forum

How to improve with a mouse/how pp works

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
niquer123
Hello, I have been playing osu for a liittle over 3 years now and yes i am still shitty at this game. I've treated this game very casually and ended up getting rank 40 000 (which i was very proud of) even though it's not very high. After that i took a long break and i'm wondering how to get my rank back up. I'm a very competitive player and I'm thinking about making this game my main game and not a casual game anymore, so in depth information about the subject would be appreciated. I thought about making another account, but I just found out it's not allowed so I'll be sticking on this one.

a fellow osu player-

Edit: I'm playing without a mousepad ( wondering if it's good/bad)
Noobsicle
t/99612 read this thoroughly

do your research (google pls) and get a decent optical gaming mouse. or invest in a cheap tablet (believe me, any tablet would be fine, just get the cheapest you can find) if you believe mouse is too hard for you

as for mouse pads, it depends what surface your desk is (e.g glass and marble are horrible, you'd need a mouse pad, wood may be fine but really, just move your mouse around and see if it jitters on the screen). razer goliathus control, steelseries qck etc are decent enough for osu!, and are pretty common to find in most computer-related stores

windows sensitivity 6/11, osu! sensitivity 1.0x, dpi around 800-1600 (lowest is best for precise aim, however requires more effort), mouse acceleration off if you want to get the most optimal mouse aimingthingyness settings

download a crapload of beatmaps and F2 all day and play a variety of maps
Topic Starter
niquer123
i use raw input so i shouldn't have to worry about anything else than osu settings right?

I dropped my sensitivity from 4.0 to 2.

I have a razer naga 2013
I'll trying playing with a mousepad

thanks a lot for the advice !! it really does help a lot keep them going

i'll make sure to read that link thoroughly, thanks again.
Noobsicle
depends on your mouse, some mice have acceleration built-in to the sensors so enabling raw input doesn't do much for them

okay naga 2013 should be fine, it would be worth investing in a mouse pad as you may achieve smoother/faster mouse movement
B1rd
yeah raw input ignores windows settings, but it's best to have your windows settings at 6/11 and pointer precision off so you have the same sensitivity on your desktop as well as osu!
Topic Starter
niquer123
I have a good mousepad, I think.However I feel like I'd need a really big one to have my sens at 1, so I'm going to go buy a bigger one later when i switch to 1.0.

You both have been a GREAT help thanks for the answers Senpaitachi :)!

Edit: is 1.0 still good with raw input on? and is it wrong to use mouse left click and x as clicking boutons ?

It hasn't even been 10 mins and i beat 3 highscore already !!!
Vuelo Eluko

niquer123 wrote:

I have a good mousepad, I think.However I feel like I'd need a really big one to have my sens at 1, so I'm going to go buy a bigger one later when i switch to 1.0.

You both have been a GREAT help thanks for the answers Senpaitachi :)!

Edit: is 1.0 still good with raw input on? and is it wrong to use mouse left click and x as clicking boutons ?

It hasn't even been 10 mins and i beat 3 highscore already !!!
just increase your DPI if you don't have enough room to play without 1.0. It's really preferable to use 1.0 in game.
Dexus
800 dpi is all you need really
Topic Starter
niquer123
Well those advices really helped so thanks to this awesome community !
Noobsicle

niquer123 wrote:

yep, leave raw input on. as for mouse click as K1 and x as K2: it's difficult to pull off, PeaChick is the only top player that does this i think. just do whatever you find fun, but it doesn't hurt to learn both z/x and click/x
Dexus
Tobe style? There's a couple players that do it, PeaChick is just the most notable.
B1rd
play how is most comfortable for you, playing with mouse clicks+keyboard taps is definitely viable. as mentioned, PeaChick does and he's a very high ranking player.

the best and most precise way to modify sensitivity is to have windows pointer speed at 6/11, osu! sensitivity at 1.0x and just modify the dpi of the mouse. A good sensitivity is somewhere under around 2000 (depending on screen resolution)

I'd recommend you get a different mouse if you want to play seriously, a mouse designed for MMOs isn't the best, and laser mice are inferior to optical mice.
Dexus
if you use raw input the windows speed setting gets ignored.
Topic Starter
niquer123
I recently came across the palm versus claw grip and was wondering what most of you guys were using ? do the pros use the claw grip ?
Bauxe

niquer123 wrote:

I recently came across the palm versus claw grip and was wondering what most of you guys were using ? do the pros use the claw grip ?
Play how you find it more comfortable. Everyone plays different, even the 'pros'.
Noobsicle
it's preference

just do whatever you find most comfortable/able to move easily. i find palm easier to control though, claw feels pretty unnatural for me

you forgot about fingertip grip as well, try that out
kasdeya

B1rd wrote:

A good sensitivity is somewhere under around 2000 (depending on screen resolution)
2000 dpi.. lmao