forum

Based Mouse-Only Players. 400 or 800 DPI?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hamster Only
I have been on 800 DPI for about 6 months so far and feel I have hit a peak for a while now. My method of getting better is just to pass as many insanes as I can (with at least a B), ignoring PP gains (FC). Am I ready for the final form that is 400 DPI?
El Koko
Play with whatever is most comfortable -and considering the area available for your mouse movements- to you. Try 400 and see how well you do. I play on 1000, can't go lower.

And aim to pass with a certain acc, not a Rank. Something like 95% should be fine.
Kaeru
What is this.. I don't even..

Why would you ever, EVER change your DPI? Especially if you've been playing a whole 6 months with 800 DPI.. why would you ever want to change it? This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on these forums in some time.. never change to 400 DPI. Keep your 800. Please, for the sake of humanity. This defies all logic.
GoldenWolf

Kaeru wrote:

What is this.. I don't even..

Why would you ever, EVER change your DPI? Especially if you've been playing a whole 6 months with 800 DPI.. why would you ever want to change it? This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on these forums in some time.. never change to 400 DPI. Keep your 800. Please, for the sake of humanity. This defies all logic.
He's exagerating a little bit but you got the point, just stick with what you currently have and play more.
You aren't hitting a peak because you need to change your DPI, you're hitting a peak because you need to play more, it's simple as that.

Also play maps that you can actually FC with decent accuracy (>97%) from time to time.
Raz
As a mouse player that plays with 1300 dpi, I personally could/would never play with anything under 1000 just because its too much arm movement.

If you've already played 6 months at 800, chances are, you hitting a wall isn't due to your dpi. If you notice though that as you are playing maps with larger jumps and you are overshooting your aim, then maybe try decreasing your dpi to 700 or 600 (assuming if that is an option). If anything, the wall you are hitting is that you cannot read the harder maps as you have been increasing in skill, in which case, simply playing more will lead to you getting better, OR you arent focusing enough on your tapping/streaming accuracy and speed, in which case, play more and try to focus on getting better accuracy at bpms you are comfortable with, which will in turn help you become more comfortable at higher speeds
xasuma
I think you should stick to what you have been using. And its completely personal too, so whatever people might tell you, its whats more comfortablet for you the one you should use.
Oh and 400 or 800 dpi means nothing if you don't mention the resolution you are playing at. You could be playing the game at 4k for all we know.. .
NixXSkate
What is your resolution?
If you really want more control you could raise your window size a bit and readjust to that, just keep in mind that playing with 400 and 800dpi are very different playstyles, so I don't really consider changing to 400dpi as a way to pass the wall you think you're hitting. If an 800dpi player uses fullscreen, it's considered low sens anyway. There's many mouse+kb players that use 800dpi and to be honest, most players go more than 400dpi, 400dpi is pretty much the lowest dpi standard in osu. I do NOT think it's bad to change your dpi, as long as you are staying within a particular range and not changing it often. 400dpi, however, is almost completely relearning mouse, and mastering it doesn't mean you're going to be better than an 800dpi player necessarily, anyway.
I personally use 800dpi @ default window.
SilviA used 1000dpi @ default window or small window.
Doomsday uses ~1300dpi @ fullscreen.
cptnXn uses ~350dpi @ large window. (wow)
Amai uses 400dpi @ default window.
PeaChick uses 800dpi @ ???
kriers uses 800dpi @ fullscreen,
[ Beatrice ] uses 650dpi @ slightly large window.
BluOxy uses 1200dpi @ fullscreen.
Raiku uses slightly less than 800dpi @ default window.

As you can see, not all pros use really low sens. Most players that use 400dpi are actually mouse only players, since they need the extra control while clicking. If you are a mouse only player and want to be like them, keep in mind you're going to have to completely relearn movement and grip.
Ninonuko

NixXSkate wrote:

What is your resolution?
If you really want more control you could raise your window size a bit and readjust to that, just keep in mind that playing with 400 and 800dpi are very different playstyles, so I don't really consider changing to 400dpi as a way to pass the wall you think you're hitting. If an 800dpi player uses fullscreen, it's considered low sens anyway. There's many mouse+kb players that use 800dpi and to be honest, most players go more than 400dpi, 400dpi is pretty much the lowest dpi standard in osu. I do NOT think it's bad to change your dpi, as long as you are staying within a particular range and not changing it often. 400dpi, however, is almost completely relearning mouse, and mastering it doesn't mean you're going to be better than an 800dpi player necessarily, anyway.

As you can see, not all pros use really low sens. Most players that use 400dpi are actually mouse only players, since they need the extra control while clicking. If you are a mouse only player and want to be like them, keep in mind you're going to have to completely relearn movement and grip.
peachick use 400 dpi, 8/11 (from ask fm)
JappyBabes use 1800 dpi (maybe high)
Tsukasa
First thing you should do

Is ignore what other people use as a sensitivity

Best Sens is the Comfortable Sens.

If you feel uncomfortable with 1 sens, change it. If it feels really comfortable, Stick with it.

It's one of the lethal bad habits to copy another player's settings
uberpancake
Pyonta plays with an equivalent of 520 dpi. Peachick 800. I'd say just stick with what you're used to unless your aim is really inconsistent.
Monstrata
1800 dpi, mouse-acceleration off.

Though honestly, aim stopped being a huge problem for me after i started passing ~70pp maps. It's mainly the streams and kill.
FieryLight
I would say switch to 400 DPI since you're going mouse only. Mouse clicks shaking the mouse is a big deal imo. But then again, I use mouse + keyboard and I mainly use fingertip grip so, I can't say I'm the best judge of what's good and what's bad, haha. But, there's my opinion on the matter =P
Kaeru

FieryLight wrote:

I would say switch to 400 DPI since you're going mouse only. Mouse clicks shaking the mouse is a big deal imo. But then again, I use mouse + keyboard and I mainly use fingertip grip so, I can't say I'm the best judge of what's good and what's bad, haha. But, there's my opinion on the matter =P
Even if that is true for him, the amount of mouse-only skill that he might eventually get from halving his DPI is really not worth the time he would have to spend adjusting. There is a huge difference between 400 and 800 DPI, and 800 is already on the low end. I'm sure most of the top mouse-only players don't use anything lower than that.

If he has trouble with clicking because his DPI is too high he should have adjusted a long time ago, not six months in. With enough practice that problem should go away anyways.
NixXSkate

sdrghjkkk wrote:

peachick use 400 dpi, 8/11 (from ask fm)
JappyBabes use 1800 dpi (maybe high)
PeaChick uses a 400dpi mouse, but he said on ask.fm that he uses 8/11 on windows, so it's 800dpi basically.

Tsukasa wrote:

First thing you should do

Is ignore what other people use as a sensitivity

Best Sens is the Comfortable Sens.

If you feel uncomfortable with 1 sens, change it. If it feels really comfortable, Stick with it.

It's one of the lethal bad habits to copy another player's settings
Not true, people can adapt. A bigger mistake is never changing your settings just because it's what you started with and got used to. The first settings you use aren't always ideal. I think going over 2000dpi is a huge mistake, I don't care how well adapted a player is.
Hell
You guys care too much about mouses settings, tablets, windowed modes and resolutions.
The only real way to get better is just to play more.
Yes, play more.
Thats all you have to do.
Play. More.
NixXSkate

Hell wrote:

You guys care too much about mouses settings, tablets, windowed modes and resolutions.
The only real way to get better is just to play more.
Yes, play more.
Thats all you have to do.
Play. More.
Thanks, I can learn a lot from a veteran such as yourself.
Topic Starter
Hamster Only
I forgot to mention I play on 1280x800 res.

I know it's bad to change your settings and that you should stick with it for muscle memory development. I'm asking because for mouse-only, streaming using both right and left clicks may be better on 400 DPI no?
Kaeru

HamsterCurry wrote:

I forgot to mention I play on 1280x800 res.

I know it's bad to change your settings and that you should stick with it for muscle memory development. I'm asking because for mouse-only, streaming using both right and left clicks may be better on 400 DPI no?
Nothing in this game is better than sticking to settings that you're used to. I use 2080 DPI and I can play mouse-only perfectly fine. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to use 800 DPI. I mean, I'm not an amazing mouse-only player, but I haven't trained to play like that. I'm not really sure what is making you want to change anyways. Everyone has those times where it feels like it's impossible to improve more, but you just need to keep playing. Your settings aren't the problem.
Breiz
i used similar settings for quite a whille, now my dpi is lower though. it sure is a good sens to start with. keep in mind your current sensitivity is not limiting your skill in any way.
Topic Starter
Hamster Only
First of all, I like to say thanks for all the inputs. I appreciate them.

I went ahead and changed to 400 DPI. Tested it out on some 0108 streamy maps and it feels... k-k-kimochi.
This is something I can definitely get used to.
I think it will only take a few days to fully get the hang of it just like the time I went from 6400 to 800 DPI (I know right?)
B1rd

NixXSkate wrote:

What is your resolution?

What?

"4000dpi; 3/11 windows; -4 on drivermenu (it should be around 1350 dpi on normal windows speed)"-cptnXn's profile
and unless he's change it, Kriers uses 450 dpi

Most mouse only players use lower dpi, however I know an amazing mouse only play that uses around 1600 dpi at 1366x768 full-screen.

Salochin uses 3600~dpi a 1440x900 and mouse clicks for single-tapping, though he does admit that i probably took him longer to progress because of his settings.

So based on this, any dpi under 2000 is perfectly viable, just play what you're most comfortable with.
NixXSkate

B1rd wrote:

"4000dpi; 3/11 windows; -4 on drivermenu (it should be around 1350 dpi on normal windows speed)"-cptnXn's profile
and unless he's change it, Kriers uses 450 dpi
Yeah. "1350dpi on normal windows speed", AKA 337.5 dpi with windows at 3/11, according to what he says. (You can't honestly tell me you think he uses 1350dpi with how he moves his mouse.)
Also how the hell would kriers use 450 dpi? Last time I checked, he used an IME3.0 with windows at 8/11 on fullscreen (800dpi). The only mice that naturally do 450 dpi is Razer mice and Zowie mice, unless he sets it to 450 with a mouse that allows any DPI you want, which is kinda rare for good sensors.
joolomasta
I don't think there is a best DPI setting.

Most people here seem to say small DPI is the best. I've always played with 3500 DPI, windows 6/11, osu 1.0x, mouse acceleration on (yes, when you've used it long enough, you can accurately predict the acceleration and thus instead of moving your hand/arm more you can just move it faster). I have never felt that my settings would limit me, only my own skills are limiting my progress.

I think I could be higher rank (broke 18k recently) if i just DT'd hards like many people around these ranks do to gain easy pp. Most of my scores are from FC'ing nomod insanes so it's not like im only playing maps that require low accuracy or have no jumps. You can probably point out 1000 better mouse-only players than me but this is just my experience from playing with only the mouse. The greatest restriction to mouse-only play, to me at least, seems to be streams, not jumps.

I'd say just play what DPI you are comfortable with.
NixXSkate

joolomasta wrote:

mouse acceleration on (yes, when you've used it long enough, you can accurately predict the acceleration and thus instead of moving your hand/arm more you can just move it faster). I have never felt that my settings would limit me, only my own skills are limiting my progress.
Mouse acceleration is a total waste of time, there is no reason to use it, there is NOTHING good about it. I used it to for the first 30,000 plays, Cookiezi used it with mouse only at first as well. The fact how I got significantly better shortly after switching to no acceleration (after 30,000 plays with it on!), and how Cookiezi became #1 within a few months after switching to tablet clearly shows how much mouse acceleration holds people back. There has been so many people I've made turn off acceleration and all of them got significantly better aim extremely shortly after doing so. DO NOT EVER LET PEOPLE THINK MOUSE PRECISION/ACCELERATION IS OK FOR OSU!
aeS
when i first got my g400s about 6 months ago i started at 4000. somehow i got down to 1200.

but yeah, its better to stick to a comfort zone in a game of consistency. if you really want to aim for a higher/lower sens, do so at very small increments.
notkris
i used to play at 5k dpi on 1280x720 lol

i'm at 2k on 1920x1080 now though
Maryia
am I the only one that plays with 3000 dpi and still find this too low ? How are you even playing 400 Oo I personally can't even move
Xayne

HamsterCurry wrote:

I have been on 800 DPI for about 6 months so far and feel I have hit a peak for a while now. My method of getting better is just to pass as many insanes as I can (with at least a B), ignoring PP gains (FC). Am I ready for the final form that is 400 DPI?
Depends on if you feel more comfortable playing with just your wrist or with arm movement. I play on 900 DPI because I like being able to get from corner to corner with strictly wrist movement. It requires more control, but it's just my preference.

If you want my honest advice, I don't think the wall you hit is DPI related. It's most likely reading and speed related.
ZenithPhantasm
Nice necropost. Anyways 400 dpi because pixel precise aim+low res=best