forum

[Archived] What is your problem (50 characters)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lumbergh
Problem Details: Poor FPS in "Borderless Windowed Mode".

Video or screenshot showing the problem: n/a

osu! version: 20140621.8 (latest)

When I play the game in fullscreen mode I don't have any issues but once I turn that off the FPS is poor visually but the FPS indicator still displays a high FPS. I waited until I saw many circles appear at once which is where the lag is most noticeable and looked down and saw 2,443 FPS.

I get around the same FPS in fullscreen mode but the game is perfectly smooth. This only started happening today. I played lastnight and it was fine. I've been using this setup in OSU for a while too and it's been working out fine.

i7-3770k
EVGA GTX 780ti Dual ACX
2x 8GB Crucial VLP 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
2560x1440 @ 105Hz + 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
Syntasu
Hello Lumbergh,

Im not an Osu! technical support or whatsoever, but i can give you some tips which you can try.

1. Are you sure that your FPS limit is set to "Unlimited", if so try setting it to VSync or 60 FPS.
2. Does switching between DirectX and OpenGL mode make any difference?
3. Have you tried to use an other/newer version of your video card drivers. My recommendations is to stay away from beta drivers.
4. Disable Windows Aero Style.
5. I'm seeing your using very high resolutions, maybe try a lower resolution (if available)

@Edit, read your post beter and read you got a high fps but its not smooth.
Try to find the load on the GPU and the temperature of the GPU, these both factors may affect stuttering.

And have you recently run any windows updates?
If so it may have caused it to update your drivers. You can undo this by device manager, selecting the screen adapter and hitting the "Previous driver" button. If its grayed out then there are no previous versions available.

I also tried to run it in border less mode and i have no problems or whatsoever. I hope this can help you determine the problem and solve it!
Topic Starter
Lumbergh

Rockstar93 wrote:

Hello Lumbergh,

Im not an Osu! technical support or whatsoever, but i can give you some tips which you can try.

1. Are you sure that your FPS limit is set to "Unlimited", if so try setting it to VSync or 60 FPS.
3. Have you tried to use an other/newer version of your video card drivers. My recommendations is to stay away from beta drivers.
5. I'm seeing your using very high resolutions, maybe try a lower resolution (if available)

If so it may have caused it to update your drivers. You can undo this by device manager, selecting the screen adapter and hitting the "Previous driver" button. If its grayed out then there are no previous versions available.

I also tried to run it in border less mode and i have no problems or whatsoever. I hope this can help you determine the problem and solve it!
Hey, thankyou.

1. Yes it's unlimited(gameplay).
2. Vsync adds input lag and isn't a good option for games, especially ones like OSU! Using Vsync would limit me to 105Hz and defeat the purpose of wanting such a smooth game as well. There's a noticeable difference to me in this game from the 100s to the thousands of FPS.
3. I don't use beta drivers, and I didn't change the drivers. I'm using the same ones that have worked previously in the game (337.88).
4. I have no reason to disable Aero, see system specs / problem just started occurring after the udpate.
5. It's not really "very high" it's only a step up from 1080p, and running LCD monitors out of native resolution makes text blurry and ruins the way some objects are displayed on the screen. I shouldn't have to lower my resolution see system specs.

It seems like you are coming to the conclusion that I have a problem running the game, based on the things you suggested. I appreciate the will to help me out, but want to inform you that the computer is more than capable of running OSU at 1440p with Aero enabled at very high FPS.

Edit: after replying I saw that you edited your reply...

There's nothing wrong with the GPU, temps and load are fine.. It's brand new and I monitor it in demanding games. I don't get graphics updates from Windows Updater, I get them from NVIDIA. No chipset updates or anything that can effect OSU has been updated by windows. Only Windows Defender updates, which I don't even use and don't affect OSU. I'd be glad to show you the proof of the temps and load. I'll reply soon with a screenshot after playing a beatmap (fullscreen / unlimited fps).
Topic Starter
Lumbergh
Syntasu

Lumbergh wrote:

Rockstar93 wrote:

Hello Lumbergh,

Hey, thankyou.

1. Yes it's unlimited(gameplay).
2. Vsync adds input lag and isn't a good option for games, especially ones like OSU! Using Vsync would limit me to 105Hz and defeat the purpose of wanting such a smooth game as well. There's a noticeable difference to me in this game from the 100s to the thousands of FPS.
3. I don't use beta drivers, and I didn't change the drivers. I'm using the same ones that have worked previously in the game (337.88).
4. I have no reason to disable Aero, see system specs / problem just started occurring after the udpate.
5. It's not really "very high" it's only a step up from 1080p, and running LCD monitors out of native resolution makes text blurry and ruins the way some objects are displayed on the screen. I shouldn't have to lower my resolution see system specs.

It seems like you are coming to the conclusion that I have a problem running the game, based on the things you suggested. I appreciate the will to help me out, but want to inform you that the computer is more than capable of running OSU at 1440p with Aero enabled at very high FPS.
Yes in a certain way, its more like ways of incompatibility that may prevent Osu from running well on you're machine.Getting back to the point of limiting your FPS, there is a phenomenon called "Tearing" where each frame overlaps and leaves a residue of the old frame making it feel not smooth. And VSync is not required, you can also limit to 60 fps w/o VSync.

Another thing could be that you dont have buffering enabled, which leads into lagg spikes. Enable Triple buffering in your GPU control panel.

Seen your screenshots, avg. 60% load on GPU with spike of 94% and a very decent temperature, sure no problem there. I see a lot of clutter on the background, maybe running to much processes which can lagg your system. If its below 70% load (without osu) its usually not an problem.

So thats all i got, if this doesnt work then i dont know what will fix it. Lets hopes it works :)
julchiar
It's most likely related to Aero, it does a few more hidden things than adding transparent GUI. If you search for input delay or something similiar you'll most likely find an answer to your problem, there are a bazillion threads about windowed mode being visually laggy.
Topic Starter
Lumbergh

julchiar wrote:

It's most likely related to Aero, it does a few more hidden things than adding transparent GUI. If you search for input delay or something similiar you'll most likely find an answer to your problem, there are a bazillion threads about windowed mode being visually laggy.
The issue here is I've been using Aero mode since I started playing this game, even with weaker systems and for several months using this system. It only now started happening, I should not have to change something on my computer to make up for an update that caused unsmooth gameplay.
Niervaco
I hope no one yells at me, but Areo isn't as affecting to gameplay to osu! as people say it is. I run with much lower system specs than lot of people, and play just fine with 60 FPS with Areo enabled. To be specific I'm running an Intel GMA 4500HD at 533 MHz. Also, running with a Core2 Duo E8500.

Of course not running in fullscreen means other Windows and elements are displayed. sometimes osu! lags and still displays high framerates are problems other than graphics. Such as when I attempt to record osu! with Bandicam. My Catch the Beat character lags like a turtle, stuttering and not moving, while fruits render and any SB or video renders fine.

To be honest, I do not have a current solution to this problem, but just keep my words in mind.
NoScreename
Borderless is basically Windowed mode without the borders of the window. And Windowed mode actually makes osu! harder to run. Try using Fullscreen mode with Native resolution. Borderless makes your computer show everything underneath the osu! client even when you don't need it. For example, the taskbar, desktop and the background processes will run along with osu! and put a huge load on the CPU. Also, try using the frame limiter. Sudden lag happens when there's no frame limiter and your computer runs as fast as it can, but something makes it lag and the FPS drops. Since you get 2k FPS, try using the 240 FPS frame limiter.
TheVileOne
I wouldn't use unlimited if you play windowed. I suggest using framelimiter or fullscreen. Your computer obviously can't handle drawing all those frames and your desktop at the same time.