forum

What have you done lately to better yourself?

posted
Total Posts
show more
[ Kubolo ]
Studying a lot :v
- K a t h -
More time on studying xD less on anime and gaming </3
6ixr
i started do deal with a stress, depression and anger issue now.
reading about this forum inspired me to push even harder to fix my problems
thank you JAKACHAN.
KazmiSain
Update:

I just started training in a gym with some of my freinds ^^, im going to train and eat healthy stuff, its about time that i leave my cave at home.

My inspiration: Kaneki Ken (Spoiler Alert this picture is from the Tokyo Ghoul manga, and is ahead of the anime series)
Take ur own responsibility, its a little spoiler but still
Toukai
Finally applied to college and probably gonna start doing sports again
Weez
After graduating 4 years ago now things have been progressively going down hill. I didn't get into a program I wanted to go into (Commerce) back in high school so I settled for a different alternative (Economics), that was my first mistake in a long LONG line of mistakes. Going into economics I found something out, I HATED IT! Like I really didn't find any joy or fulfillment in economics. So I made it my goal to get out and do something better. Only problem was I didn't have an action plan or way of getting out. For some reason I thought in my mind that I will just get handed things to me. That's mistake number 2. After then I started wasting year after year trying to "find something better" by doing really nothing. Seeing my friends all graduating, starting their careers, doing what they have a passion for, while I'm still in the same spot "trying" to move on. Years go on and people start to leave one by one, now I'm all alone, well that's what I thought. As those years move on, so does the cost of going to school for nothing. My student debt starts to pile as I'm going no where. Currently I'm about $16,000 in debt so far and to the university, they label me as a 1st year student. Imagine how that feels, having $16Gs in debt being a damn first year student...

A problem I have is not letting people see what's truly going on inside of me. I tell lies to cover up my flaws to maintain a certain image to people. That is mistake number 3. I started telling lies to the people I hold dear to me, my parents, family, girlfriend, friends, almost everyone, just to show that I can deal with things by myself and can be independent. I started getting tangled in my own web of lies that I lost it. People started to find out, people started to get mad at me for lie and I deserve it. Every bit of it I deserve. I broke down, I couldn't handle it any longer. I was hurting the people that mean the universe to me all just to maintain a fake image. Stupid right?

So I started letting people know that I need help, real help and quick. That's where things started to get better for me. At first it didn't seem like it, people still mad that I wasted time doing nothing, but they are honestly there to help me if they really do care about me. So now as I sit at home for this fall semester, I take this moment for fix everything up and get things organized and set. As I work full time at a local McDonald's (been there for 4 years but part time, which I hate!!! Lol) I decided to leave university in general and apply to something that is more suited for me called college. Apply to it at the beginning of September and guess what! I GOT IN!!! Got accepted into computer science, something I dabbled into and actually loved! Come the winter I start school again and this time its a new start!! A brand new me that is ready to change, ready to communicate better with people and to start expanding my horizon. I'm 22, I have my whole life ahead of me. Doesn't matter if the people around me are starting their lives now, everyone goes at it at their own pace and this is my pace!!!

TL:DR version:
I fucked up with school for 4 years and messed around with people. Took some time to step back and look at my situation, to get my shit together and start doing what I love to do. Keep people close, people that care will always have your back.
Gumpy

Weez wrote:

Wall of text
Good job on writing a lot of text, Good luck.

I wish there was a way too read this quickly.
Birdy
I finally managed to put effort in my exams (wrote 4 to 6,5 pages in each - aside from English and Swedish, all the exams were essay-only), will see the results in 2 weeks + some days. Guess I should be stoked. New semester started on Thursday, I hope I will do just as well or even better this time, despite being rather lonely and abandoned at school, not going to let that dampen my spark, no damn way. I guess there's always the chance for making new friends, too.
Senpoii
Cut down on smoking and plan to quit for new years...
Xheriux
Osu :3
HaruryuuSan
Studying and more errands :)
Must work hard :<
Dreamgate
being lazy.
TheNekoNextDoor
A lot of you know that I'm a pretty pessimistic person, and a mad perfectionist. I let one single mistake get me down, and I beat myself up about every mistake for ages on end. Bad test results, being terrible in P.E no change there, getting something wrong... all of those things make me sad. When I look back on myself, I just think how pathetic I am.

Well, I've taken something to heart that my teacher (who I've known since middle school) said to me a while ago: "Leave your pessimistic self behind at the old school, and embrace the optimistic light of this new school!"
Although I have been failing to reach this, after having a fairly bad day, I've decided to be a bit more determined about achieving one goal. To eliminate my pessimism for GOOD. I need to stop saying I'm stupid and labelling myself like that.
CoolChris
I've set goals for myself at the gym and today (after years of wishing) i was finally able to do a muscle up. I did 2. I haven't felt this good since i don't know when, its a feeling that doesn't come around anymore. Made me happy ^_^
Eddy EX
Started Studying for test more often now :D
Raisha Millenia
studying more
Magicphoenix

Ichara wrote:

studying more

Drake_Infinite wrote:

That's cool guys :) People say "I don't know how to do math" or "How am I supposed to understand this weird biological process with all these technical terms", but that's because they never have tried studying before.
It might not become "Dang, this is so easy I can do this while sleeping"-level-easy (Though with enough studying that is possible for sure!), but it will help A LOT more than doing nothing and agonizing/running.
Magicphoenix

CoolChris wrote:

I've set goals for myself at the gym and today (after years of wishing) i was finally able to do a muscle up. I did 2. I haven't felt this good since i don't know when, its a feeling that doesn't come around anymore. Made me happy ^_^
Every (second) day 2 muscle ups, and later this month it becomes 3 muscle ups. Then 4 and 5... by 2015 you might be able to hit 10! It's all about not giving up and appreciating the small successes like you're already doing. The feeling is amazing and it can be incredibly fun to see yourself improving.

I started out doing 10 pushups and 20 bycicle crunches every day. Few weeks later I did 15 pushups, 25 crunches => ... . Now I'm at 25 pushups and 35 crunches and it's hellofalot rewarding to see my physique looking better on top of being stronger!! :D
Just keep on going and it WILL be worth it
Raisha Millenia

Magicphoenix wrote:

Ichara wrote:

studying more

Drake_Infinite wrote:

That's cool guys :) People say "I don't know how to do math" or "How am I supposed to understand this weird biological process with all these technical terms", but that's because they never have tried studying before.
It might not become "Dang, this is so easy I can do this while sleeping"-level-easy (Though with enough studying that is possible for sure!), but it will help A LOT more than doing nothing and agonizing/running.
yeah very true ~ :D
-sev

Ilfri-chan wrote:

I wish I had your motivation to cut it as well.
Magicphoenix

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

A lot of you know that I'm a pretty pessimistic person, and a mad perfectionist. I let one single mistake get me down, and I beat myself up about every mistake for ages on end. Bad test results, being terrible in P.E no change there, getting something wrong... all of those things make me sad. When I look back on myself, I just think how pathetic I am.

Well, I've taken something to heart that my teacher (who I've known since middle school) said to me a while ago: "Leave your pessimistic self behind at the old school, and embrace the optimistic light of this new school!"
Although I have been failing to reach this, after having a fairly bad day, I've decided to be a bit more determined about achieving one goal. To eliminate my pessimism for GOOD. I need to stop saying I'm stupid and labelling myself like that.
You know, I really love your teacher for saying that.
I tell this to you from my own experience, I, too, am a perfectionist. Everything I do has to be on point. Be it group work or sports, you can be damn sure when your whole team is trolling, I'll be that one 1,68m asian guy who still tries to turn it around on his own (the sport aspect still hasn't change, I'm a tryhard through and through). That doesn't sound so bad does it?
But when it comes to things like test or , in my case, relapsing (Masturbating even though you set yourself the goal not to) and you beat yourself up over that, it really is not gonna help!
The first and most important step is to forgive yourself. Of course in retrospect you realize all you've done wrong, how you could have done that and that better. But it's in the past, and for most things which happened in the past they remain unchangable. If you can change it - do it, if not - don't fret over it. That also applies to things where you slipped up in the past and you can't help it in the present moment.
Just remember the second most important step is that you learn from those mistakes. Maybe even write it down - "On my next test, I will score 100 points/an A/a 1. But to do that, I need to study"

For every mistake you do, forgive yourself, then change yourself so you don't repeat the same mistake. It's still like being a perfectionist - a unique characteristic that you can't change from one day to the other (surely if you genuinely want to change you can though) - but with forgiving yourself. And with those two attributes, you're really set out for life :)
TheNekoNextDoor

Magicphoenix wrote:

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

You know, I really love your teacher for saying that.
I tell this to you from my own experience, I, too, am a perfectionist. Everything I do has to be on point. Be it group work or sports, you can be damn sure when your whole team is trolling, I'll be that one 1,68m asian guy who still tries to turn it around on his own (the sport aspect still hasn't change, I'm a tryhard through and through). That doesn't sound so bad does it?
But when it comes to things like test or , in my case, relapsing (Masturbating even though you set yourself the goal not to) and you beat yourself up over that, it really is not gonna help!
The first and most important step is to forgive yourself. Of course in retrospect you realize all you've done wrong, how you could have done that and that better. But it's in the past, and for most things which happened in the past they remain unchangable. If you can change it - do it, if not - don't fret over it. That also applies to things where you slipped up in the past and you can't help it in the present moment.
Just remember the second most important step is that you learn from those mistakes. Maybe even write it down - "On my next test, I will score 100 points/an A/a 1. But to do that, I need to study"

For every mistake you do, forgive yourself, then change yourself so you don't repeat the same mistake. It's still like being a perfectionist - a unique characteristic that you can't change from one day to the other (surely if you genuinely want to change you can though) - but with forgiving yourself. And with those two attributes, you're really set out for life :)
Thank you! Although I have been having a bad time lately and failing to reach my little goal there, I'm going to make the push.
My first target: this upcoming maths assessment I'm scared about. I'll go in, in a great mood, and feeling like I can succeed.
CoolChris

Magicphoenix wrote:

CoolChris wrote:

Every (second) day 2 muscle ups, and later this month it becomes 3 muscle ups. Then 4 and 5... by 2015 you might be able to hit 10! It's all about not giving up and appreciating the small successes like you're already doing. The feeling is amazing and it can be incredibly fun to see yourself improving.

I started out doing 10 pushups and 20 bycicle crunches every day. Few weeks later I did 15 pushups, 25 crunches => ... . Now I'm at 25 pushups and 35 crunches and it's hellofalot rewarding to see my physique looking better on top of being stronger!! :D
Just keep on going and it WILL be worth it
Thank you for the motivation! And funny how you say 10, because that was the new goal i've set for myself, I must be able to do 10 in a row in order for it to be accomplished. Never give up, never say you can't, because when i started out lifting 10 lbs i was laughed at. Who's laughing now, when i bench 205 lbs 4 times and i only weigh 132 lbs. You should see the looks on peoples faces, it fuels me to do more, keep staring at me, keep looking at someone who is short but able to do so much. They don't know that feel, they only know how to judge you, and look down upon you. I say F them and keep being yourself. let them stare, let them know that they wont ever be able to get to the level im at. I'm so glad i signed up, i was weak and pathetic before, thinking of why im such a loser. But gym made me realize how strong i can become. Even when im alone, i know im strong, i can see it, others can see it.

Thank You.
Magicphoenix

Nikkumi wrote:

Ilfri-chan wrote:

I wish I had your motivation to cut it as well.
Walls of text
SPOILER
I'm no expert on this at all, so correct me if I'm wrong, but have you considered getting help from smoking rehabiliation centers? I feel like there should be many forms of counteractions, especially against something like smoking. It's pretty much a world-wide, mass-problem so there ought to be some people who can help.

Otherwise, if motivation is a problem, try out some self improvement books or videos, bro. I know that exact feeling and I still have the lack of motivation at times for things like excercising, socializing or many MANY other things, but there are definitely methods to push up that motivation, that will to fight against something.
There's youtubers, there's self-improvement books, and with these come methods to assist you in becoming the version of yourself that you strive to be.
I could write a lot of things down that I've found throughout my own journey, but unfortunately I'm not as linguistically talented to properly write it all down and still make it seem interesting.

If I may quote our dear Eminem:
"Sometimes you just feel tired, feel weak
And when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up
But you gotta search within you, and gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that shit out of you"
He himself was under heavy influence of drugs, much stronger and more addictive than smoking. He couldn't write music anymore for a long time of his career because he didn't have motivation, didn't have the strength, because he kept doing drugs (and probably smoking as well).
But he also made it back and brought out his album "Recovery", because he sought for help through rehabiliation.

And trust me, what Eminem can do, everybody can do. It's fucking hard and I acknowledge that, but many people cope with shit like that and those who truly want to, always get out of that shithole.

SPOILER
My personal tips:
Try by cutting down on other habits. If you drink a lot of sugary water(soda)/juice, stop drinking them on a Wednesday and Saturday. Only drink water. After weeks or months, only drink water. Or only drink soda/juice on a friday. It's one of the healthiest and imo one of the more easier habit changes you can make. It's all about habits. Habits are hard to break, but once you break them, you can keep it that way much easier than before.
Maybe find other things that apply to your lifestyle that you could change into a healthier way like going on a walk for 20 minutes every day.
And when you feel ready (or the satisfaction of earning the previous habits), try the same with smoking. Delay your usual smoking time by 30-60 minutes. For every smoke you take, think "Nope, in 40 minutes only."
Eventually it becomes "Nope, not today, only tomorrow again." The same principle like the soda/juice. Stop smoking every Wednesday. Then on 2 days. And so on. As long as you can get that motivation, that inner strength, then you can beat every bad habit you want and become any person you'd like to be. It really isn't that simple, but it is.

Good luck bro. What everyone else can do, you can do too.

Here you can find a few youtubers who I hope will help you, since they could also help me.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Kemetprince1/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/elliottsaidwhat/featured
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoldJacketLuke/videos
Just pick a few or search for videos that interest you by the title. They will help you with smoking, other bad habits, and will surely help you get that motivation from within.

Special mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16vhtjWKL0 - "What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking?", a video that really hits the nail where it does the job. And in my opinion teaches a lot of other things, aside from just quit smoking - you should defintely check this out!
Magicphoenix

CoolChris wrote:

They don't know that feel, they only know how to judge you, and look down upon you. I say F them and keep being yourself. let them stare, let them know that they wont ever be able to get to the level im at. I'm so glad i signed up, i was weak and pathetic before, thinking of why im such a loser. But gym made me realize how strong i can become. Even when im alone, i know im strong, i can see it, others can see it.

Thank You.
This :)
I wish you the best of luck! You may even keep me updated, if you feel like sharing your journey with a complete stranger :)
CoolChris

Magicphoenix wrote:

This :)
I wish you the best of luck! You may even keep me updated, if you feel like sharing your journey with a complete stranger :)
I have some pics posted on "Post you in real life" thread all though you may have to dig a few pages back. I believe my last update was on 14th week of my workout, so next one will be at the 20th week. (it is week 18 as i'm writing this). And of course! i won't forget your kind words, so look forward to it! :) thanks again!
TheNekoNextDoor

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

My first target: this upcoming maths assessment I'm scared about. I'll go in, in a great mood, and feeling like I can succeed.
I told my form tutor this during my Academic Tutor session (chatting to form tutor about what went well this half term, what didn't and setting targets for next half term), and she's really happy about it. I also have a German end of unit test coming up, so I will do the same.
As for my target for next half term, I suggested becoming a lot less harsh on myself - Miss thought it was a bit of a large burden, so she suggested not to get upset if I get something wrong. I AM DETERMINED TO ACHIEVE THIS.
Maths assessment tomorrow though >o<
Amianki
SPOILER

CalignoBot wrote:

CalignoBot wrote:

I got a job at a grocery store (primarily to start paying on the student loan bills) and have been focusing almost entirely on making sure my coworkers and managers have as positive an opinion as possible about me. Primarily, I've been trying to improve communication in my department and become a support that people can rely on since... our department is notorious for having people leave or get forcibly kicked out within two months of them joining. One side effect of working here is that I'm also actually gaining social skills since I never talked to anyone during high school.
I'm really damn glad I had the foresight to do this, since I was made aware of a future job opportunity that can finally get me out of that horrific work environment. Both of the managers I had worked under are pretty much guaranteed to give a full positive review of me when asked, and I have a couple other professional references from my coworkers that can point out that the strong points of my personality align perfectly with what they're looking for. On top of that, I have three people within the company I'm shooting for that can do the same thing. My resume is already completely done and ready to roll, so I basically only have to worry about making some kind of fatal mistake in an interview because I'm basically set.

Just having that job instead of my current one would improve my life drastically. Even discounting better pay and more benefits, pretty much everything is better. The hours are consistent (my current job is nowhere near consistent; I have times where I close the department at 9PM and have to be there at 7AM 2 days later), the work environment is calmer and supportive (constant stress about having to multitask various things while also worrying about having to help the front end at my current job), the dress code is incredibly lax (I walked to work in the company's 'uniform', which is basically winter clothes; SUMMER IS FUN), I sit for most of the day (it's hard to walk after most shifts since I work 9 hours a day; virtually all of it is on my feet), etc. etc.

The only real downside is that I'd be talking to people over a phone, which I don't have the best time doing. |:

Otherwise, I"m a lot more comfortable with where my life is going now than I did a couple months ago. Now I just need to get my motivation back and I'll be set \o/

Update. I have an interview for a position with the company in about an hour and a half. If things go well, I'll officially start working for them on the first of Decembver.
xslyte
I'm still trying to work on being able to work hard for school and other "Important stuff". It feels like I'm letting my parents down at that part, Sister doing like the most impressive university available in the Netherlands and parents at kinda high-end jobs and here I am sitting behind my pc making small amounts of money with gaming and writing at forums, I don't go outside much because I don't like talking to stranger because I feel like I am waisting there time or they have better things to do. But yea that's like my complete story.
TheNekoNextDoor

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

...I did it.
I can't believe I actually did it!
Now I know there's a way out of being constantly pessimistic. I just need to keep doing this... not JUST for tests, but in any situation!
I've found it!

I think I did really well in the test, anyway. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be! ^^
Magicphoenix

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

...I did it.
Now I know there's a way out of being constantly pessimistic. I just need to keep doing this... not JUST for tests, but in any situation!
I've found it!

I think I did really well in the test, anyway. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be! ^^
spongypuppet

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

...I did it.
I've found it!

Congrats! I had tests as well! (I forgot about them so I hadn't revised T_T)
But I still got some decent scores, though! I'm a pessimist most of the time. But I sometimes keep the negative thoughts away by thinking and thinking (and sometimes talking to myself why/how this and that). I guess, everyday I become euphoric for a short period of time (although it goes away) by doing those things.
TheNekoNextDoor

Magicphoenix wrote:

Haha, thanks :)

spongypuppet wrote:

Congrats! I had tests as well! (I forgot about them so I hadn't revised T_T)
But I still got some decent scores, though! I'm a pessimist most of the time. But I sometimes keep the negative thoughts away by thinking and thinking (and sometimes talking to myself why/how this and that). I guess, everyday I become euphoric for a short period of time (although it goes away) by doing those things.
Yeah. I feel really pathetic sometimes if I look back on myself.. ><
After the test, I felt amazing (and my maths teacher high-fived me, haha) that I'd actually been able to do it. :)
I will keep trying to do the same - and you should too! c:
Magicphoenix

TheNekoNextDoor wrote:

that). I guess, everyday I become euphoric for a short period of time (although it goes away) by doing those things.
Yeah. I feel really pathetic sometimes if I look back on myself.. ><
After the test, I felt amazing (and my maths teacher high-fived me, haha) that I'd actually been able to do it. :)
I will keep trying to do the same - and you should too! c:[/quote]

You sound like you've got the chillest maths teacher in the world. Good on you man.
Why waste time being angry or sad when you can just dream of good things and spend time on improving yourself.

Loads of celebrities and youtubers started out being that awkward, bullied, quiet and pessimistic guy and turned awesome instead. And that turn was not a moment, but a progress, a progress that was long and hard but - in the end - worth it.
The most notable example I know of is nigahiga. Just watch his draw my life video, it's really a feel-good story of an awkward boy turning into what he is today
AgrarianSkyX
My issue is that I am constantly depressed and unhappy, and like you I'm pretty sure I have some kind of an anger issue, but I have done a couple of things to try and help those things :D

I have made a final decision to seek as much help as possible from all of my peers before I self harm which has already helped.
I have decided every afternoon after school to spend the rest of the day that the sun is out sitting there in the sun, I tan very well and I don't burn and it's been a few years since I got some colour haha, the Vitamin D has also made me a happier person and spending the afternoon outside has made me feeel better about myself and made me a happier person in general :)
Paco
Play less osu!
kouzuki_karen

Pacolito wrote:

Play less osu!
nyxuppini
Did my math homework by myself. I'm able to do it for two weeks. Aiming for one or two months.
Juan Tacos
I went on a 22 km hike. I don't like hiking or do it and I missed osu but a break was needed. .3.
Lackadaisy
I've picked up lifting weights again.
Also, trying to be less of a waste of space, so that's nice.
show more