forum

Dubbed vs Subbed Anime

posted
Total Posts

Choose after u've already read my post :3 Changes have been made, plz revote now!!!

Subbed Anime
89.89%
Dubbed Anime
3.37%
Raw
4.49%
Other (Reply plz >.<)
2.25%
Total votes: 89
show more
Kyonko Hizara
Most often I prefer subbed, and many anime I watch do not have dubs to begin with anyways. There are a few exceptions tho where I prefer the dub, which would include Black Lagoon as one of them. Some dubs seem a lot more fitting to the characters, while most often I feel that the VAs dull the personalities in the dubs.
Fabi
There aren't a lot of dubbed anime in spanish, just the few popular and old ones. You could make another poll for the language though. I prefer and watch most of the time with english subs.
Topic Starter
Lunatic Raccoon

tanteiRE wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info. No wonder I never recognized any of the dubbed voice actors/actresses, since sometimes I watch short dubbed clips by Funimation :)
Although now it seems that the vote is unanimous for sub xD

One example of an amazing American voice actress would Regina King, who I really like because she voices two of the three main, male characters in The Boondocks (not for kids though). hehe.

My favorite seiyuu would be Yui Horie. She did Naru from Love Hina, Hanyuu from Higurashi, Maria from Umineko, Charle from Fairy Tail, the list goes on..
The awesome thing about seiyuu is they often are great singers <3
I'm like totally obsessed with NGNL right now, so Kayano Ai might become a favorite, since Shiro is one of the cutest yet bad-ass characters out there..

I've heard the reason why people like dub more than sub is because it's hard to get used to watching and reading at the same time..?
Strangely enough, the first anime I've watched start to finish was Peach Girl, which I watched the first 5 episodes in dub and then the rest in sub. Probably a good thing cause there was a crap ton of cursing in the rest of the anime and I was 9 when I first saw it..
Which is reminds me of one more good thing about sub: as long as your parents or roommates don't understand Japanese, then you can play it as loud as you like (unless it's an ecchi, in that case, there'd be moaning and stuff o_o)
That's true, some Seiyuu who voice a character in the Anime, also sing for the OST (Some of my favorites are Renai Circulation, Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui - Hanazawa Kana (so long the name that i hav to copy from the web :lol:), Oracion - Kayano Ai, Perfect Slumbers - Horie Yui, μ's,...)

Kids aged under 10, slow readers, old people (least count) tend to listening more than reading, that's why we still need dubs on Anime :|

P/s: Dubbed "Moaning and Stuff" can do harm to your ears.... I think :o
Also about BoonDocks, it sounds like "Bulldogs" in some ways

Fabi wrote:

There aren't a lot of dubbed anime in spanish, just the few popular and old ones. You could make another poll for the language though. I prefer and watch most of the time with english subs.
The bad new is, i think i can't have two polls in one thread
Moreover, i guess the poll will not be... Accurate enough, since everyone would choose the dub from their country (Except for English-related languages)
Rumby
Subbed all the way. I cannot watch dubbed anymore. I don't feel like they are transpiring the right feeling when dubbing, as I prefer the Japanese way to express feelings.
Witch Mercy

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Most often I prefer subbed, and many anime I watch do not have dubs to begin with anyways. There are a few exceptions tho where I prefer the dub, which would include Black Lagoon as one of them. Some dubs seem a lot more fitting to the characters, while most often I feel that the VAs dull the personalities in the dubs.
QFT
Yuuribo
I prefer subbed way more than the dubbed.
lunarblue
subbed.. coz i never practise in front of ppl...
kirueggy
Subbed.

I tell you, watching Neptunia the Animation with english voiceovers is just horrendous.

(my sweet noire @_@)
Mogsy
It wholly depends on the show.

I like both English and Japanese acting, and if a dub's available, I'll give it a try. If it doesn't impress, I'll switch over to the sub. If sub's the only option, I don't mind it at all. I enjoy just hearing acting approaches in general, especially in different languages..

Dubs have, for the most part, gotten better since the 90s/early 2000s (unless you're, say, an NIS game), and sometimes something makes better background noise as a native English speaker if you're watching it in English.
Gumpy
Whatever I find as in the first one I find because i'm lazy.
Also Steins;Gate Dub is perfect.
Quest
I personally love the Japanese seiyuus and their kawaii, moe voices but that's from my perspective.
Others may love Dubbed for the English but the English is kind of weird and awkward to me, It literally sounds like crap to me, compared to
Subbed. One day, I would totally watch anime with Raws. :)
Everwhite
Personally, I think the majority of people would prefer subbed. Seiyuus are irreplaceable!
Kayano Ai forever ~
AutoMedic
Sub

Soul Eater dub is terrible
Raiken-
Sub.

Beacuse Dub is not original and it's irritating for me.
Mase
-
Justykanna
I actually posted a thread on this a while ago, asking the same thing, mostly because I got criticized for enjoying dub more.
t/125886
There's the link if you're interested in reading there.

Anyways.
I much prefer dub. I still watch subbed anime, mostly with anime that's still airing.
I like how I'm 2 of 44 people that enjoy dub more... super minority.

I'm one of those people that read pretty slowly so when there's two lines of text across my screen, with a subtitle on the top (informing us of something), I usually have to stop / go back to read it. Most subs don't result in this, but I'd rather hear than read on the anime, any day. That's why 'I' prefer dub. Needless to say, I read slower than the average person likely does.

Some people watch sub, then watch the dub and go 'that doesn't suit x-character' at all, when it's just a matter of two different people trying to portray the same character. If you watch a dub, then go to sub, are people gonna say the same thing? No, because the anime's the original.
People everywhere say "no, that dub is terrible" when said people just plain hate dub for no reason - other than "because it's English dub".

huycoihn wrote:

Kids aged under 10, slow readers, old people (least count) tend to listening more than reading, that's why we still need dubs on Anime
Pretty much. I'd be super sad if things stopped being dubbed.

Mogsworth wrote:

Dubs have, for the most part, gotten better since the 90s/early 2000s (unless you're, say, an NIS game), and sometimes something makes better background noise as a native English speaker if you're watching it in English.
Lols, yeah, I've noticed that with NIS too, sadly.
VoidnOwO
:)
Topic Starter
Lunatic Raccoon
Most of the people (or Otaku in general) prefer Sub to Dub

But there are ones who enjoy Dub also

Overall you should not be criticized just because you enjoy Dub more :lol:
neonat
RWBY dub is good (the japanese version)
Topic Starter
Lunatic Raccoon

neonat wrote:

Lol RWBY is not tipically considered an "Anime", because it was not produced in Japan
Tho its script is awesome and its art is Anime-based
Anyway I'd defintely choose dub in this case
DarkerStyle
You get the right feeling and emotion to it when it's in original voice actors, Sub all the way ~~ OwO
deadbeat

huycoihn wrote:

neonat wrote:

Lol RWBY is not tipically considered an "Anime", because it was not produced in Japan
Tho its script is awesome and its art is Anime-based
it's not considered anime, cause it's a webseries ._."
Topic Starter
Lunatic Raccoon

deadbeat wrote:

it's not considered anime, cause it's a webseries ._."
Yep it's a webseries, but an American one

"RWBY (pronounced [ˈrubi]) is an American animated web series created by Monty Oum for Rooster Teeth Productions" - Wikipedia
Taadashi
Subbed.

Anime never runs on TV in sweden haha. It's probably the most obsecure shit here eventhough it's been growing a lot larger lately.
-AGENT DJ ANGEL
I like both. It just depends on the anime or when dubbed if like the actor/actress voice.
Sapphiire_old_1
In general i prefer Subbed cause i like the original japense version expect for pokemon , dbz and avatar cause i grew up viewing them in english/dutch and hearing them in japenese now is just weird
B1rd
Most of the time dubs have better translation and better voice actors. Though occasionally the dubbed voice actors are better, a lot of the time when the story is set in a Western setting and not in Japan.

But still, subbed is still translated, and you still miss out on a lot of meaning, raw is definitely the best. Problem is you need to know Japanese..
FappyBabes
The jap voice sounds much nicer imo.
Cocaine dog

prky wrote:

How could anyone want to watch it dubbed, if they didnt watch it dubbed without knowing any better when they were younger or smthn

Subtitles masterrace
FappyBabes

Cocaine dog wrote:

prky wrote:

How could anyone want to watch it dubbed, if they didnt watch it dubbed without knowing any better when they were younger or smthn

Subtitles masterrace
[ Pingu ]
Honestly for me it depends what kind of anime it is. If it's a school anime like Lucky Star then I prefer Dubbed, however if it's something Childish like Doraemon, something with Horror like Highschool DxD or Action like SAO, then I prefer Subbed.
FappyBabes

[ Pingu ] wrote:

Honestly for me it depends what kind of anime it is. If it's a school anime like Lucky Star then I prefer Dubbed, however if it's something Childish like Doraemon, something with Horror like Highschool DxD or Action like SAO, then I prefer Subbed.
Lol you watch DxD for the horror? I doubt that.
Topic Starter
Lunatic Raccoon

prky wrote:

[ Pingu ] wrote:

Lol you watch DxD for the horror? I doubt that.
You don't watch Dxd for the horror...
Instead you should watch HOTD for... of course, the horror 8-)
Lyvarna
For mainstream series, I don't mind the dubbed versions; they're usually not that bad. However, I tend to lean towards subbed more, simply because the original voice actors usually do a better job at conveying the emotions in the characters. Plus, the mouths not moving with the words is one of my pet peeves T^T
DX5536
for about 90% i prefer sub, but animes like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, dub over sub. Some OP/ ED in dub sounds better in sub, like Suzuka's OP: Start Line
sesh
B1rd
anyone heard the dub of Evangelion? I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe.
Kurogamii
doesn't understand re-dubbed animus
even using my native language orz
[-Tsubomi-]
I love subbed better than any of the choices because you get to /learn/ japanese as well as watch the anime , the english dubs most of the time sound //shitty// and the raw , i just can't do without subtitles just yet so >.<