forum

[STD | Taiko] Experiment 00 - v2.0 - Dark minimalist skin

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Kheryo

Version 2.0.0 Update

As promised a while ago, taiko is now skinned.
As the skin was somewhat blurry and hard to read at high speed, I reworked most of the elements of STD gameplay to address this issue.
You can now use this skin at any level of difficulty efficiently.

I still have to work on these custom sounds e_e

Main post edit done. Feel free to share the skin with your friends btw 'w'
(My final goal would be to see it in a random youtube osu video :>)

I will make a video preview once I get the sounds done btw. (This should be done soon... perhaps... e_e)

Download

Here : OSK / ZIP (2.0.0)

Changelog

Increased clarity and readability
• Sharper, less blurry STD gameplay elements
  • - HitCircle
    - HitCircleOverlay
    - ApproachCircle
    - SliderBall
    - SliderFollowCircle (extra)
    - Cursor
• Brighter, more visible STD gameplay elements
  • - SliderBall (extra)
    - Spinner
    - Cursor
• New HitCircles
  • - 0%, 30%, 60%, 100% fill opacity
    - Thin / medium / thick inner color circle
    - Thin / medium "floaty" inner color circle (extra)
Taiko skinning
• Released

User interface
• Multiplayer
  • - added skinning for "skipped" icon
    - added skinning for "winner" box
• SD compatibility
  • - "Unranked" text is now also skinned in SD (oops)

Pictures

New Hitcircles (/!\ Large pictures /!\)
From left to right : 0%, 30%, 60%, 100% opacity
From top to bottom : Thin, Normal, Thick color circle
I tried going with thicker color circles but the result was, in my humble opinion, not fitted to my skin nor to my gameplay, thus I did not include them.

Same thing with a background for better appreciation

These hitcircles seem to be trendy these days so I included these in the extras for the players who are more used to using them.
(Yes, this sentence makes sense.)

Slider Ball Z
Left to right : Sliderball (default), More visible Sliderball (extra), SliderFollowCircle (extra)

Cursor
Right one is a request. As it looks pretty nice, I included it in the extras.

Spinner (/!\Large pictures/!\)
Miku decided she didn't want to work as a spinner-metre anymore.
(She is still there for you in the extra folder if you miss her)

Taiko
That's pretty minimalist...
As I am a bad taiko player, I don't really know what a good taiko player needs, so I asked a few players out there which told me the first concern was readability. If you are a taiko player, please feel free to try this skin and tell me if anything has been done wrongly, so that I can fix it.

Rio-
I love this skin.... Thx for sharing! <3
Vratyas
I love this skin, thanks a lot dude!
Kunieda
minimalist taiko skin been released ;w;
Thanks for sharing!
AGRX
Can i ask whats the reason to use smaller approachcircle ?
Topic Starter
Kheryo

Agrrox wrote:

Can i ask whats the reason to use smaller approachcircle ?
Hi, I was supposed to add this in the main post but instead I'm making sort of a skinning almanach for my page, so I forgot to post it here .-.

What are we talking about anyway ?
Some of you might have noticed, or might think the approachcircles in this skin behave in a strange way, here's why :

Imagine the picture on the left is a hitcircle. The area within which you must click to get points.
The 2nd picture shows the inner (green) and outer (blue) borders of an approachcircle, at the exact moment you have to click to get the maximum amount of points, according to the default osu mechanics.
The 3rd picture shows the inner and outer borders of an approachcircle, at the exact moment you're supposed to click, in this skin.

As you can see, default osu! behavior is expecting the player to click as the inner border of the approachcircle reaches the outer border of the hitcircle, whereas with this skin the good timing is when the outer border of the approachcircle reaches the outer border of the hitcircle

I believe using a smaller approachcircle has both advantages and drawbacks :

+ Somehow more forgiving for accuracy

This skin is built and based on my personal preference. I tend to hit circles at the last moments, maybe a little "late" to the eyes of osu.
I believe this change allows the mechanics to be a bit more forgiving in terms of timing, as you get that extra few frames when the approachcircle merges when the hitcircles, during which you can still click. And even if you click it when it is on the outside border, it will be considered a little "early", but still 300 until you're on some crazy OD setting (>8 gets me a few random 100s per song, but I usually still end up around 98-99%)
Overall I believe this small tweak allows me to get slightly better accuracy compared to the original mechanics.

+ More natural feel (that is subjective though)

In my opinion, it looks and feels better to have the approachcircle merge with the hitcircles. I like it and this is why I made it.

- Harder to read as stacked notes' approachcircles are closer from eachother

Since the base approachcircle is a bit smaller than the default ones, when the picture is zommed, it will also appear smaller from the start. That means that when there are stacked notes, my approachcircles will appear closer from eachother than when using "classic", outer-border approachcircles.
I tried to address this issue in version 2.0, by making the approachcircle thinner and sharper, just thick enough to be noticed by peripheral vision, but thin enough to not become a blurry mess when they are stacked like in versions before 2.0 (try an old version and you'll see the difference)
Readability is a heavy price to pay for accuracy, but I believe it is worth it.

- Might break habits of people used to the classic one, thus I included it in the extras

If you find that these mechanics do not suit you or that I'm a crazy old man for thinking it is any good, I included a larger, default osu mechanics approachcircle in the extra folder, feel free to use it to restore your inner balance when playing with this skin :p
(If you don't know how to replace files with ones from the extra folder, I detailed that in the F.A.Q. at the very bottom of the main post)

Congrats if you read everything. If you did not :

TL;DR :
This skin uses different approachcircle mechanics (smaller approachcircle that merges with the hitcircle instead of stopping at the border).
This is supposed to get you better accuracy and more forgiving timing, along with feeling more natural and smoother.
If you don't like it, use "original osu mechanics" approachcircle included in the extras.

Once again, thank you very much for trying my skin and for providing feedback. I am always looking for ways to improve my skins and your help is always welcome :D
this is like the best skin OsuMe65 never bothered to make because he was too busy rehashing everything
Erodote
Amazing skin, very neat. I use it everytime now :)
Satella
Link is gone? ;w;7
Topic Starter
Kheryo
Hi,

SnickarN wrote:

Link is gone? ;w;7
No no, link is here :
OSK : http://www.mediafire.com/download/1d01u ... 0+v200.osk
ZIP : http://www.mediafire.com/download/gs7gi ... 0+v200.zip

Some image links died though, I will create a puush account and migrate them.
Sorry for not being very active lately, I'm an engineering school student and the schedule is very busy .w.
OsuMe65

Faces3 wrote:

this is like the best skin OsuMe65 never bothered to make because he was too busy rehashing everything
I'll reach that point soon™ Just wait. I'm still learning. ;)
Satella

Kheryo wrote:

Hi,

SnickarN wrote:

Link is gone? ;w;7
No no, link is here :
OSK : http://www.mediafire.com/download/1d01u ... 0+v200.osk
ZIP : http://www.mediafire.com/download/gs7gi ... 0+v200.zip

Some image links died though, I will create a puush account and migrate them.
Sorry for not being very active lately, I'm an engineering school student and the schedule is very busy .w.
what the hell. before i commented that i tried to download and it said that mediafire had removed the links for violation or some shit but now it works

also nice Link Kappa b
Shinsekai-
i want one life bar :( ,you can create one for me? (please ;A;)
sodapop
Thanks for the skin, bro! I use it all the time!
MoonChow
Very cool. Will be using this alot.
XK2238
yo, really neat skin there o/ just want to mention that sliderscorepoint.png is actually needed in Taiko, mainly because it's used for the yellow bar (the ticks aren't always in 1/4 beats so ;w;).
Also, the hitcircle overlay is the default one's (except that you've got rid of the stars), I suppose? You might want to change it into something more subtle to further minimize blurring, but that's just my opinion though; I've been using a pitch-black overlay since long ago so I don't really know.

That aside, it's slick :D keep it up
ginsakulan
This is the BEST skin I have ever encountered!! Thanks! :)
-HakureiReimu-
Another Clean and Simple skin that is awesome to read :D
unboundlife
I've been looking for a skin like this for ages. The best skin I've used so far, I love it!
Kappa my kappa
Wish there were more skins like this around - thanks heaps!
fumiga
Edit: problem solved
fluffyandcute
:)
fluffyandcute
:D
hiandbye
Hi! I wanted to let you know, there's a tiny error in your Taiko skin. With skin Version: 2 to latest taiko-bar-right.png and taiko-bar-right-glow.png need to be 1024 x 200. Otherwise it's too short in 4:3 resolutions.
Zeyvie

Kheryo wrote:

Hello, and welcome to this post. Please have a seat. ╞╕

Experiment 00 is a dark, minimalist skin, that aims to provide players with an efficient environment, with the smallest amount of distractions possible.
This skin was composed according to my own taste and to player suggestions. If you find any way to improve it, please feel free to share it via this thread or via MP.
This skin is made from scratch, however, I found inspiration in my favorite skins to this day : Minimalist Miku and Luminance, you may want to check these out as well.

Feel free to give it a try if you like it or if you have some time to kill. I am always open to suggestions and any constructive criticism is welcome.

Main features
• Dark theme
• Minimalistic
• Easy to read
• Moderate contrast (does not cause too much eye strain)
• A nice set of extras to further customize the skin to your liking

Quick notes
• Recommended for any type of players. This skin should suit you even in the hardest difficulties. If it does not, please let me know, and I will work towards improving it according to your suggestions and requests.
• It is highly recommended to play with background dim 80-100% when using this skin
• If you want to play with background/storyboard/videos on, you can find an opaque hitcircle in the extras folder

Screenshots

Download

Current version : OSK Download / ZIP Download (2.0.0)

Changelog

Current version
Increased clarity and readability
• Sharper, less blurry STD gameplay elements
  • - HitCircle
    - HitCircleOverlay
    - ApproachCircle
    - SliderBall
    - SliderFollowCircle (extra)
    - Cursor
• Brighter, more visible STD gameplay elements
  • - SliderBall (extra)
    - Spinner
    - Cursor
• New HitCircles
  • - 0%, 30%, 60%, 100% fill opacity
    - Thin / medium / thick inner color circle
    - Thin / medium "floaty" inner color circle (extra)
Taiko skinning
• Released

User interface
• Multiplayer
  • - added skinning for "skipped" icon
    - added skinning for "winner" box
• SD compatibility
  • - "Unranked" text is now also skinned in SD (oops)
Extras
• Removed a few useless extras (smoke trails, color schemes etc)
• Added a few gameplay-related extras

Sounds
• Still TODO... Maybe in 2.1 ?

Old changelogs
Changelog for 1.0.0 :
- Released
- Full Standard skinning

Changelog for 1.1.0 :
• New mod Icons (At last)
• Resized and readjusted difficulty stars and some texts
• New extras :
- Difficulty stars (circles)
- New combo color schemes
- Custom smoke trails
• Added more .psd files to allow players to customize more elements
• Added a readme with .psd editing guide, and list of files and filenames
• The character font used in this skin, Geo Sans Light, is now included in the .zip and .osk
• Changed a few sounds. The skin sounds better now.(homemade sounds planned for 1.2.0)

Changelog for 1.1.1 :
• Changed the selection icons (on the bottom of songselect)
• Added a menu background(I will most likely change it soon though)
• Repackaged the .osk to fix some potential issues

Extras

Custom HP bar
I will include a .psd file for anyone who wants to add his name to the HP bar.
If you happen to not have any .psd editing software at hand, you can download and use Gimp which is a free alternative to photoshop. You only need to know how to open a file and use the text tool, which should take you approximately 2 minutes to learn.

My own HP bar, at last *o*

This is the default

Please don't ban me

Empty bar (the part of the bar with your name also disappears)
Note : There are a few text variations in the extra folder for the HP bar background.
Note2 : There is no easter egg here.

New Hitcircles
From left to right : 0%, 30%, 60%, 100% opacity
From top to bottom : Thin, Normal, Thick color circle
I tried going with thicker color circles but the result was, in my humble opinion, not fitted to my skin nor to my gameplay, thus I did not include them.

Same thing with a background for better appreciation

These hitcircles seem to be trendy these days so I included these in the extras for the players who are more used to using them.
(Yes, this sentence makes sense.)

SliderBall / SliderFollowCircle
Left to right : Sliderball (default), More visible Sliderball (extra), SliderFollowCircle (extra)

Cursor
Left one is the previous cursor (v1) and middle one is the new default, updated one. Right one is a request. As it looks pretty nice, I included it in the extras.

Spinner
Miku decided she didn't want to work as a spinner-metre anymore.
(She is still there for you in the extra folder if you miss her)

Credits

Inspiration
- [Garin] for his awesome Minimalist Miku skin.
- Uruoki for the most elaborated skin I know, Luminance and for the very complete feedback and suggestions about my skin

Test Subjects and helpful people
- Myu (Standard / Taiko test subject, a good friend of mine)
- Seunie- (Standard test subject... Also my sister)
- Juuryoushin (Taiko skinning advice)
- Astar (Standard test subject, also a nice person to talk about tomato juice with)

Character font - Geo Sans Light

F.A.Q.

FAQ and how-to
How do I install the skin ?
1 : Click on the "Download OSK" link or on the "OSK" part of the big download picture above
2 : Once you arrive on mediafire, click the beautiful green "Download" button on your right and save it somewhere
3 : Once the download is complete, open the file : osu will automatically install the skin for you
4 : Profit !

How do I change the HP bar name in the .psd file ?
1 : Select the text layer by clicking it
2 : Click anywhere on the text to select it, then select all of it and replace with your name
3 : CTRL + SHIFT + S (save as...) -> "scorebar-colour@2x.png"
4 : Alt + Ctrl + I -> check "keep proportions" and divide height or width by 2
5 : CTRL + SHIFT + S -> "scorebar-colour.png"
6 : Cancel the resizing and exit (or exit without saving)

I don't understand D:
1 : Send me a PM with title "HP bar - <yourname>" e.g. "HP bar - peppy" or "HP bar - -Potato-"
2 : ???
3 : Profit !

How do I send you a PM ?
1 : Click on my nickname
2 : Click on the small mail icon under my profile picture
Alternatively you can also just click here

How do I use any of the extra thingies ?
1 : go to C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\Skins\Experiment 00 v2.0.0\Extras
2 : Navigate to any content you may like to use as a replacement in the main skin
3 : Copy all the files in the folder you are currently in (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\Skins\Experiment 00 v2.0.0\Extras\Cursor\Light Gray)
4 : Go back to the main skin folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\Skins\Experiment 00 v2.0.0
5 : Ctrl + V (paste) and when asked to overwrite, click Yes

How do I restore the default thingies ?
Same procedure as when you want to use extra thingies, except this time you are looking for the folders with "DEFAULT" in the name in the extra folder.

Why ?
Is there a puush download?
CaptainAhab_old
Just wanted to say thanks for this skin; it is absolutely perfect for a minimalistic taiko experience. :)
Elisabeth-
Arigatouu gozaimasuuu!! :D
TheMusicDemon
Hello, glad to found this skin. It's so modern and very clean and the hitsounds are clear too (or its just me but lets go with the clear thing >.<). But I want to say that the 'perfect' scoring icon are not showing as I play, even in the results. I don't know if its the skin that doesn't support with my laptop or the other way around or anything in what matter. :?: Or may be its actually how it is... :oops:

Overall, I will get use to it. Thanks for making this. It's outstanding. :D
BXLrocks
I don't think I've ever posted on Osu's forum before lol. But, I wanted to thank you for making this skin. It's amazing, to say the least. I'm not an HD player but this skin makes me want to play HD XD Sorry for the rambling, but thanks again! :D