forum

Osu! and Repetitive Strain Injuries (how do we avoid them?)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Nub1

B1rd wrote:

when my starts hand hurting, I take a break for like 10 minutes, but then I'm just sitting there and the pink circle on my desktop beckons me to click it again.

so take advice from the best player
SPOILER

thelewa wrote:

PAIN IS ONLY A FEELING YOU CAN GET USED TO IT

and look what he suffer now
Vuelo Eluko

Ichi wrote:

1) True story, if you feel strain or pain make sure you follow that simple guide.
2) Don´t stress and do not stiffen up too much while playing
3) If some part of your body is hurting or uncomfortable try and change your positioning until you feel it stops, even if your gameplay skills decrease (you´ll get used to it eventually)
4) It´s just a game and not something worth hurting yourself in the long term, you probably love this game more than you do your hands now but in some years you´ll be wishing you didn´t.

Add that to your guide, and yes i suppose he´s trying to help people who are/have suffered some pain from playing the game and maybe believe that they will get used to it, uncomfortable is good and your body can get used to that, but pain is another thing SO STOP PLAYING IF YOU FEEL PAIN.
i dont think that guide is as effective for osu as it is for typing. i cant go as fast with the "right" angle as i can with the one on the bottom right.
ikzune
i think the one case i would work recommend working through the songs rather then quitting due to pain is with a marathon mania and more so for 4k then anything else, stamina training is generally needed at higher levels of osu mania ._. i understand that this is not directed at osumania however the topic question was generalised so i thought i would add this, as ichi had stated, in this game mode you want to try and play as relaxed as possible of course you can never be completely relaxed, this is more so important at the higher levels for managing fast patterns physically
Vuelo Eluko

laishiou wrote:

i think the one case i would work recommend working through the songs rather then quitting due to pain is with a marathon mania and more so for 4k then anything else, stamina training is generally needed at higher levels of osu mania ._. i understand that this is not directed at osumania however the topic question was generalised so i thought i would add this, as ichi had stated, in this game mode you want to try and play as relaxed as possible of course you can never be completely relaxed, this is more so important at the higher levels for managing fast patterns physically
it amazes me how much top stepmania players demolish their keyboard with the force of their taps when they play.
Ichi

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

i dont think that guide is as effective for osu as it is for typing. i cant go as fast with the "right" angle as i can with the one on the bottom right.
Of course it is... hand positioning in relation to the keyboard has only one meaning. It´s not an osu! speed tapping guide, its just a guide that lets you know how to place your hands correctly on a keyboard so if your typing or using it alot you won´t hurt yourself. And that´s why i said, changing a position won´t make you bettter, on the contrary you will feel slower but you have to know that the right position is worth giving up a bit of speed (which you´ll end up getting back when you get used to the change)

piruchan wrote:

Ichi wrote:

SO STOP PLAYING IF YOU FEEL PAIN.
^ Common sense. It's not like the pain is the beginning of a mutation process that will turn you into Cookiezi.
well you know the simplest things are sometimes the hardest to see... If it was such common sence then why do we have people suffering from hand strains over and over? i don´t think they where completely fine and the next day they suffered from carpal tunnel or whatever, you must go through alot of numbness and keep playing for that to happen.
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
thanks for input guys, updated op

note several quotes were slightly edited for grammatical clarity as I saw fit; please correct me if anything doesn't look right!
RaneFire

Ichi wrote:

Of course it is... hand positioning in relation to the keyboard has only one meaning. It´s not an osu! speed tapping guide, its just a guide that lets you know how to place your hands correctly on a keyboard so if your typing or using it alot you won´t hurt yourself. And that´s why i said, changing a position won´t make you bettter, on the contrary you will feel slower but you have to know that the right position is worth giving up a bit of speed (which you´ll end up getting back when you get used to the change)
Pretty much. Hand position does count, but as you get better at using it, you'll naturally figure out what you need to do to play well, and it's not always what you think (like using a bad posture).

Despite the topic name, this thread is mostly about keyboard & tablet posture. I really could use some tips about mouse clicking posture, since obviously I can't play that anymore due to finger joint issues that I've never been able to solve. I'm leaning towards the assumption that the damage is already done, so I've been taking a break from it for a long time now... Since March 2013 to be precise. I've tried playing mouse-only twice since then, for a day or 2, but always had the problem return quickly. I don't know how long I have to keep this up, but I'd appreciate some input in the meantime. I don't feel in a position to experiment at the moment.
DeletedUser_4329079
I suck at this game (1500pp lol) and I've already broken three keys because I smash my keyboard very hard when singletapping faster maps, what should I do?
I keep trying to not hit the keys too hard but I just can't control it, and I feel like I am going to screw up my fingers in a few months if I keep doing it. Should I give mech keyboards a try? Idk if the are softer or harder to use, but I've read they have some sort of tactile feedback which sounds quite useful.
On the other hand I don't have a lot of money and it would be a waste if it doesn't fix my problem. What do you think?
E m i

Default wrote:

I suck at this game (1500pp lol) and I've already broken three keys because I smash my leyboard really hard when singletapping faster maps, what should I do? I keep trying to not hit the keys too hard but I just can't control it, I feel like I am going to screw up my fingers in a few months. Should give mech keyboards a try? Idk if the are softer or harder to use, but I've read they have some sort of tactile feedback which sounds quite useful.
On the other hand I don't have a lot of money and it would be a waste if it doesn't fix my problem. What do you think?
they're more durable so your problem is theoretically fixed
most people consider them better
you can find the info on the internet
Yuudachi-kun
I used to feel pain when I played; then each day it seemed like it took longer and longer for the pain to come until eventually it didn't come at all.
Nathan
Always keep your hand stretched out, make sure you don't keep your hand stuck in one position for too long, sometimes I find myself doing that while playing in long sessions
lilelf29

Ichi wrote:

1) True story, if you feel strain or pain make sure you follow that simple guide.
2) Don´t stress and do not stiffen up too much while playing
3) If some part of your body is hurting or uncomfortable try and change your positioning until you feel it stops, even if your gameplay skills decrease (you´ll get used to it eventually)
4) It´s just a game and not something worth hurting yourself in the long term, you probably love this game more than you do your hands now but in some years you´ll be wishing you didn´t.

Add that to your guide, and yes i suppose he´s trying to help people who are/have suffered some pain from playing the game and maybe believe that they will get used to it, uncomfortable is good and your body can get used to that, but pain is another thing SO STOP PLAYING IF YOU FEEL PAIN.
Wtf that correct arm/wrist position is ridiculous. If I do that for more than 30 seconds I get pins and needles and my whole arm goes numb.
It's been that way for as long as I can remember and I don't see how it'd be any different for anyone else; how is that supposed to be the most suitable, what
-Atri-
Sometimes i put something soft under my arm / wrist, it might help
FrzR

Bauxe wrote:

If your hand hurts, stop fucking playing the game.

(I know you pretty much posted this, but its the main point. The amount of people who post going "MY HAND HURTS A LOT SHOULD I KEEP PLAYING??" is a bit ridiculous)
Inb4 masochism
E m i

lilelf29 wrote:

Wtf that correct arm/wrist position is ridiculous. If I do that for more than 30 seconds I get pins and needles and my whole arm goes numb.
It's been that way for as long as I can remember and I don't see how it'd be any different for anyone else; how is that supposed to be the most suitable, what

Wikipedia wrote:

Normal pressure of the carpal tunnel has been defined as a range of 2–10 mm, and wrist flexion increases this pressure 8-fold, while extension increases it 10-fold.
Xayne

Bauxe wrote:

If your hand hurts, stop fucking playing the game.

(I know you pretty much posted this, but its the main point. The amount of people who post going "MY HAND HURTS A LOT SHOULD I KEEP PLAYING??" is a bit ridiculous)
I would say the type of pain you are feeling determines the answer to this question. If it's just the burning pain you get after streaming for longer periods than you are accustomed to, I wouldn't tell someone to just stop playing from that. Pressing through that is how you build up more stamina in the first place. If someone were to stop immediately as soon as they felt that burn, the increase in stamina would be ridiculously slow. It's the same reason working out hurts. You're pushing your muscles beyond the point they are used to being pushed. However, when it comes to a point where the pain continues after a 20-30 second break, it's time to wrap up the playing session. At that point the muscles need to heal and rebuild, and when they do, BOOM. More stamina. Rinse and repeat.

Then there's the cramping and sharp pain. If it's that, yeah. Keep your ass away from the keyboard.

Just a side note this isn't directed at you. I'm sure you're more than aware on how building stamina works. Just kinda rambling on for those who would confuse the term "hurting" with all types of pain.
I Give Up
This: play more -> muscle damage -> take break -> tissue repair -> get skill.

And not this: play more -> muscle damage -> play more!? -> ligament/tendon damage -> get RSI.
Cladnic
Hello :)

My personal advice to avoid any injuries is to take small breaks when you play. This way you let your hands rest and regain their strength. The secound advice is to have your elbowes resing on something that is in the same height as your keyboard and your mouse/tablet. You should also try to relax while playing :)
pkhg
I've never experienced pain or something like that in my 5 years here.
i play a lot stream maps in a row everyday 'cause i really like to stream and usually i dont feel pain and when i get tired i only need like 1~2 mins to recover myself
maybe there's something is wrong with me :/
DeletedUser_4329079

pkhg wrote:

I've never experienced pain or something like that in my 5 years here.
i play a lot stream maps in a row everyday 'cause i really like to stream and usually i dont feel pain and when i get tired i only need like 1~2 mins to recover myself
maybe there's something is wrong with me :/
Nah, you are fine. Genetics is an important factor there; some people may get RSI quite easily while other people never get it even if they play more.
Dashesd
If ur feeling pain/hurt from playing this game. ..clearly means that your lacking exercise that involves your hands/arm
for being a hardcore gamer
E m i
ye no pain no gain
PatZar
oh i playing the wrong side
drum drum
don't necropost please