forum

Controlling double tapping or learning single tapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zignide
Hello.

I already made a post time ago talking about improving tapping speed, but right now I got a doubt about what i should focus on.

The thing right now is, if I try quick songs (around 4,5 stars for me), I can kind of keep up if i use 2 keys constantly - as long as they dont put too many streams in it, at which point I just mess up double tapping because of having to suddenly switch rhythm-

However I can't tap quick enough with just one key for most of the song.

And playing slower songs with just one key feels quite boring.

So my doubt basically is, if I want to improve, what should i do? Learn to adapt to the rhythm using both keys all time? Or keep training with one key only until I need just that one for the longest part of quick songs?

I still can't really do quick streams well even with 2 keys though ;-;

I would learn to single tap, but the maps for my single tapping speed are just so slow and controlling the mouse doesn't really feel like a challenge on them anymore.

So I kinda want to know if double tapping all time can be viable later on as well.
B1rd
what do you mean by quick songs? The star rating is irrelevant, the important thing in determining single tapping speed required is BPM. I think most people have trouble singletapping starting around 210-220BPM.
Noobsicle
sounds like your fingers aren't used to tapping fast, hence relying on alternating to compensate the lack of speed

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/66303 play this song (insane difficulty) singletapping only and tell me if you find it difficult/easy
Oskur
Some people alternate all the time and they're really good at the game. Most people single and switch to alternating only during streams.

It's a preference, but tapping can actually be really affected by what kind of keyboard you have (I can't play properly on a rubberdome keyboard without feeling uncomfortable) and how fast you can mash they keyboard. All single tapping is is jackhammering a single button to the beat of a song, so it just takes time practicing it (and not going back to alternating while you are practicing) to get accustomed to it.

But like I said, it's a personal preference, you're not going to keel over and die if you just stick to alternating.
Topic Starter
Zignide

B1rd wrote:

what do you mean by quick songs? The star rating is irrelevant, the important thing in determining single tapping speed required is BPM. I think most people have trouble singletapping starting around 210-220BPM.
240 bpm on the one I'm having trouble right now, though I tend to have trouble around 200 bpm already.

Noobsicle wrote:

sounds like your fingers aren't used to tapping fast, hence relying on alternating to compensate the lack of speed

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/66303 play this song (insane difficulty) singletapping only and tell me if you find it difficult/easy
I actually found it rather easy to tap at that speed, though what often happens when around that speed is that if I time one note badly, since i cant tap faster I time all next notes wrong as well, making me instantly lose songs so many times, or drop my accuracy really hard o.o

Oskur wrote:

Some people alternate all the time and they're really good at the game. Most people single and switch to alternating only during streams.

It's a preference, but tapping can actually be really affected by what kind of keyboard you have (I can't play properly on a rubberdome keyboard without feeling uncomfortable) and how fast you can mash they keyboard. All single tapping is is jackhammering a single button to the beat of a song, so it just takes time practicing it (and not going back to alternating while you are practicing) to get accustomed to it.

But like I said, it's a personal preference, you're not going to keel over and die if you just stick to alternating.
Never seen anyone do it o.o
I just dont know if it's worth the time to learn to single tap faster, alternating makes me able to keep up with quicker songs, and so it makes it more fun I'd say
-even though I still lose 99% times on them xD-

I'm just trying to push myself to the limit of what I can do rather than overplaying easy maps as I used to dont' even dare checking my historical >.>, and it feels like single tapping is just holding me back so far.
B1rd
Oh lol you made it sound like you couldn't singletap 160 BPM or something. Your singletapping speed is perfectly fine. But the thing I'd like to ask at the moment is why the hell are you trying to do 240 BPM!? you have 700pp, you don't need to worry about anything over 200BPM until idk, 2kpp maybe.

240 BPM is getting into the realm of spaced streams, even 'singletappers' have to alternate to do really high BPM. It's not like anyone can singletap Scarlet Rose.
Topic Starter
Zignide
Because it's fuun ;-;

Aand I'm kinda tired of trying to FC songs for pp, sometimes I'll be tense, miss a note, calm down and complete it with a random miss halfway, which is sooo annoying >.>

I just like songs with a quick rhythm, not only to play, but to listen as well, and I just can't really do those with single tapping.

Also advantages i got so far with double tapping

-My accuracy increases if the rhythm is continued
-It lets me focus more on moving the mouse properly
-I can catch up if I mess up
-I don't have trouble when sliders are one after another

But at the same time, I just can't quite do streams on those songs, and I'm not sure if I will be able to learn to tap quick enough as i would with single tapping.

The song of 240 bpm, I honestly don't think I'll be able to complete it for a long while, but with single tapping i can't really do anything at all when the actual song starts, however all people on the top ranks seem to single tap it o.o

The examples of how I do with each on that song:
SPOILER
Single tapping:

Double tapping:
Noobsicle
alternate if you're comfortable with it, there's no right or wrong way to tap

on maps like kokou no sousei, i find it easier to alternate through the single notes simply because my single tapping speed sucks and i get stuck on incoming streams because of my crappy single tapping speed

http://news.ppy.sh/post/56949145760/clicking-styles

the last paragraph should answer your original question
VoidnOwO

B1rd wrote:

It's not like anyone can singletap Scarlet Rose.
wat
xasuma
Actually it doesn't matter what you choose to do. Both have potential.
At this point in your osu career just playing and not worrying will probably help you the most.
B1rd

BRBP wrote:

B1rd wrote:

It's not like anyone can singletap Scarlet Rose.
wat
there are people who can singletap the equivalent of a 160bpm stream?
VoidnOwO
:)
GoldenWolf

B1rd wrote:

there are people who can singletap the equivalent of a 160bpm stream?
didn't happystick have a liveplay of him singletapping that 320bpm map from saten or something
Noobsicle
i wish i could singletap 160 bpm :(

B1rd
huh I had no idea people could do that
...maybe I should stop trying to give advice when I don't know what I'm talking about
Topic Starter
Zignide
Me neither o.o
Are you sure he's human?

By the way, noticed he has the keyboard on a strange position and he doesnt seem to be actually tapping z or x, plus he moves the hand on a weird way to tap the keys o.o
Is that a thing some people do? or just personal playstyle?
Also what is it exactly? can't see it too well xD
Noobsicle
assuming his desk is small, he probably moved the right side of his keyboard higher to give more space for his mouse, also giving him space to rest his tapping arm/wrist on the desk when using keys closer to the right side of the keyboard (i could be entirely wrong)

it's mostly a comfort thing
AegisFTW

B1rd wrote:

huh I had no idea people could do that
...maybe I should stop trying to give advice when I don't know what I'm talking about
It's quite easy for me to single tap up to stupidly large speeds that sometimes reach 360 or 400 BPM(Mostly in bursts, nothing longer than 10 notes), but I find it useless for me to do because I alternate, my aim does not work any better for single tapping for some reason...I just don't feel the rhythm as much. I also found out that single tap speed pretty has no relation to stream speed since although I can burst stream pretty high, I can't death stream anything that is 210 and above.

Maybe once I get rid of this stupid membrane keyboard I won't need to bottom out for my taps anymore...
otoed1

Zignide wrote:

Aand I'm kinda tired of trying to FC songs for pp
Kind of off topic but... FCing A song gives you more PP?
Rewben2

otoed1 wrote:

Zignide wrote:

Aand I'm kinda tired of trying to FC songs for pp
Kind of off topic but... FCing A song gives you more PP?
Yes, your highest full combo is a factor of how much pp you get. Pretty huge too, if you get half of the max combo as your full combo (500 combo on a song with 1000 potential combo for example) your pp given will be nearly halved.
Kaeru
People can most definitely single tap Scarlet Rose. I personally find it much more pleasurable to alternate everything and I have been doing so since my early days. I can choose to single tap whenever I feel like it (single tappers usually find it difficult to alternate but I've never had any trouble single tapping after learning how to alternate). Sometimes I purposely single tap parts of songs though to try to maintain control (for instance, slower stacked notes).
Topic Starter
Zignide
Aand i jumped a message

Noobsicle wrote:

alternate if you're comfortable with it, there's no right or wrong way to tap

on maps like kokou no sousei, i find it easier to alternate through the single notes simply because my single tapping speed sucks and i get stuck on incoming streams because of my crappy single tapping speed

http://news.ppy.sh/post/56949145760/clicking-styles

the last paragraph should answer your original question
I didn't really know alternate was a thing, never seen anyone do it on any replay o.o

Also the style I go for isn't really full alternate if that means I use both just the same number of times, I tend to reset to X whenever theres a tiny pause, and well, in quick songs it's more instinctively, but i do favor my X finger since I noticed I'm able to tap faster with it than with Z for some reason.

On a sidenote, feeling quite dumb for the way people tend to know so many popular beatmaps and I haven't ever heard of Scared Rope o.o
darwinonanime
rf
Sugar_owo

darwinonanime wrote:

rf
hello and please don't necro a 7 year old thread ^^