forum

[BETA] Skin Database - All skins in one place.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Marcin
Hi fellow users of this subforum.

As some of you may know, long time ago skins tab in updater (osume.exe) was removed - that is because I started working on new database to get rid of this messy subforum. This project was created so that:

- Users could find the most popular skins easily and make releasing consistent (some skinners include osk, some not).
- Skinners have a lot easier way to update / upload their skin.

While it took me few months to get it to the state in which this can be used - I actually started preparing for beta release since ~1 week ago.

And so, here is the tool which is supposed to make your life easier:

http://skins.ppy.sh/

Since its not having all the functionality planned - it has been released under beta, what does that mean?

- The tool might not work, or may have some bugs - that is to be expected from beta, all issues found should be submitted via github issue tracker. That is the only place where I will check for bugs.
- Some functionality may be missing - there is a lot planned to do - but I'd rather want to know what YOU want to see. If you have cool ideas, don't hesitate posting them in github issue tracker (again, I'll only read requests from there).

Tutorials - how to use this system?

Please refer https://github.com/marcin19962/osu-skin ... first-skin.

For now to log in you can only use google auth (osu! accounts authentication is under way).

All questions can be posted here.

Important: Since google auth is used, skins MIGHT be deleted after switch to osu! accounts, releasing only for people's review.

This might be implemented into game client soon! not sure about specifics yet.
[ Pingu ]
Nice, this'll be really helpful!
Uruoki
I was working on something like this, but you beat me to it.
I already noticed two issues, and will report them in a few moments.

Quick suggestion that would be helpful. It would be nice if version control was implemented.
Topic Starter
Marcin

Uruoki wrote:

I was working on something like this, but you beat me to it.
I already noticed two issues, and will report them in a few moments.

Quick suggestion that would be helpful. It would be nice if version control was implemented.
Version control was actually thing I wanted to do before release - but it would take good amount of time and I got ill, its partially implemented though (tables are modified, needs logic behind them).
piruchan
So this is what you said in this thread. I forgot to kick you orz

Uploading @2x while normal version of element is not present will result in system automatically scaling down your element to normal size.
Does it mean we won't be seeing HD only skin anymore?
Topic Starter
Marcin
no, because it makes osu! client behave weirdly if user uses wrong resolution.
Uruoki
What method does it use to downscale?
Topic Starter
Marcin
Using http://image.intervention.io/api/resize library, not sure what method does it use though.
Ayesha Altugle
wow!
1EN
TY!♥
Garin
awwyiss :D
TouchFluffyTail
Yay. :)
Elzapatoverde
Nice!

EDIT: Is there a way to upload the screenshots (not the thumbnail)? or will that be supported in the future? Also There should be a search bar somewhere, for now theres a few skins, but later searching will be a pain.
Haskorion
New things are always shiny.

Uploading my second skin on there.

Question: Will additional folders with extra stuff be supported eventually in the future?
Topic Starter
Marcin
I didn't intend on doing so - my idea is to allow creating variations of skins with multiple downloads, I just need to cure the illness :roll:

Elzapatoverde wrote:

Nice!

EDIT: Is there a way to upload the screenshots (not the thumbnail)? or will that be supported in the future? Also There should be a search bar somewhere, for now theres a few skins, but later searching will be a pain.
There was supposed to be dynamic generated screenshots (generated from uploaded elements) in place, but it takes good amount of time, expect it in near future (<1,5 week)
Trauter
Question : Can you add skins category ?
Something like :
-Normal
-Simplified
-Pro
Mayby even :
-Anime
-Games
This would be nice to be added in skins database. ^^
deadbeat
btw guys, even though this is BETA, skinning subforum rules still carry over. please only upload your own work :)
Kurokami
Hmm, interesting. I might give this a try after I finish my current project. I don't want to upload unfinished skin after all.
goustgirl1
[google:1337][/color][/color][/color][/google:1337]
query3
are downloads broken?
i get a similar message regardless of the skin i choose.
i tested it in google chrome, mozilla firefox, and internet explorer. all of them show the exact same error.
Topic Starter
Marcin
Fixed.
query3

Marcin wrote:

Fixed.
thank you!
[ Full Moon ]
nice :3
DankOMG

JeNzIiE wrote:

TY!♥
DangerNoodle
What happened to the skins that were previously featured in the updater? They don't seem to be uploaded to the database yet.
Topic Starter
Marcin
These skins were mostly outdated and last updated... at least 3 years ago? I don't think there is need of reuploading them if creators don't do it themselves.
DangerNoodle
Yeah, that's true. I see your point there.

Also a search feature might be nice. It isn't really needed now, but after more skins are uploaded a serch feature would really help finding a skin.
deadbeat
search feature is planned.
Topic Starter
Marcin
Just passing by to say I'm still working on it, but I'm doing huge improvements which will break current skins, also, whole website was moved onto official new osu!'s website, so you will be able to use your accounts when I'm done (expect it until end of this week)
piruchan
Just wondering, how will mix skins, especially the one without permission from the original owners managed? Do you check every single skin and remove them?
OsuMe65

piruchan wrote:

Just wondering, how will mix skins, especially the one without permission from the original owners managed? Do you check every single skin and remove them?
Yes, they do. Insta-snipe (taking down immediately), I bet. Skinning Rules still apply on the database.
lucario709
How can I upload skins???
Topic Starter
Marcin
There is tutorial included in first post.
Kurokami
I'm not sure if this supposed to be like this.

http://puu.sh/aqtiq/874a655bb5.png

Nvm, I posted this on github too.
marumarinuki
Love it! Good job
LitsEmperor
Nice *o*
LikeMukizawa
Thanks! c: ♪ 8-)
ctyjason
good database,love it.
Hope more and more people know this! if the skin can have comment or rating is better><
Discreet
Sweet, this will be so much easier xD
Thanks for the hard work :P
- Marco -
umm...when the translation?
show more