forum

Add pp as a scoring system in standard mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,788
show more
Drezi
I don't understand why people are against this idea. It's just a matter of disliking change I guess, being attached to legacy methods.

Cause there are no rational reasons other than the technical problems, for this not to be implemented. If pp is the most accurate measurement of skill right now, why would you only want global/country player rankings to use it, but not map rankings? Map rankings should display an order based on skill obviously, and the most accurate measurement of that is pp right now.

Too bad I don't have stars.

Also this is a little off topic, but don't you think country rankings should use the same weighting method to calculate an overall country pp based on it's player's pps, the same way our pp is calculated based on our best performances? You know the [performance above*0.95] weighting. Cause right now it's almost exclusively based on active player number.
Maxis

Period wrote:

I wouldn't mind this if both systems were side by side. As in, you could select

Top 50s by Score
or
Top 50s by Performance

the same way you select which gamemode you want to see top 50s in, at least on the web interface for beatmaps. In-game could just work with the dropdown like selecting country and friend ranks does.

I think being able to set a top 50 through your score opens the game up to be a lot more competitive to weaker players (Players who can HD+HR, for example, rather than DT), so it shouldn't be removed completely. If you removed top 50s by score, only the very best players would ever get a top 50s on the popular maps, so in the end, for a lot of maps, it would look very similar to the normal ranking system.

I think including both score systems would be a larger benifit. Maybe Top 50s by Performance could be the default, but I think maybe that would be too big a transition all at once. Including both seems like a better solution.

It would look pretty good on profiles too, imo:

[User] achieved Performance rank #42 on [Map] (osu!)
and
[User] achieved Score rank #14 on [Map] (osu!)
I agree with this. While I do like the idea of having scoring system based on pp, another con to this not yet mentioned is that there are thousands upon thousands of scores right now (based on, well, score) that people would be pretty mad about if they spent so much time trying to get and suddenly weren't top 50 anymore. Having both systems works best IMO, it keeps the old score system for those who prefer it more as well as a new and generally more accurate one.
jesse1412
Sounds good. Change is progress.

Ziggo wrote:

That'd be awful. I hope this will never happen.
Hopefully you are in the minority and this does happen.

Period wrote:

I wouldn't mind this if both systems were side by side. As in, you could select

Top 50s by Score
or
Top 50s by Performance

the same way you select which gamemode you want to see top 50s in, at least on the web interface for beatmaps. In-game could just work with the dropdown like selecting country and friend ranks does.

I think being able to set a top 50 through your score opens the game up to be a lot more competitive to weaker players (Players who can HD+HR, for example, rather than DT), so it shouldn't be removed completely. If you removed top 50s by score, only the very best players would ever get a top 50s on the popular maps, so in the end, for a lot of maps, it would look very similar to the normal ranking system.

I think including both score systems would be a larger benifit. Maybe Top 50s by Performance could be the default, but I think maybe that would be too big a transition all at once. Including both seems like a better solution.

It would look pretty good on profiles too, imo:

[User] achieved Performance rank #42 on [Map] (osu!)
and
[User] achieved Score rank #14 on [Map] (osu!)
I don't see why weaker players should even stand a chance, they're weaker, if they don't improve they will stay weak and die out of the ranking. Think of it like osu! natural selection, the weak die and the strong live on.

Maxis wrote:

I agree with this. While I do like the idea of having scoring system based on pp, another con to this not yet mentioned is that there are thousands upon thousands of scores right now (based on, well, score) that people would be pretty mad about if they spent so much time trying to get and suddenly weren't top 50 anymore. Having both systems works best IMO, it keeps the old score system for those who prefer it more as well as a new and generally more accurate one.
This argument really just keeps coming back as the biggest slap in the face to things I want to happen honestly. I recall making a thread about nerfing halftime because it's just so strong on hard maps but it got shot down for the reason that people spent a lot of time trying to get their scores and so I had to find an alternative; now the same argument is back again here. If a score is weaker then I don't really care how long you spent getting it, the score is weaker and shouldn't matter in a competitive game. Effort shouldn't be rewarded, performance should be rewarded and that seems to be the direction the ranking system wanted to go with the introduction of pp, ppv2 and tp.

I'll put it really harshly and plainly: I don't care if you spent 6 years trying to FL the unforgiving marathon if someone else double times it. Your score is clearly in my eyes the most well attempted when using flashlight but it's still just pointless now that someone has a DT score. If you want to win by effort then you should doubletime the map with flashlight and prove that you're not only better but willing to try harder.

Another example because flashlight gets bad press. I don't care if you spent 8000 retries trying to halftime fc fourdimensions, you aren't even close to someone who gets a 1000 combo and your score shouldn't even be considered a thing compared to them.

One last example because halftime is another taboo mod. I don't care if you spent 60 hours playing and fcing image material with 98% acc and hd when someone else has a 95% hr fc. Your hd score ISN'T as good no matter what your actual score says.
silmarilen
the pp in standard may not have changed much (if at all) but the other modes are still a mess. this is a good idea, but i think we better wait untill those are fixed first.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Topic Starter
Ohrami
And generally rhythm games become more difficult when they get faster. I don't really see your point, and I even mentioned that players will not only be able to prove their speed, but also their accuracy in my third point in the OP. I should also mention that most people would say pp represents accuracy better; would you like a 94% Hidden score to beat a nomod SS?

Period wrote:

I don't understand why you see this as a bad thing. osu! isn't a game intended to hold your hand and make things easier; if it were, we wouldn't see beatmaps like FREEDOM DiVE and Rainbow Dash Likes Girls getting ranked. If the map is really so popular that most of the top 50 players on the game have tried their best on it, I think it's reasonable to expect that they fill the leaderboards. They are, after all, the best.
Maxis

jesus1412 wrote:

This argument really just keeps coming back as the biggest slap in the face to things I want to happen honestly. I recall making a thread about nerfing halftime because it's just so strong on hard maps but it got shot down for the reason that people spent a lot of time trying to get their scores and so I had to find an alternative; now the same argument is back again here. If a score is weaker then I don't really care how long you spent getting it, the score is weaker and shouldn't matter in a competitive game. Effort shouldn't be rewarded, performance should be rewarded and that seems to be the direction the ranking system wanted to go with the introduction of pp, ppv2 and tp.

I'll put it really harshly and plainly: I don't care if you spent 6 years trying to FL the unforgiving marathon if someone else double times it. Your score is clearly in my eyes the most well attempted when using flashlight but it's still just pointless now that someone has a DT score. If you want to win by effort then you should doubletime the map with flashlight and prove that you're not only better but willing to try harder.

Another example because flashlight gets bad press. I don't care if you spent 8000 retries trying to halftime fc fourdimensions, you aren't even close to someone who gets a 1000 combo and your score shouldn't even be considered a thing compared to them.

One last example because halftime is another taboo mod. I don't care if you spent 60 hours playing and fcing image material with 98% acc and hd when someone else has a 95% hr fc. Your hd score ISN'T as good no matter what your actual score says.
I won't lie, I don't disagree. It's obvious the score system right now is very flawed, e.g. like you said HD is nothing compared to HR, DT is some tough stuff whereas FL is just spam retry until you memorize, and overall the system's a mess. PP right now is a much better system by far and when it comes to actually comparing scores and plays, the amount of pp given is a much better way to go. I worry more about how the rest of the community would react to this kind of change, for example a person who got #1 on a song with HDFL topping HDHR and DT scores by spamming it for hours won't suddenly like to hear they moved to #638 or... something. I dunno, but point is, there's people who spend hours trying to get top scores, not to get #638.

I think of this from an outsider's perspective, I myself agree that performance > effort and that's why I support pp as a scoring system. If anything, the problem is just avoiding making people mad, since nobody likes change.

I've thought about what you said and that made me think of a more of a compromise of an idea: if this pp scoring system gets implemented, then when it goes live, all top 50s and replays based on the old scoring system are archived somewhere else, like on the site, ingame in a separate tab (like Global Ranking: old or something), or just somewhere where you can still see it, but you can't submit score anymore to that system. In other words, if someone comes around and SS's Big Black with HD, rrtyui will still be #1 on the old scoring system because it won't submit there (though they might of course, be #1 in pp).

Either way this kind of system may not be quite ready to be implemented, as the pp system is still improving especially on gamemodes other than standard, but I would like to see this replace our scoring system at some time in the future.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Updated the title to specifically call for the scoring system to change in standard mode only, at least for now.
Yarissa
Have some stars, I'd like to see this implemented as the main scoring metric. It would finally allow us to supercede our old best ranks on a map with better mods

Plus I think that it would be easier to find impressive replays.

My only problem with this is that it might be hard to implement.
xasuma
I talk for myself here and its just my opinion on it.
I don't want to be tied to the pp system that much to be honest. I think mainly because this would allow you to miss more often with less consequences (but at a higher difficulty, yes I know). For example:

I play 'x' song with no mod, get FC with 1000x combo. , and get no pp from it.
I play 'x' song with DT, get 600x combo, with 3 misses, and get 5 pp from it.

In my eyes, this would be annoying. As it would diminish a full combo, by making a non full combo potentially be much higher in rank. (I understand the difficulty would be a lot higher with dt), Its just the fact that a score wouldn't need to be as "perfect" as it needs to be now.

In addition to that, top 50 rank means nothing to be honest. Your real ranking is already measured by the pp system. The top 50 rank is more of a honoring feeling rather than a skill measurer to begin with in my opinion . (You can look at any easy difficulty top 50 to realize this)

And, again, to me , I like that not everything is tied to the pp system. Besides it is more straight forward with scores, because in the end, no one will argue that someone is first on a song if they have the highest score, whether someone could argue that the pp system is inaccurate in some instances (which I am not saying it is, however I don't think its 100% perfect and that would be seemly impossible to accomplish) , and say that 'x' song isn't that hard or blabla with 'this' or 'that' mod.

That is why I don't particularly like the idea.
Notice how I emphasize that this is My opinion , you are all free to think the exact opposite about it for all anyone cares.

Edit: And we will probably turn to the double scoring as mentioned earlier. See it here t/218559
Tom94

Kyou-kun wrote:

2. If pp were ever to update its calculations, it could affect (possibly significantly) the placement of scores on the leaderboards. However, as far as I know, no significant changes have been made to either tp or pp in a long time, so I don't think this would be too much of an issue.

3. Any scores which were set in the past which didn't beat their highest score with the current system, but would have with the proposed system, obviously wouldn't be counted. This could cause a lot of issues with players asking that some of their scores be placed into the leaderboard because of the fact that the only reason they currently are not is because they were set before the system was changed.
Those two are actually very big concerns in my opinion. Whenever the algorithm would be updated there would also get even more scores into the top50 which do not have a replay.

I feel like keeping score as a stable base measure is not such a bad thing. Especially with the possibility of mod-specific highscores (no more losing pp by beating your score with mods but worse accuracy) and optionally sorting the top50 pp-wise I don't see any reason why this wouldn't suffice.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
How often is the algorithm updated in a way which would affect beatmap leaderboards significantly? While it's a problem, I don't see it to be a significant enough one to warrant the use of such an inaccurate system.
shavit

pl0x
Topic Starter
Ohrami

xasuma wrote:

I talk for myself here and its just my opinion on it.
I don't want to be tied to the pp system that much to be honest. I think mainly because this would allow you to miss more often with less consequences (but at a higher difficulty, yes I know). For example:

I play 'x' song with no mod, get FC with 1000x combo. , and get no pp from it.
I play 'x' song with DT, get 600x combo, with 3 misses, and get 5 pp from it.

In my eyes, this would be annoying. As it would diminish a full combo, by making a non full combo potentially be much higher in rank. (I understand the difficulty would be a lot higher with dt), Its just the fact that a score wouldn't need to be as "perfect" as it needs to be now.
If a 1000 combo nomod is worth less pp than a 600 combo DT, it means that DT is probably a better score, thus it should rank higher. Why should a score have to be "perfect"? I guarantee that on any map where a 600 combo DT would beat a 1000 combo nomod, the player who did the 600 combo DT could probably also do the 1000 combo nomod, and much more easily at that.

xasuma wrote:

In addition to that, top 50 rank means nothing to be honest. Your real ranking is already measured by the pp system. The top 50 rank is more of a honoring feeling rather than a skill measurer to begin with in my opinion . (You can look at any easy difficulty top 50 to realize this)

And, again, to me , I like that not everything is tied to the pp system. Besides it is more straight forward with scores, because in the end, no one will argue that someone is first on a song if they have the highest score, whether someone could argue that the pp system is inaccurate in some instances (which I am not saying it is, however I don't think its 100% perfect and that would be seemly impossible to accomplish) , and say that 'x' song isn't that hard or blabla with 'this' or 'that' mod.
Why should you be "honored" if your scores suck? Not to be harsh, but it doesn't seem reasonable. You think nobody argues about first places with the current score system? That's just dead wrong. Almost nobody considers a FL or HDHR to be the "true" #1 when it's ahead of a DT FC. People already argue that the score system is far more inaccurate than the pp system ever was.
Bauxe
I think a lot of mid tier players would lose motivation if something like this was introduced. I don't really like the idea at all.
xasuma
Kyou kun, I don't particularly want to argue about this. I was just elaborating on why I didn't like the idea.

From what I see though is that if this were implemented, some people would in fact feel uneasy.
I'll keep reading to see where this heads. :)
Topic Starter
Ohrami

Bauxe wrote:

I think a lot of mid tier players would lose motivation if something like this was introduced. I don't really like the idea at all.
Why would you lose motivation because of a more accurate ranking system? As a "mid-tier" player myself, I would be more motivated to see my scores get high ranks, since I know they actually mean something.
Bauxe

Kyou-kun wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Why would you lose motivation because of a more accurate ranking system? As a "mid-tier" player myself, I would be more motivated to see my scores get high ranks, since I know they actually mean something.
By mid-tier, I'm not talking top few thousand. I mean the range from maybe 5k to 50k. Getting a top 50 score will seem impossible to them.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Why should it feel possible? Further, on what maps are 5k-50k ranked players getting top 50 scores frequently with the current system? I don't know of any myself.
Drezi
Why should anyone hold ranks they clearly don't deserve? This ain't charity. They can aim for country ranks.
Ziggo

Kyou-kun wrote:

Can you offer reasons for why you wouldn't like it? Do you think the pp system is inaccurate, or perhaps the current score system is more accurate? If so, why?
The main reason is that I think the current scoring system is more fun. Some examples: There are more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy. Also you don't need to restart a map every time you get some 100s at the start if you want to get into the rankings.

The second point is, that changes in the pp-system would change the scoring system every time. This would result in even less changes to the system. Also, I believe a consistent scoring system is better in general.
Bauxe

Drezi wrote:

Why should anyone hold ranks they clearly don't deserve? This ain't charity. They can aim for country ranks.
You make it sound like the same 50 people should have rank 1 to 50 on every map...
Topic Starter
Ohrami

Bauxe wrote:

You make it sound like the same 50 people should have rank 1 to 50 on every map...
If they set the 50 best scores on the map, then yes, they should. That's sort of the point of an accurate, skill-based ranking system.

Ziggo wrote:

The main reason is that I think the current scoring system is more fun. Some examples: There are more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy. Also you don't need to restart a map every time you get some 100s at the start if you want to get into the rankings.
Why should there be more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy? Those are the skills that deserve high ranks, and currently, they often get low ones instead. As for the 100s at the start not mattering as much: Do you really think that makes sense? That a lower accuracy score with the same mods and combo often beats a higher accuracy score because of that?

Ziggo wrote:

The second point is, that changes in the pp-system would change the scoring system every time. This would result in even less changes to the system. Also, I believe a consistent scoring system is better in general.
Yes, I mentioned this. Why would a consistent but flawed scoring system be better than an evolving but accurate one?
Mythras
this sounds unfair to flashlight

though i do hate flashlight
Drezi

Bauxe wrote:

Well, if every top50 player achieved the best they are capable of on every map, why should others take their place? It's not like top players care about hards and below anyway as far as I know.
Topic Starter
Ohrami

VioletMaid wrote:

this sounds unfair to flashlight

though i do hate flashlight
Flashlight already gives bonus pp, and not an insignificant amount.
haha5957
Even the simplest (new) scoring method that might be added is still going to be better than the current one.

I mean...... I also do think that current pp system is not exactly perfect and might change(which sucks, since your pp might drop randomly) in future.
However, does that mean current best scoring system makes more sense ans should be left unchanged?

A score system that doesnt even care the first 10 100s and that does care last one 100?
Score system that takes 120pp right away from you just because you decided to HD on a previously-DT-best scored-map?

hello?

be a person who knows how to think about how it can be better than before, not a crybaby who says NO all the time.

There is no such ing as perfect, but there is a thing called "better"
Lanturn
It'd be interesting. Getting all 300's to the end of the song, you have only 4-5 notes left, You are placed 10th on the map, then completely f up the final stream. You'll end up dropping from 10th to 500th. If we take this route with the scoring system, this is exactly what's going to happen. Scores won't be just scaling up, they will be increasing / decreasing as you play through the song.

An issue that I think would have problems is the lower diffs where there is literally only 1pp or a few extra points in Aim/Acc/Spd difference between each mod. That means anyone who can spin would only have to run two mods (DT HR) and they'd have a first even on medium length spinners.
At this point, having an option to sort by PP earned would be better than having the scoreboard adjust since it wouldn't be the top PP players in first. The current system also has this problem, but I see it being even worse with the new system since mods no longer would give a set value, and would probably make the multipliers within only a few decimal places of each other because of how close they are in performance.
It depends on how it is calculated as I'm no mathematician to be able to even comprehend how it might be calculated, but the difference between mods on easy songs, and mods on hard songs is extremely big. We have to make sure all ranges of difficulties can be calculated properly.

Just some things I thought of while reading through this thread for a few days. I'm not against this, nor am I supporting it. I'm just going to stay neutral in this whole thing.
PP is out of my reach with this new system since it doesn't work to my style of playing so I've honestly just given up on it. I've never really been competitive anyways, no do I care really about improving my speed skills. I'd rather improve at something I have fun doing (Flashlight and 100%ing slow songs no one has before.)

Is this a good idea? Yes, very much so. However, I still think there are lots of problems that need to be taken care before we can safely transfer over to it. Many of which have already been listed. Right now I think it is way too early still to be pushing this feature as hard as this thread seems to be wanting to. The system isn't even closed to being finished with the other modes, Seems like there is still some balancing issues to deal with, etc. If there is going to be such a big change as switching over to a different method of scoring, everything has to be completed and ready to go, doing bits and pieces at a time would make it a disaster, especially with how delicate the system is with reasons you (kyou) and tom have mentioned.
Ziggo

Kyou-kun wrote:

Why should there be more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy? Those are the skills that deserve high ranks, and currently, they often get low ones instead.
Well, guess we have different views about skill then. I think ranks like top HD or FL scores are well desevered.

Kyou-kun wrote:

As for the 100s at the start not mattering as much: Do you really think that makes sense? That a lower accuracy score with the same mods and combo often beats a higher accuracy score because of that?
Yes, I do. Because you can easily retry over 100s at the start, so they should be way less important than 100s later on.
dennischan
pp is far too inaccurate for anything like this.
it only considers max combo and acc, which are not sufficent for any case of score calculation.
there is no pattern recognization or anything that could determine the skill of a player accurately.

I think you are getting to hyped up over a system which is not operational.
Before per hitobject data can be provided,
it is simply nonsense to base scores on it.

maybe this should be implemented, but in the far future after pp is fully functional and gives accurate scoring.
then we can talk about this.

ps:FL is much harder than DT. DT is just high speed spamming. (excluding sayo's plays)
Drezi

dennischan wrote:

ps:FL is much harder than DT. DT is just high speed spamming. (excluding sayo's plays)
Not sure if serious.
Fudgy
I really hope this will be the case for osu!mania in the future. For now, using DT is useless because it's extremely hard to beat a no-mod score when there is a score limit and DT does not boost score.

DT scores are harder to achieve and should be on top of the rankings and also boost performance.
jesse1412

Ziggo wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

Can you offer reasons for why you wouldn't like it? Do you think the pp system is inaccurate, or perhaps the current score system is more accurate? If so, why?

If you're not going super fast or producing scores with godlike accuracy/aim your score isn't good (relatively) and hence should not be rewarded with a spot in the leader boards.
Topic Starter
Ohrami

dennischan wrote:

pp is far too inaccurate for anything like this.
it only considers max combo and acc, which are not sufficent for any case of score calculation.
there is no pattern recognization or anything that could determine the skill of a player accurately.

I think you are getting to hyped up over a system which is not operational.
Before per hitobject data can be provided,
it is simply nonsense to base scores on it.

maybe this should be implemented, but in the far future after pp is fully functional and gives accurate scoring.
then we can talk about this.

It sounds to me like you don't understand how pp works. It does consider every hit object in the map, and calculates the beatmap's difficulty based on the average and maximum strain of your aim, speed, and accuracy. Sometimes this can cause inaccurate calculations, but those are pretty much always only inaccurate for the overall ranking system, and don't really affect individual leaderboards. Yes, Koigokoro is overrated in terms of pp, but each individual score on the map can be placed very accurately. In fact, I think pp works better as a scoring system than as a ranking system.

As for saying "DT is just high speed spamming", that's your inner rank 30,000 speaking.

Ziggo wrote:

Well, guess we have different views about skill then. I think ranks like top HD or FL scores are well desevered.
What about getting 95% FC with Flashlight is more skillful than 90% FC (or even less than FC) with DT on FREEDOM DiVE? Do you really think those two scores are even comparable? One is doable by a few players if they put enough time into the game; the other is impossible for any player at the current time, no matter how much time they put into the game. pp already considers how much DT increases difficulty by recalculating, so DT gives larger bonuses to difficult maps (as it should), where Flashlight's bonus is static (as it should be).

Ziggo wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

As for the 100s at the start not mattering as much: Do you really think that makes sense? That a lower accuracy score with the same mods and combo often beats a higher accuracy score because of that?
Yes, I do. Because you can easily retry over 100s at the start, so they should be way less important than 100s later on.
So because those 100s are easier to fix, you think it shouldn't matter as much? What's the reasoning behind that? All the hit circles have the same judgment, and ignoring variations in speed, it's equally easy to get a 100 on all of them.
Kaeru
I wouldn't mind being able to sort plays by pp gains, but I don't want performance points to become the main scoring system. We already have enough people spamming DT on everything and this would just encourage that kind of play style further rather than teaching people to become accurate. If you can get a high accuracy with DT on a difficult song then you deserve to hold the top 50 on that map. I don't think it's fair to completely throw the other mods out the window. Ether go for pure pp gains or try to achieve high scores on maps, do you really need both at the same time?

In short, I don't really care if a score is deemed more impressive or not by the pp system. These biases will always exist, and removing score will just make this into an even bigger problem. Not to mention ruining all the current scores and making everything into a big mess. I think everything works fine how it is now. Being able to sort scores by pp is a much better idea in my opinion (and there are already a few topics that suggest that).

I agree that the current system is far from perfect, but I don't think the pp system is meant to be the main scoring system.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Speed and aim are often better than accuracy. Accuracy is often better than speed and aim. pp calculates this and decides which score involved the most skill. I don't see how it's encouraging players to be less accurate. thelewa is known for having great accuracy, where his other skills aren't really comparable, and he's rank #5 overall by the pp system. How would this be possible if pp encouraged speed and aim but not accuracy?

The fact is that speed and aim are vastly underrated with the current system, whereas pp is balanced.
Vuelo Eluko
DT best mod
make it give all the pp
and 1.13x thx
tu much hd hr pushing dt plays off the scoreboard when not as impressiv

better alternative to pp scoring
Amianki
I like this idea enough to match your stars.

Hope this gets included simply because it pissed me off how I turned an FC-5 into an FC but still lost about 10pp once because my accuracy was slightly lower.
Fudgy
Can someone explain to me why the overall pp-based ranking is accepted and considered accurate by the majority of players but at the same time, the score-based map rankings are still considered to be the appropriate way of sorting performances on each map?

How can someone think that global rankings and map rankings should use a different method? How does that even make sense?

How come the overall rankings do not use score, if it's supposedly more "honorific" and "accurate" than pp on each individual map?

Is there something obvious I overlooked which makes the situation more complicated that I made it seem?
Kodehawa_old

Ziggo wrote:

That'd be awful. I hope this will never happen.
show more