forum

opsu! - an open-source osu! client (UNOFFICIAL)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
euphyy_old

PizzaLovers007 wrote:

This is working really great! I did notice the spinners were a little bit hard to finish. I think they are supposed to have some sort "weight" so they keep spinning for a little bit if you stop spinning the cursor.

Could I assist in the project? I'll try to help as much as I can.
Of course -- thanks for your interest! Please submit a pull request whenever you're ready, and feel free to discuss any changes you'd like to make beforehand (either here or by opening a GitHub issue).

I have no idea how the spinners are supposed to be done, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Doqtor Kirby
Aye, development has started again? Might try and run this again on my RPi

But I did get an error running on my main system:
Error while creating game container.
org.newdawn.slick.SlickException: Failed to initialise the LWJGL display
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.setup(AppGameContainer.java:378)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.Container.start(Container.java:62)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.Opsu.main(Opsu.java:160)

What did I break?

e~ I broke nothing, it's just my graphics are unsupported?
Topic Starter
euphyy_old

Doqtor Kirby wrote:

Might try and run this again on my RPi
It's not (currently?) supported by LWJGL. After doing some quick searches, it seems like people have managed to hack together something that works (see here), but I wouldn't count on the rest of the program running smoothly (or at all) on a Raspberry Pi.
chong601
Probably will work somehow on the latest Raspberry Pi 2? Those hardware upgrades *drools* :roll:
But yeah, making LWJGL working on Raspberry Pi gonna need to do a lot of hacking... especially when you want to have hardware acceleration
One side note, I am looking at the source code on the part of the layout of opsu!, it just doesn't feel right (some misaligned arrows, unusually giant score bars...) and see whether I can fix it using % rather than using some hacky offsetting or things that complicate things instead...
Doqtor Kirby

euphyy wrote:

Doqtor Kirby wrote:

Might try and run this again on my RPi
It's not (currently?) supported by LWJGL. After doing some quick searches, it seems like people have managed to hack together something that works (see here), but I wouldn't count on the rest of the program running smoothly (or at all) on a Raspberry Pi.
K. RPi. Not gonna happen as of now. But what about the problem running it on a Windows box?

Doqtor Kirby wrote:

Error while creating game container.
org.newdawn.slick.SlickException: Failed to initialise the LWJGL display
at org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer.setup(AppGameContainer.java:378)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.Container.start(Container.java:62)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.Opsu.main(Opsu.java:160)
Is this fixable, like, at all? Or will I need to go flesh out hundreds for a new graphics card?
Topic Starter
euphyy_old

chong601 wrote:

some misaligned arrows, unusually giant score bars...
The arrows should be working (mostly) as of the latest release, but I haven't figured out the scorebars -- there's a TODO note about it probably involving cropping the transparent parts off of the images and centering from there, though I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

Doqtor Kirby wrote:

Is this fixable, like, at all? Or will I need to go flesh out hundreds for a new graphics card?
It's not about a graphics card. LWJGL (the wrapper for OpenGL/OpenAL) doesn't compile for ARM processors (i.e. Raspberry Pi) without a good deal of hacking, which some people have attempted with varying success (and you can find these projects online). I wouldn't count on it working, though -- there are too many other areas where it could fail, even if you manage to get LWJGL working, and performance will probably be horrible.
Doqtor Kirby

euphyy wrote:

chong601 wrote:

some misaligned arrows, unusually giant score bars...
The arrows should be working (mostly) as of the latest release, but I haven't figured out the scorebars -- there's a TODO note about it probably involving cropping the transparent parts off of the images and centering from there, though I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

Doqtor Kirby wrote:

It's not about a graphics card. LWJGL (the wrapper for OpenGL/OpenAL) doesn't compile for ARM processors (i.e. Raspberry Pi) without a good deal of hacking, which some people have attempted with varying success (and you can find these projects online). I wouldn't count on it working, though -- there are too many other areas where it could fail, even if you manage to get LWJGL working, and performance will probably be horrible.
The question was not regarding my RPi, it was regarding my x86-based Windows tablet.

Sorry for the confusion,
chong601
OK, just looked around on the 0.5.0 release and I think enforcing block-style numbering (like in osu! where numbers adhere to the default skin width will actually make opsu! much more like osu! (max width of the number is 34 pixels)
Example
opsu! score appearance:

osu! score appearance:
Notice that the "1" in osu! is in the same width rather than following the actual image width
I would look into the source code thoroughly probably by the end of March and I probably can help with image offsets (and probably make opsu! adheres to skin.ini?)

EDIT:
uh....

EDIT2:
Probably the offset can be set back to 0 and then manually set -150 ms in the code? -150ms sounds like just like 0
Ignore that
FieryLight
Hey, I tried opsu! again recently and I'm still getting the same error:

Mon Feb 02 21:24:03 PST 2015 ERROR:Unable to determine Slick build number
Wed Feb 11 00:40:29 PST 2015 ERROR:Unable to determine Slick build number

^That was in the .opsu.log file.

BUT I noticed that I can actually use opsu!, I just can't see it. I can scroll to change the volume, I can click to go somewhere (not sure where but it worked), I could use the "back" button after I entered whatever I entered and I even managed to guess where the Exit button was to close opsu! (I had to guess because my cursor disappeared when hovering over it).

Anyway, here's screen shot of how it looks (or rather, doesn't look):

I'll try other .jars tomorrow to see if it's just my own thing

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I can hear the music too
chong601

FieryLight wrote:

Hey, I tried opsu! again recently and I'm still getting the same error:

Mon Feb 02 21:24:03 PST 2015 ERROR:Unable to determine Slick build number
Wed Feb 11 00:40:29 PST 2015 ERROR:Unable to determine Slick build number

^That was in the .opsu.log file.

BUT I noticed that I can actually use opsu!, I just can't see it. I can scroll to change the volume, I can click to go somewhere (not sure where but it worked), I could use the "back" button after I entered whatever I entered and I even managed to guess where the Exit button was to close opsu! (I had to guess because my cursor disappeared when hovering over it).

Anyway, here's screen shot of how it looks (or rather, doesn't look):

I'll try other .jars tomorrow to see if it's just my own thing

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I can hear the music too
My best bet is try updating your JREs...
I think that may be the issue...

EDIT:
Just found out that maps with ogg songs not playable on 32-bit JREs for Windows...
(probably due to the 32-bit JRE issue? They do have some memory limits set on 32-bit afaik)
I did get the stack trace printed:
Wed Feb 11 21:16:52 SGT 2015 ERROR:** Uncaught Exception! **
Wed Feb 11 21:16:52 SGT 2015 ERROR:Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.grow(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.ensureCapacity(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at org.newdawn.slick.openal.OggDecoder.getData(OggDecoder.java:315)
at org.newdawn.slick.openal.SoundStore.getOgg(SoundStore.java:835)
at org.newdawn.slick.openal.SoundStore.getOgg(SoundStore.java:793)
at org.newdawn.slick.Music.<init>(Music.java:163)
at org.newdawn.slick.Music.<init>(Music.java:75)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.audio.MusicController.loadTrack(MusicController.java:113)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.audio.MusicController.access$000(MusicController.java:44)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.audio.MusicController$1.run(MusicController.java:85)
The map will not play when this happens
Maps with MP3 songs is not affected on this
Maps affected (currently):
Oratorio The World God Only Knows - God only knows
Not playable on latest JRE 32-bit for Windows but playable on JRE 64-bit for Windows (not tested at Linux)
chong601
Sorry for double posting...

After a few plays on opsu!, I found that the hitsounds are some sort of silenced on certain maps (happens on random, some maps have none of this problem but it appears that fast maps have this problem) as well as those hitsounds sounded like delayed on fast maps.

By the way, I am looking at parsing the skin.ini so that opsu! will able to use skins as in like osu!... (still on progress... no idea when i can finish this since i am quite busy with work and rl stuff).

Other than that, everything is going well in opsu! :D
EZ2ACTux
Interersting. An open source version of the game... Pretty cool really because it allows for this version to go down a completely different route to the official version. I may take a peek at the source code at some point. What language is it written in again?
chong601

Tuxdude143 wrote:

Interersting. An open source version of the game... Pretty cool really because it allows for this version to go down a completely different route to the official version. I may take a peek at the source code at some point. What language is it written in again?
written in Java using Slick2D and LWJGL, wrappers around the OpenGL and OpenAL libraries.
EZ2ACTux

chong601 wrote:

Tuxdude143 wrote:

written in Java using Slick2D and LWJGL, wrappers around the OpenGL and OpenAL libraries.
Eh... Java. One of the languages I ain't got any experience in. Ah well.
chong601

Tuxdude143 wrote:

Eh... Java. One of the languages I ain't got any experience in. Ah well.
neither do i... i do have some java knowledge but i never touched those with GUI yet...
Topic Starter
euphyy_old
Release: v0.6.0
Lots of major updates again, and thanks to everyone who contributed! Here's a summary of the changes:
  1. Audio: MP3s in beatmaps are now streamed instead of converted (finally!). Also improved sound effect loading, and added preliminary MP3 support for them.
  2. UI: Added new menus -- game mods (F1), beatmap options (F3), beatmap deletion, song reloading (F5), score management -- and made a lot of changes in the song menu and gameplay. These include fixes to long-standing bugs like misaligned scorebars, missing rotation and fade effects, poor aspect ratios, etc. Check it out!
  3. Other: Spinners are now "weighted"; the beatmap downloader detects songs that are already loaded; added hit error bar; fixed issues with the image loader; and many other updates (see the release notes for details).

chong601 wrote:

Score digits are now fixed-width, and scorebars are fixed. There's still no parser for skin.ini, though. I didn't look at the memory issues either, but let me know if anything's changed in this release. Hitsounds are a known issue, no idea how to fix it.

FieryLight wrote:

Are you still experiencing this? (The errors in the log file don't mean anything, so I have no idea what could be wrong.)

Tuxdude143 wrote:

If you can program in other languages, it shouldn't be too hard to read the source code for this (Java is very readable, imo :P). It's my first real project, so there's nothing fancy happening anywhere, really.
FieryLight

euphyy wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

Are you still experiencing this? (The errors in the log file don't mean anything, so I have no idea what could be wrong.)
Yep, unfortunately.

Other .jar's work fine though (I actually wasted quite a bit of time "checking" with a tetris clone xD)
opsu works fine on my laptop though (though I don't use that to play so.. :| )
chong601
Issue: MP3 sound effects no longer works
Affects: opsu! 0.6.0
Previous working version: opsu! 0.5.0

Stack trace:
Mon Feb 23 20:32:30 SGT 2015 ERROR:Failed to load file 'D:\opsu\Skins\applause.mp3'.
Mon Feb 23 20:32:30 SGT 2015 ERROR:could not get audio input stream from input URL
javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: could not get audio input stream from input URL
at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(Unknown Source)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.audio.SoundController.loadClip(SoundController.java:86)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.audio.SoundController.init(SoundController.java:199)
at itdelatrisu.opsu.states.Splash$1.run(Splash.java:108)
Mon Feb 23 20:32:47 SGT 2015 ERROR:Failed to load file 'D:\opsu\Skins\combobreak.mp3'.
Mon Feb 23 20:32:47 SGT 2015 ERROR:could not get audio input stream from input URL
javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: could not get audio input stream from input URL
Mon Feb 23 20:32:48 SGT 2015 ERROR:Failed to load file 'D:\opsu\Skins\failsound.mp3'.
Mon Feb 23 20:32:48 SGT 2015 ERROR:could not get audio input stream from input URL
Mon Feb 23 20:32:50 SGT 2015 ERROR:Failed to load file 'D:\opsu\Skins\sectionfail.mp3'.
Mon Feb 23 20:32:50 SGT 2015 ERROR:could not get audio input stream from input URL
Mon Feb 23 20:32:51 SGT 2015 ERROR:Failed to load file 'D:\opsu\Skins\sectionpass.mp3'.
Mon Feb 23 20:32:51 SGT 2015 ERROR:could not get audio input stream from input URL

euphyy wrote:

1. Audio: MP3s in beatmaps are now streamed instead of converted (finally!). Also improved sound effect loading, and added preliminary MP3 support for them.
*heavy breathing*
No delay in any song loading (even on 52 min map :O )

euphyy wrote:

1. UI: Added new menus -- game mods (F1), beatmap options (F3), beatmap deletion, song reloading (F5), score management -- and made a lot of changes in the song menu and gameplay. These include fixes to long-standing bugs like misaligned scorebars, missing rotation and fade effects, poor aspect ratios, etc. Check it out!
Sweeeeeeeeeet <3<3<3
Now it actually looked almost osu! now o_o
But, the slider loading is a bit weird... It used to have all loaded in once but now the number comes in first and the whole slider finally becomes opaque after a moment later...

euphyy wrote:

1. Other: Spinners are now "weighted"; the beatmap downloader detects songs that are already loaded; added hit error bar; fixed issues with the image loader; and many other updates (see the release notes for details).
HIT ERROR BAR?!?!?!?!?!?!
HOLY SHEET THIS IS WHAT I WANT LOL (i have my own version inbuilt though, text version only, will show the last 5 clicks but it is very off compared to this one)
Topic Starter
euphyy_old

FieryLight wrote:

What kind of system are you using? LWJGL is supposed to support almost everything though, so I'm really confused as to why it wouldn't work for you on a Windows PC... x.x

chong601 wrote:

Issue: MP3 sound effects no longer works
Previous working version: opsu! 0.5.0

[...]

But, the slider loading is a bit weird... It used to have all loaded in once but now the number comes in first and the whole slider finally becomes opaque after a moment later...
MP3 sound effects weren't even being loaded until this release. Did you make your own changes to load them before? And can you link me to an example of a file that doesn't work now?

The sliders should really be drawn offscreen first, yeah. I'll look into it when I have time.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post issues on GitHub instead? It'll make it much easier for me to keep track of them -- thanks!
AGRX
will opsu support @2x (HD) resolution files?
FieryLight

euphyy wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

What kind of system are you using? LWJGL is supposed to support almost everything though, so I'm really confused as to why it wouldn't work for you on a Windows PC... x.x
I'm not sure.. does this help with anything?
Steffie
Do you have to use the set skin?
Or can you use your own?
Because i literally cannot play with any other skin than my own :P
Topic Starter
euphyy_old

euphyy wrote:

The sliders should really be drawn offscreen first, yeah. I'll look into it when I have time.
So I tried doing this, but without any satisfactory results. I made a couple of tweaks in 4f0f093 so that the fading doesn't look quite as bad, but it's still not great.

Agrrox wrote:

will opsu support @2x (HD) resolution files?
It's on my to-do list, but honestly I don't know if I'll get to it. It's very tedious to fix all the broken image scales when loading the HD images...

FieryLight wrote:

I'm not sure.. does this help with anything?
Sorry, this is really beyond me. x.x

Stefive wrote:

A "Skins" folder is created in the working directory when you launch opsu!. You can drop any files in there, and they'll be loaded the next time the application starts.
Steffie
A "Skins" folder is created in the working directory when you launch opsu!. You can drop any files in there, and they'll be loaded the next time the application starts.
Okay, thanks! :)
AGRX

Stefive wrote:

euphyy wrote:

So you place image files in the root of Skins folder ? I was putting there skin folder inside of it and it will not register.
So basically it loads every image that is in Skins folder?
Topic Starter
euphyy_old

Agrrox wrote:

So you place image files in the root of Skins folder ?
Yeah. I haven't worked on skin switching yet, and there's no parser for skin.ini either. If you just want to load a specific skin located elsewhere, you could change the skin directory path in the config file for now.
AGRX
Also I have interest of making skin for opsu! I have skills with bitmap/vector graphics.
Topic Starter
euphyy_old
Updates:
So fluddokt has been working on an Android port of opsu! for a while now, and the latest version is pretty stable. I think it's way better than osu!droid, so check it out! You can download the APK here: https://github.com/fluddokt/opsu/releases/tag/0.6.0b (Note that since opsu! wasn't designed with mobile in mind, the UI isn't very phone-friendly yet, but just about everything works.)

I've also put up a pretty minimal web page for the project that includes download links (including the APK, if you're on a mobile device) and screenshots: http://itdelatrisu.github.io/opsu/ (I'll probably update it some more soon so that it's actually useful and not just a copy of the README.)

Agrrox wrote:

Also I have interest of making skin for opsu! I have skills with bitmap/vector graphics.
That'd be fantastic! I sent you a PM.
xasuma
Damn!!!! Im pumped for the android version.
XinCrin
For android version , could be cool to make a improved UI.

Keep doing a great job :D
chong601

euphyy wrote:

MP3 sound effects weren't even being loaded until this release. Did you make your own changes to load them before? And can you link me to an example of a file that doesn't work now?

If it's not too much trouble, could you post issues on GitHub instead? It'll make it much easier for me to keep track of them -- thanks!
Yeah, just noticed this when i run back 0.5.0, none of the .MP3 hitsounds were played. But, in 0.5.0, all mp3 hitsounds are ignored by default, but on 0.6.0, all of them are rendered even if they aren't supported.

Sliders... well not a big issue though, just weird that numbers show up first then followed by the whole slider... just feels a bit unnatural for me...

Github... currently i don't have an account for that but will do that on the future issues found :D

Extra notes:
This map will not play on opsu! 0.6.0. It just hangs when trying to play that map (Happens as well on 0.5.0)

About the hitsound issues, I found out that it's related to the way the WAV files are created... If i play opsu! with the preloaded hitsounds, it works (but sometimes it will be silenced). When I use the osu! default hitsound, it just happens a lot... possibly due to the WAV parsing when setting the parameters in javax.sound.sampled? (only optimized to the preloaded hitsounds).

euphyy wrote:

Updates:
So fluddokt has been working on an Android port of opsu! for a while now, and the latest version is pretty stable. I think it's way better than osu!droid, so check it out! You can download the APK here: https://github.com/fluddokt/opsu/releases/tag/0.6.0b (Note that since opsu! wasn't designed with mobile in mind, the UI isn't very phone-friendly yet, but just about everything works.)

I've also put up a pretty minimal web page for the project that includes download links (including the APK, if you're on a mobile device) and screenshots: http://itdelatrisu.github.io/opsu/ (I'll probably update it some more soon so that it's actually useful and not just a copy of the README.)
>Android port of opsu!
*breathing intensifies*
I just checked it out, and HORY SHET IT WORKS (wasted almost half of the day playing around with it and get nagged by the manager at my workplace xD)
Everything is handled well, hitsounds works without any issues (even if the base is Linux)
Just the spinner is a bit too harsh to clear (opsu! does suffer from this but appears to be more forgiving than the Android version)
FPS is good; 57-59 all the way.
Howl

euphyy wrote:

Updates:
LIVING THE DREAM
Bebos
Android version doesn't work for my nexus 4, its just show black screen.
- Marco -
onle little problem on opsu-android, if i ssearch for a beatmap it shows the keyboard but i can't type anything
xasuma
If these things im about to mention are already in the game, sorry but I couldnt find them (and havent read all release notes).
Anyways I think it would be good to look into them.

- Disable mouse/pen clicks. (So people who drag the pen can properly play).
- Check the skinable sounds, with the default skin not all hitsounds work. Leaving some "noiseless" notes. (Also the option to change skins) :D
- The options menu is in a weird un-intuitive spot. (this is not important though actually).

other than that is looking much better than before!
EZ2ACTux
Opsu droid completely carks and doesn't boot at all on my moto g 2014. It just boots straight to a black screen. I'm running pac-rom for the moto g 2014 based off android 5.0 lollipop. Don't tell me that you didn't program it for ART properly?
chong601
Opsu-Android works on stock Android 4.4.2 with modifications to run any app using ART rather than Dalvik
I don't think modified android will make it unrunnable (and the game is actually written in Java and uses libGDX to make it Android-compatible)
Paraphen
Yeah I'm thinking there might be an ART issue here, my nexus 5 running 5.0.1 is booting to a black screen :(
EZ2ACTux

[Kevlin] wrote:

Yeah I'm thinking there might be an ART issue here, my nexus 5 running 5.0.1 is booting to a black screen :(
Eh... That's a bit silly. They really need to fix this up
Topic Starter
euphyy_old
Guys, please start posting the error logs, as these aren't issues that fluddokt or I can reproduce. If you're having the black screen problem, you can follow the issue on GitHub (and perhaps add more information, if the fixes don't work for you): https://github.com/fluddokt/opsu/issues/1 fluddokt is handling the Android stuff pretty much singlehandedly at the moment, so if you have any experience with Android development, I'm sure he'd love your help.

Also, if anyone wants to try deploying his fork to iOS, please give it a shot! I don't have any Apple devices so I can't try it myself, but libGDX should make this doable without much effort. Read here: https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/wiki/D ... loy-to-ios

xasuma wrote:

- Disable mouse/pen clicks. (So people who drag the pen can properly play).
I'll add an option for disabling mouse clicks shortly. I don't really know how to handle pen input in Slick2D (or if it's possible), and I don't have anything to test it with, sorry. x.x

chong601 wrote:

But, in 0.5.0, all mp3 hitsounds are ignored by default, but on 0.6.0, all of them are rendered even if they aren't supported.
[...]
This map will not play on opsu! 0.6.0. It just hangs when trying to play that map (Happens as well on 0.5.0)
[...]
Just the spinner is a bit too harsh to clear (opsu! does suffer from this but appears to be more forgiving than the Android version)
Thanks for all the feedback! The issue with sounds being cut off should be mostly fixed now (thanks to fluddokt, again), so try compiling the latest source if you're interested. fluddokt also fixed an issue with the new sliders, so that map should work now (it was infinite looping before). I also noticed the spinner issue on Android, as my FPS goes down dramatically (to 20-30) during them... not sure why yet, though. Lastly, I'm still not sure why you're having MP3 loading problems -- could you link to a file that doesn't load?

marcostudios wrote:

onle little problem on opsu-android, if i ssearch for a beatmap it shows the keyboard but i can't type anything
I don't know why that'd happen; try reporting it on fluddokt's GitHub?

XinCrin wrote:

For android version , could be cool to make a improved UI.
I'd love to, but I don't think anyone has time right now... UI is too painful to write in Slick2D. xD That's a really cool looking design, though!
show more