forum

PP didn't budge despite nearly FCing an absolutely new song?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpiffdYouUp
After no-missing IOSYS - Cirno's Perfect Math Class (4.69 star) 92.51% (482/61/0/0) (795/799), my pp and rank did not change in game, nor did it change when I checked my osu profile here. I had never played this song ever before, so it's an entirely new addition to my 'Best Performances'. No matter what it replaces, it SHOULD give me a NET GAIN of pp.

However, it does show up in my 'Best Performances' and says I gained 93pp x 42% = 39pp

Since the pp system is being changed, I figured that the changes is causing my pp to not update.

I decided to test this idea by beating my lowest 'Best Performance' score. After doing so, I gained 1pp or something and then lost 300 rank.

I'm very confused as to why my pp and ranking wasn't updated after playing the IOSYS song, but it updated after the other song. My internet absolutely did not disconnect at any point of all of this. Was I cheated from my pp gained from the IOSYS?
Vuelo Eluko
your pp didnt update to reflect the new changes to pp calculations until you did that play [or you didnt notice it until that play] and the amount of pp it gave you was essentially the same as you lost.

at least thats my theory. either that or its just updating slow.

SpiffdYouUp wrote:

this isn't fair.
pls
Rewben2
Probably still updating.
Bauxe
You need to remember, although it says its worth 39PP, it pushes other songs down on the list (so they give less). As such, if you have a lot of songs around 93PP, which you do, its no real surprise that your PP gain was low.
RaneFire

Bauxe wrote:

You need to remember, although it says its worth 39PP, it pushes other songs down on the list (so they give less). As such, if you have a lot of songs around 93PP, which you do, its no real surprise that your PP gain was low.
Drives me nuts too sometimes, but this is how it is.

You have to outperform your current top performances to see any significant gains, not just equal ones in the middle of the list.
Mystrian_old
F5

Rewben2 wrote:

Probably still updating.
or it maybe this. I'm confused.
meteor22
people don't understand the concept of weighted scores
nrl

SpiffdYouUp wrote:

I had never played this song ever before, so it's an entirely new addition to my 'Best Performances'. No matter what it replaces, it SHOULD give me a NET GAIN of pp.
This isn't how it works. Because of the weighting system, only a certain number of your top scores give pp, and this number doesn't change. You'll only ever get pp from a map if it gives you enough pp to make it into that group of maps, and in doing that it will push every map below it in the list down a slot and knock the lowest map out of the list.

You do not gain pp just for playing a map anymore.

Alternatively, updating.
Dexus
People haven't caught on to play based on stars yet. Also DT is pp whore, I've done the math and checked a variety of maps and it's easier to get 300pp with DT+HD than HR+HD; No mod is pretty much impossible to get 300pp (You'd have to SS some of the hardest maps out there, Big Black SS gives 304pp, not that it's the hardest map or one of them it's just an example).

So some maps that are way easier than big black give 80% of the amount of pp with less work. Said maps can be done by people within the #3,000 rank range (Or higher). It just doesn't seem right.

As a side note you do get pp for just getting ranks on a bunch of maps, but it's pretty negligible. (Also you sometimes have to play a map afterwards to get the pp to update)
nrl

Dexus wrote:

Also DT is pp whore, I've done the math and checked a variety of maps and it's easier to get 300pp with DT+HD than HR+HD
Duh? DT is obviously a more extreme difficulty increase than HR.
winber1
because generally speed is more easily obtainable than hard rock
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

because generally speed is more easily obtainable than hard rock
depends on the degree doesnt it?
winber1
obviously 280BPM is harder to obtain than od 4 skills.

but in general to reach competent OD 10 (along with CS increase) skills can arguably more frustrating, perhaps even harder, to obtain than perfect streaming at like 230BPM or being able to play BPM170-180 maps with DT. Though this also depends on the person. Generally most people like playing DT since it seems more pro and its generally more exciting for people since more notes show up, rather HR, which deceivingly looks easier than it is.
Wishy
It just depends on the map, 200 BPM streamy maps on DT are just on a different league compared to their HR counterpart which is indeed hard but doable.

Meanwhile you got those TV Size songs that are ez on DT but might be hard on HR because OD 10.
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

obviously 280BPM is harder to obtain than od 4 skills.

but in general to reach competent OD 10 (along with CS increase) skills can arguably more frustrating, perhaps even harder, to obtain than perfect streaming at like 230BPM or being able to play BPM170-180 maps with DT. Though this also depends on the person. Generally most people like playing DT since it seems more pro and its generally more exciting for people since more notes show up, rather HR, which deceivingly looks easier than it is.
i like dt because i think most songs sound better sped up