forum

Muscle Memory changes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DahplA
So, recently I haven't played osu as much and my previous sensitivity on osu was x3.71. When I jumped back on, it felt really bad and way to fast, even though I was previously used to it. Now, what I decided to do was raise my windows sensitivity up to slightly match this, but bringing it lower and having my osu sensitivity to x1.21 to compensate. However, my fear is that I won't perform as well on maps I could previously FC (I haven't had this problem yet). Will this help me improve my mouse movement by being able to get used to the sensitivity outside of osu, or will this screw me over forcing me to re-learn my control?
Noobsicle
should change osu! sensitivity to 1.0x, instead make your dpi/windows sensitivity higher if possible and experiment with different settings

for me, my mouse acts funny if my osu! sensitivity is above/below 1.0 and it screws with muscle memory
Oinari-sama
Generally speaking, lower sensitivity gives more accurate cursor movements, while having to move your mouse more.

Why not take this as an opportunity to learn x1.0? You can always crank it back up later if you feel there's a need.
Ichi
osu! sens 1.0x, you should do that in my opinion. As stated above try to change windows config on that aspect.
Topic Starter
DahplA
I forgot to explain. I cannot change my dpi simply because I don't think this mouse can (cheap spare). My windows sensitivity is on its highest setting possible.
Dexus
Get a new mouse with adjustable dpi, a good laser, and a decent amount of polling.

If you can afford it get this http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BCHGSWE
If you're on a budget get this http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B005CPGHAA

try to avoid touching the windows mouse settings because they skip pixels (you become less accurate), adjust your mouse dpi directly instead.
dpi could be anything from 400 to 1000+; whatever is comfortable for you. Just keep in mind lower dpi is more accurate with higher strain.
osu! should stay at 1.0x windows should stay at 6/11.

And it goes without saying: disable all mouse acceleration everywhere
Topic Starter
DahplA

Dexus wrote:

Get a new mouse with adjustable dpi, a good laser, and a decent amount of polling.

If you can afford it get this http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BCHGSWE
If you're on a budget get this http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B005CPGHAA

try to avoid touching the windows mouse settings because they skip pixels (you become less accurate), adjust your mouse dpi directly instead.
dpi could be anything from 400 to 1000+; whatever is comfortable for you. Just keep in mind lower dpi is more accurate with higher strain.
osu! should stay at 1.0x windows should stay at 6/11.

And it goes without saying: disable all mouse acceleration everywhere
Ok I will try to acquire these bits of equipment. For now, what should I do if I want to have my osu sensitivity on x1.0 and 6/11 windows sensitivity (to stop pixel skipping?)

Edit: Is it also possible to change dpi anytime wanted?
Dexus
You only need one of those mice, and yes you can press a button to cycle through the dpi or use the drivers to change it.

To change osu! mouse sensitivity just go into the option and set it to 1.0x; for windows you go into the control panel and change the mouse settings, you'll have to count each tick (there's 11) count 6 from the left and that's where you should place it. Disable "Enhance pointer precision" as well, it's in that same window.

Your window should look like this

tokaku
I feel your fear. I usually get paranoid to change my tablet area in fear that I wouldn't perform as well as before. Just keep playing with the new style, you should be able to cultivate the muscle memory for it in a week if you play heavily.
Topic Starter
DahplA

Dexus wrote:

You only need one of those mice, and yes you can press a button to cycle through the dpi or use the drivers to change it.

To change osu! mouse sensitivity just go into the option and set it to 1.0x; for windows you go into the control panel and change the mouse settings, you'll have to count each tick (there's 11) count 6 from the left and that's where you should place it. Disable "Enhance pointer precision" as well, it's in that same window.

Your window should look like this

I know that much, but by reducing my windows and osu sensitivity it will be harder to play osu that currently.
Dexus
then when you get a new mouse increase the dpi, it does the same thing but it's more accurate.
Topic Starter
DahplA
So would you recommend I wait until I get a new mouse to play osu, or should I continue to play with the messed up settings I have currently
Noobsicle
should get this, i think they're very common to find in australia and its not too expensive

it's not up to us to decide for you if you have to play osu! or not lol, keep playing if you want
Topic Starter
DahplA
Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate them.
Fahe
Try doing it progressively (and you can also adjust the game's resolution to do that).
I was playing on 1600x1800 dpi on a 1024x768 resolution 3 months ago, and I couldn't stream because of cursor control.

Progressively lowered down the dpi on each axis of the mouse, then increased the screen resolution, and I'm now playing on 1000x1200 dpi for the mouse on a 1920x1080 screen resolution.
At the begining you feel less accurate on pretty much everything but stick to it and you'll get used at one point.
Now I still can't stream, but that's because my left hand messes up, cleaned up pretty much my aim, now I can work on rhythm and speed building

edit : I got a logitech G400s and it's amazing compared to the razer imperator I had previously
chox_old
reposting
Dexus
That list is out of date. I would recommend not sharing it anymore.
chox_old

Dexus wrote:

That list is out of date. I would recommend not sharing it anymore.
how come it's out of date? was there revolution in mouse industry or something? unless you mean interpolated 8200 dpi and sniper button 360 noscope, then yeah sure it changes everything ;)
Noobsicle

chox wrote:

how come it's out of date?
lack of g502 proteus core

well there's a heap of new optical mice coming out soon anyways (like cm storm's version of the IE3.0). some of the newer and better mice with PWM 3310/ADNS-3310 sensors aren't mentioned in this list
B1rd
what is your opinion on the proteus core noob?

IMO for mouse, it doesn't really matter too much as long as the sensor is optical and flawless, shape is up to personal preference.
Noobsicle
shape is amazing, apparently its similar to the g500 if you've ever tried that. the mouse itself is slightly heavy so its kinda hard to do l33t$Vv@G snaps, a weight system comes with the mouse but i don't use it cause im a weak noob

for me, the proteus core is better than the zowie ec1 evo (previous mouse), simply because the shape fits my grip more, i think the ec1 evo was too big for my small hands ._.

right now, there's a lot of mice with nice sensors, its up to you to test out the shape and pick one that you like isn'tthisgoingofftopiclol
B1rd
Hm yeah the only reason I didn't get the proteus core was because of the weight, I think it matters more at higher sensitivity.
SnowflakeStreet
So I just turned off "Enhance pointer precision" and it feels like I unlearned all my muscle memory.

Is it worth going back and relearning all my osu mechanics without mouse acceleration?
YukinoDesuDesu

recursion78 wrote:

So I just turned off "Enhance pointer precision" and it feels like I unlearned all my muscle memory.

Is it worth going back and relearning all my osu mechanics without mouse acceleration?
yes it is
SnowflakeStreet

Asiangodx2 wrote:

recursion78 wrote:

yes it is
Alright, time to practice on some noob maps! :D
D e s
i dont know if muscle memory changes when you switch sens, i used other sens for month or more i think then changed back to old sens, still play ok
Topic Starter
DahplA

recursion78 wrote:

If you've had mouse acceleration on this whole time, learning will be slightly difficult. For me, after a few hours I got the feel of how it worked and it is just a massive change for the better.
Insyni
So is this a decent mouse for maintaining muscle memory? I couldn't find it on the list....

Would it be worth considering getting another?

Edit: Ty B1rd
B1rd
nothing wrong with that mouse I think, of course a gaming mouse would be better.
chox_old

recursion78 wrote:

no, you haven't had any muscle memory at all, because acceleration is random