forum

I can't hit easy notes to save my life..

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fuh
... but I can hit the jumps with good accuracy?

It's not like I'm choking under pressure either.

I literally hit jumps at 95%+ accuracy but end up missing a simple note that no one should ever miss and it's really irritating.
& then it's like if I attempt to slow down and make an effort to hit the note that I keep missing, then I end up screwing up the entire song.

/rant

Anyway, I'm a mouse player and it just feels incredibly hard to control. I've messed with my sensitivity and I've either been too fast or too slow, because for some reason my cursor likes to act like it's slipping on ice at random times and I have no idea why. I've tried Raw Input but my mouse likes to slide even more whenever I move it slightly.

I'll move all over the place then because of one sensitivity issue I'll either overshoot or stop short of a note and of course, miss.

I've played osu for like a year now, but this just irritates me to no end and it's effecting my gameplay. ):

Does anyone have advice?
Kaeru
This happens to me sometimes when I think too much about what I'm doing. Try to tune out a little more and let your muscle memory do all the work. If you miss and try again you're only going to get more frustrated and play even worse.

Also, if a particular section of a song is giving you trouble, try practicing that section over and over (using the editor or something) and then take a break from that map and stop playing it for a while. When you come back with a fresh mind, you should be much better at it.
xasuma
Good thing you are not actually trying to save your life, or u'd be dead.

and...

Focus/concentrate, that is the most logical answer.
Tsukasa
3 Cs of Mouse Gaming

Cool - Relax yourself Before, During, And after playing a map.
Calm - While playing, don't think about anything else except the map. Serenity will be your friend
Collected - Breathe. Keep the first 2 Cs working. Don't panic.
daredakke
I still make mistakes like that where sometimes my cursor will fall onto the edge of a circle or slider and of course I'll break. I can't say anything about playing with a mouse but if it happens give that area extra attention next time you play.

I retry a lot these days, I wonder why.
Noobsicle
it helps to post details on what you use (mouse, dpi, windows sensitivity, osu! sensitivity etc) so that we can thoroughly talk you down for using a crappy office mouse with unknown specs on an A4 sheet of textured paper examine your problems with mouse aim

its also pretty obvious but do make sure that your cursor is actually on the hit circle
Hell
I have the same problems as a mouse player, I need to keep adjusting my hand on my mouse probably because of autism the uncomfortable grip on it, but I realized that if I ignore this uncomfortable feeling I can still play the map, albeit uncomfortably. I used to miss a lot of notes in songs because I would adjust my grip mid song but now I just power through my autism the song.

But yeah, most of the posts here are right, don't worry about it, keep playing.
tokaku
Usually it's because you're not concentrating. And because you see it as 'easy' you don't pay attention to it and dismiss it. It happens to me when I spam retry on maps.
Topic Starter
Fuh

Noobsicle wrote:

it helps to post details on what you use (mouse, dpi, windows sensitivity, osu! sensitivity etc) so that we can thoroughly talk you down for using a crappy office mouse with unknown specs on an A4 sheet of textured paper examine your problems with mouse aim

its also pretty obvious but do make sure that your cursor is actually on the hit circle
I'm using a Steel Series Sensei [Raw] on a Steel Series mouse pad.
.8x osu! sensitivity
I can't find my DPI in the mouse software for some reason, but i'll assume it's unchanged from default.
Windows sensitivity would be directly in the middle with enhanced pointer.

The only problem is when your looking at 4+ notes coming at you at 170+ BPM it's hard to look.
So I guess I have the habit of looking ahead whenever the next note pops up and so on, so I don't get lost and fall behind.

Also, thanks for the replies everyone.
Tsukasa
Well Almost all Steel Series mice have mouse acceleration

No wonder your mouse drifts
Pettanko
what if i told you

that if you keep missing "easy" notes then they aren't easy after all
Noobsicle

Fuh wrote:

I'm using a Steel Series Sensei [Raw] on a Steel Series mouse pad.
.8x osu! sensitivity
I can't find my DPI in the mouse software for some reason, but i'll assume it's unchanged from default.
Windows sensitivity would be directly in the middle with enhanced pointer.

The only problem is when your looking at 4+ notes coming at you at 170+ BPM it's hard to look.
So I guess I have the habit of looking ahead whenever the next note pops up and so on, so I don't get lost and fall behind.

Also, thanks for the replies everyone.
untick enhanced pointer, experiment around with 1x osu! sensitivity to see if you can aim better, try re-installing mouse drivers so you can set your dpi (between 800-1600 is a good start, see which ones the most comfortable for you)
Blueprint
I do really well when I start the map wanting to fc & start spacing out thinking about something random (Maware) that I forget I'm playing and bam fc hope I helped :D
Mythras
i just retry a set of maps and chain-fuck-up 1 or 2 things, usually an SS otherwise like 15 times and eventually i get 1 or 2 of them and gain some pp for the day lol, its rough
Topic Starter
Fuh

Noobsicle wrote:

untick enhanced pointer, experiment around with 1x osu! sensitivity to see if you can aim better, try re-installing mouse drivers so you can set your dpi (between 800-1600 is a good start, see which ones the most comfortable for you)
With or without Raw input?
Noobsicle
enable raw input if you want
B1rd
honestly you could just get a tablet, some people are just not good with mice. I played with a mouse for 6 months, then I got a tablet and a week later my skill level is leagues above my mouse skill.

but there's two aspect to hitting notes: reading and aiming. If you see a note and acknowledge it and try and hit it but miss, then the problem is aiming skill. But most random misses are cause by a failure to read the maps. The tip that has helped me a ton with low approach rate reading and reading in general is to concentrate hard on the next note you need to hit. keep your eyes on each note as long as you can before you go to the next one. if I maintain focus like this my random misses are drastically reduced.
Topic Starter
Fuh
For some reason when I go to "Borderless" my mouse likes to float around a lot more than usual.
But when I'm on "Full Screen" my mouse is stable and doesn't slide as much.
I play on borderless because it's easier to alt-tab and whatnot, so is there a fix to this?
ivan
x
Saphirshroom
Are you actually fucking serious.
The legendary necro shitpost.
+1
Rilene
The osu! necropost record is actually 6 years.
So this is like still not much.

;w;
Saphirshroom
Yeah, I'm painfully aware. I was more amazed at how much of a low-content necro that was.
and not even a 1st-post-wonder
-Makishima S-
Nice necro
vsprite
Play more
show more