forum

Always Dashing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fruggline
I'm thinking of getting into CtB and it seems like too much of a hassle to actually control your dash. If you always hold it in I'm sure you could learn to handle all situations more easily in the end. Thoughts?
YERTI
if you keep your dash button on all the time its really inaccurate trust me..
Topic Starter
Fruggline
However if you built your muscle memory that way, it should ultimately be superior right?
YERTI
if you want, though i dont recommend it
Topic Starter
Fruggline

YERTI wrote:

if you want, though i dont recommend it
Got any tips for a beginner then?
YERTI
just start practicing the dash
DxNightwave
just holding dash is not a good idea :/, though i commend you for practicing it
yxn
Good luck with DT.
autofanboy
just playstyle problem

if you are good at just holding dash and move, you can use it well
but mostly we would recommend just using dash when you need (like hyperdashes)
Kurokami
Don't hold your dash. You will get misses at continous HDashes and/or where HDash occur but you have a small distance and requires inmediate stop. Trust me, it won't work in a way you want. Just keep pressing it and play maps with many HDash using Halftime.
Yukiteru Amano

Fruggline wrote:

I'm thinking of getting into CtB and it seems like too much of a hassle to actually control your dash. If you always hold it in I'm sure you could learn to handle all situations more easily in the end. Thoughts?

Like in Standard where you have to learn how to stream, you need to learn how to dash. Dashing and dash alternating is something you need to learn in CTB :)
Granger

Yukiteru Amano wrote:

Fruggline wrote:

Like in Standard where you have to learn how to stream, you need to learn how to dash. Dashing and dash alternating is something you need to learn in CTB :)
...dash alternalting? Wut?

I hear that for the first time.

Annyways, always dash doesnt really work, OP, just try it for a song and you'll realize.
Yukiteru Amano
Idk what to call it granger xD alternating is incorrect but maybe like spamming? I am not sure how to say it xD
ZHSteven
Try to play with relax mod on, then you will know why almost everyone disagree with you -.-

personally I think this is a wonderful way of improvement if you can master it.
PhTom
Don't use always the dash, just learn when you must dash / quick-dash / long-dash and learn to plya with red glowing fruits
Granger

Yukiteru Amano wrote:

Idk what to call it granger xD alternating is incorrect but maybe like spamming? I am not sure how to say it xD
Forgot to reply... I think i know what you mean, wouldnt snapping be a better name there?

Its the same as the snapping as in std, really. Move onto the next note/fruit long before you actually need to click/catch the note.

Yosumin wrote:

Good luck with DT.
Yuuribo
err,i tell you,holding on to dash button the whole time is a huge pain in the arse
when i was practicing with dashes,i first started with slow maps,and TV SIZE length
later on i got used to it

good luck with doubletime if you keep on doing that by the way
Granger

Yuuribo wrote:

good luck with doubletime if you keep on doing that by the way
Well, theoretically this would make it easier to get used to the speed (assuming you dont always dash when using DT) but the fact that you didnt learn when to dash and when not would screw you over.
Senyo
Horrible idea. The point of Catch the Beat is you have two fixed speeds (as opposed to standard where you can have up to [infinitesimal number here] speed due to how fast you can control cursor etc.,). Having two fixed speeds means you should use them to your advantage as opposed to sticking with one. Let's give an example here. If you have a stream going at 2cm persecond to the right and dashing gives you (theoretically) 5cm per second, then you will be standing still and tapping right arrow key while holding shift, whereas you can just hold right arrow key and get the job done with minimal keystrokes.

Now if the entire map was moving at 5cm per second, then yes this would be more effective to always be dashing. This isn't the case. Therefore, holding shift is almost always strictly inferior unless you're playing a ridiculously old map mapped by Verdi.

I left out exception of Hyper fruits as their speeds are no longer fixed and now have certain variables which affects how fast the ryuta / catcher / platter goes.