forum

Can't even AR9 anymore? HELP?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loves
My problem is pretty debilitating to my rank because I can only sight read and play AR 9 maps for the first handful of times before I start to stumble over the easy notes thus making it impossible to FC. Albeit this, I still manage to get high accuracy which really proves my reading sucks. Obviously this only applies to maps with patterns or a free pattern but it's really killing me to see that most insanes are AR9.

How can i improve fast? I've been downloading and trying to play AR 9 maps for over a month now, I even edit them down to AR 8 (which i suck even harder at).

Thank~
Vuelo Eluko
i think you're looking at the wrong aspect of the game if you think AR is related to this.

just work through it, dont tense up, read notes individually, etc
Pettanko
look at each note individually especially when it comes to jumps and patterns, it also helps if you kinda know where you usually miss so you can focus extra hard when you get to that part
Topic Starter
Loves
I can pretty much get 80% on freedom dive 4D AR 10 but I can't even hit 60 with AR9.
Vuelo Eluko
you killed your reading then
go back to basic reading techniques and dont react when playing ar9
wildcookie

Pettanko wrote:

look at each note individually especially when it comes to jumps and patterns, it also helps if you kinda know where you usually miss so you can focus extra hard when you get to that part
^ this. I had the same problem and this fixed it
lolcubes

Loves wrote:

How can i improve fast?
You don't improve fast.
Vuelo Eluko

lolcubes wrote:

Loves wrote:

How can i improve fast?
You don't improve fast.
some do
lolcubes
People who improve fast usually figure out things on their own. If you need advice on how to improve means you really lack insight into your own ability, potential and areas you are bad at. This can mean that you actually can't improve at all without other people's input, which is even slower than natural.

So, not fast.
Vuelo Eluko

lolcubes wrote:

People who improve fast usually figure out things on their own. If you need advice on how to improve means you really lack insight into your own ability, potential and areas you are bad at. This can mean that you actually can't improve at all without other people's input, which is even slower than natural.

So, not fast.
some people may feel doubt in the merits of simply playing more with no clear payoff and just hoping they improve over time. typically they just need assurance on it rather than literally being told specifically what to do or being 'unable' to improve otherwise. Unwilling is more appropriate.

I've been frustrated with my rate of improvement all the time, it doesnt mean i cant figure things out on my own or lack insight, just that i improve slower than other people because of my genetics such as being blind in one eye and just being for one reason or another, slow at developing muscle memory and reading skills despite my efforts, and i've had doubts whether i should keep trying when i see people blaze pass me in 4k plays, but i keep trying. Not everyone learns slow for the reason you outlined.
winber1
ha improving. what a joke. i've trained my life to decline.
buny
You don't

pursue that hr career
Dexus
Bassist: you're like a garbage disposal that takes stuff in and spits it back out randomly. Muscle control isn't what reading is about. Reading is a thought process from listening to the music, determining what the notes are in sync with, and hitting them on time with the beat. Reading correlates with accuracy. Accuracy correlates with speed because you have to be fast enough to be accurate enough. Speed comes from proper technique that can be maintained. Technique comes from understanding how your fingers move in order to hit the notes. The root cause of every osu! player's problem is their thought process in playing. They'll forget to think, possibly overanalyze instead, or simply be overwhelmed due to inexperience. People shove that 'play more' phrase into new players face because it's true, you play more to get experience and you understand better as to what you're doing. This relates to the topic too, simply the players who can't play AR# can't read because they don't know what's going on from not playing it enough to think clearly about it. Again, thought process.

Yeeeee text wall. I'm not proofreading this.
nooblet

Dexus wrote:

Bassist: you're like a garbage disposal that takes stuff in and spits it back out randomly. Muscle control isn't what reading is about. Reading is a thought process from listening to the music, determining what the notes are in sync with, and hitting them on time with the beat. Reading correlates with accuracy. Accuracy correlates with speed because you have to be fast enough to be accurate enough. Speed comes from proper technique that can be maintained. Technique comes from understanding how your fingers move in order to hit the notes. The root cause of every osu! player's problem is their thought process in playing. They'll forget to think, possibly overanalyze instead, or simply be overwhelmed due to inexperience. People shove that 'play more' phrase into new players face because it's true, you play more to get experience and you understand better as to what you're doing. This relates to the topic too, simply the players who can't play AR# can't read because they don't know what's going on from not playing it enough to think clearly about it. Again, thought process.

Yeeeee text wall. I'm not proofreading this.
rekt
uzzi

Dexus wrote:

Bassist: you're like a garbage disposal that takes stuff in and spits it back out randomly.
I had an audible laugh.

Dexus wrote:

Wall of text
Way to put my thoughts into words. I can't stress enough that playing more really helps, most of the time, people just blatantly give up after a day or two of being unable to do something (like streaming or reading AR). There's a psychological aspect to the game that people seem to ignore.
Topic Starter
Loves
I would continue playing DT, HRHD if only I COULD ACTUALLY FC INSANES with them haha.

And if i did manage to HDHR or DTHD insanes, then i wouldn't be on the forums asking for help ><
B1rd
the only difference between low AR and high AR is that with low AR is that you can see more notes on the screen that you don't need to be hitting.
So when someone plays high AR, they are conditioning themselves to look at the notes as soon as they appear, because that's the correct time you need to look at the notes to comprehend and hit them.
But when you do the same thing with low AR, looking at notes as soon as they appear that is, you are looking way too far forward in the timeline, and you 'forget' the notes in the present, so you fail to do them.

So to remedy this, just ignore all of the notes that you don't need to be hitting- only focus your attention on the next circle or slider that you need to hit. keep your eyes on the current note for as long as you can before shifting to the next one.
though it is especially difficult to read patterns and instances of notes hidden behind each other, as using the technique I mentioned, sometimes with all of the notes on the screen you can be unsure of which note you need to hit next. something helpful to do in those situations is go into edit mode and remember which order you need to do the pattern in.

so, using that technique has helped me a lot with AR8, though It still takes a lot of practice to learn/relearn low AR. So practise. training AR8 maps might help your reading develop quicker.
nrl

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

There's a world of difference between "killing your reading" and being unaccustomed to low AR.
K E N N

winber1 wrote:

ha improving. what a joke. i've trained my life to decline.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

There's a world of difference between "killing your reading" and being unaccustomed to low AR.
well that would just assume he hadn't even properly mastered AR9 in the first place.
maybe killing his reading is a bit too exaggerated but my point was he was more focused on the next circle appearing rather than the next he has to hit because of ar10/9.6
nrl
If he typically plays AR10 there's nothing wrong with that.
Vuelo Eluko

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

If he typically plays AR10 there's nothing wrong with that.
but he could have killed his reading of lower ar's which is what i meant. being unaccustomed would involved him not initially mastering ar9 before moving onto 9.6/10 which i was assuming he had :P
nrl
You've got it reversed.
Vesrand
Guys. I've got somewhat related to this question. How much I can play ar10 maps without loosing my ability to read lower ar? Actually I enjoy playing ar7-ar9 maps, but I want to be able to play HRHD because its also fun and moreover gives you nice score. So may be I should play single ar10 and then single ar7 map? Or may be all day long play ar10 mas and another day play ar7-9 masp? Or may be for each ar10 map I have to play 2 ar8 maps? :)
Vuelo Eluko

Vesrand wrote:

Guys. I've got somewhat related to this question. How much I can play ar10 maps without loosing my ability to read lower ar? Actually I enjoy playing ar7-ar9 maps, but I want to be able to play HRHD because its also fun and moreover gives you nice score. So may be I should play single ar10 and then single ar7 map? Or may be all day long play ar10 mas and another day play ar7-9 masp? Or may be for each ar10 map I have to play 2 ar8 maps? :)
if you master a lower ar you'll never lose the ability to do it. it's much harder to go from playing a low ar map to playing a high ar map than vice versa.

only you can judge whether you've mastered a certain AR though. I'd say I've mastered 9 so no amount of 9.6/10 makes me worse at it. i can play those all day then jump right into 9 and have no issues.
show more