forum

Sightreading better than played map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loves
Howcome I can get better accuracy and scores on a map that I sightread or play for the first time?

When I play again, it won't be as good as the first time but if I play it maybe 30 times later, I'll suck at that map...

answers?

Thanks
nrl
Same here, the first three plays of the session are usually the best.
Mizuno Yui
When you see the same stuff a large amount of times, you start ignoring at least a part of it. It's common.
Rewben2
Yeah, it's an awful feeling... I sightread a map and almost got a 200pp play (my best by far) but messed up at the very end. Tried playing it afterwards and couldn't even get 1/5 in without making a mistake. Similar story with a lot of other beatmaps.
Zare
mindgames
Mizuno Yui
You know what they say, repetition is the mother of learning nervous breakdowns.
RaneFire
Part of the problem is you come to realise the difficult parts of the map after your first play. On the second play you try to mentally prepare yourself for the hard sections and you get nervous as a result, also displacing your focus from parts that are easier, which can cause you to mess up on those too.
Mythras
Don't think just stare at the middle of the screen and let your osu powers take over. Also tea or coffee.
Topic Starter
Loves

VioletMaid wrote:

Don't think just stare at the middle of the screen and let your osu powers take over. Also tea or coffee.
I don't, i think i notice more things but at the same time, my unconscious cognition kicks in doing everything automatically, making it harder for me to read everything.
Pengoose
My tryhard strat is to literally follow every note (well if it's like squares or jumps); helps, at least me, focus more. And tea / coffee is op
daredakke
Sometimes the trick is to leave it for a good long while, say a month or two, before playing it again.

This only really happens if you forget about it after spending one retry too many one day.
Aria Kanzaki
I definately agree with this. Almost all of my scores are achieved within first 5 tries. Everytime I try to FC a song by repeating it, I break combo at the same spot, memorizing the beatmap wrong.
timemon
I keep repeating the songs over and over untill I'm exhausted, but it works.
When you feel like you don't care about miss anymore, you seem to miss a lot less lol.
tokaku
I think it's because you're more attentive to what's going on because it's the first time you're playing it and you have no idea what's going to appear next.
nooblet

tokaku wrote:

I think it's because you're more attentive to what's going on because it's the first time you're playing it and you have no idea what's going to appear next.
Yeah, this is what I think too. Like RaneFire says, the next time you think about the hard parts and ignore the easy(ier) parts and often get silly mistakes.
This is why unless it's multiplayer, I usually don't try on the first play, instead I try to get a hold of the patterns and flow of the map and then try to FC the second time. It's probably why I do a lot better on multiplayer though ...
iWhorse
if you play a map for the first time, you have no preconceptions about it

if you play it for more, you tense up at the hard parts because you know they're there
B1rd
I almost FC a map with some wierd star patterns, mess up near the end, retry, and can never do the star pattern ever again *sigh*

damn mental issues, the harder you try, the worse you do.
Fetish
Just use HD.
qwr

nooblet wrote:

tokaku wrote:

Yeah, this is what I think too. Like RaneFire says, the next time you think about the hard parts and ignore the easy(ier) parts and often get silly mistakes.
This is why unless it's multiplayer, I usually don't try on the first play, instead I try to get a hold of the patterns and flow of the map and then try to FC the second time. It's probably why I do a lot better on multiplayer though ...
I very much agree with this, osu demands a constant focus and maybe even some psychological "flow" (at a difficult level). In contrast with sightreading, when you're playing through another time, your brain knows what parts are difficult and marginalizes other parts, leading to silly misses. Complete focus is what you have to aim for.