forum

Decimal difficulty settings

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nrl
Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

The most recent patch brought non-integer difficulty settings. Am I missing something, or does this mean we're gonna start to see AR9.x beatmaps floating around at some point?
winber1
yes.

i will be new cs 4.6 mapper fag

beware
Dexus
Tables when.
TCLCNiche
AR memorisation suddenly got real.
Pettanko
we're gonna start seeing threads like "guys, how can i make the transition from ar 8.9 to ar 9.0?"
GoldenWolf

Pettanko wrote:

we're gonna start seeing threads like "guys, how can i make the transition from ar 8.9 to ar 9.0?"
pls no
Topic Starter
nrl

Dexus wrote:

Tables when.
Why not just make graphs? Shouldn't be hard.
Full Tablet

Dexus wrote:

Tables when.
Wouldn't they just be a linear interpolation of the current tables?

For example: OD values are interpolated from previous tables and then rounded down (like they did with decimal values with HR)
Dexus
aww yiss, tables.

I just want to see how the timings go so I can just skip some stuff. Currently I'm on vacation and the decimal stuff came out while I've been away so I haven't really looked into it.
El Koko

Pettanko wrote:

Oh god I'm so looking forward to this
Dexus
Looking at how huge that OD table is I would just say get rid of anything below OD4 and then convert to new numbers.

OD4 should be OD1 and OD10 should be OD7 then we can have higher OD settings.
Lots of people can probably agree that OD10 is pretty average and there should be higher more strict settings to really push people's accuracy.

New OD
OD4 ->OD1
OD5 ->OD2
OD6 ->OD3
OD7 ->OD4
OD8 ->OD5
OD9 ->OD6
OD10 ->OD7
:idea: OD11 ->OD8 [14ms no mod]
:idea: OD12 ->OD9 [10ms no mod]
:shock: OD13 ->OD10 [6ms no mod]
There would be decimal settings in-between same as it currently is

Or you could start from lower numbers since there are dependencies from current maps in place. Speaking of that, what is the lowest OD ranked map anyways?

Edit: did a better example for a shift in numbers, but I'm thinking there would be a problem to get old maps to recognize the change.
Full Tablet

Dexus wrote:

Or you could start from lower numbers since there are dependencies from current maps in place. Speaking of that, what is the lowest OD ranked map anyways?
Some ranked maps use OD0 (some Easy maps or old maps like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/259 ). OD7 or higher is usually present in Insane difficulties or some Hards (and there are a few Insanes that use lower than OD7 like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/261524 or https://osu.ppy.sh/b/203906 )

I think that if higher OD settings become available, then they should be assigned to higher values than 10 (while keeping the lower than 10 values untouched), up to OD12 (with 6ms time frame). Also this could require changing what the HR mod does (it could have a new effect only for settings above 10), changing the time frame like it does in osu!mania is an option (X% smaller time frame without changing the OD value itself, where X could be a value like 40 more or less).

Also, currently, even for the most accurate players, OD12 in that case would be very hard; the maps would be nearly unplayable for mostly everyone unless the HP drain is rather low, and getting S or even A ranks would be pretty hard.
Dexus
yay for old stuff preventing fun new stuff
chox_old

Dexus wrote:

Looking at how huge that OD table is I would just say get rid of anything below OD4 and then convert to new numbers.

OD4 should be OD1 and OD10 should be OD7 then we can have higher OD settings.
Lots of people can probably agree that OD10 is pretty average and there should be higher more strict settings to really push people's accuracy.

New OD
OD4 ->OD1
OD5 ->OD2
OD6 ->OD3
OD7 ->OD4
OD8 ->OD5
OD9 ->OD6
OD10 ->OD7
:idea: OD11 ->OD8 [14ms no mod]
:idea: OD12 ->OD9 [10ms no mod]
:shock: OD13 ->OD10 [6ms no mod]
There would be decimal settings in-between same as it currently is

Edit: did a better example for a shift in numbers, but I'm thinking there would be a problem to get old maps to recognize the change.

sounds good, but probably would be unplayable to most (including me ^^ ), like imagine ar8 od13
Dexus
Well that's the thing, common players currently play at OD7 or OD8, there are almost no OD9 maps and lots of the more skilled players can play with DT or HR (both of which push the OD higher to 10 or beyond). With the implementation of decimal ratings then you can really get a variety of map settings now but it's still limited. OD13 would be reserved for top players since some people can hit -5 +5 (I commonly get -/+7 on good days with -/+10 on bad days). It's like how the star rating is set up now to where having 10 stars really shows that a map is really hard.

HR gives accuracy issues only because a person can't read it correctly, DT OD8 requires almost as much accuracy as OD10 and I've asked people to compare and they can do DT OD8 and they struggled at HR, it's the way the stacks are shown and how many notes are on screen that cause the struggle. Tighter timing windows wouldn't be impossible, just really difficult which is what they should be reserved for. Plus more maps would be able to hit those higher star ratings without creating impossible aim maps

I wish there was a way to have all the old maps read and shifted in settings so everything became compatible. Thinking about it, I do agree with full tablet about leaving the current numbers due to compatibility sake, but the current scores in place would be a problem to recalculate with higher OD with hard rock.

The end goal of this is just so there would be less mod usage and more focused skill playing. Too many players slap HR+HD / DT+HD on easy maps and drone out until they get good accuracy by luck/memorization, or on the other spectrum the top players get bored with how easy it is to hit HR+HD on maps (DT always gives a challenge due to high bpm). With maps that are on par with the difficulty of maps+mods then there would be less mods used and more reserved for highly skilled players, thus higher rewards are to be had.