forum

The only thing I need to know before i can continue to play:

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
freakturbo
Should I try to fc hards songs untill such a thing is super easy, and then move on to insanes, and try to fc those; or get to a decent level in hards and then go to insanes?
Ninonuko
All of my fc was a fluke before I fc this map (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/238698)
I was try to read AR 9, not insane
Maxis
Why not play both Hards and (easy) Insanes until you find what you're playing feels too easy? (whatever you find 'too easy' is your standard and your decision, by the way.)

This is what I did personally. No need to rush to get to the next difficulty level.
Topic Starter
freakturbo

Maxis wrote:

Why not play both Hards and (easy) Insanes until you find what you're playing feels too easy? (whatever you find 'too easy' is your standard and your decision, by the way.)

This is what I did personally. No need to rush to get to the next difficulty level.
Seems legit, although I had a friend who was 40k rank with 2k plays (22k rank now ), and I'm 109k with 4k plays, so I'm like wtf am I doing wrong ''>.>

Thanks for both replies ^^
Ninonuko

freakturbo wrote:

Maxis wrote:

Seems legit, although I had a friend who was 40k rank with 2k plays (22k now ), and I'm 109k with 4k plays, so I'm like wtf am I doing wrong ''>.>

I only play online if I have a map to farm pp or multi when I need a new map
because I'm not at my best when online (nervous)
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/bikko (the lowest playcount top 50 player)
Maxis

freakturbo wrote:

Maxis wrote:

Seems legit, although I had a friend who was 40k rank with 2k plays (22k rank now ), and I'm 109k with 4k plays, so I'm like wtf am I doing wrong ''>.>

Lol, don't worry about playcount, you most likely aren't doing anything wrong. Some people progress faster than others, some people slower than others, that's just how skill works in anything.
Topic Starter
freakturbo
The grind is real I guess, thanks again for replying! Have a nice day.
Vuelo Eluko

freakturbo wrote:

Maxis wrote:

i know this feeling some people are just retarded talented and dont have to work as hard as others to get good
Pettanko

sdrghjkkk wrote:

freakturbo wrote:

I only play online if I have a map to farm pp or multi when I need a new map
because I'm not at my best when online (nervous)
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/bikko (the lowest playcount top 50 player)
implying he's legit lol
Topic Starter
freakturbo

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

freakturbo wrote:

i know this feeling some people are just retarded talented and dont have to work as hard as others to get good
Yeah I was like HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! for the 1st 3 hours after he said that to me...

( The opposite happens in LoL tho, I have less than half his games and I'm gold while he's silver, so it kinda balances it out xD )
xasuma
A: push your limits to get faster.
B: play songs you can get high accuracy to get more accurate.

Do each 50% of the time. And you will improve somewhat evenly.
Now don't compare osu with LoL. here its only you. There you can only control 20% of the outcome of each game. So.. No skill needed
- Milhofo -
I moved to Insanes before I could FC hards and I'm really glad I did. Insanes are a lot of fun, even if you don't do that great, then just keep playing hards and trying to improve by practicing a lot. Just go for insanes, you won't regret it ^^
Bauxe
You should really look for similar threads before posting. This kind of thread gets posted on a weekly basis.

You can either keep playing songs that you have the ability to read and play with ease (the hard songs) or you can push your limits, play songs that you can't easily read or hit the notes accurately (insane songs).

What sounds like the better option for improving...?
timemon

xasuma wrote:

A: push your limits to get faster.
B: play songs you can get high accuracy to get more accurate.

Do each 50% of the time. And you will improve somewhat evenly.
Now don't compare osu with LoL. here its only you. There you can only control 20% of the outcome of each game. So.. No skill needed
LoL is easier to learn and be decent. It's also a team game, you have to work with 4 people to achieve the same goal.
When you lose, it's your fault. because you have 56% chance to win every games.
LoL requires quick decision making, mechanical skill and game knowledge.

They're a completely different game.

I love seeing my points go up, so both pp and lp will do.

Edit : typo
Topic Starter
freakturbo
So I should play both hards and insanes. Got it, thanks!
buny
STOP referring to the name of the difficulty of maps!
Instead, use star difficulty as reference!

Trust me, you'll have a much easier time figuring out how to practice

Also you may wonder why I'm saying this - it's because most beatmap artists named their difficulty relative to their other difficulties, and not the general difficulty in a population aspect. Thus we get a difficulty named "insane" that can vary from 3 stars up to but not limited to 6 stars.

Use the recommended difficulty filter on the website to get results that you should be able to complete at your ranking - making great scores on these scores will gradually raise your pp (DO NOT FOCUS ON RANK, PP IS THE MAIN METRIC FOR SKILL DETERMINATION).

Another alternative is to simply download a ton of beatmaps, and sorting by difficulty in your client. The beauty about this is that you have a larger variety - why? Because you aren't limited by your "suggested difficulty", but you can also manipulate star difficulty with mods i.e. dt, hr, essentially making lower star difficulty maps viable.

Ways to maximise your pp gain:

Full combo! Combo plays a lot in pp gain - if you have a score where you had a (random) break in the middle of the score and still weighed a lot in terms of pp, put in effort to get that extra mile! Don't develop the "I'm better than my rank" mentality. This will also boost your morality as you've got something to show for the effort you put in.

Accuracy. Accuracy is an important aspect of the game; it is a rhythm game afterall, right? Accuracy is also weighed a lot in pp calculation. Never overlook accuracy - get into the habit of focusing on the beat of the song, rather than the approach circles

Difficulty. The most important in the pp calculation. 3 stars too easy? Move on then. Don't waste your time farming 3 stars just because you're gaining a measly 2 pp. Those scores can and will be overtaken by scores in higher difficulty maps - even if it requires more time and effort, it is definitely worth it.
Akari-
ok i've done literally everything in the list of things not to do while improving, so here's what you should do

-play maps near the upper bound of things you can FC
-play maps near the lower bound of things you cannot pass
-playing everything in between is also good
-don't mash/spam keys on streamy maps, this will cause you to have to learn streams all over again and it'll be twice as hard to fix the habit
-turn off mouse acceleration
Ohrami
A rule that I have is that practicing on things with small numbers of sliders and that I can only get 70%-85% accuracy on is the best for improvement, at least if you aren't going for improving at anything specific.
Vuelo Eluko

Kyou-kun wrote:

A rule that I have is that practicing on things with small numbers of sliders and that I can only get 70%-85% accuracy on is the best for improvement, at least if you aren't going for improving at anything specific.
what kind of map would that be for you specifically for examples sake?
Kaeru
It doesn't matter what you play as long as you're pushing yourself. At least one in every two songs you play should be something that you can't pass. Play in multi so that you can still get pp from good plays without needing to worry about failing. If your hands aren't hurting or at least sore after one or two hours of play then you're doing something wrong.
Topic Starter
freakturbo
You guys are awesome, I know exactly what to do now, thanks everyone ^^
Ohrami

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

what kind of map would that be for you specifically for examples sake?
Most ~5.5 star maps edited to AR 7, CS 5, OD 10
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/185761 + DT
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/309074
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/103281 + DT (though I usually get higher than 85%)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/93842 + DT
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/192508 + DT
etc
DWLooney

sdrghjkkk wrote:

All of my fc was a fluke before I fc this map (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/238698)
I was try to read AR 9, not insane
This was the one map I tried reallly hard to fc before I knew how to play. I probably played it 400 times before I gave up, finally fc'ed this week :D