forum

Summer 2014 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Navizel
Ao Haru Ride - That looked kind of rushed. Anyway, the first episode showed a lot of potential this show can give. It has amazing art style, interesting characters and plot that can keep viewers from watching it.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Silly and hopeless characters that could branch into good romance but it feels like the show itself isn't sure where it wants to go. Either go bad or go good. We'll see.

Himegoto - Just no. Unfunny short about a trap.
Kuria

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Kuria wrote:

muh taste :P
Please use the colour code if you wish to be added into the chart
ah, didn't see the OP when writing this, sorry >_<
guess I'll redo the list then, with some changes

Akame ga Kill! - the character design is meh but the rest are cool
Aldnoah.Zero - still gundam wannabe on my eyes, other than the character design whch seems weak everything looks good especially the ost (based sawano)
Bakumatsu Rock - i'm rather watch utapri instead lol
Barakamon - AOTS candidate
DRAMAtical Murder - not interested
Fuutsu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita - not watched it yet
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - AOTS candidate
Glasslip - meh, more like Chickenlip feat. Tsumugu and 8man but with the lower budget to me, maybe my opinion will be changed if david can find the way there LOL
PuriPara - not watched it yet
RAIL WARS! - not watched it yet, seems fun
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen - meh
Shounen Hollywood - not interested
Jinsei - not watched it yet, seems good
Sword Art Online II - I dunno what to say for this but I'll keep watching
Tokyo Ghoul - Looks great, not really a fan with an edgy genre though
Free! Eternal Summer - hope kyoani can find the way again LOL
Hanayamata - love the oriental theme, with DANCING GIRLS
Ao Haru Ride - not watched it yet, seems like good
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal - not interested, better read the manga instead

practically this, I still not watched himegoto yet but will do when it reached 5 episodes since the duration is short ;)
blissfulyoshi
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: A very fun shoujo romcom. Art is not the best, but it is gag series. To be honest, the jokes were probably good enough that I really don't care where this series goes.
Mogsy
After a rewatch, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is delightful enough to warrant a green.

HaNaYaMaTa - This show is filled to the brim with bloom (maybe not NGNL levels of bloom, but still). The high, slightly overwhelming art quality is a detriment to the animation, but this show still looks distinctive and has some beautiful scenes. The show itself is kinda sappy but it's genuine. Kinda funny at points, but if they repeat the same joke over and over again it'll get real tedious. We'll see how it goes.
blissfulyoshi
Re Hamatora: I have no idea why I decided to watch this since I only watched 1 ep of first season, but it does seem a lot better than s1. However with that said, the series has a really sense of awkward jokes that either playing when the music, not funny, was too predictable, or something along those lines. In short, the show made me feel incredibly awkward as a viewer, not knowing how I should respond to any scene in the show.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Silver Link please stop trying to badly imitate scenes from other shows (the pan from the water to the bridge from fate/zero). Besides that though, great episode filled with Silver Link's great animation style and lots of yuri joke. However, because the manga they worked with wasn't that long, they really extended the episode a lot, making it a lot slower paced than it should have been (that and miyu didn't actually kiss Illya). Oh well, fans like me probably won't mind too much.
Navizel
Re:Hamatora - Hamatora being its usual self -- random and silly. I'm still in though I won't expect any interesting.

Love Stage! - I hate to say this but it's actually decent. Some parts were putting me off like the facial art but the story seems promising. I guess the fact that they don't look like the people from otome games whose designs are absurd for the male viewers helped.

Sabagebu! - Fun fun fun. It might not have the best art and the best jokes but it made me laugh a number of times and that's what's important. (I really shouldn't trust MAL's rating. so underrated)

Momo Kyun Sword - Waste of time. Horrible plot and "plot".

DRAMAtical Murder - The characters looks uneasy to each other. So lackluster.
blissfulyoshi
Jinsei: Besides the GJ-bu cameo in the beginning, the show plays out more like a slightly slowed paced Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku. All the jokes are very random and just randomly bouncing off each other, so it is funny at times when the jokes click. However, since it is slower paced, you have fewer jokes, and consequently, fewer laughs. Adding on the excessive amount of text on the screen (including text about killing the cuckcoo, even when it sings), I want to try another ep before saying something.
Kyonko Hizara
Will be updating the list momentarily after watching Illya 2wei! EDIT: woop woop updated

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Very Fate! The animation was beautiful, just as last season, and this is one of the few times I'll be caught watching something 'kawaii'. I'm glad to see the new season off to a good start since I was a bit sad that the first was a short season. The pacing wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. I think the action scene could have been longer, but that's just me. As a fan of prisma Illya and the whole Fate series, I might be feeling more positive on this than a first time watcher would.
Mogsy
Love Stage!! - This is cute and we'll see where it goes. So far, it's a romance that isn't heavily rapey or reliant on the seme/uke personality types, and it has its moments of genuine hilarity and cuteness. Main character is pretty memorable and this goes down easily and entertainingly. Just worried about the standard BL progression here, but I'm holding onto it. This episode was cute.

Akame ga KILL! - Holy tonal backlash and unbalanced writing/execution, Batman! This was a mess. Juxtapose comedy scenes from any silly shonen and add in some grotesque imagery and scenes without any real notice and sure, it leaves an impact. But what is the fucking point if we actually don't care about the blank slate protagonist? Or his friends that he left home with? Make me care via on-screen action, not just dialogue saying "oh this is why a situation is horrible." It's just not conducive to a good screenplay/visual project. Past the shock value, there's not much here I care about. Dark does not equal good.
blissfulyoshi
Love Stage!!: Yume no Tobira zutto sagashitsudzuketa.... Besides of reminding me of Love Live all day, I have to agree with Navizel that this was actually quite decent with a lot of jokes that work with a general audience. Obviously the blatant BL is a bit weird for me, but I can live with it.

Himegoto: I have a bad feeling about giving a series about a trap, a 2nd episode, but random funny stuff seems to attract me for some reason....
Rio-
Sword Art Online II - I don't hate the Anime, I hate It's Fandom to be Honest... and not as bad as I expected before

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga (Locodol) Yattemita - doesn't really impressed me much in the first episode, but the comedy is good. Also the Story looks promising too...

Himegoto! - 4 Minutes seriously?! Not really impressed me much in the 1st Episode, but It's pretty hillarious in the whole episode...

I'll watch more like Aldnoah.Zero & Akame ga Kill later
piruchan
Decided to try some shows because I'm bored

Hanayamata The art is really bright and colorful, which might be a turn off for some people. I'm not really into series like this, but this one managed to get my attention. I don't expect much at the plot development, it's quite common and I can already see the next 2 or 3 episodes given there are no major plot twist. Honestly, I don't even know why I give this show a green. But something inside me just screaming that I must follow this.

Jinsei It doesn't seem like a serious slice of life, but I have fun watching the first episode. Need to watch some more before I can decide anything. Somehow I'm feeling K-On! vibe from this one, might turn out as a good side watch.

Himegoto That was short. Nothing impressive so far, but I'll give the next episode a try. If it manages to deliver what the manga has, it could be a good short series.
blissfulyoshi
Ao Haru Ride: A rather generic shoujo about a girl who made bad decisions in life with a rather blunt male lead. I personally like the male being so up front, but the show is not really enthralling or funny.
TakuMii
Jumping back into anime after a somewhat long hiatus:

Ao Haru Ride I think this is the first shoujo I've ever watched, and this sort of thing might just be my cup of tea. I want to see where this goes.

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita. The comedy and the music was meh and the whole second half of the episode was a mess. I might stick around for a few episodes to see if it gets any better though.
EDIT: After the second episode, the characters are starting to grow on me :o changing it from blue to green

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Was pretty fun. Might be the romcom of the season.

Glasslip Typical P.A. Works slice-of-life (with a hint of drama/foreshadowed romance). And I love it. Touko = best girl

Himegoto I...dunno how to feel about this. I might stick around, since the episodes are short and the plot is silly.

Rail Wars! I like trains as much as the next guy, but the amount of unnecessary fanservice was a huuuuuuge turn-off for me.

Sabagebu! This anime is great fun, and reminds a lot of why I enjoyed stuff like Girls und Panzer and Upotte!!. :P

Sword Art Online II I might've overhyped this. The first episode wasn't really anything special. needs more Asuna

YayMii wrote:

Tokyo ESP
ALL OF THE ACTION
ALL OF THE GA-REI ZERO CAMEOS
OMG SO HYPED
Kyonko Hizara
Sengoku Basara: Judge End: I like Basara. Also the opening theme was amazing.
blissfulyoshi
Kuroshitsuji - Book of Circus: A fairly plain and predictable introduction episode. Add on the fact that for every nicely animated scene, there are like 4 more not so well animated scenes. It really seems like a show just for fans of the series.

Ai-Mai-Mi: Mousou Catastrophe:
A pretty boring 4-minute short with that is mostly op and ed

Shin Strange+ Yet another 4 min short that streams not so funny slapstick humor.

Persona 4 - The Golden Animation: Is this the year where we remake everything with bad CG? That and I'm not really interested in watching P4 again, esp if the only major change is bad CG.
Kyonko Hizara
Persona 4 Golden: The Animation: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE ONLY REDEEMABLE THING WAS THE OPENING. I love Persona so this makes me extremely disappointed. I really think the anime is more for people that have already seen the P4 Animation, but this is unacceptable. The animation is horrible and anything not in the main focus is even worse.
claudio rolna
I don't know how to use the colour thingy so I will do it just like these
Aldnoah.Zero-When the bomb was launching my jaw was dropped hope it will be good
Barakamon-Make me laugh so much,good anime
Rail Wars-All good ZAQ do rap,cool the only thing I hate about is the fanservice wow...
SAOII-Just same like season 1 but instead he a detective and in other MMO
Jinsei-was so good!!!!!hm..lack of romance though,which will probably will be added
Momo Kyun Sword-so much fanservice ._.
Hanamayata-decent anime I like this genre,like some sort of dancing,meh whatever I like it
Space Dandy S2-never disappointed me
Bakumatsu Rock-About a stripper who love playing rock jk I think female would love this one..
Free Eternal Summer-female would love this one
Tokyo Ghoul-Woaahhh
Think that's it :D
DarkerStyle
Free! Eternal Summer

Simply awesome.

Sword Art Online II

Not sure what to expect, it has received alot of negativity, but i will still hope for the best!

Akagame no kill

Seemed like a good anime, characters were interesting and the first episode was enough dramatic to watch it till the end!

Re:_Hamatora

After watching the first season, i was really hoping for another one, and i got it! it's awesome in various aspects.

I know, alot of green but im a positive person ! :3, (and a very bad critic)
Kyonko Hizara

claudio rolna wrote:

I don't know how to use the colour thingy so I will do it just like these
Aldnoah.Zero(Green)-When the bomb was launching my jaw was dropped hope it will be good
Barakamon(Green)-Make me laugh so much,good anime
Rail Wars(Blue)-All good ZAQ do rap,cool the only thing I hate about is the fanservice wow...
SAOII(Blue)-Just same like season 1 but instead he a detective and in other MMO
Jinsei(Green)-was so good!!!!!hm..lack of romance though,which will probably will be added
Momo Kyun Sword(red)-so much fanservice ._.
Hanamayata(Blue)-decent anime I like this genre,like some sort of dancing,meh whatever I like it
Space Dandy S2(Green)-never disappointed me
Bakumatsu Rock(Red)-About a stripper who love playing rock jk I think female would love this one..
Free Eternal Summer(red)-female would love this one
Tokyo Ghoul(Green)-Woaahhh
Think that's it :D
For future reference, click the colour you want to use and then type in between the code, it should already place you in between them.
claudio rolna
Tokyo ESP - The first ep has so much action and good storyline they don't follow the storyline from the manga but still okay
Defensive Force 4 and Kagura,Yomi from Ga Rei Zero is there too
xD,i recommend you guys watching this!
Rio-
Aldnoah.Zero - I thought I won't watch this Anime because of it's Mecha Genre, but on the second thought... It turns out to be good and I'll be sure to watch the next episode and so on

Akame ga Kill - The Fight scenes, Animation & Characters are too good to describe, Especially when this comes from a Manga. Looking forward to this (and perhaps will read the Manga aswell).
piruchan
One more show and I'm done for the summer.

Zankyou no Terror I can just give this a green and start fangirling about nine, but I won't. Everything seems to be in place (and nine is so cool), but there are no hints of what the main plot is, which why I give this a blue. I can't tell what this is about based on the first episode alone. But that aside, I have fun watching it. The thrill and the anticipation is there, so I'll follow this.

Tokyo ESP What did I just watch? I've read the manga and expect this to come out nice and solid, but why do the anime have to start from there? I've read on other sites that people get confused because the first episode doesn't match the synopsis, and it really does. I'm just hoping the second episode serves as an explanation.
Navizel
Hanayamata - Cute girls doing cute things in a cute way. Might be a good slice of life or a bad one. Still in for the meantime.

Jinsei - Everything is cringeworthy. Eyesore anime.
TheNekoNextDoor
Zankyou no Terror - Different to what I usually watch, and the first episode is pretty nice. The animation style is quite nice... loving the eyes! The storyline seems pretty solid. I'm looking forward to seeing where this anime will go. Also, the ED theme is amazing.
blissfulyoshi
Tokyo ESP: Following the success of Ga-rei zero, they decided to follow the tradition, first ep being the 2nd to 3rd last ep, using Yousei Teikoku for the ed (where is Saten's map for it), and even pulling Ga-rei cameos (though if Yomi or Kagura were to fight, they could probably defeat the entire tokyo esp cast). Besides that a great first episode, with lots of decent action, quite a bit of gore, and the tension and atmosphere that the series wants to portray.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?:
Once the first half of the episode ended, they created one amazing fast paced slap stick comedies. Combine with silver link's art (nowhere as close as illya sadly), this is probably one of the best comedies of the season so far.

Yama no Susume 2: A longer and better animated version of the first season, simple, cute, and teaches a bit about mountaineering. Can't complain about that.
Mogsy
Zankyou no Terror - Giving this a green because of the impeccable execution. The show needs to get its full plot bearing straightened out, but the basic execution of this first episode is gorgeous, brisk, and compelling. It's what I feel like a pilot for this type of show should be, and why it's going to remain on my watch list for the entire season.

Yama no Susume 2 - Cute enough, I guess. Felt as though it dragged out a bit toward the middle of the episode, but it's a weekly diversion.
claudio rolna
Aldonah Zero ep 2 - Good,when the mecha is chasing them I was like DAMN,that moment,and when the mc friend died his fas was just blur,what an anti-hero he was cant wait for next ep!
Barakamon ep 2 - Good!good comedy,and the ending was a shock
GGO - Pretty good,sinon was in there,kirito is still in ALO though
Mara
shit taste part 2: the return of shit taste

Hanayamata is not going to be healthy for my poor heart.
Jinsei is now my weekly advice simulator.
Love Stage!! punches at the previous shows I've watched this season; this is how you make #finnish: the anime, folks!
Ao Haru Ride is mysterious.
Himegoto gets a green by default - because a trap.
Majimoji Rurumo is doing some magic and it ain't gonna explain shit.
Momo Kyun Sword is a mix of 2x2=Shinobuden and Senran Kagura.
Tokyo ESP has a confusing title. What do you mean this anime does not have ESP hackers in Tokyo?
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? has a bear. Good stuff.
Sabagebu! looks cool, just hoping that it won't be turned into P2W trash. Oh wait, it is.

isjfsidfasj

EDIT: shit, forgot

The makers of Zankyou no Terror are going to be hunted by US military for sure.
TheNekoNextDoor
Akame ga Kill! - I didn't see all of the first episode because I was going out somewhere, but I really enjoyed what I did see. It's pretty good.
Glasslip - I like the art style, but it's not one of those plots that I'd stick around for, really. Neutral for the art style.
Navizel
Shin Strange+ - Still horrible.

Persona 4 Golden: The Animation - Never been this disappointed. It's so rushed and the animation is bad.

Psycho-Pass New Edit Version - Either I don't remember what happened in the original version or there's still no "new footage" in this series. Anyway, I'm still in.

Tokyo ESP - Solid and intense action. Definitely what I'm looking for an action-themed series. Also, Yousei Teikoku.
TakuMii
Tokyo ESP
ALL OF THE ACTION
ALL OF THE GA-REI ZERO CAMEOS
OMG SO HYPED
blissfulyoshi
Sailor Moon: Crystal: I know I watched this when I was really young, but I don't really feel any nostalgia with this outdated animation style and mixing of decent sprites on undetailed backgrounds. Throwing in CG into this just creates a larger mess. Adding it on annoying usagi-chan and the deal is sealed.

Zankyou no Terror: Probably one of the best animated shows of the season, but also the show that made me give one of the weakest responses. I can't identify or care about the male characters or the bullied female character. They just exist in either doing some terrorism for an unknown reason or just standard bullying without upplaying the drama much.Only reason I can give a blue is because of the animation.
piruchan
The last one

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance Lots of waifu A harem. The guy has a super strong power type. Well, at least the guy knows that he has the power, unlike most similar anime *cough* DxD *cough*. That aside, I like the art. The color is not over saturated and background people doesn't look ugly. The plot is quite common, but I think some twist might happen. The amount of cliche harem scene is high, but I'm fine with that. The art alone is enough reason for me to continue this.

To sum it up, I think there are lots of promising title this season, let's just hope they don't turn out to be a disappointment.
Rio-
Tokyo ESP - So much action and blood in the first episode, also Ga-Rei Zero cameo and Yousei Teikoku... Best-Action Anime in this season so far imo (also another Manga for me to read)
blissfulyoshi
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance: As much as I love the novels, the animation for this wasn't that great. However, they were true to the LN, so all the jokes and explanations were still there. Given DxD's cast, I expect both of these trends to continue, so give me a bit to sort my feelings.
Navizel
Zankyou no Terror - Not really a fan of Anotheresque art syle but it has the plot and the action scenes which made it appealing.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance - No. It reeks of genericness as what you'd expect from a light novel based anime. Basically, it's your seasonal harem shit show.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha? - I'm getting more and more allergic to these kinds of shows as time passes by. Didn't really make me laugh. Instead, it gave me headache because I saw the second half as disaster.
Liiraye

Mogsworth wrote:

Sword Art Online II - ahahahahano. This show basically opens up with nothing but justification for getting Kirito to play another MMO. The pacing drags as it goes into an overly long build in its intro, featuring a villain whose name is so nonthreatening that it's hilarious (Death Gun, really?), followed up by a date between Kirito and Asuna that just basically shouts "DON'T YOU JUST WANNA BE THIS COUPLE THEY'RE SO HAPPY AND PERFECT AND SHE JUST WANTS TO BE WITH HIM, THAT'S HER ONLY FUTURE PLAN". Ugh. Then he basically gets asked to play another MMO as a detective, and it's because he's apparently just so awesome at MMOs that he's their go-to guy blah blah blah blah. We all knew this was escapist, power fantasy garbage from the beginning and this show's setup episode serves to highlight that even more.

STFU SAO is tHe bEst aNeme WORLD! You jUSt haven't Zeen tHe vN-s yeT!

jokes aside, I'm still holding my breath until it's finished. They light pull it off but not if it continues this way.

I'll make à proper summary later today
blissfulyoshi
Momo Kyun Sword: I sometimes wonder what it is like to watch one of the lowest budget fanservice show of the season, and I'll just say that it is awful. It is not funny, the plot sucks, the battles are boring, and the only thing worth noting are the seiyuus, which can't save it.
AutoMedic
Alright, summing up the shows. It dissapointed me. Yes, I know Akagame ga Kill, Zankyou and Tokyo we're all great solid shows but the rest failed to amused me. Jinsei for the most part. Glasslip is not that bad and I wont even bother talking about Free (sorry Mogsworth). Well, different people have different tastes so dont sue me
show more