forum

Beatmap recommendation for an average player?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RichJoker
Hey, I've played osu! since 2 years ago (with many breaks here and there) But here's the problem, the beatmaps I download are usually songs that I have heard or top-rated maps. That's why I mostly train with 2 good songs, Last Note. - Caramel Heaven and ONE OK ROCK - Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer.

What I'm looking for is beatmaps with good difficulty for an average player, but not too fast for an average player. (Like Scarlet Rose)
If could, I'd like a beatmap with a good song.

Will appreciate what you guys could provide. :)
nooblet
Kinda hard to make beatmap recommendations when your top plays are [Easy] and [Normal], I mean those are pretty much all the same. If you're looking for a good song then just find what you like on the site, by artist or mapper or whatever you like.
Tom94
You can try going here and see if the recommendations it gives you suit your needs. If you decide to become a supporter you can even make it exclude maps you already played. ;)
Illus

Tom94 wrote:

You can try going here and see if the recommendations it gives you suit your needs. If you decide to become a supporter you can even make it exclude maps you already played. ;)
Wow, did you improve the algorithm recently? It now shows a little harder beatmaps than before and seems to exclude CtB, Mania, and Taiko (for a standard player like me). It didn't do that before.

It might be actually pretty useful right now, at least if you're concerned about farming pp and trying the right diffs for that.
Tom94

Illus wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Wow, did you improve the algorithm recently? It now shows a little harder beatmaps than before and seems to exclude CtB, Mania, and Taiko (for a standard player like me). It didn't do that before.

It might be actually pretty useful right now, at least if you're concerned about farming pp and trying the right diffs for that.
You always could select "osu!" as a gamemodes as opposed to "All". The difficulty got slightly increased indeed, though.
Topic Starter
RichJoker
lol yes, I usually play Easy and Normal beatmaps. I can stand several Hard beatmaps, but most of them are too much for my mouse accuracy.
I'll try playing the Recommended Difficulty beatmaps from the first. Thanks guys. ^_^

About pp, does pp measure our performance in a beatmap during the first time only? It seems that my pp for osu! Standard mode is low. (Even lower than Taiko and CTB)
B1rd
Just go and download a LOT of beatmaps.

you have an extremely low playcount, you just need to play a lot more. try practicing hards and eventually you will get good at them.
Top Bunk
How do you even have a higher rank than me with such low PP and a play count barely over 500.
I never fail to re-destroy my self-esteem every time I read threads in this section.

That aside, you should be doing hards by now anyway. So work on doing that. Or try using hard rock and/or double time mods on normal beatmaps.
B1rd

SlasherZX wrote:

How do you even have a higher rank than me with such low PP and a play count barely over 500.
I never fail to re-destroy my self-esteem every time I read threads in this section.

That aside, you should be doing hards by now anyway. So work on doing that. Or try using hard rock and/or double time mods on normal beatmaps.
I think you were looking at his mania score, but I know the feeling. f*ck those people with 4Kpp after 10K plays
Top Bunk
Oh, so it appears I was. Not sure how that happened, thanks for pointing it out though!

But yeah, so many people progress way too quickly. It's hard to keep up. Either I just suck, or I need push myself harder.
Vuelo Eluko

SlasherZX wrote:

Oh, so it appears I was. Not sure how that happened, thanks for pointing it out though!

But yeah, so many people progress way too quickly. It's hard to keep up. Either I just suck, or I need push myself harder.
i know the feel

how do we even define 'average'? the best way i can think of is to look at the average pp for each player in a country, in japan its around 500 in USA its a lot lower, like 200.
Maxis

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

SlasherZX wrote:

i know the feel

how do we even define 'average'? the best way i can think of is to look at the average pp for each player in a country, in japan its around 500 in USA its a lot lower, like 200.
Most of those are probably inactive (I know if you don't play for a certain amount of time you don't get a rank, but I mean people who made an account within the last few weeks then played like 2 songs), some are pp farmers other are more casual players...

which just makes that data pretty inaccurate. I have thought about this myself and, honestly, I really don't think there is an 'average' player in osu. There are simply far too many players from various different skill levels across the board that are active right now. With so much variety there's really no way to pinpoint what the average player is.

(sorry for off-topic lol)
B1rd
IMO, skill is defined by pp/skill per playcount. Most 'average' players don't have that many plays. Though I can respect the people who try harder to get to their rank rather than the people who have all this talent and can get to the top without too much effort.
RaneFire

B1rd wrote:

IMO, skill is defined by pp/skill per playcount. Most 'average' players don't have that many plays. Though I can respect the people who try harder to get to their rank rather than the people who have all this talent and can get to the top without too much effort.
I wouldn't think too hard on that.

There's no way of knowing how many unranked/offline plays a person has done or if the player's join date pre-dated spun-out mod changes (early 2012?) AND HOW MUCH THEY USED IT (everyone to different extents), which let you play unranked with no increase to your play count, on any map. There's also multi-accounts who no one notices being so (made a new when they were still bad, which can easily sway 10-20k playcount depending on the person), but playing offline is still a very likely case for a lot of people, such as yourself.
B1rd
^yeah I meant actually playcount, I realise that shown playcount isn't always accurate. A good reason not to try to compare yourself to others and worry and fret because that guy has 5K less plays but 500 more PP than you.
Topic Starter
RichJoker
I'm trying to play Hard in Standard now. Since it's a bit hard for my mouse, I'm thinking about buying osu!tablet.
Downloading beatmaps made by top mappers helps increasing my pp too.
Vuelo Eluko

RichJoker wrote:

I'm trying to play Hard in Standard now. Since it's a bit hard for my mouse, I'm thinking about buying osu!tablet.
it's not too hard for your mouse, it's too hard for you :|
tablet wont help, especially with that mentality
Topic Starter
RichJoker

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

RichJoker wrote:

it's not too hard for your mouse, it's too hard for you :|
tablet wont help, especially with that mentality
lol, by my mouse I meant my hands.
Actually I'm already used to playing EBA and Ouendan on DS before I play osu!. That's long ago though. Right now I usually fail to complete spinners in Standard mode, probably because I rarely play games that demands steady mouse accuracy. And yeah, tablets won't help unless you are steady with your mouse first.