forum

Summer 2014 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
blissfulyoshi
Barakamon: Despite some forced jokes and lackluster art, there were some decent jokes and a decent moral behind it all. It was predictable, but this is more of a comedy series than anything else. I'll just see how it turns out.

Tokyo Ghoul: I have to follow everyone else in saying how good this show is. They did a great job of showing all of the problems the kid is going through with the eating and barfing of various foods to his painful hunger pangs to his wanting to be human. Whether is was from the seiyuus or the animation, this is definitely a solid work

Akame ga Kill: Wow, great contrast of light hearted humor and the very dark truth of the capital. Adding in a form of bullet time with some pretty gruesome murders, and I think this show will do justice to the manga. However, some of the action scenes could be more fluid, but I won't dock them too hard for it.
Kyonko Hizara
Aldnoah.Zero: The animation was very crisp for sure. I thought the whole episode would trail on like how the beginning was kinda slow, but toward the end it picked up. It's supposed to be a mecha, so maybe there will be another anime where the words mecha and good can go together.
Topic Starter
Sapphiire_old_1
Akame ga Kill : Great start, my expectations were met. They handled the gore better than I expected. I was curious to see what they would do about Schere cutting the mansion lady up.
The BGM was amazing, as expected! Solid first episode, if it stays consistent it can be a great adaptation.
The OP was pretty weak hopefully the next will be better. Glad to see they were faithful as possible to the source material, as usual of White Fox!
deadbeat

SoG Tava wrote:

Akame ga Kill : Great start, my expectations were met. They handled the gore better than I expected. I was curious to see what they would do about Schere cutting the mansion lady up.
The BGM was amazing, as expected! Solid first episode, if it stays consistent it can be a great adaptation.
The OP was pretty weak hopefully the next will be better. Glad to see they were faithful as possible to the source material, as usual of White Fox!
my thoughts exactly xD
Kyonko Hizara
Now brought to you by people with too much time on their hands: The Summer 2014 Anime Season First Impressions Chart! Featuring: Kyonko Hizara and deadbeat!
deadbeat
btw guys, i'd seriously recommend checking your columns in that gdoc since i added incorrect entries since i have no idea what some of the colours in here mean :<
there's a colour code in the OP. please use it :3
Topic Starter
Sapphiire_old_1

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Now brought to you by people with too much time on their hands: The Summer 2014 Anime Season First Impressions Chart! Featuring: Kyonko Hizara and deadbeat!

deadbeat wrote:

btw guys, i'd seriously recommend checking your columns in that gdoc since i added incorrect entries since i have no idea what some of the colours in here mean :<
there's a colour code in the OP. please use it :3
Thats actually realy cool , if there is way i can help just say it

Edit : you forgot to add 3 to the neutral section with sword art online II and 4 with glasslip
deadbeat

SoG Tava wrote:

Edit : you forgot to add 3 to the neutral section with sword art online II and 4 with glasslip
working on getting it updated automatically. should be working now :3
also if you wanna help, next time set up the OP correctly. so many random colour codes in this thread ;w;
Justykanna

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Document appears to be 'View Only'? Might just be me, lol.
I plan to watch SAO2 and Akame ga Kill ... whenever I have time. xD
Navizel
Yami Shibai 2 - First episode is more of a sad story rather than a creepy and horrific one but this is Yami Shibai we're talking about. I'm sure this will give me the creeps soon. It's good despite being short and the different art but those suits the series.

The doc needs some love for short anime like Yami Shibai. just sayin'.
Topic Starter
Sapphiire_old_1
I think that is intentional

deadbeat wrote:

SoG Tava wrote:

working on getting it updated automatically. should be working now :3
also if you wanna help, next time set up the OP correctly. so many random colour codes in this thread ;w;

It might be just me but the doc is kinda buggy the collors and numbers arent show properly
deadbeat
still working on stuff. wasn't as complete as i thought \D:/

Justykanna wrote:

also View Only is correct. only Kyonko and I can edit it since we don't want people randomly messing up entries
Kyonko Hizara

Justykanna wrote:

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

I plan to watch SAO2 and Akame ga Kill ... whenever I have time. xD
It's only set up for deadboop and I to edit. I'm the one hosting it and I don't want a ton of people going in and messing with it

EDIT: I didn't add any OVAs, Specials, or Movies to the list, so please let us know if what you watched isn't on the list so it can be added.
Navizel

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

EDIT: I didn't add any OVAs, Specials, or Movies to the list, so please let us know if what you watched isn't on the list so it can be added.
Shorts should be good (Yami Shibai, Strange+, etc.). Most OVAs and Specials are not parent story anyway and movies are usually available 6 months after or so.
blissfulyoshi

deadbeat wrote:

Justykanna wrote:

also View Only is correct. only Kyonko and I can edit it since we don't want people randomly messing up entries
To be honest, very few people did manual inputs so keeping it view only is fine. If you need help with gdocs, just ask.
Foxtrot
Space Dandy Season 2- That first episode was amazing, just saying. Dandy never managed to disappoint me.
Navizel
Aldnoah.Zero - Really looks promising as expected from a big cast. Your usual A-1 Pictures' art with an awesome soundtrack and story from Gen "Urobutcher" Urobuchi.

Space Dandy Season 2 - Space Dandy being Space Dandy. Kind of disappointed because it's the same opening and ending but other than that, still great.
Mogsy
Aldnoah.Zero - Really neat set-up. I'm intrigued to see where it goes now, with a slow pace and an unrelenting atmosphere. It's slow at points but it rarely drags. Characters will need to distinguish themselves, but that's bound to happen in a story like this.

Rail Wars! - Low-budget and pandery as all hell. It all comes across as both not confident in its premise and like it's trying to just sell a career in the transit industry. Nah.

Space Dandy s2 - More Dandy, more animators playing around. I adore this show.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Pretty close to green for me, as I actually enjoyed this episode. It's blue due to the fact that it has the potential to wear real thin quickly depending on the execution, but this first episode was cute shoujo rom-com fluff. It's all pretty standard, but it's executed with a light heart and charm. We'll see how it pans out, though.

Also, thanks, Kyonko/deadbeat!
Justykanna

deadbeat wrote:

Justykanna wrote:

Alright, cool, just wanted to confirm. Thanks for your hard work. =)

blissfulyoshi wrote:

To be honest, very few people did manual inputs
Me! xD I struggled with the thing at first.
Kyonko Hizara
Akame ga Kill!: I'm prolly one of the few people that hasn't read the manga. The animation was very clear and and clean. From how the characters appear so far, I'm more interested to see what each of them is about. The pacing seemed pretty good, and didn't go too fast or too slow.
The Winner Man
Akame ga Kill- My favorite manga converted into an anime? Yeah I'm pretty damn hyped about this. A combination of dark setting with moments of comic relief makes it play out really well.
Justykanna
Akame Ga Kill: I'm really on the fence about this one. Looks pretty cool so far, though a little more graphic than other anime I usually watch. Setting seems pretty dark with moments of silliness mixed in - I just hope that part doesn't get out of hand. Pacing seems really fast, which is also something I haven't had in a while. If they cover the story well enough, I'm all for it. I really like that insert song before the ED. Looks like this one's gonna run for 24 episodes.

Sword Art Online 2: I really don't understand why people have so much hate for it. Pretty hard to tell where anything's going to go after the first episode since there was pretty limited scenes from GGO itself and most of the episode was explaining things. Anyways, I'm an MMO nut so I'll be watching this one for sure and I like the groundwork that's be laid out. I like the ending song, which is probably the opening. Like Akame Ga Kill, also 24 episodes long.

These two (and Mahouka from last season) are probably all I'll be watching this season unless some other mech or action anime comes along and springs my attention - unlike the 7 or 8 I tried last season, lol.
deadbeat

The Winner Man wrote:

Akame ga Kill- My favorite manga converted into an anime? Yeah I'm pretty damn hyped about this. A combination of dark setting with moments of comic relief makes it play out really well.
Use the colour codes please
blissfulyoshi
Yeah, I know Justykanna. I deeply appreciated your contributions, but it was hard to get people to follow. Thanks deadbeat and Kyonko, hope you guys don't burn out like I did.

Sabagebu!: A extremely slapstickish comedy about airsoft guns. I had a lot of fun with it, but I do know that some of the jokes might feel too stupid for some. Animation might not be the most detailed but it was mostly fluid, so I highly advise you give it an ep. (As a note, this is based off a shoujo manga, but there are a lot of changes that make the extend the gags and make the show more fitting for the male audience (then again even reading the manga, I really wonder what type of shoujo magazine would run this manga))
Kyonko Hizara

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Yeah, I know Justykanna. I deeply appreciated your contributions, but it was hard to get people to follow. Thanks deadbeat and Kyonko, hope you guys don't burn out like I did.
I have a lot of time so it wasn't too much of a problem. I think the biggest part of it for me was figuring out how to set it up to keep it as close to your design of it as possible.
blissfulyoshi

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

blissfulyoshi wrote:

I have a lot of time so it wasn't too much of a problem. I think the biggest part of it for me was figuring out how to set it up to keep it as close to your design of it as possible.
Yeah...google is not too friendly in copying over spreadsheets (I was honestly thinking about experimenting with Office Online because I know Excel better). If you got the filters down, then all should be pretty easy to set up after.

Also feel free to change the design, if you have something better. I just couldn't think of anything better at the time/Gdrive was really unfriendly with custom colors at the time.
Justykanna

blissfulyoshi wrote:

=)

And I appreciated you setting it all up.

But yeah, just looking at last season's spreadsheet, not everyone manually entered their names and whatnot in after you took time setting it up.
It's probably easier for one or two people to handle anyway... as long as they don't burn out too. xD
The torch has been handed off! lol.
Kyonko Hizara

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Yeah...google is not too friendly in copying over spreadsheets (I was honestly thinking about experimenting with Office Online because I know Excel better). If you got the filters down, then all should be pretty easy to set up after.

Also feel free to change the design, if you have something better. I just couldn't think of anything better at the time/Gdrive was really unfriendly with custom colors at the time.
The design you had works well enough, and it keeps it pretty well organized. The trickiest part of setting it up was figuring out all of the filters for it, but like with what you said, it was easy to do after figuring all of that out.
deadbeat

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

blissfulyoshi wrote:

The design you had works well enough, and it keeps it pretty well organized. The trickiest part of setting it up was figuring out all of the filters for it, but like with what you said, it was easy to do after figuring all of that out.
filters or formatting?
Kyonko Hizara
The codes to add up the numbers and stuff
[ yogurt ]
Akame ga Kill!
Didn't read the manga so went in only knowing that it's about assassins. Interesting premise, pretty naive, good but not a white knight MC, and Akame is cute. It's a show to watch.

Aldnoah.Zero
Has a Valvrave vibe to it, but it looks like it's going to have a lot less asspulls and MC isn't shit. Cast is actually trained to fight in mechs, we'll probably see some of the pilots break down when they realize it's not a game. And it's so pretty.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
A very pleasant surprise. It's one of these shows that I watch with a constant smile through the whole episode. You just have to root for Chiyo she's already best girl of the season..

Rail Wars!
Not that bad, I might end up dropping it along the way. I feel like the bro and girls will be the best thing about this show. And it has Fukuyama Jun.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal
Usagi is awful. Art is awful. Monster Mom was the only good thing in episode 1. Will probably not watch.

I've still to watch Sabagebu!, and waiting on Ilya, Zankyoku no Terror and Tokyo ESP. And probably Majimoji Rurumo, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, and let's hope Hanamonogatari actually airs this season.
deadbeat
gah. rows 38 and 39 haven't been formatted correcly </3
fixing
Kyonko Hizara

deadbeat wrote:

gah. rows 38 and 39 haven't been formatted correcly </3
fixing
Kyonko Skips Rows: The Animation
Mara

can I just say if something is cool and what is not (because I think I am not capable to write a book)
deadbeat
ok, this will either fix everything, or break it and i'll need to remake. PLEASE WORK ;w; FIXED
also

Mara wrote:

can I just say if something is cool and what is not (because I think I am not capable to write a book)
as long as you use the colour code, you can only write a sentence and it'll be fine
Mara
alright

[shittaste]

Akame ga Kill! is cool.
Aldnoah.Zero is even cooler.
Bakumatsu Rock is kinda like #finnish and that's why I like it.
Barakamon is AOTS.
DRAMAtical Murder is even more #finnish.
Fuutsu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita. There is a dot.
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has well done animation.
Glasslip is the alpha build of the chicken simulator.
PuriPara is the most manly series of the season.
RAIL WARS! There is an exclamation mark, so no comment.
Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen is gonna be pew pew pow pow.
Shounen Hollywood -Holly Stage for 49- is going for extreme #finnish and this worries me.
Sword Art Online II had otherwise silly EP1 but sniper butt saved it.
Tokyo Ghoul is a censorship simulator.

[/shittaste]
piruchan
I'm late orz.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun I found this hilarious. I have no complain whatsoever about the voice actor. The animation is great as well. Romcom of the season, anyone?

Akame ga Kill I only give this anime a try because of deadbeat. And I'm not disappointed. It has some blood, but not at the extreme level. Don't get to see much action on the first episode, but it seems promising. I like the theme, haven't seen something like this for a while. Will definitely follow this. Can anyone tell me why that girl in purple chinese dress with an eyepatch is not on shown anymore until the end?
blissfulyoshi
PriPara: I have never tried watching Precure before, but the rainbows are shining too brightly for me... Well, the last girl's speaking style just really annnoyed me and I didn't really like their performance or their costumes. It doesn't mean I hate it though, but I found nothing really worth watching for in this show.

DRAMAtical Murder: Is it just me, or does the frame rate look extremely low at times. A lot of pans seem choppy when I watch this. Regardless, this reminds of the last BL show I watched from Nitro+ with a few improvements. The backgrounds are nice, but most of the time, the characters don't seem to interact with the backgrounds, and most of the action scenes have terrible animation with the exception of the last one, which mostly looked like CG. With the panning hurting my eyes and the show being lackluster in so many areas, I'm dropping this.
VoidnOwO
:)
Navizel
PriPara (Puri Para) - Annoying and boring idol with cards (again) show. It hurts.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal - This is my first time watching Sailor Moon so I don't have any nostalgia goggles to wear. First off, Usagi, the main character, is annoying as heck. I guess overall it's something you'd expect from a majou shoujo show. Weak girl gets magical power, weak girl with a good-looking man, and every possible element a shoujo show could have. I got to say it's not that bad though. It's decent at least.

Akame ga Kill - It's great despite the silly faces and scenes which is putting me off and making me choose whether to take it seriously or not. Cliche boy meets girl but that's really not a big deal. Looking forward to awesome fight scenes. "Night Raid" one-shotting people is kind of boring lol
show more