forum

Top o!m Mod Players

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
October Scream
So now that I have a working game capture and video editing program I can finally make videos for YouTube! I've had this idea for awhile, but I haven't been thinking about pitching it till now, so here's how it would work:

• Submit your list of 5 osu!mania players that you wanna vote for in the top 5 ladder. It's a small list because there aren't many mod users, don't worry though, there'll be a runner up section too. The order you put them in will be the amount of ladder points they'll get. (#5=1 point, #4=2 points, #3=3, #2=4, #1=5 points) Totals will be displayed in the final results video.
• The player you are voting MUST use a Hard mod for over 60% of their play time, be it ranked or not (excluding Sudden Death and Perfect due to being able to achieve either without it). Special mods (Random and Key Mod) are not excluded, nor are they considered as a Hard mod, so the player you're voting for can use those mods.
• When voting for the player, you must give the abbreviation of the mods they use. (For those who don't know them, HR=Hard Rock, FI=Fade In, HD=Hidden, FL=Flashlight, DT=Double Time, RD=Random, x(Being a variable of 4-8)K= Key mod of the amount of x.)
• The player cannot be in any of the statuses coming up: Gone for more than 3 months or has quit osu!.

A finished list should look something like this:

1. Staiain (DT, 4K)
2. FlashLightress (FL)
3. Quavio (HD)
4. momiq (HD)
5. Qnyxiie (FI)

When the top 5 have been decided, I'll message them and the runner ups, asking for them to send any replay(s) they want to display and will need to have a copy of their skin. I'll get a second tally buddy to help with this as well once it's all over. The voting will end on July 30th, 2014. I hope you all have fun with this!

PS: Please keep discussion to a minimum so you can give me and the buddy some space to tally. Thank you ^w^

Edits: Random is now an acceptable mod based off the opinions of multiple players.

And Qnyxiie will be helping with tallying, Staiain may do commentary if he wishes too.

Voting is open for 10 slots now that random is a choice as a mod. It opens the door wider. And the current way of voting seems silly, so I'm gonna chat with _Gezo_ about another way since he pitched an idea out in #osumania
ArcherLove
oh .. why not ?

1. Zeradok (HD + RD)
2. October Scream (FL)
3. Bobbias (FL)
4. Qnyxiie (FI)
5. momiq (HD)

HR mod no count ?

@Drace : I can't play with Vision mod :3
Envisionise
I'm pretty good at ez and nofail mod
Kamikaze
or I'd rather not
Pinecone
"Who's the best random player?"
- Yuuto -
wow there are momiq.
Ryu Sei

-Hazelnut wrote:

Count me in. At least on non-ET diffs.
akebono

Ryu Sei wrote:

-Hazelnut wrote:

zeradok.. lol ?
Pinecone
If that was a serious answer to my sarcastic question, you should read drace's post again.
Kamikaze
Probably not tho
btw, the voting's going crazy! top kek
Cuppp
Good read. This is what o!m is all about.

Ha.. haha.. hahahah
Vuelo Eluko
1. October Scream (FL)
2. October Scream (FL)
3. October Scream (FL)
4. October Scream (FL)
5. October Scream (FL)

FL = FriendsList btw

how did i have you added all this time and not see your crazy high mania rank
i thought you were just a mediocre standard player [like me]
Jin Xero
meanwhile in real mania communities...
Topic Starter
October Scream
ideu- can't play FL correctly.

Drace wants me to post a reason why this should be anything at all, so I'm giving out the big one.

ideu- was in a multiplayer lobby with me and other players and he wanted to play FL as a joke. So we play and a slowjam comes up, he fails first and everyone else passed him as he dropped down. This is saying that even the best can't mod.

I wanted to do this for fun, then Drace comes in saying its for bragging rights, so I've decided to let you guys decide. You can DQ me from being in the voting pool and give everyone else a good time if you all feel it necessary.
Drace
I'm having a hard time seeing point in making a video which compiles "tops players" that uses mods. Mods are used for many things and there's not much of a point in recognizing players based on the mods they use

FL, HD and SD are playstyles, not skills. You don't see players going around proud that they're playing with a lanecover (which is in theory the exact same thing). I don't see any players that necessarily feel using any of those 3 mods as an achievement unless they were doing for the sole purpose of impressing people.

And while were at it, no-mod is also a playstyle and I'm yet to see anyone distinguishably proud of it to the point of feeling the need to show it off.

There's also:
floating wrists vs resting wrists
standing vs sitting
low scroll speed vs high scroll speed
keyboard vs controller
thumb users vs pinkie users
symmetrical players vs asymmetrical players
vertical readers vs horizontal readers

The list goes on and on. All of these are things players are either better one way, or the other. Including those previously mentioned vision mods. What player's really care about, and I'm sure you do too, is the achievements they pull off. They don't think "Yes! I bested a standing player while sitting!", rather, they simply think "Yes! I bested my rival!". All players really care about is their end-results. So it'd most likely be best not to categorize players this way.

HR and DT are difficulty increasing mods, no one uses them for the sake of playstyle. They use them when the maps are too easy and need more of a challenge, or to handicap themselves when playing with lower level friends. For example, it'd be incorrect to identify Staiain as a "DT player", it's just nearly every song on here is simply too slow for him. He wouldn't be using DT if said songs were faster to begin with. Same with HR, it simply raises the HP and OD.

Random is something of it's own. It's probably not so apparent since it's unraked, but it's the most commonly used mod. I'm not exaggerating when I say o2jam players nearly use it 100% of the time, and most the top scores on LR2 are on random. All it does is switches the lanes around, and in return it makes the map a little easier or a little harder (most the time it's easier since it breaks up the patterns that were meant to be tricky). Asking who's the top random players is literally asking who's the top players in general.

With all that said, I'd say there's less nomod players than mod players if we consider all the mods and every vsrg.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, it's I honestly have a hard time seeing what is the point of categorizing players the way you did. It just seems wrong in general to do so.
akebono

-Hazelnut wrote:

If that was a serious answer to my sarcastic question, you should read drace's post again.
I'm serious \ :v / if you're not serious I'll kill yo :v ~

Drace wrote:

blablabla essay

There's also:
floating wrists vs resting wrists
standing vs sitting
low scroll speed vs high scroll speed
keyboard vs controller
thumb users vs pinkie users
symmetrical players vs asymmetrical players
vertical readers vs horizontal readers

blablabla essay
I lol'd XD great example .
Matader
Mania's community the best... <depressed> hurray...
Vuelo Eluko

Drace wrote:

it'd be incorrect to identify Staiain as a "DT player"
i disagree. thats like not calling someone a fast driver simply because everyone else is going slower. it's a relative term and it works.
standard also has many players that are acceptably identified by themselves and others as either "HDHR" or "DT" players.
I know people who perform better with DT than without they have played it so long, so at that point it can be considered a playstyle.
PyaKura
There is no such thing in mania. That's what I like about it. All mods are either for fun or to fit a player's playstyle, without gaining any score advantage/multiplier unlike the three other modes.
Drace

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Drace wrote:

it'd be incorrect to identify Staiain as a "DT player"
i disagree. thats like not calling someone a fast driver simply because everyone else is going slower. it's a relative term and it works.
standard also has many players that are acceptably identified by themselves and others as either "HDHR" or "DT" players.
I know people who perform better with DT than without they have played it so long, so at that point it can be considered a playstyle.
That's exactly my point. It's relative and has nothing to do with the actual mod itself. Staiain is a faster player, that's all there's to it. Pump out faster maps at his speed and he wouldn't DT them simply because he's a "DT player".
Vuelo Eluko

Drace wrote:

That's exactly my point. It's relative and has nothing to do with the actual mod itself. Staiain is a faster player, that's all there's to it. Pump out faster maps at his speed and he wouldn't DT them simply because he's a "DT player".
it's all relative. if HD was the norm and visible notes were a mod, they'd be visible players. but that isn't the case.
Drace
I actually mentioned that in my post, nomod is indeed a playstyle.

Where a playstyle and a difficulty increasing mod differs is apparent on harder maps. Lets say someone comes up with a ridiculous map up to Staiain's speed. That means he can't DT it since it's already up there in his speed limits to begin with. An FL player won't remvoe his FL mod because that's his playstyle, he plays better with FL on, taking it off will only handicap him. A nomod play won't randomly put a mod on because his playstyle is nomod, putting one on will only handicap him. And Staiain won't put DT on since it's not his playstyle and the map is already fast enough. He was only using DT since the other maps were simply too slow up to this point. He was making the stuff that was too easy for him, slightly harder.

Standard mode can't even compare to here since the mentality over there is completely different. The mods give a score bonus, of course players will play with them, it's literally a necessity to rank well on them. But even with this, I don't see any top scores on DT scores for Freedom Dive.
show more