forum

Summer 2014 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
deadbeat
ok, this will either fix everything, or break it and i'll need to remake. PLEASE WORK ;w; FIXED
also

Mara wrote:

can I just say if something is cool and what is not (because I think I am not capable to write a book)
as long as you use the colour code, you can only write a sentence and it'll be fine
Mara
alright

[shittaste]

Akame ga Kill! is cool.
Aldnoah.Zero is even cooler.
Bakumatsu Rock is kinda like #finnish and that's why I like it.
Barakamon is AOTS.
DRAMAtical Murder is even more #finnish.
Fuutsu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita. There is a dot.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has well done animation.
Glasslip is the alpha build of the chicken simulator.
PuriPara is the most manly series of the season.
RAIL WARS! There is an exclamation mark, so no comment.
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen is gonna be pew pew pow pow.
Shounen Hollywood -Holly Stage for 49- is going for extreme #finnish and this worries me.
Sword Art Online II had otherwise silly EP1 but sniper butt saved it.
Tokyo Ghoul is a censorship simulator.

[/shittaste]
piruchan
I'm late orz.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun I found this hilarious. I have no complain whatsoever about the voice actor. The animation is great as well. Romcom of the season, anyone?

Akame ga Kill I only give this anime a try because of deadbeat. And I'm not disappointed. It has some blood, but not at the extreme level. Don't get to see much action on the first episode, but it seems promising. I like the theme, haven't seen something like this for a while. Will definitely follow this. Can anyone tell me why that girl in purple chinese dress with an eyepatch is not on shown anymore until the end?
blissfulyoshi
PriPara: I have never tried watching Precure before, but the rainbows are shining too brightly for me... Well, the last girl's speaking style just really annnoyed me and I didn't really like their performance or their costumes. It doesn't mean I hate it though, but I found nothing really worth watching for in this show.

DRAMAtical Murder: Is it just me, or does the frame rate look extremely low at times. A lot of pans seem choppy when I watch this. Regardless, this reminds of the last BL show I watched from Nitro+ with a few improvements. The backgrounds are nice, but most of the time, the characters don't seem to interact with the backgrounds, and most of the action scenes have terrible animation with the exception of the last one, which mostly looked like CG. With the panning hurting my eyes and the show being lackluster in so many areas, I'm dropping this.
VoidnOwO
:)
Navizel
PriPara (Puri Para) - Annoying and boring idol with cards (again) show. It hurts.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal - This is my first time watching Sailor Moon so I don't have any nostalgia goggles to wear. First off, Usagi, the main character, is annoying as heck. I guess overall it's something you'd expect from a majou shoujo show. Weak girl gets magical power, weak girl with a good-looking man, and every possible element a shoujo show could have. I got to say it's not that bad though. It's decent at least.

Akame ga Kill - It's great despite the silly faces and scenes which is putting me off and making me choose whether to take it seriously or not. Cliche boy meets girl but that's really not a big deal. Looking forward to awesome fight scenes. "Night Raid" one-shotting people is kind of boring lol
Shipreck
Aldnoah.Zero
I loved this first episode, the animation is good and the plot is excellent. This could either be really good, or another shitty mecha series.
Bakumatsu Rock
Sorry guys but I like this show because well, I like rock music that's all. The plot is not the greatest, I mean wow samurai's are musicians. But yeah, the music and the mild comedy are the only redeeming factors about this show.
Tokyo Ghoul
/hype/ I watched the first episode the minute it came out, awesome intro episode. This could be the anime of the season as it has awesome animation and plot.
P.A works = Good animation, good feels.
Akame Ga Kill
I found it odd that the protagonist's name isn't in the title. The gore, atmosphere, animation and uncensorship make it one of the fav's for anime of the season.
Argevollen
Just a shitty mecha series from what I saw.
Barakamon
I always like shows like this, protagonist is sent off to somewhere to atone for his mistakes but ends up really enjoying it there.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Basic - Girl has crush on boy, girl confesses to boy, boy misunderstands and gives her an autograph... Okay maybe not. Slice of life, romance are usually my least watched genre's but this is not too bad for a non-P.A Works show.
EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have shitty tastes :D
Trauter

Mara wrote:

Sword Art Online II had otherwise silly EP1 but sniper butt saved it.
Kyonko Hizara
We all seem to be pretty hopeful about Aldnoah.Zero here, but some sites don't seem too hot on it at the moment. They are worried about it being another generic mecha series.
blissfulyoshi

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

We all seem to be pretty hopeful about Aldnoah.Zero here, but some sites don't seem too hot on it at the moment. They are worried about it being another generic mecha series.
Like most shows, the first ep didn't really say much, so it is really too early for anyone to judge.
Kuria
Akame ga Kill! - the character design is meh but the rest are cool
Aldnoah.Zero - still gundam wannabe on my eyes, other than the character design whch seems weak everything looks good especially the ost (based sawano)
Bakumatsu Rock - not interested
Barakamon - AOTS candidate
DRAMAtical Murder - not interested
Fuutsu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita - not watched it yet
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - AOTS candidate
Glasslip - more like Chickenlip feat. Tsumugu and 8man to me LOL
PuriPara - not watched it yet
RAIL WARS! - not watched it yet, seems fun
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen - meh
Shounen Hollywood - not interested
Sword Art Online II - I dunno what to say for this but I'll keep watching
Tokyo Ghoul - Looks great, not really a fan with an edgy genre though
Free! Eternal Summer - hope kyoani can find the way again LOL
Hanayamata - not watched it yet
Ao Haru Ride - not watched it yet
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal - not interested, better read the manga instead

muh taste :P
Kyonko Hizara

Kuria wrote:

Aldnoah.Zero - still gundam wannabe on my eyes, other than the character design whch seems weak everything looks good especially the ost (based sawano)
Bakumatsu Rock - not interested
Glasslip - more like Chickenlip feat. Tsumugu and 8man to me LOL
Hanayamata - not watched it yet
Ao Haru Ride - not watched it yet
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal - not interested, better read the manga instead

Please use the colour code if you wish to be added into the chart
Justykanna

Sonatora wrote:

LEGEND

GREEN - I like it
BLUE - Massive potential, but not going to give that much attention
RED - Not gonna even bother watching it for the rest of the season
In case people forgot.
Kyonko Hizara

Justykanna wrote:

Sonatora wrote:

LEGEND

GREEN - I like it
BLUE - Massive potential, but not going to give that much attention
RED - Not gonna even bother watching it for the rest of the season
In case people forgot.
It's posted on the front post so you wouldn't think it would be hard to forget
piruchan
Re Hamatora Nothing changed much from the first season, tough I think that the color is a bit more less saturated. It seem like they put a very very soft grey overlay. And no more annoying red tints (yey!). Plot wise, nothing much to say. It's your generic second season starter. Giving this a green because I enjoy the first season and want to know more about the story.
Foxtrot
So I decided to watch more stuff.

Sailor Moon Crystal - It's either a love or hate reboot, and so far I am loving it, though I can see why so many people disliked it (mainly because of the new character design). It put me off too a little bit, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Akame ga Kill! - Really, really nice action scenes. I love how they showed the blond girl's true character. It was just very well made, and the way they animated it made her look very despicable. Good job, animators.

Aldnoah.Zero - Since I'm a Urobutcher fan, this is a must watch for me, and so far it was good. Can't wait for more episodes.

Yami Shibai - A lot of people are not watching this and it makes me sad. I just finished watching the first season, and it's exactly what you expected: short, eerie Japanese ghost stories. If you like those types of myths, then this is also a must watch.
blissfulyoshi
Hanayamata: I love the art for the series, but the mc just seems so excessively wimpy at times. In contrast, we have super loud stalker for contrast, making a somewhat repetitive joke. It was funny at first, but quickly got annoying. With all of these feelings, I have to give it another ep.
Topic Starter
Sapphiire_old_1
Jinsei: Relatively good start to the show.
Ikumi definitely reminds me of Rin.
Ikumi and the water balloon fight! Ikumi touching Fumi's boobs and feeling defeated XD
Lawl at Yuuki's ability to read ridiculously fast.
Got some GJ-bu vibes from this
Justykanna

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

It's posted on the front post so you wouldn't think it would be hard to forget
I'm aware but other people clearly aren't, lol.
Navizel
Ao Haru Ride - That looked kind of rushed. Anyway, the first episode showed a lot of potential this show can give. It has amazing art style, interesting characters and plot that can keep viewers from watching it.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Silly and hopeless characters that could branch into good romance but it feels like the show itself isn't sure where it wants to go. Either go bad or go good. We'll see.

Himegoto - Just no. Unfunny short about a trap.
Kuria

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Kuria wrote:

Please use the colour code if you wish to be added into the chart
ah, didn't see the OP when writing this, sorry >_<
guess I'll redo the list then, with some changes

Bakumatsu Rock - i'm rather watch utapri instead lol
Glasslip - meh, more like Chickenlip feat. Tsumugu and 8man but with the lower budget to me, maybe my opinion will be changed if david can find the way there LOL
Jinsei - not watched it yet, seems good
Hanayamata - love the oriental theme, with DANCING GIRLS
Ao Haru Ride - not watched it yet, seems like good

practically this, I still not watched himegoto yet but will do when it reached 5 episodes since the duration is short ;)
blissfulyoshi
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: A very fun shoujo romcom. Art is not the best, but it is gag series. To be honest, the jokes were probably good enough that I really don't care where this series goes.
Mogsy
After a rewatch, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is delightful enough to warrant a green.

HaNaYaMaTa - This show is filled to the brim with bloom (maybe not NGNL levels of bloom, but still). The high, slightly overwhelming art quality is a detriment to the animation, but this show still looks distinctive and has some beautiful scenes. The show itself is kinda sappy but it's genuine. Kinda funny at points, but if they repeat the same joke over and over again it'll get real tedious. We'll see how it goes.
blissfulyoshi
Re Hamatora: I have no idea why I decided to watch this since I only watched 1 ep of first season, but it does seem a lot better than s1. However with that said, the series has a really sense of awkward jokes that either playing when the music, not funny, was too predictable, or something along those lines. In short, the show made me feel incredibly awkward as a viewer, not knowing how I should respond to any scene in the show.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Silver Link please stop trying to badly imitate scenes from other shows (the pan from the water to the bridge from fate/zero). Besides that though, great episode filled with Silver Link's great animation style and lots of yuri joke. However, because the manga they worked with wasn't that long, they really extended the episode a lot, making it a lot slower paced than it should have been (that and miyu didn't actually kiss Illya). Oh well, fans like me probably won't mind too much.
Navizel
Re:Hamatora - Hamatora being its usual self -- random and silly. I'm still in though I won't expect any interesting.

Love Stage! - I hate to say this but it's actually decent. Some parts were putting me off like the facial art but the story seems promising. I guess the fact that they don't look like the people from otome games whose designs are absurd for the male viewers helped.

Sabagebu! - Fun fun fun. It might not have the best art and the best jokes but it made me laugh a number of times and that's what's important. (I really shouldn't trust MAL's rating. so underrated)

Momo Kyun Sword - Waste of time. Horrible plot and "plot".

DRAMAtical Murder - The characters looks uneasy to each other. So lackluster.
blissfulyoshi
Jinsei: Besides the GJ-bu cameo in the beginning, the show plays out more like a slightly slowed paced Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku. All the jokes are very random and just randomly bouncing off each other, so it is funny at times when the jokes click. However, since it is slower paced, you have fewer jokes, and consequently, fewer laughs. Adding on the excessive amount of text on the screen (including text about killing the cuckcoo, even when it sings), I want to try another ep before saying something.
Kyonko Hizara
Will be updating the list momentarily after watching Illya 2wei! EDIT: woop woop updated

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Very Fate! The animation was beautiful, just as last season, and this is one of the few times I'll be caught watching something 'kawaii'. I'm glad to see the new season off to a good start since I was a bit sad that the first was a short season. The pacing wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. I think the action scene could have been longer, but that's just me. As a fan of prisma Illya and the whole Fate series, I might be feeling more positive on this than a first time watcher would.
Mogsy
Love Stage!! - This is cute and we'll see where it goes. So far, it's a romance that isn't heavily rapey or reliant on the seme/uke personality types, and it has its moments of genuine hilarity and cuteness. Main character is pretty memorable and this goes down easily and entertainingly. Just worried about the standard BL progression here, but I'm holding onto it. This episode was cute.

Akame ga KILL! - Holy tonal backlash and unbalanced writing/execution, Batman! This was a mess. Juxtapose comedy scenes from any silly shonen and add in some grotesque imagery and scenes without any real notice and sure, it leaves an impact. But what is the fucking point if we actually don't care about the blank slate protagonist? Or his friends that he left home with? Make me care via on-screen action, not just dialogue saying "oh this is why a situation is horrible." It's just not conducive to a good screenplay/visual project. Past the shock value, there's not much here I care about. Dark does not equal good.
blissfulyoshi
Love Stage!!: Yume no Tobira zutto sagashitsudzuketa.... Besides of reminding me of Love Live all day, I have to agree with Navizel that this was actually quite decent with a lot of jokes that work with a general audience. Obviously the blatant BL is a bit weird for me, but I can live with it.

Himegoto: I have a bad feeling about giving a series about a trap, a 2nd episode, but random funny stuff seems to attract me for some reason....
Rio-
Sword Art Online II - I don't hate the Anime, I hate It's Fandom to be Honest... and not as bad as I expected before

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga (Locodol) Yattemita - doesn't really impressed me much in the first episode, but the comedy is good. Also the Story looks promising too...

Himegoto! - 4 Minutes seriously?! Not really impressed me much in the 1st Episode, but It's pretty hillarious in the whole episode...

I'll watch more like Aldnoah.Zero & Akame ga Kill later
piruchan
Decided to try some shows because I'm bored

Hanayamata The art is really bright and colorful, which might be a turn off for some people. I'm not really into series like this, but this one managed to get my attention. I don't expect much at the plot development, it's quite common and I can already see the next 2 or 3 episodes given there are no major plot twist. Honestly, I don't even know why I give this show a green. But something inside me just screaming that I must follow this.

Jinsei It doesn't seem like a serious slice of life, but I have fun watching the first episode. Need to watch some more before I can decide anything. Somehow I'm feeling K-On! vibe from this one, might turn out as a good side watch.

Himegoto That was short. Nothing impressive so far, but I'll give the next episode a try. If it manages to deliver what the manga has, it could be a good short series.
blissfulyoshi
Ao Haru Ride: A rather generic shoujo about a girl who made bad decisions in life with a rather blunt male lead. I personally like the male being so up front, but the show is not really enthralling or funny.
TakuMii
Jumping back into anime after a somewhat long hiatus:

Ao Haru Ride I think this is the first shoujo I've ever watched, and this sort of thing might just be my cup of tea. I want to see where this goes.

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita. The comedy and the music was meh and the whole second half of the episode was a mess. I might stick around for a few episodes to see if it gets any better though.
EDIT: After the second episode, the characters are starting to grow on me :o changing it from blue to green

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Was pretty fun. Might be the romcom of the season.

Glasslip Typical P.A. Works slice-of-life (with a hint of drama/foreshadowed romance). And I love it. Touko = best girl

Himegoto I...dunno how to feel about this. I might stick around, since the episodes are short and the plot is silly.

Rail Wars! I like trains as much as the next guy, but the amount of unnecessary fanservice was a huuuuuuge turn-off for me.

Sabagebu! This anime is great fun, and reminds a lot of why I enjoyed stuff like Girls und Panzer and Upotte!!. :P

Sword Art Online II I might've overhyped this. The first episode wasn't really anything special. needs more Asuna

YayMii wrote:

Tokyo ESP
ALL OF THE ACTION
ALL OF THE GA-REI ZERO CAMEOS
OMG SO HYPED
Kyonko Hizara
Sengoku Basara: Judge End: I like Basara. Also the opening theme was amazing.
blissfulyoshi
Kuroshitsuji - Book of Circus: A fairly plain and predictable introduction episode. Add on the fact that for every nicely animated scene, there are like 4 more not so well animated scenes. It really seems like a show just for fans of the series.

Ai-Mai-Mi: Mousou Catastrophe:
A pretty boring 4-minute short with that is mostly op and ed

Shin Strange+ Yet another 4 min short that streams not so funny slapstick humor.

Persona 4 - The Golden Animation: Is this the year where we remake everything with bad CG? That and I'm not really interested in watching P4 again, esp if the only major change is bad CG.
Kyonko Hizara
Persona 4 Golden: The Animation: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE ONLY REDEEMABLE THING WAS THE OPENING. I love Persona so this makes me extremely disappointed. I really think the anime is more for people that have already seen the P4 Animation, but this is unacceptable. The animation is horrible and anything not in the main focus is even worse.
claudio rolna
I don't know how to use the colour thingy so I will do it just like these
Aldnoah.Zero-When the bomb was launching my jaw was dropped hope it will be good
Barakamon-Make me laugh so much,good anime
Rail Wars-All good ZAQ do rap,cool the only thing I hate about is the fanservice wow...
SAOII-Just same like season 1 but instead he a detective and in other MMO
Jinsei-was so good!!!!!hm..lack of romance though,which will probably will be added
Momo Kyun Sword-so much fanservice ._.
Hanamayata-decent anime I like this genre,like some sort of dancing,meh whatever I like it
Space Dandy S2-never disappointed me
Bakumatsu Rock-About a stripper who love playing rock jk I think female would love this one..
Free Eternal Summer-female would love this one
Tokyo Ghoul-Woaahhh
Think that's it :D
DarkerStyle
Free! Eternal Summer

Simply awesome.

Sword Art Online II

Not sure what to expect, it has received alot of negativity, but i will still hope for the best!

Akagame no kill

Seemed like a good anime, characters were interesting and the first episode was enough dramatic to watch it till the end!

Re:_Hamatora

After watching the first season, i was really hoping for another one, and i got it! it's awesome in various aspects.

I know, alot of green but im a positive person ! :3, (and a very bad critic)
Kyonko Hizara

claudio rolna wrote:

I don't know how to use the colour thingy so I will do it just like these
Aldnoah.Zero(Green)-When the bomb was launching my jaw was dropped hope it will be good
Barakamon(Green)-Make me laugh so much,good anime
Rail Wars(Blue)-All good ZAQ do rap,cool the only thing I hate about is the fanservice wow...
SAOII(Blue)-Just same like season 1 but instead he a detective and in other MMO
Jinsei(Green)-was so good!!!!!hm..lack of romance though,which will probably will be added
Momo Kyun Sword(red)-so much fanservice ._.
Hanamayata(Blue)-decent anime I like this genre,like some sort of dancing,meh whatever I like it
Space Dandy S2(Green)-never disappointed me
Bakumatsu Rock(Red)-About a stripper who love playing rock jk I think female would love this one..
Free Eternal Summer(red)-female would love this one
Tokyo Ghoul(Green)-Woaahhh
Think that's it :D
For future reference, click the colour you want to use and then type in between the code, it should already place you in between them.
claudio rolna
Tokyo ESP - The first ep has so much action and good storyline they don't follow the storyline from the manga but still okay
Defensive Force 4 and Kagura,Yomi from Ga Rei Zero is there too
xD,i recommend you guys watching this!
show more