short period of time (although it goes away) by doing those things.
TheNekoNextDoor

Magicphoenix wrote:

Haha, thanks :)

spongypuppet wrote:

Congrats! I had tests as well! (I forgot about them so I hadn't revised T_T)
But I still got some decent scores, though! I'm a pessimist most of the time. But I sometimes keep the negative thoughts away by thinking and thinking (and sometimes talking to myself why/how this and that). I guess, everyday I become euphoric for a short period of time (although it goes away) by doing those things.
Yeah. I feel really pathetic sometimes if I look back on myself.. ><
After the test, I felt amazing (and my maths teacher high-fived me, haha) that I'd actually been able to do it. :)
I will keep trying to do the same - and you should too! c:
Magicphoenix

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

that). I guess, everyday I become euphoric for a short period of time (although it goes away) by doing those things.
Yeah. I feel really pathetic sometimes if I look back on myself.. ><
After the test, I felt amazing (and my maths teacher high-fived me, haha) that I'd actually been able to do it. :)
I will keep trying to do the same - and you should too! c:[/quote]

You sound like you've got the chillest maths teacher in the world. Good on you man.
Why waste time being angry or sad when you can just dream of good things and spend time on improving yourself.

Loads of celebrities and youtubers started out being that awkward, bullied, quiet and pessimistic guy and turned awesome instead. And that turn was not a moment, but a progress, a progress that was long and hard but - in the end - worth it.
The most notable example I know of is nigahiga. Just watch his draw my life video, it's really a feel-good story of an awkward boy turning into what he is today
AgrarianSkyX
My issue is that I am constantly depressed and unhappy, and like you I'm pretty sure I have some kind of an anger issue, but I have done a couple of things to try and help those things :D

I have made a final decision to seek as much help as possible from all of my peers before I self harm which has already helped.
I have decided every afternoon after school to spend the rest of the day that the sun is out sitting there in the sun, I tan very well and I don't burn and it's been a few years since I got some colour haha, the Vitamin D has also made me a happier person and spending the afternoon outside has made me feeel better about myself and made me a happier person in general :)
Paco
Play less osu!
kouzuki_karen

Pacolito wrote:

Play less osu!
nyxuppini
Did my math homework by myself. I'm able to do it for two weeks. Aiming for one or two months.
Juan Tacos
I went on a 22 km hike. I don't like hiking or do it and I missed osu but a break was needed. .3.
Lackadaisy
I've picked up lifting weights again.
Also, trying to be less of a waste of space, so that's nice.
Veloalopus
Lets start from the beginning: I used to be quite the lazy boy. Never doing anything, not following orders or whatever. I thought to myself all the time that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Well, that was the case a few months ago: Now I'm actually doing stuff outside of computers. I used to play video games between 5-10 hours a day. Now I hardly play them for 3 hours. Yesterday, I actually quit playing games ALL TOGETHER except this game, Clash of Clans, and the Hyperdimension Neptunia games.

I always tell myself 'I did wrong' whenever I do wrong now. That actually happened yesterday as well. And I am not as bad as I used to be with dealing with people. I still treat my friends like crap, jokingly anyway.
Nothing else really; but I DO still have things I need to work on.
TheNekoNextDoor

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

I'm sad to say that I really didn't do very well at all.

What happened
Yeah, I got my results today. My teacher asked me to stay behind after the lesson to go through them with her.
I got 28 out of the possible 60 marks, giving me 47% and a C grade.
I'm so disappointed. I went in with an optimistic state of mind! I wasn't putting myself under any pressure... I think! My teacher and I had a glance at my paper and I did some incredibly silly mistakes, and I really struggled on one part.
My teacher tried to comfort me, saying that she was really proud of me for being optimistic through the test and that I'd done well, but I refused to believe it. I just kept on crying.

...I've given up. Even if I go into tests optimistic, with less stress on myself, I STILL fail. Why do I even bother TRYING?
I've got a German test coming up this week as well, and today's events have REALLY damaged my confidence. I don't know how to get back up now.
Birdy
I put effort and time in my psychology thing. 1777 words and 7 pages so far. For now, I'm proud of myself.
Daxia
I open up to people a little more than I used to
-_Lazy_-_old
1-2years ago i was rly empathic with everything, now i changed my self to the opposite i dont give a damn anymore about anything. Not sure if that's good or bad XD
-Takis-
Tried making friends at school uwu
TheNekoNextDoor

-Takis- wrote:

Cancelled my suicide plans c:
I'm so glad to hear that. :)

Anyway...
I forgot to mention - on Thursday, I spoke to my maths teacher about ways of improving my score (C-, for those who didn't read my wall of text the other day :P ), and I'm going to go through the paper with her on Monday break.

I spoke to the teacher that said "Leave your pessimistic self behind at the old school, and embrace the optimistic light of this new school!" to me (seems ages since she said that, lol) yesterday and she said I've done the right thing. :)
Woppitydoo
Took my antidepressants I guess
Nidavellir
I found my kitty :D
Mav d[-_-]b
PC gaming has been a huge part of my life. I have been gaming since a long time ago. I also never did any sport and rarely went outdoors, so this is a huge thing for me.
I have quit CS:GO becuase I dont feel quite motivated to play anymore and is taking up too much of my time.
I also have started Muay Thai. It is something that I kept telling myself I'd eventually do but end up playing computer games in the end.
Also started to lift weights and go running.
Hope it goes well... :oops:

Oh and of course I will keep playing osu casually
TheNekoNextDoor
I went through my maths paper today with my teacher. Turns out, with the amount of silly mistakes I'd made, if I'd got them right, I'd have gotten a B grade.
I actually did get the lowest score in my class. :(

But, even with that sad thought, I think that the session helped. A lot.
Paco

Mav d[-_-]b wrote:

PC gaming has been a huge part of my life. I have been gaming since a long time ago. I also never did any sport and rarely went outdoors, so this is a huge thing for me.
I have quit CS:GO becuase I dont feel quite motivated to play anymore and is taking up too much of my time.
I also have started Muay Thai. It is something that I kept telling myself I'd eventually do but end up playing computer games in the end.
Also started to lift weights and go running.
Hope it goes well... :oops:

Oh and of course I will keep playing osu casually
Good job and good luck with it :)
Alucard

Juan Tacos wrote:

I went on a 22 km hike. I don't like hiking or do it and I missed osu but a break was needed. .3.

Nice, carry any weight?
daredakke
Since mid-September I started working out more, mostly cycling, weight lifting and push-ups, and I also decided to walk to university every other day, which is a 3 mile walk.

Recently been trying to cut down on a lot of processed food too and I kinda feel better for it. Rice is so cheap and vegetables last longer than I thought. Still need to research more meal ideas though.

Most importantly I'm actually getting my uni coursework done little by little each day and I should finish it on time. All to easy to just put it off till tomorrow even when the work isn't that hard.
Eun-Fox
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
hmmm...well I devoted myself to practice on traditional art and Digital art, also gaming.
At the moment I'm struggling in highschool since from where I live ( California,USA ) I'm in my 5th year in highschool and I was suppose to graduate late 2014 but I haven't due to low credits and from me skipping...( no not doing drugs or drinking,just skipping as in sleeping in ) I can't make it to graduate this year so I have to go to a adult school when I hit 18 or when school is over on late June. Pretty much I'm a slow learner.Other then that At the moment I want to go to a Art Institute College somewhere around San Fransisco or Los Angeles. I want to Study Abroad to japan to study anime games for my dream career I want to do ( Digital Game design ). Hmm what I've done to better myself...well I haven't cut in 2 years so I'm clean. So that's a start. I've been talking to my mom a lot lately so that's good also. ( Me and my mom weren't in good terms in the last 10 years due to Language barrier ) hmm and then I stopped being " lazy " throughout my year trying to exercise.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Chiuyo
Everyones writing so long texts and here's me.
------------

I've started eating again.
Uncle Druidus
Damn, I see alot of people doing all those things to make their life better. And me, I'm just sitting here doing nothing, almost failing at two subjects. lmao
Nathan
Started sleeping more
guro
Inimici
I played more 8-)
HaruryuuSan
Getting better grades :3
ERA Puzzle
I exercise (nearly) every day sans weekends and I have for the past 4 years. It's something I resolved on a while ago and since then I've kept vigilant and am very proud of the way I look/feel and the fact that I've pushed myself to do it for 4 years now. ^^

Otherwise, I quit playing League of Legends. I was addicted to the game and played it for all the wrong reasons. It made me get incredibly upset and frustrated with myself and I felt really toxic. I started playing less and less and that's when I slipped into Osu, and I started to realize that League wasn't going to go anywhere for me and stressed me out and made me upset with myself. Ever since quitting, I've felt a huge relief and don't feel pressured anymore to play or to do well. Instead I can just play Osu and have fun :D

The other thing is I've decided to stop drinking soda. It's too bad for me T~T
Wwlink55
Been trying to get into javascript, hopefully to try and collaborate with friends to create a small text-adventure game.
Nathan
I've started to play less for a while to fix my grades
Treekii

Uncle Druidus wrote:

Damn, I see alot of people doing all those things to make their life better. And me, I'm just sitting here doing nothing, almost failing at two subjects. lmao
Are you me? ;_;
unko
i made saibaquest
Dokixdoki
Quit watching anime for a while to focus on school T_T Getting time to swim more too
show more