forum

[resolved] osu! window being somewhat greedy?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XK2238
Problem Details:
I played since late 2011, so I know it definitely wasn't like this before. At first it wasn't much of a hindrance, but it gets more and more annoying as time passes.
</obligatoryprologue>

The osu! window tries to stay on top of other windows despite having the active window state switched/taken from osu!. Notice how osu!'s window state becomes inactive (with Chrome being the active one at the same time) when I clicked the Listing button. Emphasis is from :27 onwards.
Details explained through Post Edits (10 edits and counting)
Edit (1-2): The same occurrence applies to the Topic and Quick Reply buttons as well, whether selected with keyboard or mouse.

Edit (3): Found out after a bit more look-around that the "error" doesn't occur if the browser window is minimized before action, but only sometimes (unlike the old behavior which was always, regardless of browser being minimized or not).

Edit (4): This thing doesn't occur when accessing browser through the Edit mode (Edit mode > Web menu > Thread/Info/QR).

Edit (5~7): When Alt-Tabbing (on the FIRST press each time Alt is held down), instead of highlighting Chrome being second (like Windows always does), it highlights Desktop instead, despite being third. As you can see, osu! remains in the first position despite NOT being active (while Chrome is).

Edit (8-9): This thing occurs not just in the song selection screen; the user list panel (F9) has somehow fallen victim too (yes, both inside and outside the song selection screen, tested). Even programs that have opted to always stay on top cannot win over the osu! window. Interestingly enough, this thing doesn't happen in RANDOM times.
Below is the video, including a replication of the Alt-Tabbing part.

Edit (12): Happens on just about anything having to switch windows. Can't really say for sure since I haven't fully dug in though, I'm starting to get sick.

Any solution to restore the old, good better behavior will be appreciated.

osu! version: 20140620.11 (latest)
Actually this happened since quite a few updates ago, but this thing needs to stop now.
peppy
Doesn't happen here.
smoogipoo
I also cannot replicate this.
TicClick
I can confirm this is happening for a month maybe, if not more. I'll try replicating and posting the steps.
Topic Starter
XK2238

peppy wrote:

Doesn't happen here.
strange, I tried turning Windows Aero on and off again (not that joke), but it doesn't have any effect. One thing for sure is that I didn't tweak anything at all, and this glitch thing just showed up out of nowhere.

EDIT: Found out that the "error" doesn't occur if the browser window is minimized before action, but only sometimes (unlike before which was always).

Updated OP a bit more.
kurufu
Can confirm this has been happening to me for at least 2 months, Win 8.1, playing Borderless Fullscreen. Its incredibly infuriating but it only happens when playing a song, on score screen, in multi playing. It doesnt happen for me when I am in menus, song list, multi lobby, or watching replays/spec'ing (i feel like it used to tho).

I guess its ok when playing because i dont want pop-ups interrupting (read: skype, steam, etc). But in multi its annoying just about everywhere else it happens, in multi i may die and want to alt-tab to wait out the song, and in general anytime im not actually playing i want to alt-tab...
Granger
Happens here too, sometimes. Im using Alt+ Tab to switch between screens but sometimes the "playfield" (contents of the osu window but not the window frame) will stay ontop and react as if in the active state.
Dexus
I can confirm, it's pretty annoying.
Topic Starter
XK2238
Had a discussion with TicClick regarding the topic and we can't seem to conclude where the actual source of the problem is; it happens at a random frequency and our game clients acted differently. I'd really appreciate it if someone can point it out more precisely or give a handful of steps in replicating those errors, thanks.

why do I feel like osu! problems on my side tend to be unsolvable?
Catgirl
I've noticed this for quite a while now. I usually have to re-activate the osu! window and then switch to the window I'm trying to open (usually Chrome).

I use my Windows key to be able to do this, but after I've failed in a multiplayer match for example and the Windows key does not work, I'm forced to Alt+Tab and the osu! window gets stuck on top regardless of what I try to switch to.
peppy
Attempted to fix this.
Topic Starter
XK2238
alright, thanks a lot!

Now for someone to move this thread into the Resolved section, maybe? :roll:
peppy
is it fixed?
Dexus
Fixed on my end, I don't seem to get the problem anymore. I tried a lot of stuff that opens new windows from osu! it no longer takes the window focus when starting up neither which is nice.
Topic Starter
XK2238
//latereply: yeah, fixed.

Dexus wrote:

Fixed on my end, I don't seem to get the problem anymore. I tried a lot of stuff that opens new windows from osu! it no longer takes the window focus when starting up neither which is nice.
I still get this one, but it isn't much of a bother for me, so it's good enough.