forum

osu!mania World Cup 2014: Preparations and Concept

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loctav
Greetings everybody,

as you all know, we will soon open the registrations for the osu!mania World Cup 2014 and therefore the first osu!mania World Cup in this game ever! Considering, that this game mode is way different compared to all other game modes, we adjusted the settings a bit to make it fit more to the needs of a proper mania world cup.
I am well aware that these settings might not favor everyone. Sure I want the entire community to get the opportunity to participate here properly, but this is barely possible considering the spread within the mania players, splitting up into different key amounts.

Tournament Setup

Because of this, we decided to make the osu!mania World Cup a double-tournament. This means, this world cup consists of two tournaments: 4k and 7k.
Why 4k and 7k? 4k and 7k are the most popular keyamounts here and provide the highest amount of beatmaps that we can use. Whereas 5k 6k and 8k are also very cool, the map base and player base is comparably low, as we consider 7K and 4K as the main modes in mania. This might change in future, but for now this is quite obvious and should be treated like that. (Moreover, many of the 5k and 6k players already picked up 4k or 7k here and are advancing quite good in it, so they can still participate if they practise enough!)

This basically means, we have a MWC-4K and a MWC-7k, each with 32 countries that can sign up! Yet you can only sign up for either 4k OR 7k! Not both!

Whenever you consider to participate, please PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE, so we can exclude any misunderstandings. Please be aware that this regulations exist across ALL world cups and will be enforced!

Team Setup

Furthermore, the MWC will be a 2v2 tournament. Even if mania is one of the bigger communities we have here, 2v2 seems the most appropriate considering that we actually accept 64 instead of 32 teams - at the end of the day, we will have as much individual players participating as in the osu! World Cup.
As in every world cup, the maximum team size is the double of the actual competing ones. In a 2v2 tournament, this means that your maximum team size will be 4. This is to ensure that you could possible substitute the entire team with another one in case the "core team" is absent. Please keep in mind that we do not accept rescheduling or scheduling wishes at all, because it is not possible to fulfill every wish of about 256 players participating here.

Tournament Schedule

As of the tournament schedule: First, we will start off with the group stage of the 7k bracket on one entire weekend, then the 4k group stage on the upfollowing one. The knock-out stages (RO16, etc.) of both brackets will happen on the same weekends after the groupstages, whereas we put 7k brackets on Saturdays and the 4k brackets on Sunday or vica versa - we do not mix them up and want to keep them seperated!

Mappools

About the mappools: We all know that playing modes is not of such a popular gain here in o!m, therefore we decided to pull off a different mappool structure - we will only have a FreeMod and a DoubleTime bracket (and a single tiebreaker). 7k and 4k will have seperated mappools for sure. Because we have less brackets, the mappools in total size will also be smaller but still enough to choose of. With only having FreeMod, the rule of "at least 1 player must play with at least one mode per team" will not be active. Pretty much, every map apart of DoubleTime is FreeMod and everyone can play with whatever mode they want, if they want.

Moreover, we are accepting map suggestions!. Most importantly is that we only accept submitted beatmaps, even tho they don't need to be ranked. They must be submitted so they get logged in the multiplayer logs appropriately - and to ensure that we can stream then, since the streaming client does only support submitted beatmaps. You can submit map suggestions HERE!

I would also like to mention that I am still looking for a dedicated map selector. Right now, we only have Agka and I don't want to leave him alone here. Keep in mind that selecting beatmaps for a world cup awards you with 1 year of supporter after fulfilling your service successfully. Anyways you will not be able to participate on the MWC as player then! (to keep it fair)

Please drop your opinions about the current concepts here. We can discuss the current setup in this thread and might improve the current given thing to make it more suitable and therefore more awesome for everyone of us. Please understand that not every suggestion can be considered due to the general design of a world cup. Yet we will try to explain you everything and to give you brief reasonings about stuff that goes on. Please keep the discussion in this thread civil and constructive. If somethng is unclear, feel free to ask.
Kamikaze
I have a question considering "READ THIS" thing. If I've been silenced, let's say 2 months ago for some minor thing (or by spamming via BanchoBot) and been clean after it, does it mean that I can't participate?
Topic Starter
Loctav
This is nothing you should worry about
Kamikaze
Okay then, looking forward to it! o/
I hope we get to see Ento's unranked maps in 7K
Fiea
so each country will send 2 teams, 4k and 7k teams. and each teams consist of 2-4 players, is that correct?
Topic Starter
Loctav
Exactly. If a country (e.g. Australia) particiates in 4k, it does not need to have a 7k team, too. Australia can appear in 4k and 7k, but dont need to. The 32 countries in 4k can be entirely different from the 7k bracket.
Drace
Since the map pool can contain unranked maps, do the maps in the map pool need to comply with the ranking criterias?

I'm talking about full difficulty spread, hitounds, 7k press and this mostly subjectional term people refer to as "overmapping".
Topic Starter
Loctav
difficulty spread is irrelevant, shitmaps wont get added (and overmapping results in shitmaps - this is decided case by case). the 7k press rule must be obeyed tho
Drace
hitsounds?
Topic Starter
Loctav
Not really, I think. Depends on the case. Notes should be audible self tho
Pinecone
Do you know when the first group stages will start?
Yuzeyun
Do MapSels need to be proficient at both 4 and 7K in order to be in ?
dionzz99

Loctav wrote:

Exactly. If a country (e.g. Australia) particiates in 4k, it does not need to have a 7k team, too. Australia can appear in 4k and 7k, but dont need to. The 32 countries in 4k can be entirely different from the 7k bracket.
so is that means a country can appear either 4k or 7k or even both??
Kamikaze

dionzz99 wrote:

Loctav wrote:

so is that means a country can appear either 4k or 7k or even both??
Yes.
Gon

Loctav wrote:

This basically means, we have a MWC-4K and a MWC-7k, each with 32 countries that can sign up! Yet you can only sign up for either 4k OR 7k! Not both!
Any reasons on why the same player can't join both for country?
Topic Starter
Loctav
That's actually a good question. I am a bit unsure about this, since I want to seperate the tournaments a bit and want to prize out 2 4K and 2 7K champions.
But thinking closer about it makes me wonder why you can not be both, if you have the time to participate on both!

Need more feedback by you guys on it.
Pinecone
+1 Do both
Kamikaze
Yes, this would save my team
#400 post yay
Cozzzy
This is cool, but I'm not really keen on two teams per country. A lot of countries (like UK, for example) can't play anywhere near full strength this way

I thought keymode would be like any other attribute of a map, and that substitutes would be for different things, like 4K or LN stuff, etc
Kamikaze

Cozzzy wrote:

This is cool, but I'm not really keen on two teams per country. A lot of countries (like UK, for example) can't play anywhere near full strength this way

I thought keymode would be like any other attribute of a map, and that substitutes would be for different things, like 4K or LN stuff, etc

Loctav wrote:

Cozzzy
Yeah, but then we can't just have one strong mania team and have to choose a keymode
Gon
I was thinking the same as you Cozzzy, that's why I brought the question up. Now the organizers can change that with more feedback/support (as per Loctav's post above, if i'm reading correctly), and then we can have:

- Same teams for 4k and 7k
- Different teams for 4k and 7k, with maybe 1 or 2 (or 3) same guys playing in both teams
- Two completely different teams for 4k and 7k

Aka full liberty with who we pick to represent our respective countries (mfw democracy) :!:
Topic Starter
Loctav
I consider supporting this full liberty concept by Gon. Therefore, you can create 2 teams or 1 team witj whoever you want. That seems quite okay for me.
R e x 1 0 0
Yeah! 4k tournament!
We will do our best!

Italy plays o!m
CephiCC
I like it. Who do I give my social security # to?
Sylviath
So if the same guy played 7K and 4K and win both, he gets both prizes too?
And they can still choose to participate in only 4K or 7K right?
+1 :3
Kamikaze
One question to clear my doubts: Is it now official that we can participate in both tournaments?
Topic Starter
Loctav

-Kamikaze- wrote:

One question to clear my doubts: Is it now official that we can participate in both tournaments?
We'll see. I dont want to put promises by now. The registration opens in a few days, so you will notice.
Sorarei

Chaotic Run wrote:

So if the same guy played 7K and 4K and win both, he gets both prizes too?
And they can still choose to participate in only 4K or 7K right?
+1 :3
7K & 4K have different event, so i guess both winner would get prize
Nyanderfull
does this tournament replace this?:
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/213360
Kamikaze

wanwan159 wrote:

does this tournament replace this?:
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/213360
No, these are separate tournaments.
This one is an official o!m world cup, while other one is just for fun
October Scream
You know what would be super cool?

Hard Rock and Random brackets •w•

Just a thought
nebbii
Sign me and wanwan159 up for 7k 8-)
Ayaya
I love this concept but I have questions about the Mappools section.

Loctav wrote:

Mappools

About the mappools: We all know that playing modes is not of such a popular gain here in o!m, therefore we decided to pull off a different mappool structure - we will only have a FreeMod and a DoubleTime bracket (and a single tiebreaker). 7k and 4k will have seperated mappools for sure. Because we have less brackets, the mappools in total size will also be smaller but still enough to choose of. With only having FreeMod, the rule of "at least 1 player must play with at least one mode per team" will not be active. Pretty much, every map apart of DoubleTime is FreeMod and everyone can play with whatever mode they want, if they want.
When you say there will be FreeMod and DoubleTime brackets, does that mean during the Double Time bracket it will only be DoubleTime or will FreeMod still be on for like HD/FL/FI?
Because I think FreeMod should be on for players who only can play with vision mod (also mods doesn't apply extra points)

also,

Loctav wrote:

With only having FreeMod, the rule of "at least 1 player must play with at least one mode per team" will not be active.
Can you explain this part, I can't comprehend this.

October Scream wrote:

You know what would be super cool?

Hard Rock and Random brackets •w•

Just a thought
Hard Rock bracket sounds good but like what i said above, will FreeMod still be on or will it only be Hard Rock.
For the Random Bracket, I don't know if that should be allowed mainly because wouldn't that mean everyone patterns will be different (wouldn't be fair then, pattern wise) even if everyone pattern is the same, it is unnecessary.
show more