community forum

[Guide] Quickly solve the OGG unrankable issue(ogg into wav)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rizqy
really, this is very useful.
Lach
Do not rename .ogg into .wav. It's not the right way to go about it. In fact, it's painful to fathom the idea that someone would be this desperate. The current .ogg support is legacy, so of course they're going to continue working. You're just not allowed to use the format and rank it.

If you're having problems with keysounded mapset file size consider compressed wav PCM files.
[AyanoTatemaya]

Lach wrote:

If you're having problems with keysounded mapset file size consider compressed wav PCM files.
Please enlighten me more about this~ :)
Topic Starter
LordRaika
yeah, i agree for all of those quote XD

Shinnzan wrote:

really, this is very useful.
Sankyuu ^^b

Lach wrote:

Do not rename .ogg into .wav. It's not the right way to go about it. In fact, it's painful to fathom the idea that someone would be this desperate. The current .ogg support is legacy, so of course they're going to continue working. You're just not allowed to use the format and rank it.

THIS IS what exactly i wnt to know XD , ahaha, thx for confirming this...
well i guess ill have to remove the "Rename and replace" guide... , but even so... it works jst fine imo...
but well, as u said... "The current .ogg support is legacy"
and its not that i am desperate on the size or what thou XD

and yes, perhaps u can help me added the compressed wav PCM files in "Converted and replace" guide...
since in audacity, it seems like i cant configure anything from wav format ( no other given option )
[AyanoTatemaya]
I would just like to add a request about this "compressing thingy". I hope that it could reduce the filesize for a reasonable amount without ruining the quality like having some static noise added, etc.
Lastly, I would like to hear other mappers' thought (esp the BATs) about this.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Usually, using the right converter tools (audio software) , wont cause any noise or something...
(thts one of many reason why i dont recommended online converter X_X )

But keep in mind, ogg mostly cames from their parent, .wav files...
tht makes ogg is already a lossy form of the audio type,

turning them back to wav , WILL have the same quality as the ogg before...,
for the quality i can say , for human's hearing... it has no differences...

but who knows? its like if u converted the compressed file, by repeating this cycle... the quality might drop bit by bit...
wav > ogg > wav > ogg or else
- Yuuto -
Nice thread
HaihRik
Great guide

Sayang gw gak mapping bro
Hoho
Ayachi-
Converted file is way too big can only be fit in marathon map
The second way is a nice one
:)
Nice thread helped a lot
Bobbias

HinagikuKatsura wrote:

I would just like to add a request about this "compressing thingy". I hope that it could reduce the filesize for a reasonable amount without ruining the quality like having some static noise added, etc.
Lastly, I would like to hear other mappers' thought (esp the BATs) about this.
.wav does not describe a specific format of storing audio information. a .wav file can actually contain mp3 encoded music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

.wav files are actually a type of container format called RIFF. It's similar to .avi files, or .mkv files. In .mkv or .avi files, the video could be encoded in a number of different formats (xvid, h.264, etc.). In .wav files, there are many options for how to store the sound too. Unfortunately, storing mp3 audio inside a .wav file is just as bad as storing it in a .mp3 file, so that's not helpful, and the other common formats are not helpful either.

Currently the best options are to either convert every sample to .mp3 files and deal with the delay, or convert them to standard uncompressed .wav files and hope that the uncompressed .wav files aren't too big.
Sorarei

Bobbias wrote:

.wav does not describe a specific format of storing audio information. a .wav file can actually contain mp3 encoded music.
Im trying to convert uncompressed wav to wav (192kbps mp3) it's make delay and i really don't recommend.

usually wav will formatted 44.1kHz 16bit stereo, convert it to 44.1kHz 8bit stereo will reduce size but it make little worst quality
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Thanks guys ^^/

Bobbias wrote:

.wav files are actually a type of container format called RIFF. It's similar to .avi files, or .mkv files. In .mkv or .avi files, the video could be encoded in a number of different formats (xvid, h.264, etc.). In .wav files, there are many options for how to store the sound too. Unfortunately, storing mp3 audio inside a .wav file is just as bad as storing it in a .mp3 file, so that's not helpful, and the other common formats are not helpful either.

Currently the best options are to either convert every sample to .mp3 files and deal with the delay, or convert them to standard uncompressed .wav files and hope that the uncompressed .wav files aren't too big.

Reikosaka wrote:

Im trying to convert uncompressed wav to wav (192kbps mp3) it's make delay and i really don't recommend.

usually wav will formatted 44.1kHz 16bit stereo, convert it to 44.1kHz 8bit stereo will reduce size but it make little worst quality
Yup it is...
also in additional... if we convert compressed audio file into wav , NO MATTER WHAT, its still compressed while the wav is big because the wav file is consider as uncompressed file... SO, compressing the wav again will really reduce the quality....
the wav will always have huge file size no matter what, but yeah we can reduce the kHz and bit rate ,
the wav file size will be greatly reduced, in return of the quality... which is really really bad , imo....

i think i'll update this guide on how to reduce wav file size, ( will be helpful for mapper that use lots of hitsound because of size limit rule )
anyone can help me on this one :D i'll edit my post and guide as well as the credit goes for that person.

So feel free if anyone want to add another guide
either by how to convert ogg to wav in better way or a guide to reduce or compressed wav file
even it reduced the wav quality a bit but reduced the size greatly...

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you :)
Ryu Sei
Use FormatFactory to convert OGG to WAV files quickly. Works 24/7
> Open FF
> Choose Audio on conversion selection, then choose WAV
> Output all of the converts to source folder
> Drag and drop OGG files to file list
> Click OK, then start convert
Lach

Ryu Sei wrote:

Use FormatFactory to convert OGG to WAV files quickly. Works 24/7
> Open FF
> Choose Audio on conversion selection, then choose WAV
> Output all of the converts to source folder
> Drag and drop OGG files to file list
> Click OK, then start convert
Getting the samples into the format is not the issue here. It's the fact that you're limited to 24mb for beatmap submissions.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Okay before i try this FormatFactory....

i know it WILL does it job by converting ogg to wav....
the problem is, how about THE SIZE???
Ryu Sei
Blame size. IDC about that.
My steps... yah, it's just for half-keysounded map that still have some MP3 and small amount of samples.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
wwell XD thanks but i think wav is still huge....

multiple times LARGER than ogg.... its natural...
for some mapper that use only 1-15 hitsound, its not a big deal...

but for ME?? that use 40-90hitsound or more, this is a big problem for me....