Total Posts
show more
winber1
i dont understand how everyone needs to practice hidden

play nomod, learn hd

like thats it gg

nooblet wrote:

Granger wrote:

If you start memorizing the song instead improving your reading then you're doing hidden wrong, even if it works.
Memorizing is for FL.
Yes, most maps can be sight read with HD, but what he is (probably?) trying to say is that there are maps that definitely do require small bits of memorizing if you want to play it with HD, maps like this.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/79725
Zalaria
As a hidden user myself, try to get a feel for the bpm and rhythm of whatever map you are playing by listening to the song for a few seconds before actually playing the map. That usually works for me. Some maps are weird to read with hidden, and take a bit of memorization to get the patterns. Don't get discouraged if you miss a note, that's completely normal and part of the learning process. (I miss notes all the time lol) Hope that helped! ^^;
Coffee Hero

Zalaria wrote:

As a hidden user myself, try to get a feel for the bpm and rhythm of whatever map you are playing by listening to the song for a few seconds before actually playing the map.
You should be doing this all the time no matter the mods.
Zalaria

Shirokami- wrote:

Zalaria wrote:

As a hidden user myself, try to get a feel for the bpm and rhythm of whatever map you are playing by listening to the song for a few seconds before actually playing the map.
You should be doing this all the time no matter the mods.
I knew that ^_^;
daredakke
Don't blink, listen and pay attention.

I should practice this mod more.
nrl

tokaku wrote:

I don't like using hidden, it's usually for score farming and it doesn't really show skill because you basically memorise where the notes are and use the fade out as a approach rate.
I cold-read HDHR on the daily. No memorization is needed.
Filthy Casual
I stuggle to play AR9/10 without HD, as soon as I put on HD everything becomes so much easier for me for some reason
vsprite
you need a good hitsound to play hidden efficiently. Always listen to the rhythm and tempo of the song. With practice, you'll adapt quickly to each song.

For unpredictable beatmaps, it is quite hard to play with hidden so try playing with more concentration, and focus on the parts you are messing up most. timing single notes in hidden is always hard, even for high ranks, so i would say to try and time note with the beat of the song.
Setsuen
Play no mod first and master it before trying HD
I tried HD before I even did Insanes on both Standard and CTB........... and now I'm having problems trying to PASS songs no mod.........
B1rd
Why do no-mod if you can do hidden?
Yakuyan
Hidden is my main mod and always use it. I think what you need for hidden is probably...

1. Predicting Rhythms
2. Knowledge of Patterns
3. Get a skin where you can easily see a circle that is overlapped. (<---Biggest essential)
4. Last, but not least, .....patience.
CXu
Hidden is only a visual mod, so the map itself doesn't really get harder to play.
A good idea is to play maps you've already done well on/FCd with nomod, with hidden. This way, it's easier to pick up on the different visual cues in hidden, as you know how something should be played, and can pair that up directly with what you see on the screen.
After you're used to how hidden plays, it's more or less the same as playing nomod, except hidden notes.

For those, you'll either have to memorize, or predict/guess as you play. You get better at this as you play more maps and get better at the game.
Just as an example of prediction: let's say there is a note stacked under a slider during the first kiai time of a map. You hit this one, as you can see it due to stack leniency. When the same section comes during the second kiai, you can't see the note at all because of the shape of the slider. You can still predict a note being there, if there's nothing else appearing that would follow the same rhythm (i.e 1/2), and you know the rhythm for this section from earlier.

Also, skin and hitsound might help you at playing hidden, but they're generally not necessary to play well with hidden at all.
Topic Starter
Bengon

xxdeathx wrote:

hidden is shit mod, never used it and never need it until you're under 5k rank. it's not something that regular people need to play osu.
TBH I'm only trying to learn it is because its the only mod I really struggle on. The others which could be considered much more hard like DT or maybe FL I can at least do on some maps. HD on the hand I can't do at all no matter the difficulty or familiarity with it.

Also as an experiment I tried removing the approach circles from my skin and tried playing some songs with it. Surprisingly enough I found that was actually able to do the song quite well and didn't make all that many mistakes. However when I tried to do HD again I ended up doing pretty bad. Realizing that I thought that maybe the reason I'm not doing well is because the beats disappear shortly after appearing? The thing is though is that I never real had much trouble with finding the beats as I usually payed really good attention so I'm not sure why I still mess up.
winber1
hidden is an ass on low ar sometimes. the higher the ar generally the easier it is to read notes on hidden. looking at your rank, that may be part of the problem depending on what maps you are playing.
Kaeru

tokaku wrote:

it doesn't really show skill because you basically memorise where the notes are and use the fade out as a approach rate.
Wait.. what? Since when did HD ever require any memorization of any kind? I've played some really, really hard maps with HD.. and I've never had to memorize even one circle. It's all just sight-reading. And when did it require no skill..? By your logic, AR 11 requires no skill because the circles are in the same place so you just need to "memorize" where they are and then move your cursor the same way you would as if the song was AR 9.

I think HD is a great mod to learn, especially because you can combine it with any other mod. It's also a lot of fun playing maps with HD, and it will help improve your reaction time and reading skills.
nrl

CXu wrote:

Just as an example of prediction: let's say there is a note stacked under a slider during the first kiai time of a map. You hit this one, as you can see it due to stack leniency. When the same section comes during the second kiai, you can't see the note at all because of the shape of the slider.
Not a problem with a transparent skin.
Rokusho

Kaeru wrote:

tokaku wrote:

it doesn't really show skill because you basically memorise where the notes are and use the fade out as a approach rate.
Wait.. what? Since when did HD ever require any memorization of any kind? I've played some really, really hard maps with HD.. and I've never had to memorize even one circle. It's all just sight-reading. And when did it require no skill..? By your logic, AR 11 requires no skill because the circles are in the same place so you just need to "memorize" where they are and then move your cursor the same way you would as if the song was AR 9.

I think HD is a great mod to learn, especially because you can combine it with any other mod. It's also a lot of fun playing maps with HD, and it will help improve your reaction time and reading skills.
What do you mean with 'hard' maps? If you mean just high difficulty maps, memorizing won't really be needed. But maps with bad rhytm maps or stacks, are not always sight readable. Try sightreading this map, then you can say you don't need memorization to play hidden imo.
nrl

trololol123 wrote:

Try sightreading this map, then you can say you don't need memorization to play hidden imo.
You don't need memorization to play hidden.
InControL_old
Play songs with hidden mod even if its your first time. It really helps that way
SnowflakeStreet
You need to be able to read well and you need to follow the music.
Fahe
Pretty much everything has been said (even the dumb "memorization" stuff), I'll just add that it helped me quite a bit to forget the approach circles and focus on the rhythm of the map, so if you feel like playing it, go ahead and enjoy yourself ^^