forum

Summer 2014 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mara
shit taste part 2: the return of shit taste

Hanayamata is not going to be healthy for my poor heart.
Jinsei is now my weekly advice simulator.
Love Stage!! punches at the previous shows I've watched this season; this is how you make #finnish: the anime, folks!
Ao Haru Ride is mysterious.
Himegoto gets a green by default - because a trap.
Majimoji Rurumo is doing some magic and it ain't gonna explain shit.
Momo Kyun Sword is a mix of 2x2=Shinobuden and Senran Kagura.
Tokyo ESP has a confusing title. What do you mean this anime does not have ESP hackers in Tokyo?
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? has a bear. Good stuff.
Sabagebu! looks cool, just hoping that it won't be turned into P2W trash. Oh wait, it is.

isjfsidfasj

EDIT: shit, forgot

The makers of Zankyou no Terror are going to be hunted by US military for sure.
TheNekoNextDoor
Akame ga Kill! - I didn't see all of the first episode because I was going out somewhere, but I really enjoyed what I did see. It's pretty good.
Glasslip - I like the art style, but it's not one of those plots that I'd stick around for, really. Neutral for the art style.
Navizel
Shin Strange+ - Still horrible.

Persona 4 Golden: The Animation - Never been this disappointed. It's so rushed and the animation is bad.

Psycho-Pass New Edit Version - Either I don't remember what happened in the original version or there's still no "new footage" in this series. Anyway, I'm still in.

Tokyo ESP - Solid and intense action. Definitely what I'm looking for an action-themed series. Also, Yousei Teikoku.
TakuMii
Tokyo ESP
ALL OF THE ACTION
ALL OF THE GA-REI ZERO CAMEOS
OMG SO HYPED
blissfulyoshi
Sailor Moon: Crystal: I know I watched this when I was really young, but I don't really feel any nostalgia with this outdated animation style and mixing of decent sprites on undetailed backgrounds. Throwing in CG into this just creates a larger mess. Adding it on annoying usagi-chan and the deal is sealed.

Zankyou no Terror: Probably one of the best animated shows of the season, but also the show that made me give one of the weakest responses. I can't identify or care about the male characters or the bullied female character. They just exist in either doing some terrorism for an unknown reason or just standard bullying without upplaying the drama much.Only reason I can give a blue is because of the animation.
piruchan
The last one

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance Lots of waifu A harem. The guy has a super strong power type. Well, at least the guy knows that he has the power, unlike most similar anime *cough* DxD *cough*. That aside, I like the art. The color is not over saturated and background people doesn't look ugly. The plot is quite common, but I think some twist might happen. The amount of cliche harem scene is high, but I'm fine with that. The art alone is enough reason for me to continue this.

To sum it up, I think there are lots of promising title this season, let's just hope they don't turn out to be a disappointment.
Rio-
Tokyo ESP - So much action and blood in the first episode, also Ga-Rei Zero cameo and Yousei Teikoku... Best-Action Anime in this season so far imo (also another Manga for me to read)
blissfulyoshi
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance: As much as I love the novels, the animation for this wasn't that great. However, they were true to the LN, so all the jokes and explanations were still there. Given DxD's cast, I expect both of these trends to continue, so give me a bit to sort my feelings.
Navizel
Zankyou no Terror - Not really a fan of Anotheresque art syle but it has the plot and the action scenes which made it appealing.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance - No. It reeks of genericness as what you'd expect from a light novel based anime. Basically, it's your seasonal harem shit show.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha? - I'm getting more and more allergic to these kinds of shows as time passes by. Didn't really make me laugh. Instead, it gave me headache because I saw the second half as disaster.
Liiraye

Mogsworth wrote:

Sword Art Online II - ahahahahano. This show basically opens up with nothing but justification for getting Kirito to play another MMO. The pacing drags as it goes into an overly long build in its intro, featuring a villain whose name is so nonthreatening that it's hilarious (Death Gun, really?), followed up by a date between Kirito and Asuna that just basically shouts "DON'T YOU JUST WANNA BE THIS COUPLE THEY'RE SO HAPPY AND PERFECT AND SHE JUST WANTS TO BE WITH HIM, THAT'S HER ONLY FUTURE PLAN". Ugh. Then he basically gets asked to play another MMO as a detective, and it's because he's apparently just so awesome at MMOs that he's their go-to guy blah blah blah blah. We all knew this was escapist, power fantasy garbage from the beginning and this show's setup episode serves to highlight that even more.

STFU SAO is tHe bEst aNeme WORLD! You jUSt haven't Zeen tHe vN-s yeT!

jokes aside, I'm still holding my breath until it's finished. They light pull it off but not if it continues this way.

I'll make à proper summary later today
blissfulyoshi
Momo Kyun Sword: I sometimes wonder what it is like to watch one of the lowest budget fanservice show of the season, and I'll just say that it is awful. It is not funny, the plot sucks, the battles are boring, and the only thing worth noting are the seiyuus, which can't save it.
AutoMedic
Alright, summing up the shows. It dissapointed me. Yes, I know Akagame ga Kill, Zankyou and Tokyo we're all great solid shows but the rest failed to amused me. Jinsei for the most part. Glasslip is not that bad and I wont even bother talking about Free (sorry Mogsworth). Well, different people have different tastes so dont sue me
Liiraye

Sonatora wrote:

Alright, summing up the shows. It dissapointed me. Yes, I know Akagame ga Kill, Zankyou and Tokyo we're all great solid shows but the rest failed to amused me. Jinsei for the most part. Glasslip is not that bad and I wont even bother talking about Free (sorry Mogsworth). Well, different people have different tastes so dont sue me

Dude free is one of the best shows this season. The story is really good and the characters are interesting. I don't see how it can be regarded as bad other than if you stopped watching it the first episodes because of the manservice, which basically stoppad after that part. So why exactly don't you like it if I may ask? I'm just curious.
Synxphia
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal:SAILOR MOON ;A; WAI U NO STAY AT CHILHOOD MEMORY ;A;
I LAHV YOU BUT I RLY DON WANNA A NEW SAILOR MOON ;A;

Jinsei :It SUCKS. It literally copied all of the concept of GJ-Bu :| The Pres, Member are all same alike as GJ-Bu.
AutoMedic
Jinsei- I expected big. I FIRETRUCKING EXPECTED BIG. And you give me this anime rip-off of an another anime that I can't remember the name. Jesus, this one blasted my bullets of dissapointment
blissfulyoshi
Nobunaga Concerto: Besides the ugly CG sprites, this show had some solid art with great transitions between screens, but they can't save it from its boringness and lack of humor.

Also changes for shows from before:
Love Stage: 2nd episode was boring humor wise and the low animation budget could really be felt.
Navizel

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Love Stage: 2nd episode was boring humor wise and the low animation budget could really be felt.
^this, sadly. Also, dropped Hanayamata, Argevollen, Ao Haru Ride, Sailor Moon, and Rail Wars.

Nobunaga Concerto - Your typical mediocre Nobunaga-themed show. Horrible CG.

Majimoji Rurumo - Just another perverted show. Nothing special at all.

Fran<3cesca - What the heck was that.
TheNekoNextDoor
Tokyo ESP - Little late on this one, but... what a gripping first episode! So much action! The animation is brilliant - can't wait to see where this'll go.
[-Tsubomi-]
Sword Art Online II (Gun Gale Online) Meh , it's not the best but it's alright , the plot so far and like the whole storyline is about the same except it takes place in a different game , I'd continue watching it to see what happens but at the moment I'd call it slow . The only thing that interest's me is the new character's personalities and such .

Black Butler: Book of Circus The first episode was just a recap if the first episode of Season 1 but as it continues along it gets more into the storyline and it's just like the manga ! *0* SQUEAL ~ I've been waiting for this to come out for SO damn long , i can't wait for the next episode this Saturday! < 3
Logograph
From less enjoyment to more enjoyment:
Nobunaga Concert - My Lebanese grandfather once had a butter knife. A fine piece of art, it was: decorated with the best silver and gold. Every morning, without fail, he would sit down in his balcony, and eat some buttered pita bread, with some shakshouka and fresh jam. I'm sure buttering or jamming pita is not a particularly orthodox thing to do, but he insisted on using that one butter knife. 2010 eventually arrived, and he perished at 89 years old. My father inherited that one butter knife, but it was way too dull to even cleave through jam. It was less dull than Nobunaga Concert.

I also want to apologize to Polygon Pictures for thinking their Sidonia CGI was terrible, for I had not seen this abomination. Can we make up? Maybe a nice dinner. Some champagne would be nice. I would even let you drop Sidonia's frame rate to 6 FPS! Just please, don't make me look at this again.

Magimoji Rurumo - Generic ecchi pervy male lead meets generic dull ecchi female lead. Hijinx ensue. As a general rule, I indulge in these kind of works as a guilty pleasure because I am secretly 12 years old. This was so dull it didn't even pull the "pervy smut hue hue hue" trigger in my brain.

ncidentally, the manga doesn't appear to be translated in its entirety, which is fine because the art was eye-searingly godawful and it was even more dull and generic.

Fran<3cesca - What. The. Serious. Fuck.

Sword Art Online II: I didn't care much for the first SAO. It didn't think it was bad, it was okay. Characters were, for the most part, somewhat dull. This one feels like a lazy rehash of the first one. It'd probably branch out and do its own thing but so far it hasn't. I'm willing to give this a couple more episodes and see what it does.

Free: There is a plot!? Anyway, it's sports anime with plenty of mundane drama, a genre I am not fond of. The manservice, something I'm very fond of, has made it much more tolerable and I'll probably keep watching mainly because half naked bishounen swimming.

Tokyo Ghoul: Yes! A genuinely tense, enjoyably gory, delightfully disturbing, and very well animated. I had no idea what to expect, really, but it managed to actually keep me engaged in the very first scene. This anime is made of win and awesome, and is the first quality series I saw Summer 2014.

Zankyou no Terror: Shinichiro Watanabe directing, Yoko Kanno composing. I had extremely high expectations for this anime, and it met them and then some more. The characters are somehow interesting and engaging despite (or maybe because) not much has been revealed about them. The plot is so far, pretty interesting and tense. The animation is beautiful. Their faces are so expressive. Damn, this anime is so much joy.

So, congrats, Watanabe! You have another masterpiece on your hands.

(╯◕_◕)╯ALL HAIL BASED WATANABE╰(◕_◕╰)
MoeMoeOrRiot
Tokyo Ghoul and Zhankyo No Terror are the best so far this season
KazmiSain

MoeMoeOrRiot wrote:

Tokyo Ghoul and Zhankyo No Terror are the best so far this season
1+
Synchrostar
SAO II - Started off pretty decent, will have to wait what future eps brings if they're going to animate Mother's Rosario they'd better do it well, one of the best arcs imo

Rail Wars - Trains. Sakurai. Trains. Sakurai ass. Damn

Illya 2wei - More Illya, more yuri. It's actually pretty good.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance - Waited three weeks for Est. Worth the wait. Other than that looks like your generic harem with 3 tsunderes and 2 (3? we'll just keep it at 3) other better girls.

Jinsei - Looks interesting enough, I'm behind on this though.
Setsuen
Sword Art online II-It was kind of neutral......UNTIL Kirito FINALLY got into GGO. Took them long enough.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun-OMG yes. Probably one of the best RomCom I seen.
Rail Wars-Was good, but lost interest as episodes went on z.z It is STILL kind of good.
Zankyou no terror-It is good but it just doesn't interest me
Toyko ESP-Same reason as ^ but prob also bc I stopped at ep2 and haven't caught up.
Akame Ga kill-Maintained my interest in it even after I already read the manga ;3
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal-Not even past the first 10min tbh. Dropped.