forum

Blinking...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley
Lately, my eyes have been extremely sensitive, causing my osu! play to drop, expectedly.. But what do you guys do when you need to blink in the middle of a song? I mean, with the songs I play blinking fucks your whole play up and you have to usually restart, but I try blinking in long sliders or spinners :s
buny
...I blink

I mean, to me blinking doesn't affect my playing as long as I'm not manually blinking
Insyni
Honestly... Drinking more water, eye drops, and sleep.
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley

DustyFfy wrote:

Sleep's probably the main problem. I drink plenty of fluids and use eye drops daily.. Insomnia doesn't help it either. You're right.
Pettanko
the fuck you really need advice on how to blink?

go blink one eye at a time like this guy ;) or some shit if normal blinking messes up your play
ninjastarr
if you can comfortably tilt your head backwards a bit while playing (lean head back on headrest or something), your eyes are naturally a bit further closed if you're looking 'down' from your head's natural angle; thus requiring you to blink a little less, since your eyes dry out a little slower via less surface area.

note that when using the computer, you naturally blink a lot less in order to keep focus - even more so on osu - so of course, your eyes will dry out.
Thatgooey

Evolvation wrote:

DustyFfy wrote:

Sleep's probably the main problem. I drink plenty of fluids and use eye drops daily.. Insomnia doesn't help it either. You're right.
Don't use eye drops regularly unless prescribed by your doctor or eye care professional. Frequent use causes your body to naturally produce less tears.If you put drops in your eyes every time you sit down and look at a computer screen, your body is going to eventually assume that means not to produce it's own lubrication and hydration. Pavlov's eye drops mate. This happens all over your body with moisturizing products. The more your use them, the more your rely on them. If something else does the body's job for it, it will stop doing it. It's an efficiency machine. Unless, like I said, a healthcare professional tells you that you should be taking them.

Just keep drinking water, don't chug energy drinks. Drink a cup of coffee instead. Take more frequent breaks. Look away from your screen for a minute or two every once in awhile. Be smart.
nooblet

Evolvation wrote:

the songs I play blinking fucks your whole play up and you have to usually restart
I was expecting some crazy hard stuff but ... k

The more you think about it, the worse the problem will get. Stop thinking about blinking, think more about what you're actually doing. Don't squeeze your eyes like crazy when you blink, just let them do their own stuff.
RaneFire
If blinking is messing up your play, you are playing stuff that's too fast/hard for you to adjust to any human error that you may cause. While this is a good thing to do in a sense training wise, since it trains focus, don't think of it as your "normal" level of reading skill. You're pushing yourself slightly, in a sense.

I used to have this problem playing ar10, but now I can pretty much blink whenever I want and still read fine. I suppose this can apply to low AR's too, or anything that gives you trouble reading.
Kaeru
Blinking only causes a problem when you are conscious about it, just like breathing. You just need to learn to be focused and relaxed at the same time. You don't want to to be staring at the screen with your eyes wide open. It doesn't really matter what difficulty you're playing, blinking should not mess up your game. You need to just learn to relax more.
RaneFire
Something interesting. The notes at the end are insightful too.

http://www.thecollapsedwavefunction.com/2012/12/researchers-bring-new-focus-to-science.html

If blinking does reset our focus, this places even more importance on reading ahead and having already planned what to do during that instance of blinking.
Vuelo Eluko

Kaeru wrote:

Blinking only causes a problem when you are conscious about it, just like breathing. You just need to learn to be focused and relaxed at the same time. You don't want to to be staring at the screen with your eyes wide open. It doesn't really matter what difficulty you're playing, blinking should not mess up your game. You need to just learn to relax more.
pretty much.
if blinking is messing you up at a certain AR its because you arent comfortable with it yet.
Monstrata
Boil a pot of water on your table when you play and position your head slightly over the pot. The steam will provide moisture for your eyes so you don't feel the need to blink. You're welcome~
B1rd
play wearing swimming goggles, they pretty much stop you needing to blink. you can keep your eyes open for like 2 minutes.
buny
What are some other really small things we can blame for our lack of skill?

I'd say breathing. Exhaling and inhaling causes a shift of momentum in my arms causing me to sometimes miss jumps.
Arcanine
Just blink if you have to blink LOL.
K E N N
Drink plenty of water, it keeps your eyes from getting dry and irritating. Also, if you really want to blink, blink when there is an easy part of the beatmap you're playing on, or you can blink during the break time, if there is any.
vsprite
turn the brightness of your computer down. This helped alot for me
Varetyr

buny wrote:

What are some other really small things we can blame for our lack of skill?

I'd say breathing. Exhaling and inhaling causes a shift of momentum in my arms causing me to sometimes miss jumps.
Actually I know quite a few people who have troubles with blinking, and the only "solution" most of them found is to play like him. :/
timemon
Play more.
Kawatta
I love how we go beyond the game itself to try and play better, i call it: "Beyond the meta-game".

examples: blinking, way to hold the pen etc.

Maybe it all comes down to placebo. Like how i think i play better with different heights in my chair, how long my keyboard and tablet is from me and how far away my screen is.

It's scary man~
Kac_45
Well I resolved this issue by shoving my face into a bowl of water and learning to open my eyes underwater if anyone asked I'd just tell them that I'm improving my osu skills.

Only thing is I still have this problem :(
NeKroMan4ik
Nice necropost, give me shovel
show more