forum

What do you like about mania?

posted
Total Posts
show more
ikzune
community, chords, some lower density short ln focused songs

dislike my bad habits in osu owo, but no id prefer not to go by the global ranking, i guess thats one thing i dislike ._.
Bobbias
Well this started off just listing the stuff I liked, but I didn't like how short the post was, so I decided to discuss both what I like, and what I dislike. gotta keep up the reputation for walls of text you know!

The good:

BSS - Probably one of the most unifying features of the game. BSS has it's glitches occasionally, but overall the system is quite possibly the single most important thing for keeping the community as centralized as it is. Without a central way to distribute beatmaps some things would be pretty different I think. I just wish you got more slots and had more control over your maps (like the ability to graveyard something at will).

The Editor - The editor for mania is very usable, and makes timing things easier than some other editors for VSRGs. I wouldn't say the editor has any features that set it apart or make it unique, or make it a particularly big asset to mania, but it's at least usable. I know some people will disagree on that one though.

Integrated chat - This feature is probably a big contributor to why I'm still here. Whenever I'm bored of mashing keys to music, I hit one key and can see if any of my friends are online. Usually after a minute or two of chatting, my boredom lifts and I go right back to mashing keys. The ability to communicate directly within the game environment is a very nice feature that also has a lot to do with keeping the community centralized.

The Bad:

The community - Osu's community is incredibly immature. That's not to say that there aren't mature people here, but that the overall impression I get from the community is that the average age must be about 12 (less than half my current age). Mind you, this could be alleviated by allowing for players to have their own private chat rooms, but as far as I know that's still extremely unlikely to happen. The real problem here is the lack of moderation in chat as well as on the forums. This is something I will probably be complaining about for the foreseeable future, because it seems that neither peppy nor anyone else with the power to make changes feels that there's a problem with the current system.

The Editor - Yes, the editor is listed under both of these headings. While the editor is easier to use than some other editors (such as the o2jam note tool, or BMS editors), it doesn't have many particularly useful features for editing mania maps. The horizontal and vertical flip features are handy, but they're holdovers from the standard editor anyway, so the don't really count. The disabling of the "open as reference" feature deserves a mention here as well, because that feature is something I made quite a bit of use of, and I've yet to see an official explanation for why that feature was removed/disabled. I also feel that the editor would benefit greatly from more mania editing specific features, such as better methods for selecting large sections of music, or color coded layering. Hopefully peppy will give the mania editor some love whenever he finally gets around to revamping the mania codebase.

The ranking system - While the intentions behind the ranking system are good (separate the good from the bad) it does a poor job of doing so. The system has alienated members of the community enough to cause them to leave or stop trying to create ranked maps. It also creates an environment where popular mappers/modders receive far more attention than newcomers. The current system is also unfairly reliant on a small number of BATs to bubble and rank maps, which we have seen can be problematic. Beyond all this, the system leads many mappers to focus on meeting the minimum requirements to push for their map to be ranked regardless of its actual quality. Although quality is ultimately subjective, I'm pretty sure that if a mapper didn't really put any thought into the placement of each note, and relies on mods to fix the map, that no matter how many mods they get, the map is likely doomed to be awful, because mods are polish, and it doesn't matter how polished a turd is, it's still a turd. Hopefully modding 2.0 will help promote underexposed mappers and streamline the process of getting ranked in a way that makes things feel less alienating for some mappers.

Autoconverts - I know this is a controversial subject, but I firmly believe that autoconverts have negatively impacted the mania community. Because autoconverts are so drastically different than mania specific maps, it has splintered the mania community into people who support autoconverts, and those who do not. This creates unnecessary animosity between players. While I support the idea that mania should be a place of diversity where maps with various different styles can coexist, I believe that allowing autoconverts to have any effect on a player's ranking has led to this divide. I firmly believe that it was a mistake to allow autoconverts to contribute to PP gain. By allowing autoconverts to contribute to PP and therefore rank, many players are given the opportunity to avoid playing mania specific maps and take the "easy way out" by playing autoconverts.

So, why do I keep playing osu!mania if I have far more bad things to say about it than good?

I've decided to make this community my home for now, and I don't like seeing my home community failing to achieve what I feel is possible. I complain because I care. I want mania to succeed, even in the face of all of these problems, because I see a potential for a game and community even better than what we already have. I'm also not convinced that the communities of other games are really any better, nor are they as accessible or integrated as the community here is.

I don't care about things like rank (although 'm not entirely apathetic to it. I still like to try to keep my rank from dropping too low) or some mostly arbitrary skill tracking system like the BMS Dans. I play osumania because the physical feeling of playing beatmaps is fun, and because when that fails me, there's usually someone there to talk to until I feel like playing again. I could enjoy this feeling in other games, but I chose osu!mania, and I plan on staying here for now.
Aqo
The ease of making a map and submitting it is definitely by far the biggest thing that keeps me in osu!mania right now. If there was no map editor or map submission system I would've uninstalled long ago.
Kamikaze
Bobbias, man, you could be a good moderator for our chat. You should ask someone higher about that
Arzenvald
i like osu!mania because at this moment, there's none of VSRG game which have a 'complete feature' for best offline & online experiencing, except osu!mania itself... huehuehue... xD
[-kuroaki]
I like osu! mania because it's easy
arviejhay
because it's funnnnnnnnnnnnn :D
PyaKura
I wanted to make a WoT as well but gave up lol

BSS/user-friendly
CephiCC
I like the tangibility of my rank. I love just playing to see my rank go up. That's one of my biggest motivators.

I don't mesh with the community very well, never have. It's probably just a culture shock/clash thing.

I like the streamlined map creation tools. The only problem being the BATs. I wish there were like BAT elections or something similar.

I think I'm developing a form of carpal tunnel so I'm taking a break from mania. ;p
[TIM]
I like Mania for many reasons. For one, it is one of those games where you can see improvement. I like to look at the local ranking and analyze what scores I improved from any given song over half a year ago :). Not only that, it is also enjoyable to pass a song that you never thought was possible before. The ranking system is nice too, although there can be a lot said about the current ranked/unranked maps. But overall, there isn't much NOT to like about mania.
ArcherLove
actually, I like mania because its community :) , I mean look, you can meet different type of people here \o/
- SDVX player
- BMS player
- o2jam player
- pop'n player
- DJ Max player
- other music rhytm game player

Just love this <3
Tokiiwa
I can press buttons
Tear
SV changes are easy to map

i love sv

sv waifu
Inkling
I like having non-zero people to multiplayer with.
Plutarch_old
From what I have played so far, it reminds me a lot of similar rhythm games like O2Jam and LR2, which is nice. It also has a large community surrounding it, and the client itself is extremely polished. Looking forward to spending a lot of time here and slowly improving.
pengomon
What I like in osu!mania:
> Editor is very userful and easy to finding BPM & offset--> Easy to finding BPM & offset? Yeah, I know! It's maybe funny answer. But..., osu! editor is easier to find BPM & offset songs. Only using finger tapping, I could find BPM & offset songs! :v
> The perfect gameplay with hard judgement --> More people said if osu!mania judgement is harder than another board rhthym game--like O2Jam or beatmania IIDX. But I think it's good for praticing perfect accuracy. For me, osu!mania is challenging board game with hard judgement accuracy. 8-)
> Easy to speak mods --> We're human who not perfect and have more lack. Sometimes, we made beatmap perfectly but it still have more lack and problem. So, we should so tell what the problem. And luckily, osu! web have BSS (Beatmap Submission System). Easy to upload mapsets for osu! editor. If another played say mod your map, you can edit it and re-upload again in same web. It's easy and simple! :lol:

What I don't like in osu!mania:
> Star rating system is annoying --> More people agree about it. Seriously! Star rating of osu!mania make me annoying! :o

Entozer wrote:

For example, a full LN map might be rated the same as a full non-LN stream maps, and those who like the other would say "This is harder than the rating says!
Yeah, I know it! I don't know what star rating system in osu!mania not include LN (Long Note), SV (Slider Velocity [in osu!mania mode, I said "Speed Velocity"]) Changes, and HP--OD rate as its calculation. Yeah! Like another rhthym games, "Sometimes, level chart is fool." :v
> Different beatmaps, different HP--OD rate --> It's sadly to ask in here but I tell it becaues it make me annoying too--although it don't very make me annoying. :( For example, A beatmap (example: HD diff) in one mapset have HP drain = 7 and OD = 7. In another case, another beatmap (example: MX diff) in same mapset have HP drain = 8 and OD = 8 or this beatmap is SC diff that have HP drain = 9 and OD = 9. I don't know what other people say, but I think different rate is same different accuracy. But for now, It's not very problem! :)
> It's (very) hard to finding specific mania beatmaps that not 4K & 7K mode map--especially ranked map --> Yeah! You know.... I'm osu!mania 4K and 6K player. I didn't play 5K and 7K because playing with my thumb is so hard. :o So, I want to find more 4K and 6K beatmaps (notechart, -red). But in fact, people is very like making 4K and 7K mode than another mode. And in fact too and now, I'm boring play 4K specific maps. :| #siapaYangNanya? So, it's so hard to find 6K specific maps. Find unranked 6K specific maps is so difficult, moreover find ranked 6K specific maps. :v

So..., why Am I still playing osu!mania?
Because only it that userful to played and osu! is rhthym games app that userfriendly in computer--especially my laptop. :)

This' my story, what's your story? :roll:
Cuppp
Mapping tool, able to meet many different people who share same interests
Tristan97
I love how polished the game is. The Performance point system and rankings, while not quite perfect, give a competitive person like myself the opportunity to go head to head with others to motivate myself to improve at a faster rate. The multiplier can be quite thrilling at times, and the beatmaps are often really amazing. I'm finally in the top 1000, and yet, I still know I've got a ways to go. Of course, #rankhardermaps2014 is still a thing, but the thrill of maps like +Danshi give me confidence that we're doing well as a community.

This is probably my favorite thing to do on my laptop, and I love how kind the community here is.

The real question is, what don't you like about mania?
Agka

tbonedavis13 wrote:

the thrill of maps like +Danshi give me confidence that we're doing well as a community.
+Danshi isn't hard

;o
Charles445
I started with o2mania 6 years ago, as I'm from the US and wasn't able to play the real o2jam.
I got okay at that, enough to pass Red Sign, but I ran out of things to do quickly.
I wasn't aware of any other communities other than Stepmania, which was something I wasn't interested in due to its 4K nature and reliance on fast keyboard pounding.

I messed around with standard on osu! until a particular woc2006 showed up with a hack that made me shit bricks.
I was super excited to play more 7K, and rickyboi and DJPop, o2jam mapping veterans, were part of the community already!
Even more experienced people like Entozer and chonicle showed up to assist with early map movement as well!

Veterans from Stepmania checked it out too.
We had the ever hilarious Kommisar stop by, letting us check out some silly x-mod stuff as well as some tips and tricks of charting.
Staiain showed up with what I can only describe as... if you attached a real jackhammer to your fingers. Yeah, like that.

New faces started to show up from communities I had never heard of as well.
Suddenly, ABCD♪ and ideu arrived, two pro LR2IR people who brought the power of (^^)/ to osu!
I was shocked at how good they were, so I had to find out why.
I had heard vague references of a game known as Lunatic Rave 2, but I had NO IDEA that the community there had made some of, if not THE hardest charts known to man.
They're so difficult, but they're also really damn entertaining, like I tried out Pangaea's [air mix] with the 7K modification to remove the DJ scratch column, and my god that's one of the most fun charts I have ever played.
sasakure.UK and air, those two are awesome.
The insane output of original compositions from BMS Of Fighters is truly stunning as well, like wow.

I like osumania because it serves as a meeting ground for all of these communities to show their stuff, as well as being a place for a new community to form.
Tear
^That is one of the most positive posts I've ever seen on this subforum. Such a contrast to what's been going on here lately...
konekokittenzzz
i get to mash buttons and look cool for doing it
MostDakka
Its only mode i can play with video/storyboard without hurting my gamplay.
And i love it cause its ejoyable on every skill level, comparing to std or taiko which were boring when i started.