forum

2014 The Golden Age Of Anime?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ayachi-

piruchan wrote:

Please avoid double posting, you can put multiple quotes in a single post.

As for the topic, I won't say anything yet because the year is not over. Also, winter of 2014 is boring (I can't believe that I have Sakura Trick as top priority). Spring is better, No Game No Life and Black Bullet are nice. And it looks like there are some good stuff for summer. Fall seems to be filled with season 2, it can be really good or really bad. I won't say if 2014 is the golden age of anime, but spring is quite strong. Let's just wait and see if the next 2 seasons will be good.
That winter disappointed me.
Mahou Sensou that ending, what the... destroyed the original novel
Chūnibyō wasn't bad
Mikakunin de Shinkōkei was funny, not sure about others
piruchan

[ S a k u r a ] wrote:

Chūnibyō wasn't bad
I dropped Mahou Sensou and just finished Chuunibyou. At least, I had D-Frag! to keep me laughing.
Topic Starter
SpiceSoul_old

Navizel wrote:

You just contradicted yourself. You say 2014 is the "Golden Age of Anime" and you're saying NGNL is good-tier only. That's far from masterpiece and I'm sure as hell it's far also far from golden.
i never said they where all good im just saying they have a lot of potential in my own opinion
Ayachi-

piruchan wrote:

[ S a k u r a ] wrote:

Chūnibyō wasn't bad
I dropped Mahou Sensou and just finished Chuunibyou. At least, I had D-Frag! to keep me laughing.
Laughing is always good :3
I may be watching D-frag after I finish Heaven's Memo Pad :)
Topic Starter
SpiceSoul_old

[ S a k u r a ] wrote:

Laughing is always good :3
I may be watching D-frag after I finish Heaven's Memo Pad :)[/quote]

i have to say heavens memo pad was great!
[-Cloud-]

Fabi wrote:

LOLIS ARE ALMIGHTY AND POWERFUL!!
plus how can you say no to this face?

Since I saw what they made out of Soul Eater, I'm pretty sure that moe is destroying everything. Fuck fanservice, fuck Lolis, hail plot.

deadbeat wrote:

I don't believe in a golden age being over the course a single year, I also think that a lot more anime's are being moe focused which displeases me a lot. The fact that there's an Akame ga kill! anime does make me happy, but I feel if you want to find the golden age, try focus less on animation quaility and focus on more important features such as good storylines and enjoyable chatacters. My current feeling is that the golden age would be anime before 2000. There some some amazing anime back then that are still good by today's standard
Absolutely this. Animes these days are just focussed on cute, little girlprotagonists what's kinda pissing me off since it's everytime the same shit.
Varetyr
If I had to pick one year, it would be 2006.
-Code Geass
-Death Note
-Jigoku Shōjo
-D.Gray Man (okay I don't really like this one tbh, but it's popular for a reason)
-.hack//Roots
-Black Lagoon
-Gintama's beginning
-N.H.K. ni Yōkoso
And several other great shows that probably deserve more attention.

I don't think I've seen so many great shows in the same year since then.
Magicphoenix

Varetyr wrote:

-Code Geass
-Death Note
-Jigoku Shōjo
-D.Gray Man (okay I don't really like this one tbh, but it's popular for a reason)
-.hack//Roots
-Black Lagoon
-Gintama's beginning
-N.H.K. ni Yōkoso

yeah, this!
Navizel

Varetyr wrote:

-Code Geass
-Death Note
-Jigoku Shōjo
-.hack//Roots
-Black Lagoon
-Gintama's beginning
-N.H.K. ni Yōkoso

Aria the Natural
Kemonozume
Rec
xxxHolic
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Bokura ga Ita
Mushishi (started 2005, ended 2006)

Maybe.
AutoMedic
Someones hyping an anime about a teenager shooting zombie aliens while being sexually harrased by little kids
Sapphiire_old_1
Alot of my fav anime's where released in 2012 so i have to say thats the golden age for me
Ichi
Can´t stand the amount of little girls and kawaiis and mahou sht idk what, yes it is funny sometimes and some are nice to watch but others really want to make me blow my head off. I agree with deadbeat if you have to chose before 2000 there where amazing animes that are still remembered today, and at least most of them were longer than 12/24 chapters, they had storylines worth the money to produce and people liked to follow them.

Anyway still waiting for some animes that caught my attention this 2014 that are yet to come:

Tokyo Ghoul
Fate Stay night (remake)
Zankyou no Terror

and well that´s about it
Mogsy
2014 is definitely not a solid year so far. There's quite a lot of pandery titles out there, and it's certainly more of a haven if you enjoy having your favourite tropes spoon-fed to you if you're into them. The stuff that's risky or actually decently-written is few and far between, but the titles that are good are still good, even in comparison to everything else around it (Kill la Kill, Ping Pong, The World is Still Beautiful, Mushishi s2, Chaika, Jojo s3). Personally, NGNL and Black Bullet are horrible shows due to being horribly-written otaku-pandering power fantasies so I would not even touch them with a 'best of' list.

If there were years with majorly solid titles, I'd say to bring 1998, 2006, 2011, and potentially 2013 into the front of your mind. Even the stuff that isn't technically "good" is at least memorable.

But eh, we're only halfway into 2014. Summer has maybe 2 or 3 interesting non-sequel things, and then we'll see what fall has to offer.
UnderminE
it's good because we had ping pong
blissfulyoshi
Well who cares about anything else, 2014 had Love Live s2, the series that took Bakemonogatari's and Madoka's first week BD selling records for a tv broadcasted anime, and soon to take the cumulative BD sales from them as well. On top of that, it even outsold the first week sales of the recent eva movie. You just can't deny the numbers. 2014 is the greatest year of anime yet!!!!

I hope you realize I am being quite sarcastic despite quoting a fact. 1 anime doesn't make an age, and I seriously hope a age is not defined as being 1 year long. While, this year seems to have quite a few high profile sequals lined up (Love Live s2, SAO s2, Free s2), that is not what defines a golden age, unless you are talking about the age of sequals. Regardless, I don't want to debate the defintion of a golden age, and what was accomplished to make any age better than another. As time changes, certain high selling series set trends for companies to follow.

On another note, NGNL's anime is better than the novel imo. The author is really long winded at times, and the anime adds a few jokes that make it a more entertaining experience.
AutoMedic

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Well who cares about anything else, 2014 had Love Live s2, the series that took Bakemonogatari's and Madoka's first week BD selling records for a tv broadcasted anime, and soon to take the cumulative BD sales from them as well. On top of that, it even outsold the first week sales of the recent eva movie. You just can't deny the numbers. 2014 is the greatest year of anime yet!!!!

I hope you realize I am being quite sarcastic despite quoting a fact. 1 anime doesn't make an age, and I seriously hope a age is not defined as being 1 year long. While, this year seems to have quite a few high profile sequals lined up (Love Live s2, SAO s2, Free s2), that is not what defines a golden age, unless you are talking about the age of sequals. Regardless, I don't want to debate the defintion of a golden age, and what was accomplished to make any age better than another. As time changes, certain high selling series set trends for companies to follow.

On another note, NGNL's anime is better than the novel imo. The author is really long winded at times, and the anime adds a few jokes that make it a more entertaining experience.
I agree on that last sentence. Still waiting for a second season of NGNL
Ceph23
How do you even define the "Golden age" anyway?

If there is even gonna be a Golden age of anime, wouldn't it be the time where anime was first introduced and was an instant hit to everyone who caught wind of it? Appealing to what the nation want's during the time it was introduced/
That's how DC comics categorized it.
I'd categorize anime now as the "Modern age" based on how different anime are made now that they were a few years back.

Then again, this just some weebshit useless ranting so................. potato
Jazz
please, most of the anime this year bored the shit out of me

and of course the graphics/animation is better because of technology development
do you think animators don't learn new things and they don't make improvements?
Apex_old
2014 is still not over Its status is still TBA.

Age is a noun used more on the time span of more than one year, so it is either in the age, is the beginning, ot the end.

I think 2014 is successful yet becuase of mushishi and ping pong, but it's not golden enough. Breaking Bad + Game of Thrones = golden age.

P.S. I wager 10 dollars that Michael Bay's new transformer film ripped off Brynhildr 8-) 8-)
Revy-
Wait how old is this thread? Like No Game No Life was released along time ago like i almost watched the first season.
UnderminE

Apex wrote:

I think 2014 is successful yet becuase of mushishi and ping pong
Yep, good taste
Faust
Over the years there have been just enough sparsely laid about nuggets worth reaching out to, and it's not getting any higher.

I tend to look forward more to the theatrical releases than the shows that come on air.
AutoMedic
Summer season is going to suck for sure
Mogsy

Revy- wrote:

Wait how old is this thread? Like No Game No Life was released along time ago like i almost watched the first season.
Are you fucking joking.

UnderminE wrote:

Apex wrote:

I think 2014 is successful yet becuase of mushishi and ping pong
Yep, good taste
Two of the best shows this year, yes. There's also good stuff to be found in other titles out there (under the cut below).
SPOILER
  1. Chaika for well-written anime-as-fuck fantasy
  2. The World is Still Beautiful (Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii) for well-written shoujo about strong-willed characters who are both kinda dumb
  3. Haikyuu! for another sports series with passion and charm in its writing of standard material
  4. Mekaku City Actors for proving that even a Shaft style-over-substance narrative can make sense and actually have a payoff
  5. Space Dandy for being an animator's sci-fi playhouse
  6. Hozuki no Reitetsu for cultural comedy that's actually funny
  7. Wake Up Girls! for being a idol drama that isn't really sweet and saccharine while exposing truths about the idol industry

But still, the year isn't over. There's more titles out there to both impress and disappoint. Definitely looking forward to a few things throughout the rest of the year (next season in particular has me excited for Sailor Moon's reboot and Zankyou no Terror), but I'll keep my expectations tempered, like I usually do.
Ayachi-

Mogsworth wrote:

Revy- wrote:

Are you fucking joking.

That just made me laugh
Everwhite
In terms of animation, I'd say definitely yes.
In terms of overall production, I think also yes, but there's still lots of room for improvement ~
Gumpy
If I was at home and watching I would give you my opinion.
VoidnOwO
:)