forum

Does playing with BLACK switches even improve speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Barciok
Speed & Stamina actually.
Vuelo Eluko
i thought this may be a question about black switches but the way your post goes with the title makes it seem more like a sales pitch
so i made this

but yes they are good for speed & stamina
AutoMedic
They are good for training your fingers to stream.

Personal experience tho, but

If you're planning to get a high rank in a song, dont bother using black ones. Use them only in training
benjacala

Sonatora wrote:

If you're planning to get a high rank in a song, dont bother using black ones. Use them only in training
you make it sound like using other switches will make you better instantly. You can get high ranks with w/e keyboard.
DeletedUser_3905941
quite amusing people actually continue the keyboard discussion. if you want to learn about keyboards go to geekhack or something
CHERRY MX DOESN'T MAKE YOU BETTER AT OSU
AutoMedic

benjacala wrote:

Sonatora wrote:

you make it sound like using other switches will make you better instantly. You can get high ranks with w/e keyboard.
I'm implying that using red switches is more comfortable when it comes to E-Penis/pp farming. Black switches just improves your overall streaming speed and stamina. I hope I cleared up the misunderstanding :>
Topic Starter
Barciok

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

i thought this may be a question about black switches but the way your post goes with the title makes it seem more like a sales pitch
so i made this

but yes they are good for speed & stamina
I lol'd xD

I asked if greater pressure = quicker stamina boost (with training ofc), cause i don't see any difference between red/black when playing long stream pratice maps.

Thanks
Blueprint
I've seen tons of this topic but actually heres what I want, I want a noobs opinions on mech vs mech some 1 who doesn't have triple quad digits anyway I use blacks my self don't see myself buying another 1 anytime soon.
Vuelo Eluko

Blueprint wrote:

I've seen tons of this topic but actually heres what I want, I want a noobs opinions on mech vs mech some 1 who doesn't have triple quad digits anyway I use blacks my self don't see myself buying another 1 anytime soon.
send me like 2 of your switches [if you know how to remove them] from like your pg up and home key or smthng l0l thx
jesse1412
I have blacks and reds and I prefer blacks in every way to reds. Anyone saying don't use blacks to actually play are retarded and probably haven't even tried them.

Vuelo Eluko
its been my life goal to cameo in all your videos on the spectator list.
Pettanko

jesus1412 wrote:

I have blacks and reds and I prefer blacks in every way to reds. Anyone saying don't use blacks to actually play are retarded and probably haven't even tried them.
do blacks and reds make the same sound when you press them? i'm getting a bit tired of the sound that red switches make cause they sound kinda loud to me
Mathsma

Pettanko wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

do blacks and reds make the same sound when you press them? i'm getting a bit tired of the sound that red switches make cause they sound kinda loud to me
They both sound nearly exactly the same, maybe the blacks are a little more quiet because of the extra resistance slowing down the key just a bit so it doesn't hit as hard. If you really want to reduce the loudness of the key clack, try investing in some o-rings such as these. I think I recall Horo saying on his live stream once that those aren't really a good deal and you can get them cheaper somewhere else, but I don't remember really.
jesse1412

Pettanko wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

http://puu.sh/9U5rI/94fbd3e3d8.wma

Reds are tested first each time (ie reds 1key and then blacks 1key and then streaming on reds and then streaming on blacks etc.). Blacks seem louder in person to me by quite a lot.
Pettanko

Mathsma wrote:

They both sound nearly exactly the same, maybe the blacks are a little more quiet because of the extra resistance slowing down the key just a bit so it doesn't hit as hard. If you really want to reduce the loudness of the key clack, try investing in some o-rings such as these. I think I recall Horo saying on his live stream once that those aren't really a good deal and you can get them cheaper somewhere else, but I don't remember really.
i got 40A-L o-rings on amazon a while back, can't remember how much exactly but i'm sure it was a lot cheaper than buying from that site and my keyboard is still a bit loud for my tastes. the buttons i use for streaming have 2 under them to further reduce the sound but it does significantly change the feel of the keys :P

jesus1412 wrote:

http://puu.sh/9U5rI/94fbd3e3d8.wma

Reds are tested first each time (ie reds 1key and then blacks 1key and then streaming on reds and then streaming on blacks etc.). Blacks seem louder in person to me by quite a lot.
yea sounds like blacks make a lot more noise, thanks for testing
Dexus
In theory scissor switches would be better (and cheaper).

Try to get numpads of these things so you don't spend too much money on a keyboard and you end up not liking it.
B1rd
^where can you get these number pads from?

I don't really see how blacks would make more noise than reds, all the sound comes from the key hitting the back of the keyboard when you press it down all the way. Unlike blues for example, they make next to no sound if you don't smash them down hard with your fingers.

As for the topic, well I think black are the best for speed probably. My theory: since they are heavier, they require more finger stamina and strength to use, though they should help with developing that if you use them for a while. And I think since they require more effort to push down, they also push back up harder, which is in a way helping you do half the work. So I think that they are the best for speed, once you've developed the finger strength to use them.

I've been using them for a week; when I first go them I started practising by doing the 120bpm long stream map in blocks of like 4 times in a row. And now I my fingers are too weak to stream any more. It's annoying but all I can do is wait for the muscles to build up, and in the meantime suffer shit accuracy in any map that has streams :o
Topic Starter
Barciok

B1rd wrote:

I don't really see how blacks would make more noise than reds, all the sound comes from the key hitting the back of the keyboard when you press it down all the way. Unlike blues for example, they make next to no sound if you don't smash them down hard with your fingers.

As for the topic, well I think black are the best for speed probably. My theory: since they are heavier, they require more finger stamina and strength to use, though they should help with developing that if you use them for a while. And I think since they require more effort to push down, they also push back up harder, which is in a way helping you do half the work. So I think that they are the best for speed, once you've developed the finger strength to use them.

I've been using them for a week; when I first go them I started practising by doing the 120bpm long stream map in blocks of like 4 times in a row. And now I my fingers are too weak to stream any more. It's annoying but all I can do is wait for the muscles to build up, and in the meantime suffer shit accuracy in any map that has streams :o
Yeah, I can now like FC long stream practice 140, 150, 160 in a row with blacks. Shitty acc ofc (90% pff)
Noobsicle

B1rd wrote:

ebay
Dexus
You get them from the internet.

Lift your fingers higher and don't be afraid to push to faster speeds; playing 120BPM while you can play 160BPM (I don't know your limits) would just be a giant waste of time. Speed is linear, you just need to practice with what you're comfortable and move to higher speeds slowly.

Unless you're changing those long stream practice maps to OD10 it's a very poor example. Some are timed horribly wrong too.

Just think of it like this: if you're frantically hitting the keys, your muscles are getting super tense, or you're failing a lot and have to retry A LOT; then you're playing way out of your league.

The theories on stamina too are BS, it's just people using it as an excuse for being slow. If you're getting tired or fading out on a stream it just means you're too slow or tensing up too much (Aka wrong technique); become faster and viola they become easier and you can last longer. You play with heavier keys to become more accurate and improve your form/technique so you can in turn move your fingers faster.
Vuelo Eluko

Dexus wrote:

The theories on stamina too are BS, it's just people using it as an excuse for being slow.
Pettanko

Dexus wrote:

The theories on stamina too are BS, it's just people using it as an excuse for being slow. If you're getting tired or fading out on a stream it just means you're too slow or tensing up too much (Aka wrong technique); become faster and viola they become easier and you can last longer. You play with heavier keys to become more accurate and improve your form/technique so you can in turn move your fingers faster.
so if i can do a 180 bpm stream for 50 notes and then start getting 100s and 50s and eventually miss that means i'm too slow for that bpm?
AutoMedic
I can do 200 BPM streams. Anything higher than 250 would result me getting a fuckton of 100's and 50's
Vuelo Eluko

Sonatora wrote:

I can do 200 BPM streams. Anything higher than 250 would result me getting a fuckton of 100's and 50's
i have a hard time believing you though. ive played way more than you and i have to really focus even to SS the ~60 note long 170 bpm stream in ridorii, typically get 3-5 100's... and i consider my streaming decent for my rank
AutoMedic

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Sonatora wrote:

i have a hard time believing you though. ive played way more than you and i have to really focus even to SS the ~60 note long 170 bpm stream in ridorii, typically get 3-5 100's... and i consider my streaming decent for my rank
I can stream pretty fast tho. The problem is that I hate fast AR's. I can't follow them :(

HELP ME BASSIST
f i z i k

Sonatora wrote:

"I can stream 200BPM" am I missing something here?

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Dexus wrote:

The theories on stamina too are BS, it's just people using it as an excuse for being slow.
I love how you can still go strong in shitposting even after you did already 1150 of them,my fucking god
Vuelo Eluko

f i z i k wrote:

I love how you can still go strong in shitposting even after you did already 1150 of them,my fucking god
thanks but the quote warranted it
jesse1412
:cry:

B1rd wrote:

Everyone seems to just think "you push down harder hence blacks are tougher" and forget that the key comes back up with a lot more force. The force from the key coming up is already going to make it far louder when it hits resting point. The force on release pushing your fingers up is also the reason I have an easier time on blacks as I don't have to put as much effort into lifting my fingers.
koki_old_1
once you go black you never go back
Vuelo Eluko

jesus1412 wrote:

:cry:

B1rd wrote:

Everyone seems to just think "you push down harder hence blacks are tougher" and forget that the key comes back up with a lot more force. The force from the key coming up is already going to make it far louder when it hits resting point. The force on release pushing your fingers up is also the reason I have an easier time on blacks as I don't have to put as much effort into lifting my fingers.
Of course, for comparison purposes, the muscles and tendons involved in bringing the fingers down are very strong and well developed... but the ones connected to the back of the fingers... well... much less so. The world record for grip strength is around 200 pounds. I'd say the average person would be hard pressed to lift 5 with the back of their fingertips without some pretty real pain.

It's clear which fatigue faster when it comes to the kind of repetitive fast motions streaming demands.
My Angel Gordon
While I have not used them, my assumption is that they help by coming upwards with greater amounts of force. Since it's not necessary to fully depress a mechanical switch, one may be able to press the black switch without bottoming out easier.
Dexter_old_1
I recently switched from rubberdome to black switches. Imo its really comfortable and the actuation force required is not far from rubberdome, I guess.